18.3% (13)
18.3% (13)
No.
40.8% (29)
40.8% (29)
Maybe.
26.8% (19)
26.8% (19)
I love the corp! Therefore I already got it/pre ordered it!
14.1% (10)
14.1% (10)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: Aliens: Colonial Marines unboxed :)

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Just got my copy of the collectors edition and figured I would use my new digital camera at the same time to show people how the collectors edition measured up compared to its marketed images.

I apologies if these photos aren't the best, I think I did okay though. They're fairly big, so I'll be spoiler tagging them, also put the small write ups/descriptions in there too.

My overall opinion, I think this is one of the better collectors editions I have got in a while. It's so easy to just put a few dlc codes in, some crappy things on cardboard and call something a collectors editions, but this went a few steps further and gave some decent stuff, kudos Gearbox!

Just wanted to share that with you guys an gals :)

EDIT: For those of you who wanted more info, I had a lot to say after playing a bit. I've put up a first impressions review if anyone is interested - http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/326.400784-Aliens-Colonial-Marines-first-impressions-review

I hope it helps.

Have you played it yet? I want to get some opinions on it before tomorrow.

Doclector:
Have you played it yet? I want to get some opinions on it before tomorrow.

It's just finished installing on my Xbox now, so I guess I can give opinion soon if people want?

I'm a little upset. I bought it on Steam, but it won't be unlocked for another nine hours.

Kopikatsu:
I'm a little upset. I bought it on Steam, but it won't be unlocked for another nine hours.

I'm sorry to hear that, must be due to region. I'm in New Zealand and we just get it this morning, no too far to go though, hang in there :)

The patches look cool, and the statue looks great as well. I suppose I might have to pick that set up if it's still available by the time I get a job. I still feel sore about missing the chance to get one of these.

I LOL'd at that dot matrix printout. I can imagine the military still using those things in the future.

chozo_hybrid:

Kopikatsu:

I'm sorry to hear that, must be due to region. I'm in New Zealand and we just get it this morning, no too far to go though, hang in there :)

That doubly sucks, because I've wanted to move to New Zealand for a while, but you guys have some pretty strict immigration laws.

I'm only really curious about one thing. Character customization, is it in the campaign or only the online multiplayer?

Maeshone:
I'm only really curious about one thing. Character customization, is it in the campaign or only the online multiplayer?

I would say only multiplayer, because you play a specific character in the campaign. On the other hand, there is drop-in/drop-out multiplayer...and you can't all be the same guy. So maybe...

Kopikatsu:

Maeshone:

I would say only multiplayer, because you play a specific character in the campaign. On the other hand, there is drop-in/drop-out multiplayer...and you can't all be the same guy. So maybe...

The customization is pretty good, a lot to unlock and play with. Even the aliens get a few choices with skin tone and head types to unlock for multiplayer. Controls seem pretty solid, I played a couple rounds of survivor, was pretty bad-ass. I could up up a review type thing a bit later once I play through a little of the campaign, just to give people an idea on it? Sound like a good idea?

chozo_hybrid:

Kopikatsu:

Maeshone:

The customization is pretty good, a lot to unlock and play with. Even the aliens get a few choices with skin tone and head types to unlock for multiplayer. Controls seem pretty solid, I played a couple rounds of survivor, was pretty bad-ass. I could up up a review type thing a bit later once I play through a little of the campaign, just to give people an idea on it? Sound like a good idea?

Do you have a capture card?

Bitches love capture cards.

Kopikatsu:
Do you have a capture card?

Bitches love capture cards.

No, I am looking at getting one though, sorry >_<

I saw some "leaked reviews" saying that the game is Shit. Please confirm that it isn't.

Terminate421:
I saw some "leaked reviews" saying that the game is Shit. Please confirm that it isn't.

I've found it good so far, played the first mission with a friend split screen and didn't have any problems.

Terminate421:

Most of the reviews I've seen either come from people on facebook with that special writing style that screams "Complete fucking moron" or people saying that Games TM gave it a bad score. I don't really know much of games tm's work, so I can't comment on their reliability.

Still. Makes me a little nervous. There has been some people saying they like it, but they can't be relied upon much more.

There is a walkthrough, though. Try that.

I'm getting it. While not a fan of Aliens, I do like the second movie and this one looks fun. I'm certainly not expecting perfection and game-of-the-year, but it looks fun enough to kill time while I wait for BioShock and Gears of War. I enjoyed Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City, and many people say that game is horrid.
And who knows? Perhaps it will be good. Wish some of my friends were picking it up though.

AHHHH I JUST WANT TO KNOW HOW IT PLAYS, FORGET ABOUT THE EXTRAS.

Anyway, my friend got the super box edition like...a week ago. Seriously, was the street date broken or something? I have not seen many reviews out yet.

should i get this, or crysis 3? i can't get both, and i suck at making decisions.

bullet_sandw1ch:
should i get this, or crysis 3? i can't get both, and i suck at making decisions.

Depends. If you have friends, Aliens. If you don't, Crysis. (I say this because Aliens is a squad-based thing. Crysis is a 'run around with super speed, strength, invisible' thing.)

Terminate421:

I've put up a first impressions review if anyone is interested - http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/326.400784-Aliens-Colonial-Marines-first-impressions-review

I hope it helps.

I'm getting the game, definitely, but not at release. I cancelled my pre-order when it turned out that Survivor wasn't a wave survival/horde mode. I still had the intention of getting the game then, and despite how bad the game is turning out to be, I still intend to get it. Just a warning for anybody who plans on getting it, well, this video explains it pretty well. Warning: fluctuating volume.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dPF8jpItCs&list=FLQxoj52IjAbgissW0S8ipzA&index=1

(sorry, I don't know how to embed on this forum)

I hear the multiplayer is pretty fun though. Maybe not $60 value fun, but everybody I've heard from reviewed the multiplayer positively, albeit being a bit minimalistic in some ways.

Glad to see you liking it.

I notice you bought it from Mightyape but it doesn't have a New Zealand OFLC sticker. Interesting.

MarsAtlas:
snip

Why hello there :P.

Nouw:

Danke. I never even figured this out on my previous account here.

I am terrified if I wasted 60$ on this game or not. I keep seeing reviews as if it's shit.

MarsAtlas:
I'm getting the game, definitely, but not at release. I cancelled my pre-order when it turned out that Survivor wasn't a wave survival/horde mode. I still had the intention of getting the game then, and despite how bad the game is turning out to be, I still intend to get it. Just a warning for anybody who plans on getting it, well, this video explains it pretty well. Warning: fluctuating volume.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dPF8jpItCs&list=FLQxoj52IjAbgissW0S8ipzA&index=1

(sorry, I don't know how to embed on this forum)

I hear the multiplayer is pretty fun though. Maybe not $60 value fun, but everybody I've heard from reviewed the multiplayer positively, albeit being a bit minimalistic in some ways.

Horde Mode is DLC that's being added in March. I believe. Not 100% sure on that date...maybe ~93% sure?

Kopikatsu:
Horde Mode is DLC that's being added in March. I believe. Not 100% sure on that date...maybe ~93% sure?

March 19th. SEGA made the announcement after it was leaked from a picture of a Wal-Mart circular. It'll be that, and at least a few multiplayer maps. There might be some story-campaign missions and customization options added too. I could probably find out if I looked it up. Its for a price of $15 too. I'd normally say that I'm sure Gearbox could've had a horde out in the final build from the time that it was clear there was an interest for it, but seeing as its suffering from Duke Nukem Forever Syndrome, I have to give SEGA the benefit of the doubt and that it wasn't ripped from the final product for DLC.

That was actually when it was confirmed that Suvivor wasn't wave survival, even though SEGA may have intentionally advertised it as such, and even if not, they certainly didn't correct the housands of people who were making the mistake and pre-ordering the game because of it. Dicks. Anyways, I don't know if it'll be any good anyways, looking at how bad the AI is now.

Nouw:

I notice you bought it from Mightyape but it doesn't have a New Zealand OFLC sticker.

I take those off, I hate stickers on my game cases, it's a pet peeve. But how'd you know I got it from Mightyape?

chozo_hybrid:

Nouw:

I notice you bought it from Mightyape but it doesn't have a New Zealand OFLC sticker.

I take those off, I hate stickers on my game cases, it's a pet peeve. But how'd you know I got it from Mightyape?

You have to tell me how to do that :o

The bandanna was a freebie that came with pre-ordering the game from Mightyape. It looked like some kind of gang face-cover to me :P, cool nonetheless. I don't suppose you won the fancy statue?

Aliens was never my thing, but I respect how the statue is good. If I liked the franchise I would love to have it on my shelf.

Nouw:

chozo_hybrid:

Nouw:

The bandanna was a freebie that came with pre-ordering the game from Mightyape. It looked like some kind of gang face-cover to me :P, cool nonetheless. I don't suppose you won the fancy statue?

Patience, my dad gave me this bottle of stuff that helps removing stickers off stuff. Can't remember what it's called since he just put some in a Coke bottle and gave it to me.

Ah, didn't know it was exclusive to them. I was looking on my pictures to see if something showed it, but couldn't find any leads as to where I bought it from XD.

chozo_hybrid:

Nouw:

chozo_hybrid:

Patience, my dad gave me this bottle of stuff that helps removing stickers off stuff. Can't remember what it's called since he just put some in a Coke bottle and gave it to me.

Ah, didn't know it was exclusive to them. I was looking on my pictures to see if something showed it, but couldn't find any leads as to where I bought it from XD.

I suppose I'll have to find it the hard way! With a google search >.>.

Hahaha, I'm not that perceptive ;).

Aaaaand reviews are in. Here's just a few:

Escapist here gave it a 3/5

IGN gave it a 4.5/10

Destructoid gave it a 2.5/10

General sentiment seems to be that only a fan of the Alien franchise would want to play it, and even then, you're going to feel like you've been slapped in the face by the plot.

I am enjoying it, there was one point that made me cringe.

Strelok:
I am enjoying it, there was one point that made me cringe.

From what I'm hearing it's bombing pretty horribly.

Gearbox should stick to games that start with the letter B, it's apparently what they're good at. Borderlands. Brothers in Arms. Bopposing Force.

They make forays into these other letters of the alphabet and it just falls apart. A for Aliens, D for Duke Nukem.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked