Why won't you let me play, game?!

Pages 1 2 NEXT

OK, this was building for a while, and I am fed up now.

What the hell is wrong with game developers?!

Listen guys, I buy games, install them to PLAY THEM, not to WATCH THEM.

I mean, why would you prevent me from playing the damn game? Why do I have to suffer half-assed dialogue, or why do I HAVE to suffer exposition dumps? Why do you force me to breeze through the game instantenously? Maybe I'd like to feel the taste of the damn game before you force me to finish it?! WHY WHY WHY?!!?!

Recent offenders:

XCOM: Enemy Unknown:
1. Forces a fast-paced campaign. Is a sandbox. Does not computeeeeeeeeeeeeee!
Why can't I research for a WEEK before you dump uber foes on me? COME ON! Especially with those damn soldiers that miss every turn and then DIE. W.T.F.
2. So you didn't keep up with OUR way of playing the sandbox? Here you go, all dialogues will repeat for you, DUMB FUCK. WHY WOULD YOU WANT TO SKIP THEM? It's not like you've heard them 50 times already. Oh and to be sure you do hear them out, we'll pause the game so you can't do anything else during exposition dump.

Skyrim:
1. Now I didn't expect that from TES. I mean why is there so much talking in this game. Especially the main quest, jesus I just stopped doing the damn thing. Especially greybeards... FUCK YOU GREYBEARDS, YOU TAKE UP TOO MUCH TIME. Talk, blahblahblah. It was fun the first time around, but COME ON.
2. And the intro? It's BORING!
What do you mean I have to watch it every time I start the game? OFF TO THE WORKSHOP.

Bethesda, at least make actual cutscenes, instead of blahblablahblahblahblahblah. Puts me off so much.

Oh, and on another hand, Dishonored. Why would I want to go stealth, when it's so boring? When on the other hand I can slaughter everyone and everything and have so much fun I was actually terrified. So many animations, ways of killing you supplied and then NOPE. Don't kill man, why would you do that man.

I ain't even saying nothing about the I-want-to-be-a-movie games. Just make a CGI animation then, man.

I mean there's some things I don't like, but this just PISSES ME OFF. Not so much in Skyrim, I can just say "EFF YOU" to the main quest, but in XCOM it just plain sucks. Especially when you invade an alien ship and then you have like 3 dialogues at once and you can just stare like a sheep and cut yourself while they repeat for 1235435th time the same lines.

How pissed of are you, when you are forced through such bullshit?
What other bullshit makes you crush your own teeth?

yaaargh

Maybe it's because I'm kinda delirious right now but... XCOM: Enemy Unknown is a sandbox? I'm pretty sure that's not what it is.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean about the dialogue in XCOM... the scientist people never cut in to speak during non-story missions, and if you're referring to squad lines, then... yeah, they're going to be saying the same things. That's generally what happens? Never had any "story" dialogue repeated between missions either... EDIT: And the cut-scenes were skippable.

Also, I'm pretty sure the alien difficulty only progresses as you research "PRIORITY" marked projects. I could be wrong about that, though.

And if you're that mad about the talking in Skyrim, I'd hate to see your reaction to Morrowind. Also, it's an RPG. There's... generally going to be text and/or dialogue. Because again, that's generally what happens. Proportionally, Skyrim has a lot less dialogue than, say, Dragon Age, The Witcher, or Baldur's Gate.

I'm afraid I can't relate, as I'm quite patient when it comes to dialogue. Same applies for reading. I'll usually sift through as much written backstory as I can in video games, whether that be info pages, diary entries of other characters or any other variety of in game exposition or trivia.

In regards to Skyrim, you know you can just skip all of that right? Just click the left mouse (probably the A/X button if you're on console). Skyrim is one of the rare games for which I wouldn't blame you for skipping dialogue either, as Bethesda's writing is offensively terrible.

Interesting lineup there... you didn't by any chance recently win a years supply of Redbull or anything like that?

Ziame:

Oh, and on another hand, Dishonored. Why would I want to go stealth, when it's so boring? When on the other hand I can slaughter everyone and everything and have so much fun I was actually terrified. So many animations, ways of killing you supplied and then NOPE. Don't kill man, why would you do that man.

I believe that the point the developers would wanted to make was killing everyone is bad.If you would look on the story they made,those underlings wasnt the problem,the problem was the overseer and the guys after him.The only problem Dishonored suffered was that there wasnt enough impact on the ending to justify the stealth.Also how long have it been since we have seen a good Thief mechanic game

You're bored of non-gameplay and those are your examples? Pretty weak examples aren't they? XCom had barely any cutscenes, most of the game for me was the actual battles or the management at the base.
Skyrim had so little dialogue compared to the gameplay I thought that it was actual lacking. From a huge world with barely any people who talk more than something related to arrows and knees, I thought it was fitting to show that the hero wasn't a hero that everyone just loved automatically, he didn't know everyone and was modest so that we can relate more.

I'm much more tired of games with un-skippable tutorials and opening sections than cutscenes. The main offender is Assassin's Creed 3, you have to literally play for about 6 hours of highly-linear shit before you actually get to the main part of the game. Most of the Zelda games have this problem for me. I don't mind long opening sequences and tutorials the first time round, but the second time round I should be able to skip them because GODDAMN IT ASSASSIN'S CREED 3 I DON'T WANT TO PLAY HIDE AND SEEK WITH KIDS FOR THIRTY MINUTES!

Sounds like you should be sticking with more twitch friendly games.

I personally love my games to be dialogue heavy and found Skyrim seriously lacking in that department. After a month of playing I grew bored of the game simply because of how much life and character it lacked.

xefaros:
The only problem Dishonored suffered was that there wasnt enough impact on the ending to justify the stealth.

I believe the stealth itself justified the stealth (say that ten times really fast)

I'd like to think someone would choose stealth gameplay simply for the fun of using stealth gameplay rather then expecting a reward at the end.

I don't understand . Honestly i'm confused .

If you don't like dialogue/text then don't play Rpgs?

And Xcom is a sandbox? Lol wut? And there was so little in terms of dialogue that this makes it the WORST example you could have came up with .

Unskipable cutscenes are a bitch , but both in Skyrim and Xcom you can skip and/or speed through them.

And for Dishonored. Why would you stealth? You don't have to , you get to choose. Don't want to? Then Don't . Seriously iv'e never heard of someone conplaining when they had a choice .

As for what drives me nuts. Dragon's dogma . The pawns that never shut up , ever . I mean really . The game is enjoyable but good lord are the pawns annoying.

in x-com you are playing against the clock and story mission progression. its only a sandbox in that you can choose how to set out your base.

i honestly recomend you go play planesscape torment it should fix all your issues with excessive dialogue

As far as the Skyrim intro goes, OP, check your savegames. Skyrim makes a save at the end of the intro, at the "Prisoner, step forward! Who are you?" bit, meaning that if you want to start a new game you just load that save and skip the whole intro. You still might want to nip into the kitchen and put the kettle on whilst your new character is being read their last rites though.

Hope that helps to some degree, at least.

While I definitely agree that SKyrim's into can fuck off, these are still some odd choices. The first thing that comes to mind, for me, is Max Payne 3.

The shooting is so fun, but it won't stop throwing story at me T.T

Ziame:
OK, this was building for a while, and I am fed up now.
XCOM: Enemy Unknown:
1. Forces a fast-paced campaign. Is a sandbox. Does not computeeeeeeeeeeeeee!
Why can't I research for a WEEK before you dump uber foes on me? COME ON! Especially with those damn soldiers that miss every turn and then DIE. W.T.F.

Sorry, what part of a turn-based tactics game has a fast-paced campaign and is a sandbox?

Also if youre not keeping up with the game pogression youre doing something wrong.

Your complaints with XCOM are ludicrously petty. Yes, they have forced-to-listen bits... at the very beginning and end, and after a couple missions between. That's less than any other story-driven game I can think of. Besides, the actual cutscenes are entirely skippable. Also, it's not a sandbox. It doesn't even remotely resemble a sandbox. Where'd you get THAT idea? And if you're complaining about "uber-foes" one week in, then either a friend of yours modded it to screw with you, or you're in for a HELL of a world of pain later on.

As for exposition dumps... I LIKE exposition dumps. They give me a breather. Plus, unless you're playing a spectacularly awful game, it means that they won't bother you with exposition for a good while afterwards.

Xcom is not a sandbox, it's about strategy in combat and strategy in how you allocate finite resources

Elder scrolls yes the opening is annoying and some of the story quests are boring the 2nd/3rd time around but they can't have pre-rendered cutscenes because of how much player customization there is

Dishonored some people enjoy stealth and subterfuge over fighting, the thinking is that any muscle bound jar head can shoot his way through a facility but REAL skill is assassinating someone without anyone ever knowing you were there

At least in skyrim you could go on insane murder killing sprees if you wanted to.
I just got fallout nv modded and it's more annoying when your already on a killing spree and the game crashes every 20 minutes. Even so if you dont want to listen to all the dialogue then play something else

Your examples given were utterly abysmal.

The only time story etc annoys me is when the cutscenes and talking outweighs the gameplay. It's one reason I didn't really enjoy playing Mass Effect 1. I spent about a year on the citadel not knowing what the fuck I was doing, then I'd finally get to do a mission and I'd be shooting things for literally a couple of minutes.

Same with Deus Ex HR. Though with that game it's more just the intro than anything else I hate tourguide cutscenes where you're being dragged along a path with no option other than to look around,

Orange12345:
Elder scrolls yes the opening is annoying and some of the story quests are boring the 2nd/3rd time around but they can't have pre-rendered cutscenes because of how much player customization there is

Didn't stop Dark Souls from having cutscenes. I honestly don't know why this is an issue, unless you hated the game engine renderer with a passion.

As for you OP, you're complaints seem to be insanely petty. I can't pin it down exactly, but there's a feeling of making it seem rather complainish rather than criticism.

ToastiestZombie:
I'm much more tired of games with un-skippable tutorials and opening sections than cutscenes. The main offender is Assassin's Creed 3, you have to literally play for about 6 hours of highly-linear shit before you actually get to the main part of the game. Most of the Zelda games have this problem for me. I don't mind long opening sequences and tutorials the first time round, but the second time round I should be able to skip them because GODDAMN IT ASSASSIN'S CREED 3 I DON'T WANT TO PLAY HIDE AND SEEK WITH KIDS FOR THIRTY MINUTES!

this is exactly why i stopped playing assassins creed 3. i didnt want to play as haytham, or little connor, i watned to play as badass first nation assassin connor. it completely killed the mood.

I ALSO LIKE THE WORD FUCK! We should start a support group called Fucks Anonymous, and we will have so many fucks to give that Spiderman will come and try to fight us.

OT: I don't really understand your complaint. I can get that some games are too story driven for you, but then why are you buying them? I like story based games so I buy them, even when the story is really stupid (and awesome), like Lollipop Chainsaw. I know I don't like twitch and non-story games much, so I don't buy them.
The only time I hate games with large interludes between action is when the story sucks, like in the first Persona game. I seriously wanted to chuck that thing at a wall.

Okay, I'm not sure what the point of this rant was but I'll just be standing over there beside that window.

Takes chance and leaps out of the room.

Halo 4, Spartan Ops, not being able to skip briefing.

It would be fine if they played it without being able to skip it once, but if I want to play a level multiple times, I have to watch them without being able to skip them, fortunately, they aren't very long, but still annoying.

Other than that, I am quite patient with dialogue, but Half Life 2's way of doing it (letting me move around a boring room while characters talk about stuff I don't care about) bored me to tears.

...those are some interest choices there.

Ziame:

That-that doesn't make sense! By being stealthy you are playing the game the way you want, that's the point! And you do get to use your powers while stealthy. (Seeing through walls, time manipulation, possession, how the fuck can you NOT use blink)

I feel like someones trying to troll us.

OT: I think a lot of first person shooters are guilty of this...like most modern one. Mainly when you're left there following someone with a marker over their head, doing all the work, while you twiddle your thumbs till the next shooting section.

I played through Dishonored stealthily once, then killing everyone once and I found the former far more fun and satisfying.

Maybe you should stick to basic tetris (none of that super tetris shit) and for the love of god dont read a book or play a visual novel there is bugger all gameplay there.

Really though most games have skippable dialogue and cutscenes but if any dialogue and cutscenes bother you play a genre that has very little such as Puzzle games of fighting games for example.

thesilentman:

Orange12345:

Didn't stop Dark Souls from having cutscenes. I honestly don't know why this is an issue, unless you hated the game engine renderer with a passion.

I stand corrected, I just assumed that was why. Thinking about it some more I guess it's just about trying to keep the player and the character as the same person and a cutscene breaks up that immersion a bit

Your examples suck.

Go play Max Payne 3.

Also, grow some PATIENCE.

Playing through Dishonored like a pacifist is just one of the many ways you can play it. Don't like it? Get a fucking refund. Skyrim's intro may be boring. But It does give some context as to why the fuck your going too the slaughter house. Plus creating you character is in the midst of it (whereas in Oblivion, it was just at the start and then elaborate).

Well in that case I would suggest you avoid anything tagged RPG, TBS, Point and click adventure, Visual Novels and anything by Hideo Kojima.

Ed130:
Okay, I'm not sure what the point of this rant was but I'll just be standing over there beside that window.

Takes chance and leaps out of the room.

Jumps after him

Not sure if trolling... or just stupid.

On a some serious note, not only does this argument wrong about the subject matter, it seems to hold an absolutely shallow view of the subject matter. Video games have a right to tell a story, Devs have a right to make their games however they want. Don't like it, play some shallow shoot or something else that will satisfy you low attention span.

Hannya:

Same with Deus Ex HR. Though with that game it's more just the intro than anything else I hate tourguide cutscenes where you're being dragged along a path with no option other than to look around,

That's normally a bug-bear of mine, but I think DXHR actually does a good job of setting the scene remarkably well in as short a time as possible. My only real issue is that the FOV on the cutscene is the default size, which is far too small to watch entirely comfortably.

Toxinthegreat:
Skyrim's intro may be boring. But It does give some context as to why the fuck your going too the slaughter house. Plus creating you character is in the midst of it (whereas in Oblivion, it was just at the start and then elaborate).

That's rather like finding a problem to solve where there isn't one. Why you were imprisoned wasn't a mystery that needed a definite answer from the developers. They need to get back to Morrowind's main quest, where nothing really happened in it until a few missions in. In Oblivion and Skyrim they front-load it, which means you get a bunch of information on something you may never touch.

OT: I started Assassin's Creed 3 recently. It's the fifth fucking game. If a person is only just joining the series at that point, create a fucking tutorial set in the Animus' holodeck shit, do not drag me through a bunch of inane, painfully drawn-out tutorials interspersed with overly long cutscenes. And don't fucking introduce a character, have me go through a tutorial as them, and then switch characters and seemingly repeat sections of the tutorial from an hour before.

It's gotten better - after about 10 or so bloody hours - but so much of the game just seems to be busy-work book-ended by too many cutscenes. It's well-acted and even decently-written at points, but don't take the piss. Half the time it's not even busy-work leading up to an assassination.

1. What, do you expect the Aliens to just say "Meh, whatever, do your earth defending Thang Bro"?

2.ITS A GODDAMN RPG! If you dont want exposition THIS IS THE WRONG GENRE FOR YOU (oh, and you have no attention span)

This is a medium where both Cutscene laden games and games with organic, gameplay oriented story can exist at the same time, why force it to go down one route or the other?

I feel like you're just trolling, but whatever.

Dishonored - If you want to go nuts then go nuts, the game doesn't force you to use stealth, just encourage.

Skyrim - Never played it, but in Oblivion, the main quest does get laborious, so I can imagine your frustration, but like Dishonored you aren't forced to do it. As for starting a new game, as mentioned before, make a saved game after the opening scene (or during) to cut out a little of it.

Xcom - What? Waiting 2 seconds at the start of every mission bothers you? So much that you take the time to post a brand new thread?

ToastiestZombie:

Adding on to that, it gets REALLY annoying when the 'bonus' full synch things in the missions stop you from doing things the way that you want them to. For example, remember in AC1 and AC2 how when you got up to the big Assassin target you were generally able to kill them whichever way you wanted, or the Assassin tombs in the second game where you could spend ages admiring the landscape. Then comes along the 'Full synch make the game more fun' parts and they fuck it all up. For example, in Brotherhood during the Romulus tomb sections I hated it when the game said "Run through in 5 minutes", fuck you game I wanna explore this area a bit. Then with Revelations (but also present in Brotherhood) when I had to use my assassin rectruits to kill major targets. And then came AC3, and while I was glad none of the main missions forced me to use the assassin recruits to killmajor targets, it was annoying when I FINALLY became Connor in the actual Assassin suit and was then told how I must kill them to really be Connor. To be fair, the first big assassination target was mostly how I would have gone through it anyway, but when it came to Pitcairn, that fucked me off. I understand I can't run into 100 dudes firing at me, but once I get past that can't I decide how to get to the dude and what I'll use to take him down. Sure, following the mission full synch is pretty cool, but there are SOO many different ways to kill Pitcairn and I feel annoyed when the game tells me I'm not good for not following it's pre determined path.

Now I'm sad that the next AC game wont have Connor in it, because he was a good character and totally had another game in him. But no...Ubisoft are gonna go to a different ancestor, probably keep the full synch shit, and generally make me more and more angry that they've kinda forgotten the best parts of AC1 and 2. Not that I'm against change, but I like to think that Assassins are quiet and don't run head first up to people calling out their names. I'm looking at you Charles Lee chase sequence.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked