Bring back the 90s videogame euphoria

So I just finished watching MovieBob's latest episode, Tooned Out, and I was amazed at the number of cartoons being produced after videogames franchises. Yes, most of them were a blatant attempt to make a quick buck cause 'kiddies like videogames! lulz!'. But hey, that's more than what we can say nowadays.

Not only that but I vaguely remember a couple of game shows that were related to videogames. No, nothing like The Tester. Let's just not even bring that one up. I mean something like...like Legends of the Hidden temple, except with videogame themes. A series of challenges that were meant to emulate a videogame worlds AND in times, you even got to play a game.

I might be wrong but I think the problem back then was that those of us who were honestly interested in something like that were too young to have a voice. And back then, everyone was new to the videogame industry. But I believe if all of that would happen today, it would be different.

Videogames nowadays are a powerful industry. There are more resources and people of all ages are gamers, including those of us who grew up in the 90s. So how come industries don't try to get into that a bit more? Yeah, we got some cartoons like Kirby, Right Back at Ya! and Pokemon running on popular channels (some more recently than others) but...that's about it. There's a lot of shows that I think would do well on TV like Disgaea or Devil may Cry (Though that one is kind of gory). But we know we'll only be able to watch them online or if you get the DVD.

Same with game shows. We only got The Tester, for Jesos sake. And some other show in SciFi SyFy, I think. Come on, make a...a go-kart racing game for kids inspired after ModNation Racers. Or hell, a reboot of legends of the Hidden temple inspired by Temple Run. And the few good videogame-related shows I've seen only run on Youtube because no major companies would dare back them up. It just amazes me that companies are now shying away from videogames when they're more popular than ever.

Hint: I could be wrong with all of this. But this is the way I see it. Anyone else concurs? or disagrees?

Hmm. Not sure how to feel about this subject.

I probably wouldn't mind seeing something like a video game themed game show on TV. But I wouldn't worry too much about that.

Speaking of Kirby: Right Back At Ya!, Dynablade looks absolutely awful in that show. Holy crap.

The old videogame game show you're thinking of was probably Nick Arcade, which I remember loving as a kid.

As for how this idea would work, I'd like to think it would, but realistically, look at what happened to G4. That was a channel dedicated to gaming, it started well after the generation who started gaming after the crash were old enough to be a market force, and it died. Granted, by the time it died it had one of the worst cases of network decay in history, but was that because the executives were idiots, or because nobody was watching the gaming focused content?

There has been quite a few videogame shows, at least in the UK.

We've had Gamesville, Bad Influence, and Games Master among other shows. I loved watching them, and i wish there was still something like that nowadays. Despite the shows being very hit and miss, and kinda cheesy.

Imagine a mature Gaming related show staring Charlie Brooker, and Jimmy Carr on Channel 4 aimed at the 20's, and 30's gaming Demographic, that would definitely make me watch TV again.

WCG Ultimate Gamer was the show on Syfy, where they do "real life" gaming challenges.. and then play the game that inspired the challenge. I thought it was a good show, and genuinely wanted to be on it.. but alas, it was not meant to be.

I think if done correctly, there could be a successful run by a Video Game themed show.. depending on who did it.

HeadMcGee:
WCG Ultimate Gamer was the show on Syfy, where they do "real life" gaming challenges.. and then play the game that inspired the challenge. I thought it was a good show, and genuinely wanted to be on it.. but alas, it was not meant to be.

I think if done correctly, there could be a successful run by a Video Game themed show.. depending on who did it.

Oh, yeah! THAT was the other show I was thinking of! I only saw it like 3 times when I caught a random marathon on TV and I thought it was at least better than The Tester.
Well, anything's better than The Tester. Even Buckwild.

Anyway, I remember back home, there was a local show themed after Mario Bros. It was meant for kids but it was just like one of those game shows from Nickelodeon or whatever but it was...Mario Bros themed, dang it. It was just fun to watch! I'm just wondering how come we don't see stuff like that nowadays, especially since videogames are so popular right now.

Games, especially JRPGs and visual novels, get anime and manga adaptions quite often. The west isn't too keen at adapting them. Heck Disegiea got an adaptation and that's wehre I learned about the game!

Jazoni89:

Imagine a mature Gaming related show staring Charlie Brooker, and Jimmy Carr on Channel 4 aimed at the 20's, and 30's gaming Demographic, that would definitely make me watch TV again.

Christ, I'd take Games Master 100 times over those smug fools mugging about how they 'get' gaming. Charlie Brooker really pisses me off with his horning in on the gaming scene.

GM was cheesy as hell, but at least it was in for the fun side of games, and gave the whole thing a feeling of being one big club, whereas CB is more about saying 'Uggghhh noone gets this, edgy comment #3'.

Beautiful End:
So I just finished watching MovieBob's latest episode, Tooned Out, and I was amazed at the number of cartoons being produced after videogames franchises. Yes, most of them were a blatant attempt to make a quick buck cause 'kiddies like videogames! lulz!'. But hey, that's more than what we can say nowadays.

Not only that but I vaguely remember a couple of game shows that were related to videogames. No, nothing like The Tester. Let's just not even bring that one up. I mean something like...like Legends of the Hidden temple, except with videogame themes. A series of challenges that were meant to emulate a videogame worlds AND in times, you even got to play a game.

I might be wrong but I think the problem back then was that those of us who were honestly interested in something like that were too young to have a voice. And back then, everyone was new to the videogame industry. But I believe if all of that would happen today, it would be different.

Videogames nowadays are a powerful industry. There are more resources and people of all ages are gamers, including those of us who grew up in the 90s. So how come industries don't try to get into that a bit more? Yeah, we got some cartoons like Kirby, Right Back at Ya! and Pokemon running on popular channels (some more recently than others) but...that's about it. There's a lot of shows that I think would do well on TV like Disgaea or Devil may Cry (Though that one is kind of gory). But we know we'll only be able to watch them online or if you get the DVD.

Same with game shows. We only got The Tester, for Jesos sake. And some other show in SciFi SyFy, I think. Come on, make a...a go-kart racing game for kids inspired after ModNation Racers. Or hell, a reboot of legends of the Hidden temple inspired by Temple Run. And the few good videogame-related shows I've seen only run on Youtube because no major companies would dare back them up. It just amazes me that companies are now shying away from videogames when they're more popular than ever.

Hint: I could be wrong with all of this. But this is the way I see it. Anyone else concurs? or disagrees?

here look:

it gives you some 80's and 90's fix

This all sounds like it would be a step backwards to me. Instead of seeing some shell of a television show funded by empty suits, I'd rather see shows about games by people that like games. Which there are a TON of on Youtube. I get the feeling I'm not going to enjoy anything game related that shows on a television station as much as I like something like Zero Punctuation or Game Grumps.

I know you're talking about narrative-based cartoons, not "commentary" stuff, but I can't help but feel that the things we love about video games are not shared by the people who will inevitably make their tie-ins.

That wouldn't work in this day and age.... since even video games aren't trying to be like video games anymore. How would a TV show capture the video game feel? Things like Captain N and the old Zelda cartoon did stuff like that, but things are different now. There wouldn't be any iconic sound effects or obscure game logic or anything else we use to identify gaming as a whole. Games, for the most part, try to be just as cinematic and lifelike as movies. A TV show of most current gaming franchises would be utterly boring in this time period. Watching a show about Dead Space wouldn't be much different from playing the game.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked