Borderlands 2 worth it?

After my initial "witcher 2 worth it' question (which I got) another popped up.

Borderlands 2 and CSGO.

30$ and 7$ respectively.

So are both worth it at this price? I liked the original borderlands, but I am not sure about 2.

Is it longer?

Difficulty wise, how is it?

Would it be worth 30$, or wait for a bigger sale? I heard it was rather short.

I played a bit of CSGO's "beta, but I am unsure if the modding community has actually moved from CS: source yet.

The best of the modded game modes I liked from source was zombie escape and the zombie mode. Does anyone know if the modders actually established themselves in CSGO? Or are they still at CS: source?

Borderlands 2 is worth it if you have friends to play it with.

Do you?

Z of the Na'vi:

I still found a lot of enjoyment in playing Borderlands 2 solo, so I have to say its worth it regardless of whether or not you have friends to play it with.

Borderlands 2 is definitely longer than the first one and its pretty much more of the same shit so if you liked Borderlands 1 you will like Borderlands 2. I found the difficulty in Borderlands 2 to be pretty reasonable/tame even on solo but I've heard that the new game + mode can be pretty monstrous in difficulty for solo play. In my opinion its definitely worth the $30, especially if you enjoyed the first game.

CSGO is a fantastic game but it doesn't really feel like that much of an upgrade from CSS, there are improved textures and a few added guns etc but apart from that the only real justification of making the upgrade if you already own CSS is for the playerbase of CSGO and last time I checked plenty of people are still playing CSS. Still, $7 is a very low price so why not?

SlaveNumber23:
I still found a lot of enjoyment in playing Borderlands 2 solo, so I have to say its worth it regardless of whether or not you have friends to play it with.

I agree.

Though, I only started my solo playthrough a few days ago. I've played it extensively with friends, however.

I'll take your word for it in regards to solo play.

For me I didn't played the first game, do you suggest me to buy the second game?
I will wait of course for the "Game of the Year" edition.

I am still considering BO2, but no one seems to say anything about CS:GO. I take it the moddders have't established themselves on the same level as source?

I haven't played Borderlands 2 Coop yet, but i had a load of fun on my own. CS:GO is great as well. Don't worry about skill ceiling, the game has lots a of gamemodes you can get started on before you get to the competitive stuff.

You can expect to get it cheaper than $30 if you keep a look out for deals in the next few months, but it's one of the best games of 2012 from one of the best developers, so funding them with $30 is a reasonable choice.

NG+ solo isn't a problem as long as you're not underleveled, so just grind and/or do the dlc to avoid it.

I've enjoyed it so far, significantly more so than the first game. There's a greater sense of variety overall, with enemy and gear types that feel more distinct, and the settings extend beyond "desert" and "desert wasteland." The guns are also a lot more satisfying this time around, and considering these games are all about guns that's kind of a big deal.

It does seem like there are fewer side quests than in the original, but more effort appears to have been put into them so they aren't nearly as tedious.

If you were disappointed that Borderlands 1 was more of a shooter than an RPG, you will not like Borderlands 2. However, if you were quite happy with Borderlands 1, then Borderlands 2 is right up your alley. As many have said, BL2 is basically BL1 with more stuff and more character.

Borderlands 2 is definitely worth $30. It's a very fun coop game, and its also a very fun solo game. The comedy alone makes it pretty great the mechanics and loot just make it better.

As for CSGO I couldn't tell you. I never played source all that much and haven't tried CSGO at all.

My personal answer is no. Neither Borderlands nor its sequel(which is really more of a remake of the first game) have anything in the way of entertainment value unless you just really love to grind and engage in repetitive, gimmicky shooting in bland, samey environments while listening to the same enemies spout the same lines over and over and over again in an attempt to be "edgy". It actually falls short, in my opinion, of the much-maligned Duke Nukem Forever in terms of both gunplay and presentation. I'd much rather hear Duke quote bad movies than hear Roland or Mordecai say "feel it" for the umpteenth time as yet another generic psycho bad guy gets his head blown off.

Borderlands 2 is an excellent game and well worth $30. Tons of fun in single player and even more fun with friends, packed with content, loads of enemy and weapon types, varied locations, massive replay value, a decent plot with excellent and memorable characters... I honestly can't say enough good things about it. It's not flawless, but - all those game/shooter/multiplayer of the year awards? It deserves all of them. You really ought to give it a try.

Oh God! I really should play it more! In the immortal words of Lilith it is "The TITS"! Generally the only negative thing I can say about BL2 is that the vehicle's physics have very powerful biases that prevent you from even remotely flipping over. It is exactly the same things as the first Borderlands with absolutely everything tweaked and upgraded instead of being thrown away!

Not only did I vote it as my game of the year, but I've put more time into BL2 than any other game recently. I even bought a second copy of the game on PS3 (original on Steam) just so I could play multi-player on the big screen. Have only played solo on computer so far, but planning on getting another copy of the game for my fiance's Steam account so we can co-op on there also.

Have a couple maxed out characters with more in the works. Fun times! Worth $30? In my humble opinion, OF COURSE IT IS!

CS GO is a nice upgrade to cs source, better mechanics and higher balance overall not to mention prettier, I'd say it's worth it.

Borderlands 2 is awesome, the characters are funny the story's very much enjoyable and the gameplay fun, better enjoyed with a group but mileage may vary on that(timezones, availability.) either way you'll have fun I believe, unless you don't like co-op and would rather blow human brains then it's back to Counter Strike.

I highly recommend Borderlands 2, particularly if you can make it a coop experience with friends. I've never tried it solo so I can't speak to that but I had an absolute blast playing through the whole thing with my best friend.

The 'end game content' requires large parties of 2~4 to defeat their 'invincible' raid-bosses.
Story wise, it's got all the fun, humor and and style of the first. If you loved that, you'll want to check BL2 out just for that.
I got it on 50% sale so it was definitely worth it for me.

I love Borderlands and Borderlands 2 is an improvement in every way. It's more difficult in that it's not unbalanced to the point of you becoming a God and killing everyone in the room by breathing on them. It's worth the money.

Borderlands 2 is a fantastic game. At $30, it's a steal; that's as low as it went during the Steam Christmas sale.

It depends, if you feel like playing a version of the original Borderlands where it feels like the the Developers ran out of any creative thought long before the end of the game, then yes I guess it's worth it. But then again, this feeling will probably only be apparent if you played Borderlands and at least some of its DLC.

Admittedly, I don't really like Counter-Strike, but it's less money and you'll probably have a better fun-to-dollar-ratio(?) than you will with Borderlands.

I'd say both are worth it.

Borderlands 2 is an improvement over Borderlands 1 in damn-near every way. Not sure on the length, they're about the same only with Borderlands 2 it doesn't feel like an endless slog when you're alone. Oh, also, it's still a damn fun game even if you go solo. So yeah, for $30 (I actually bought it for $28 off Amazon a while ago), I'd say hell yeah it's worth it. Decent challenge, decent length, it's good.

As for CS:GO, for $7? Yeah, worth that price. And yeah, GO has the zombie mods for Source. As well as most of the other mods/gamemodes from Source. I haven't actually played it in a good while (about 4 months), so things most definitely would have progressed since then.

BL2 is definitely worth it. it was worth full price. i have 232 hours clocked right now so i imagine it'll keep you busy a while.

I got BL2 for $30 a few weeks ago, I've been playing exclusively solo, and it has been worth every cent. Short? Sure, if 20 hours on your first playthrough on just one character, skipping a good chunk of the sidequests, then yes, its short. There's four characters available, and one from DLC. I can't speak for the DLC one, but I like three of the base ones enough that I'll probably get one playthrough for each of them (just finished my first one a few nights ago). In my opinion, Borderlands 2 improved upon Borderlands (1) in every single way, especially the story, which was a big surprise for me. Its not something that will blow you away, but it will definitely hold your interest, especially the villian, Handsome Jack, who is one of the better villians I've encountered.

I can't speak for CS:GO. Twitch shooters aren't so much my thing.

I love the game, and think its worth buying (it's also on sale on steam today!). The main game takes a fair bit of time even if you aren't comprehensively doing every side quest, but most of them are worth doing for loot and/or amusement. I've dropped so much time into this game in the last few months. The first time through, especially if you do sidequests and jump into DLC, you get overleveled a bit but the second playthrough definitely ramps it up in the difficulty department.

Either way, it's fun to play with a really fun and quirky story, with a truly excellent villain and some awesome supporting cast as well.

I also recommend most of the DLC. It often does something a bit different, introduces more interesting and funny cast members, and feels like a legitimate extension of your characters stay on Pandora rather than a crappy 2 hour cash grab.

I enjoyed it, but never completed it. There's just something I enjoyed more about the first one, but I cant put my finger on it. Maybe it was because I played the crap out of the first one.

No clue about CS:GO. Probably good because it is valve.
Borderlands 2 is fucking great in my opinion. Probably my Game of the Year. After not really liking the first one, they pretty much fixed everything that I thought was wrong with it. I would recommend it especially if you have any friends who have it. The DLC is also really good, especially Torgue's Campaign of Carnage.

Raika:
My personal answer is no. Neither Borderlands nor its sequel(which is really more of a remake of the first game) have anything in the way of entertainment value unless you just really love to grind and engage in repetitive, gimmicky shooting in bland, samey environments

All of that is true of the first game, where the grindy MMORPG elements they lifted end up undermining the fun of many missions as you're expected to Kill 25 of this or collect 25 of that to advance. There's fun to be had in the first game, but there's way too much repetition.

I thought the second game managed to get rid of the grindy feel to the side quests. There's more than enough side-missions to level you up enough to finish the game without having to go XP hunting and they're pretty good about directing you toward different parts of a level when you're asked to go back for a side mission. It also has a very good assortment of environments.

To me, it's a pretty cool throw-back shooter where cover mechanics are something that happens to other games and I get a nice DOOM vibe through-out the game.

Which is not to say there isn't a whole lot of grinding in the game, but it's really reserved for the hardcore players. Casual players will find a game with a lot of humor, a good mix of enemies, all sorts of cool weapons, and a lot of content. It's an enjoyable single player game and enjoyable playing co-op even with strangers since the only way they can dick you over is by grabbing loot before you get a chance to.

Z of the Na'vi:

Do you?

I would agree with this but add "real" friends. Just about any game these days can be fun with online "facebook" friends. I've had a blast gaming with random escapists before (btw, I think it's time for some more random "game with us" threads.) But Borderlands and BL 2 (surprising coming from me who finds the games pretty boiler plate, brownshooter average) are worth it for splitscreen. Local splitscreen multiplayer (and not just some deathmatch or arena mode) is SO rare that BL is worth the price for that feature alone. Beer + friends + splitscreen Borderlands = fun.

Borderlands 2 is definitely worth getting whether playing solo or coop.

I have no idea what CSGO means. Anyone feel like clearing up my acronym confusion?

darkcalling:

I have no idea what CSGO means. Anyone feel like clearing up my acronym confusion?

OT: I'd say yes. It fixes almost every problem of the first game. Was a bit too easy IMO to clear solo but the new game + will wreck you if you aren't prepared. It's an experience enhanced by friends and took me 15-20 hours for my first clear (on co-op so we were dicking about a fair bit) but seriously think about what class you want to play. I personally hated a lot of my time as zero compared to the other characters- but that's just me. Getting stuck with a class you don't enjoy really ruins it.

TheEvilCheese:

darkcalling:

OT: I'd say yes. It fixes almost every problem of the first game. Was a bit too easy IMO to clear solo but the new game + will wreck you if you aren't prepared. It's an experience enhanced by friends and took me 15-20 hours for my first clear (on co-op so we were dicking about a fair bit) but seriously think about what class you want to play. I personally hated a lot of my time as zero compared to the other characters- but that's just me. Getting stuck with a class you don't enjoy really ruins it.

Thanks cheese. I figured it was something Counter Strike related but haven't heard of that one before now.

Ultratwinkie:
snip

I would go Borderlands 2, since you liked the first and I haven't played Counter Strike.

Borderlands 2 is better than its predecessor in just about every way. And it is by no means a short game. I've logged 20+ hours into it. That said, I've been doing every sidequest available, and have only done about five or six main quests.

It's significantly more difficult than the first game, however. I'm going solo because I have no friends. So if you have the option, definitely do it co-op.
Or maybe I'm just bad.

SweetShark:
For me I didn't played the first game, do you suggest me to buy the second game?
I will wait of course for the "Game of the Year" edition.

You might miss out on certain nods to the first game, but as far as I've seen, you'll have no problem with just jumping in. The first game's plot is, quite literally, "You play as a Vault Hunter, go find the Vault." and it gets only barely more complicated than that. The opening cutscene of Borderlands 2 alone has more plot than the entirety of the first game.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked