The God of War Ascension Trailer: Holy Balls that is awesome

Holy Shit I cannot express how moved I am by this trailer. I really hope they put as much passion into the game and story as this simple trailer does.

My introduction to this series has always been through association instead of direct experience. Ie. I've never owned a PS3 and haven't had access to a PS2 for along time. So I never got to play the God of War series games. But I've read the wiki's, seen the extra credits, and heard people discussing the series and its back-story to no end.

I am completely surprised as to how moving this trailer really is, when I thought the series had degraded into a simple over-extension of the story and over-exploitation of the spectical fighter genre but perhaps this signals something new for the franchise?

Ascension is always one of those things that always bothered me.
Like, GoW is pretty much just about killing the biggest and baddest shit possible. But by the end of GoW1, Kratos has killed basically all the big and bad shit. What's going to be gained by going to pre-GoW1 Kratos when he's not nearly as strong?
I guess there's like... story. Or something? But do people really but the GoW games for that?

hazabaza1:
Like, GoW is pretty much just about killing the biggest and baddest shit possible. But by the end of GoW1, Kratos has killed basically all the big and bad shit. What's going to be gained by going to pre-GoW1 Kratos when he's not nearly as strong?
I guess there's like... story. Or something? But do people really but the GoW games for that?

The first God of War had a great story.

The second two were just killing things.

hazabaza1:

I doubt they're going to let canon get in the way of letting Kratos be all the badass he can be. Apparently in Ascension he just flat out smashes item boxes now. Why not, right?

There's also a distinct lack of greek mythology, with all the bugmen and elephant ogres. So who knows what's going to happen. I'm actually a little bit curious, I mean it's not like he's going after Olympus this time.

As for the trailer... I don't know. God of War and soft heartfelt pop songs don't really mix.

Is it just me or is there something fundamentally wrong with live action video game trailers?

Although, admittedly, I've seen much worse than that one.

That music really doesn't sit well with a God of War trailer. Was the Greek chorus on a strike that day? And seeing Kratos as a happy, family man is quite unnerving after playing a series of games where Kratos murders his God-Family, his normal family and basically everything else unfortunate to exist and be within his reach.

How to make God of War a bit more interesting:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pantheon_(gods)

Pick one other than greek. Greek is good but after 3 games(What handheld titles) I think they are running out of material.

Baron von Blitztank:
That music really doesn't sit well with a God of War trailer.

It's weird. I sorta agree with you, and yet at the same time, I sorta disagree. Yes, it is music that you wouldn't expect from a God of War trailer, but at the same time, I feel it does a good job at (for lack of a better word) emphasizing how far Kratos has fallen.

Of course, I guess it helps that I find the song pretty catchy as well.

Sandytimeman:
So I never got to play the God of War series games.

Ah well if you did then you would know they do not bother with story, or character, or even atmosphere, they just have a madman run around fucking shit up without rime or reason.

Trailer is indeed neat but the devs of the game sure as hell were not involved in that.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked