I just bought my first playstation and G.O.W apparently isn't for me? PS3 recommendations ?

I'd like to thank all those who posted in another thread I made last night. The comments you made have really helped pick me up. Its nice to hear from nice people.

Well i decided to go out today and go to game stop where i looked at the games they had and not seeing any that interested me on the Xbox. (Which is the only current gen console i own beside Nintendo DSI XL) So i looked at the PlayStation 3 wall and started noticing games I have never played and i wanted to try them.

I went to a walmart and bought the PS3 500 GB limited edition white bundle pack with 1 year free subscription to psplus. I think of this as my birthday gift to myself. I headed back to GS and picked up the GOD of War saga.

Now God of war 1 is where i started.
The controls seemed a bit off but i wasn't expecting them to be perfected in the first installment.
First complaint. Why cant i control the camera? I think the camera is designed to hate me.
Second complaint. Why is it when i open chests or doors, I have to mash the buttons to open them? Wouldn't a simple push of the button to open the door be better instead of holding the R buttom and mashing another button?

I got to the first boss and found the battle to seem epic at the beginning but it became a battle with my patience. I kept trying to put down the first two heads of the hydra only to have them regenerate. This went on for quite a while before I realized that i had to climb up and jump on these things to impale them. Why did it take so long? I Couldn't look around to see the crates I had to climb because I can't control the CAMERA! Now I'm at the final head and this part gets really frustrating. It will scream at you knocking you off the thing your standing on to fight it. I don't even want to know how many times i climbed up those rope things to fight it before i figured out the dodge role can stop it. After QTEing this creature to death i finally made it to the next area...

Third complaint. QTE's can be annoying to me but if they don't happen on more than just a boss I can ignore the irritation... The Minotaur requires me to mash the circle button till i kill it followed by another creature with a ball and chain attack. When two of the guys killed me because i messed up the QTEs a few times i decided it was time to try another game.

GOW 2

Well i still can't control the camera and the doors... Then im killed by the boot of a statue because i was surprised the first time and failed the QTE the second time. Then i walked off a ledge...

That's the end of my first GOW experience and i plan to continue the first one tomorrow to see if i can enjoy this game.

Any tips for these games?

I'm downloading ratchet & clank all 4 one and then I'm going to download infamous 2.

I've played Kingdom hearts before on a PS2.

Hmm the only 3 recommendations I can think of at this point is.
-Ni no Kuni: Curse of the white witch, an anime-esk take on the rpg genre, check out the free demo on PSN before buying.
-Journey, fun game on PSN
-Little Big Planet Series, fun Platformer all around. Good if you have some friends that come over too so you can slap em.

Infamous is great, I'd even recommend playing the first

ratchet and clank all for one is ok, I'd go with Infamous first

get Megaman 9 and 10 they are both on ps+ right now and friggin awesome

If you like RPG's Playstation store has all the PS1 classics

As for general game recommendations in no particular order- Prototype, Valkyria chornicles, outland, just cause 2, dead/demon souls, red dead redemption, resistance fall of man,

The Uncharted Series is one of my favorite this gen. Definitely check it out.

Civilization Revolution

Sleeping Dogs

Twisted Metal

Dragon's Dogma

Dishonored

SSX

Persona 4: Arena

3D Dot Game Heroes

Blur

Brutal Legend

Demon's Souls

Dark Souls

Disgaea 4

Dragon Age: Origins (Ultimate Edition)

Earth Defense Force: Insect Armageddon

Folklore

Front Mission: Evolved

Heavy Rain

Killzone 3

ModNation Racers

Portal 2

Ratchet & Clank Future

Rayman Origins

Red Faction: Guerrilla

Katamari Forever

Ico/SotC HD Collection

Valkyria Chronicles

Vanquish

Yakuza 4

I guess I'll have to be "that" Escapist and list the titles I have on me. To save some time, the first list will be for games that I feel you might enjoy based on the fact that you picked up God of War, while the second will be the rest of my collection, in case you might want to try other genres.

-Assassin's Creed series
-Uncharted series
-Lego Star Wars: The Complete Saga
-Batman Arkham Asylum
-Infamous series
-Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction

-Sonic Unleashed
-Sonic Generations
-Rayman Origins
-El Shaddai
-Vanquish
-Final Fantasy 13 & 13-2
-Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm 1 & 2
-Bioshock 1 & 2
-Metal Gear Solid 4
-Resistance 2 & 3
-Dead Space 2
-Rock Band
-Guitar Hero: World Tour

Personally, I really like God Of War, but as for games that *you* might like:
Infamous
Uncharted
Resistance
Those are the ones I like anyway, there's also
Ratchet and Clank
Killzone

You know, just go down the PS3 exclusive list until you find something you like.

If that bothers you about the first God of War game, then don't play the others. They're all rather littered with shitty platforming and lack of camera control (the camera angle will sometimes actually change mid-jump. MID-JUMP! How is that a good idea?). Bayonetta would probably be more to your liking. The sheer spectacle kept me playing God of War, but I'll never revisit that series.

As for recommendations, see above. I hear Journey is amazing too, but I've not gotten to it yet. I haven't turned on my PS3 since October, so I'm scared about all the firmware updating and game patching I'll have to do when I get back to it.

If you like good platformers and haven't played them before on the PS2:

Sly Cooper HD collection
Ratchet & Clank HD collection

Uncharted,LittleBigPlanet and InFamous are all solid series. Resistance is good too, but you can skip the second one, its by far the lesser in the series.

Also, Valkyria Chronicles. There's no game quite like it.

Okami HD. Get it.

Or I will kill 1 hostage every hour.

Also, Team Ico collection.

I recommend all of them. They aren't all PS3 exclusive, but they're all beautiful games.

All suggestions are games I own or have previously owned.[1]

Before the inevitable "You forgot X Title(s) in Y Series." If it's not up there, I've never personally owned a copy.

[1] Games marked Game of the Year are my personal Game of the Year.

The Devil May Cry series if you want games of the same genre, but without the QTE's.

WARNING: They also have fixed cameras for most areas though.

crimsonshrouds:

I went to a walmart and bought the PS3 500 GB limited edition white bundle pack with 1 year free subscription to psplus. I think of this as my birthday gift to myself. I headed back to GS and picked up the GOD of War saga.

Um if you have Plus see if InFamous 2 is still on it, if so get that, if not go buy it anyway.

Uncharted is good but not my favourite, Resistance 1 and 3 are mandatory playing, the Killzone games are fun, Sly trilogy is worth checking out if you haven't yet, etc.

chimpzy:
If you like good platformers and haven't played them before on the PS2:

Sly Cooper HD collection
Ratchet & Clank HD collection

Uncharted,LittleBigPlanet and InFamous are all solid series. Resistance is good too, but you can skip the second one, its by far the lesser in the series.

Also, Valkyria Chronicles. There's no game quite like it.

Resistance 2 is the lesser of the trilogy but I should point out it's far froma bad game. I think there's a trilogy box set, same with Killzone, for like 35, so probably like $50.

I recommend ninja gaiden sigma 2 and bayonetta.

I am having so much fun with them at the moment.

All these are exclusives since I see you own a 360
--------
The Uncharted series is fantastic, you have to give it a try, so I'll recommend that again.

Heavy Rain is a really interesting story-based game that really sucks you in.

Valkyria Chronicles is one of the best tactical RPGs of the generation, it has a very unique combat system that honestly does force you to clear out the sniper point, use the sniper to give covering fire across a large courtyard allowing you to run the scouts over to capture the point, where you bring in the storm troopers and lay down fire.

Little Big Planet 2 is pretty much the most creative platformer ever made. In terms of pure gameplay mechanics, it's okay, but it has a level editing system that allows people to make anything, including 1st person shooters! There are millions of levels to try out, each completely different from the last and if you can get into the creation tools, then there's room for pretty much anything you care to imagine. (Although mostly 2D, the guy who made the 1st person shooter was some kind of technical genius). It's tone goes something like this

Motorstorm Pacific Rift(or Apocalypse, I haven't really checked it out) is a fun little racer, offering arcade racing in beautiful environments and you can race in everything from Quadbikes to Big Trucks, each with it's own playstyle and way to get through the course. It's not a mindblowing game but it's very good.

The Metal Gear Solid series is worth checking out, buy the HD pack or the 1st/2nd game and if you like it, play the rest of them. It's an incredible story based stealth game (and the franchise invented the stealth genre) but also very divisive.

Are you a US citizen? In that case definitely buy Persona 3/4 off the PSN. They're considered to be some of the best JRPGs of all time, mixing up a modern tone and a sort of relationship sim with JRPG gameplay.

Killzone 3 is a very good looking cover based shooter

Resistance 3 is by the guys who made Ratchett and Clank and combines the inventive gunplay with a more standard sci-fi setting. Yahtzee praised it.

Yakuza 4 is sort of a strange Japanese GTA. Play the demo and decide if you like it or not.

inFamous 2 is a fantastic open world super power-based game. I think + might allow you to play this one for free (and if you haven't yet, find out which games you get for free with Playstation Plus)

----------------------
I think those are the best of the best. If you've got some specific tastes, there are more niche games out there (Tokyo Jungle, Folklore, Fat Princess) which could be recommended. And all the Final Fantasies up to IX, so those might be interesting to you

crimsonshrouds:
I'd like to thank all those who posted in another thread I made last night. The comments you made have really helped pick me up. Its nice to hear from nice people.

Well i decided to go out today and go to game stop where i looked at the games they had and not seeing any that interested me on the Xbox. (Which is the only current gen console i own beside Nintendo DSI XL) So i looked at the PlayStation 3 wall and started noticing games I have never played and i wanted to try them.

Now God of war 1 is where i started.
The controls seemed a bit off but i wasn't expecting them to be perfected in the first installment.
First complaint. Why cant i control the camera? I think the camera is designed to hate me.
Second complaint. Why is it when i open chests or doors, I have to mash the buttons to open them? Wouldn't a simple push of the button to open the door be better instead of holding the R buttom and mashing another button?

I got to the first boss and found the battle to seem epic at the beginning but it became a battle with my patience. I kept trying to put down the first two heads of the hydra only to have them regenerate. This went on for quite a while before I realized that i had to climb up and jump on these things to impale them. Why did it take so long? I Couldn't look around to see the crates I had to climb because I can't control the CAMERA! Now I'm at the final head and this part gets really frustrating. It will scream at you knocking you off the thing your standing on to fight it. I don't even want to know how many times i climbed up those rope things to fight it before i figured out the dodge role can stop it. After QTEing this creature to death i finally made it to the next area...

Third complaint. QTE's can be annoying to me but if they don't happen on more than just a boss I can ignore the irritation... The Minotaur requires me to mash the circle button till i kill it followed by another creature with a ball and chain attack. When two of the guys killed me because i messed up the QTEs a few times i decided it was time to try another game.

GOW 2

Well i still can't control the camera and the doors... Then im killed by the boot of a statue because i was surprised the first time and failed the QTE the second time. Then i walked off a ledge...

That's the end of my first GOW experience and i plan to continue the first one tomorrow to see if i can enjoy this game.

Any tips for these games?

I'm downloading ratchet & clank all 4 one and then I'm going to download infamous 2.

I've played Kingdom hearts before on a PS2.

Tips? Keep an eye on your enemies and your environment. The first two God of War Games are very basic hack/slash games, however I do suggest you keep with them and play God of War 3, which was an awesome game (gameplay wise, story wise it was a mess). Killing gods IS a lot of fun though!

Now for games?

Dead Souls
Demon Souls
Uncharted
Uncharted 2
Uncharted 3 (My personal favorite, I just wish the ending wasn't so rushed)
Heavy Rain
Little Big Planet 2
CastleVania: Lords of Shadow
Bayonetta
Metal Gear Solid: HD Collection
Metal Gear Solid 4

Those are just off the top of my head.

Daystar Clarion:
Okami HD. Get it.

Or I will kill 1 hostage every hour.

Also, Team Ico collection.

Is it on sale for Playstation Plus members? If not, then I will wait until it is before I get it.

Exius Xavarus:

I recommend all of them. They aren't all PS3 exclusive, but they're all beautiful games.

All suggestions are games I own or have previously owned.[1]

Before the inevitable "You forgot X Title(s) in Y Series." If it's not up there, I've never personally owned a copy.

How are the games:
Vanquish
Tales of Graces f
White Knight Chronicles II?

I want to try all of them, but haven't seen much talk of any.

[1] Games marked Game of the Year are my personal Game of the Year.

As someone who has a deep appreciation and love for the PS3, there are some exclusives that you absolutely MUST buy if you want to consider yourself a PS3 owner.

- Infamous & Infamous 2.
- Resistance: Fall of Man and Resistance 3[1]
- Okami HD. I cannot express in words how perfect Okami is.
- Shadow of the Colossus (there's an HD re-release which is pretty amazing).
- Uncharted 2: Among Thieves. Uncharted 3 is . . . underwhelming. And frustrating. Uncharted 2 is one of the best games on the console.
- The Metal Gear Solid series. Kojima only wanted to make the first three (he was forced to make the fourth), but they're all great games, with the possible exception of MGS4 - it's the weakest, but it has redeeming features.

There are plenty more, but those are the ones off the top of my head.

[1] Not Resistance 2. NEVER Resistance 2.

Get yourself a copy of Valkyria Chronicle. Highly underrated Japanese RPG you could prolly find it cheap in a bargain bin (that is my main reasoning). Like many Japanese titles it is an acquired taste, but you have some solid turn based strategy backing it up.

Do:

-Get every HD collection ever (except the Silent Hill one). ESPECIALLY OKAMI!!!
-As much as I think it's overrated, try the Uncharted series. People always bring that game up in console wars.
-Valkyria Chronicles if you're into SJRPGs.
-The Tales series by Namco-Bandai is pretty great
-Speaking of JRPGs, get FF 13 and 13-2. They're dirt cheap and have some of the best graphics/art style to grace consoles this generation.
-Try the PS1 classics for an incredible nostalgia trip.
-Sly 4 when it comes out.

Don't:

-Get any open world games for it. The split RAM really screws those games over.
-Get Bayonetta. One of the worst ports this gen. Loading screens for when you pick up an ITEM.
-Become a fanboy.

The last one is just me being tired of people needing validation that they made the right pick. Both consoles are equally good:)

Capitano Segnaposto:
How are the games:
Vanquish
Tales of Graces f
White Knight Chronicles II?

I want to try all of them, but haven't seen much talk of any.

Vanquish is a delicious little third-person shooter with fast-paced mech action, kinda. The main character, Sam, is in a prototype combat suit and he's basically field testing it in the middle of war. I haven't yet gotten very far so I'm not exactly the best source of info for Vanquish. If you message my friend, Tallim, he could give you all the info you could ever want on Vanquish, he's a pro. :p

Tales of Graces f is an absolute gem. It's not my favorite title in the Tales series,[1] but it hold up quite well on its own. The battle system uses the same CC counter that was used in the PS2 remake for Tales of Destiny and it's quite different from other titles in the series. It's often praised as one of the easiest and most effective systems in the series to date. All the characters funny and loveable, the story is full of feels both good and bad and the music is nothing to shake a stick at. It's an absolutely wonderful title and I highly recommend it to anyone even remotely interested in the series.

White Knight Chronicles is also a wonderful game. Honestly, I've never gotten to play the original WKC. By the time I'd discovered it, WKCII was coming out and it has a remastered copy of the original WKC on the disc, so it feels like moving from Disc 1 to Disc 2 instead of going from Title 1 to Title 2 in a series. It's really well done how they made that transition. The combat's fully real-time and it does take a bit of getting used to before you become effective at it. But once you nail the system it's very easy to use and a joy to play. I cannot praise how they did the player's avatar enough. The main protagonist is Leonard but you, yourself, are Avatar. You name him/her and create their looks like any other rpg and you have every single weapon type available to you. Avatar is essentially your eyes and ears within the world of WKC and your contribution to the group. It's a very well made game and it even has online components you can tinker with(which I haven't experienced because I don't have good enough internet to connect to PSN).

All three are wonderful games and I highly recommend them all. Vanquish is relatively cheap, I got my copy for about 20 bucks, pre-owned. Tales of Graces f, last I saw was around $45-50 brand new and I haven't seen WKCII lately so I can't give a rough price on it. Definitely grab them if you find them.

[1] That spot belongs to Symphonia, followed by Vesperia.

I wish you could have mentioned Genres you're into so this wouldn't totally be based around just my experiences.

R&C all 4 one is fine, but not a core R&C experience. I would pick up the future title games: Tools of destruction, Crack in Time, and Quest for Booty that was a good 1 hour of game. If the Older ones are out in HD I would pick them up too. Or maybe you like FPS games? Resistance is like a mix of R&C and WW2 Call of duty Games. 2 is good and 3 is great too.

I'm one of the few who think Infamous 1 played better than 2 so maybe check out 1.

I like L.A. Noire and I think it's best on PS3.

Have you played Okami yet? I think it's in HD on the PS3 now. (also Okamiden on your DS)

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked