Best single level/section of any game

Pages PREV 1 2

Note: Bold letters to warn which games will be spoiled.

God, so many to choose from... how can I pick? How can I possibly pick?

Urgh... do I pick the Mass Effect 2 Suicide Mission, where the astounding sense of momentum kept my pulse pounding and my eyes glued to the screen? Or The Walking Dead's final goodbye, the culmination of seven hours' worth of some of the best character interactions ever? Or what about saving Zulf in Bastion, where I had zero regrets despite being absolutely certain I was about to die?

Do I pick the finale of Half-Life 2, chasing Breen up the reactor, my blood boiling as I am determined not to let him escape? Or Black Mesa's Lobby Ambush, where the ultimate rush of hating the HECU caught up with me? Or Halo 4, saying goodbye to Cortana, a character I've been with since 2004?

Fable 1, returning to Oakvale?
Batman: Arkham City, the Clayface reveal?
Gears of War 3, the finale?
Portal 2, getting stabbed in the back?
The moment in real life where I hunt down and ballpunch all the people who claim to hate Halo, even though 80% of them secretly like it!?

ARGG, HOW DO I DECIDE!?!?!?!?!?

Pretty much the entire castle section of Resident Evil 4. This 1/3rd of the game is the main reason why I keep going back and playing it over and over again, and it's f****** gold every single time! The backtracking, the puzzles, the beautiful aesthetics, the creepy horror atmosphere; pure, genuine Resident Evil bliss.

Anor Londo. So pretty. Hard as balls though. Even better is the Painted World of Ariamis. The snow... It's true when people say that "it is in the most dangerous places that beauty hides."

I also quite liked when you solo 4 bosses in a row in Cave Story. So many adrenaline rushes...

And how could I forget Shadow of the Colossus? That game was something else entirely. So pretty, yet there's a lot of melancholy in the game that adds to the atmosphere. Out of all of the colossi, I liked the third. I must replay it to enjoy the epicness once again.

babinro:
Resident Evil 4 is filled with these memorable and fun sections:
- The opening village survival sequence
- Holding up in the cabin against zombie invasion
- Introduction to Regenerators sequence

For me, it's the on-rails segment with Ashley driving the bulldozer.

Then of course, there's the train level from Uncharted 2.

And the multiple ones from the God of War franchise:

First Game: Opening Hydra battle. Protecting your family in the alternate reality. Walking up to the throne at the end and sitting on it.

Second Game: The Pegasus segments. The endurance run before the third sister of fate.

Third Game: Battle with Hercules. Ending of the Hermes fight. Beating the ever loving crap out of Zeus for as long as you want.

Chains of Olympus: The scenes in Elysium.

Ghost of Sparta: The final boss fight with Deimos at your side.

And finally, the Lizard trial from Heavy Rain.

Everyone is going to hate me for this. But two things are counted among my top sections or levels in gaming that seem to be hated by everyone else, and one of them is the Library in Halo, particularly the remastered version in Anniversary. Yes, it's reptitive, and yes, it gets boring seeing the same environment over and over again, but I love a challenge, and playing that level on Legendary is just crazy. No time to think, just act, and hope to Parangosky that you have enough ammo to survive the current wave.

The second one is less controversial, but people here still seem to hate it because it's "not stealthy" or "too much stuff in a bland game" - I really enjoy pretty much all of Assassin's Creed 3 (and even like Connor, seeing plenty of reason for his usual attitude as well as plenty of times he's actually a decent, not-moody, guy, which people don't think of because they don't give a rat's arse about the story in the first place yet still feel they have the right to complain about it :P). But the main thing I want to mention, in terms of 'levels' or 'sections', are the naval battles. I love the different gameplay, mixing things up a little, and the tactics involved (and yes, there are tactics involved) - it also gives a bit of a basic education on old naval warfare strategy, while adding more depth to the game and the plot and something different for people to enjoy. Plus, there's no better feeling than seeing fleets of Templar ships wiped out by one single vessel...

I'm also going to agree with plenty of other people here and say Ravenholme. Whenever I play that level I get so creeped out and tense, checking every corner several times and watching my six just as often as my front. Only Ravenholme in HL2, the Dunwich Building in Fallout 3, and Bioshock and the Houdini Splicers have induced that same level of fear in me in games that aren't specifically horror titles (obviously horror games do this all the time, if they're any good...).

Finally, every part of Myst. Not the game, the franchise. Every single Age in every game in that series has an ethereal beauty and an eerily haunting atmosphere that stays with me long after I've put the game down...

Mine would be:

The end sequence in Enslaved: Odyssey of the west when you're going after Pyramid

Dead Space 2 - The Final boss fight

Spec Ops: The line - I'm only gonna say "Chapter 7" just incase someone doesn't want it spoiled.

Mass Effect 3 - The bonding between Shepard and Garrus

Bioshock 1 - Would you kindly?

Silent Hill: Downpour - The last part where you find out your not the only one locked in the nightmare

Well I really like Eve's "post-death sections" in The Binding of Isaac. She turns into a demon after you hit zero life and you get this new Eve for the rest of the game.

Several sections in the Ace Attorney games come to mind, pretty obvious seeing as it's a mystery game and reveals are always memorable. Any of the chain Objection!'s sections are awesome. With Phoenix and prosecutor of the day objecting at each other in quick succession.

I like any section of a game where things quiet down and take a break from the norm. Like the party mission in Dishonoured where you can chill and talk to random guests before murdering one lady and walking out the front gate. I'm still annoyed the devs didn't think of my master plan of knocking Boyle out, throwing her in her bathtub and leaving the tap on for the accidental/suicide looking death.

God I feel really bad for thinking that one up... I hate the concept of drowning as well.

Oh lategame J4 in LoL is just so much fun.

*enemy carry slightly off to the side of her team*

"DEMACIA!!!!!!!"

*instagibbed*

I'm poor at singling out a single choice when so many can apply, its really a case of what comes to mind.

Me2 suicide mission immediately pops to mind, its one of my fav finales in a game overall.

What also came to mind is Walking dead, when lee hacks through a horde by himself towards the end, possibly with just 1 arm. Seeing this out of context wouldn't deliver the full experience and im guessing if you aint played the game you'd just be "meh". But if you played the game and got emotionally invested, this is a a sweet sequence full of catharsis:

And boy do you need this sequence considering what happens after xD

The game, Hitman: Blood Money. The level, A New Life. Your target is in the witness protection program, and he's throwing a birthday party. The level is not only the target's house, but the entire neighborhood. You can sneak in, knock out some FBI agents and take their suit, go in as a clown, go in through the basement, the second floor window, the front door, the pool side entrance, snipe from a neighbors treehouse, cause an explosion and lure the target out to get run over by the FBI reinforcements, the list goes on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDPcq8fmSoo

Nazulu:
I reckon Black Reach was awesome in Skyrim. It has a really nice atmosphere, and it's interesting hunting monsters and battling bosses in there. It was the only part that felt special in that whole game. I am disappointed with Skyrim, but this still deserves some love.

- The beginning of Super Metroid is still the greatest intro I've ever seen in a game.
- One of ther Colossi in SotC likes to chase you in a sand pit and that was very thrilling.
- I found this awesome boss named Ograoum Papas in Mr. Nutz (some classic games probably no one here ever played), and it's amazingly creepy. The music was great for the particular boss as well.

I can't give you an answer on some games. Metroid Prime and Half-Life 2 have too many great area's. I need to play them again.

I agree, Blackreach was incredible. When I first stepped into the great hall which was so high I could barely see the ceiling with giant fungi growing everywhere the game instantly turned from great to amazingly awesome. It felt like something out of a Lovecraft story.

Fort Frolic is the highpoint of Bioshock. I'm a sucker for all kinds of crazy and surreal, and that level had both in spades. The moment when you step into the concert hall where Fitzpatrick is playing the piano is incredibly eerie and haunting, and fits perfectly with the tone of the game.

The last level of Painkiller wasn't its best in terms of gameplay (in fact it was probably the least entertaining), but it was a visual masterpiece, and anyone who's played it will remember it forever.

Something in Oblivion's tutorial struck a chord with me. Somehow it felt exactly like how I want an RPG to feel like in the beginning. Just all alone in a dungeon, killing small fry enemies like rats and zombies, slowly gathering gear and learning new gameplay mechanics. Skyrim's tutorial felt more like Call of Duty, what with buildings burning around you, people running around and shouting all the time. It felt less effective IMO.

AT God:
The airport level in Max Payne 3 should have won some kind of award, especially the part in the terminal because of the very fitting music.

I agree. For all of gaming's attempts to be more "cinematic" this is the only scene I can think of that really managed to pull off that adrenaline-pumping, action movie set piece feel. What's more, it's one of those levels that's really fun to go back and play through again to try to do it better/more stylishly.

I can't believe I'm going to be the first to say this level.
Crew expendable from the original cod 4.
The first five minutes of that level really made me feel like a spec ops badass, a feat that has yet to be replicated by any game up to this point.

The final level in Transformers: Fall of Cybertron, sure it was a bit shorter then the others,but it had a lot going on, giving you the perspectives of half a dozen characters as this battle rages on. It also did something I had never seen a game do before then and that is:

chozo_hybrid:
The final level in Transformers: Fall of Cybertron, sure it was a bit shorter then the others,but it had a lot going on, giving you the perspectives of half a dozen characters as this battle rages on. It also did something I had never seen a game do before then and that is:

That was an epic fight along with the ending and credits thanks to Stan bush.

I also loved this scene as well as finally getting to play Bruticus.

Shadow-Phoenix:
Snip.

Yes, that was awesome too, they really did an awesome job with the game. It may not be a long game, but for me it was a case of quality over quantity, and the quality was excellent, especially if you're a Transformers fan. I just wish they had a collectors edition, it would be so easy for Hasbro to give them awesome figures to with the game etc. I say this mainly because we only got two in my country from the first game, that's Optimus and Bumblebee. And we got three from the second game, being Shockwave, Optimus and Jazz. I would love me some Grimlock and Metroplex, but I can't get them unless I wanna pay ,megabucks >_<

chozo_hybrid:

Shadow-Phoenix:
Snip.

Yes, that was awesome too, they really did an awesome job with the game. It may not be a long game, but for me it was a case of quality over quantity, and the quality was excellent, especially if you're a Transformers fan. I just wish they had a collectors edition, it would be so easy for Hasbro to give them awesome figures to with the game etc. I say this mainly because we only got two in my country from the first game, that's Optimus and Bumblebee. And we got three from the second game, being Shockwave, Optimus and Jazz. I would love me some Grimlock and Metroplex, but I can't get them unless I wanna pay ,megabucks >_<

It was probably one of the greatest games I'd played from 2012 and the TF fan inside me squeed when I saw the TF movie scene where Megatron interrupted Starscream's crowning ceremony.

Also I'd love if they made a collectors edition with say jazz,meggs or optimus or maybe a bumblebee which would be a great piece.

I'd kill for the Takara Bruticus but jesus is he expensive and I'm still waiting on fan transformation versions since the current Hasbro transformation theory makes his arms look too long and beefy like that of Gorillas.

The two Pripyat levels of CoD 4 were the best video game sniper missions I've ever played. Just the combination of the gloomy atmosphere and the stealth aspect (at least in the first half) made it one of the most memorable moments in the game aside from that thing at the end of Act 1.
For better or worse, nearly every level in the whole game gave me the impression of being a military badass.

Singularly Datarific:

For instance, my favorite section of any game is Surface Tension from the original Half Life. That part is pure adrenaline mixed with "thank God I'm finally freaking outside."

DAMN! Beat me to it.

Id have to go with the Hell levels of Diablo II or the final sprint of Blast Pit from Half Life, And i would actually choose the Black Mesa version, simply because the music by Joel Neilson at that bit makes it all the more heart pounding.

Carmageddon: MagnaChem Acid Ocean Reprocessor races
Borderlands 2: Caustic Caverns
Metro 2033: Every time when hittign the surface
Painkiller Hell Wars: Leningrad

The title screen from Timesplitters 2 you could leave that thing on for hours.
Oh you want a gameplay segment?

The last two bosses in Devil May Cry 3. The first of the two because that is when the game pulls out all the stops to make you go "damn that is awesome". The final boss because the writing went from ok to really good and the music sets the tone for the final climactic battle. It also helps that the boss fight is made of pure win with difficulty that makes it feel like a final boss.

The stretch in Head Over Heels from Blacktooth Market to the Moonbase. All that time getting to grips with their separate weaknesses... and then you get to find out what the combined pair of them can really do.

Everything in Laverne's time in Day Of The Tentacle.

Space Harrier's fourth stage, Ceiciel, the first time the roof closes in.

(And yeah, I'm trying to avoid final levels, cutscenes, and 99% of Bayonetta, because they're all automatically designed to be awesome.)

Fatal Frame 3: The Tormented.
The later section of the game where the Miasma starts being a factor.

Klanoa 2 to the PS2. King of Sorrow.
Aside from that I'd have to say the tank mission from BF3 was pretty good if a bit short.

chozo_hybrid:

Oh god yes this. Best final mission I've ever played in a game. The way it just seamlessly switches perspectives between the two sides of the conflict and the different characters is fantastic.

I won't be able to choose between three missions unless I could play all three of them back to back or something, so I'll list all three of them.

ME2: Suicide mission.
The desperation of trying to get to the heart of the collector base. Your previous choices and the ones you make during the mission having a visible impact on what happens, the not difficult but definitely adrenaline inducing final fight...all of it really.

ME3: Priority: Tuchanka.
This is how all missions in mass effect should be. It had some minor plot holes, but I could look past them. That entire mission was just perfection to me taken in context.

ME3: Priority: Earth when you defend the rocket tanks to fire at the spider reaper.
It's not just the reaper slowly coming closer and closer with that fear-inducing roar of his and lasers shooting down things left and right. It's also how the mission played. I went in thinking "okay, this might be difficult but I'll make it no problem." However when the second-to-last wave of enemies came I was really running out of bullets and medi-gels. And during the last wave I was basically going "Oh shit oh shit, no more bullets! I'll never make it!" And then when I finally did make it just barely...that was just a wonderful feeling of relief and adrenaline pumping and all that. It was the most tense section in the entire game for me.

So yea...hard to choose between those three. =/

My favorite is definitely the city elf origin in DA: Origins. I felt it was a really great story, one of the best I've ever run across in a game. It was also a really cool game.

While not exactly a single level, I really enjoyed the train sequence in Uncharted 2. It was what, 3 chapters worth? All I know is I loved the crap out of it. Makes sense I suppose since Naughty Dog put so much time into it.

Mass Effect 2 and the suicide mission. Everything was tense, decisions had to be made, and coming out alive with everybody? Man, I felt like just kicking back and opening a soda, saying "Yup, feels damn good..."

And in Mass Effect 3, priority Earth. I know some people dislike it for the constant waves of enemies that come at you, but I remember thinking to myself: "Well ****, glad I got the hell out of dodge when I did". How many enemies did I destroy just to get 5 (or was it 10?)blocks to the damn rally point? May not have been easy getting as many allies as I could, but I was sure glad I got away from Earth in the beginning. Just the amount of devastation and enemies really made it seem like an invasion. Oh, and the final talk with your crew...too many emotions.

Oh, and I guess the final level in Heavy Rain. Was so nervous trying desperately not to screw up.

I'm positive there is a lot more that I'm forgetting. There are a bunch of games I enjoyed a lot but can't exactly find any area that stood out to me specifically (like Dead Space 2). I know there has been a lot though.

forgotten all the annoying coding for the forums anyway to "youtube embed on the forum". Click at 9:52 for one of the coolest moments in my favourite game

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDCpooKLKqY&list=PLA04FECBCCA9FED25&index=43

For Mass Effect 3, damn near everything in the Tuchanka mission is delivered perfectly. The best lines, the best music, the most awesome display of monster on monster violence, and one of the best examples of a sacrifice for the greater good (if you decided not to be an asshole). I cry on this mission on every single playthrough.

Conker's Bad Fur Day: Poo Mountain
Halo CE: Assault on the Control Room
Advance Wars 2: Any mission on the Yellow Comet continent

Honestly, the first thing that jumped to mind is the Haunted Hotel mission from Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines. It was one of the few times in gaming that I actually felt that the level itself was malevolent and that I was in a real haunted house.

The game is cheap as hell on GoG and Steam, it's near the beginning of the game, and it's a spoiler to watch a video, just go play it.

I'd have to say either the Tuchanka or Rannoch arcs in Mass Effect 3. Each were filled with completely amazing moments, which you could only access by fulfilling multiple prerequisites (though, most people achieved them through regular play).

Because NOBODY will ever say this, a level that I never tired of in my younger days was Mission 5(?) in F-Zero GX. The one where you ostensibly have to just win, but there's 30 copies of the same racer between you and the goal and you pretty much have to kill all of them to win. The music was outstanding, the pace of the level was terrific and it's still reasonably challenging to me.

Another: Liberating Old Kakariko in Twilight Princess. The Old Western style of that part is amazing. I would reset the game after beating it so I could do it again.

Saints Row 3: Taking the penthouse is one of the only times when Kanye West can improve the mood.

The last boss fight in Just Cause 2. You know the one where you're hookshotting back and forth between 3 ICBM's midair, firing wildly at Kim Jong Il's videogame counterpart? Yeah you know the one I'm talking about.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked