Need an MMORPG recomendation.

Hi everybody,several years ago I played a little game called world of Warcraft (before cataclysm) and I had to stop because it was way too much money and I didn't have enough time to play as much as I wanted. Now I find myself in a position where I have more free time, more money, and a hankering to play a really good adventure MMORPG, so I would like a recommendation for a game like that, preferably one that's on the cheaper side (I don't make tons of money) and preferably something that's not WOW.

Thank you very much

I've been having a fair bit of fun with Wizardry Online lately. I haven't gotten far enough in it to say how good it's endgame or anything is, though.

Word of warning, though; it has open PVP and each death has a chance at being permanent.

I quite like that, myself, but it's not gonna be for everyone.

The old republic. It actually contains a decent story for each of the classes with... dialogue choices! And the standard black white good and evil thing all Bioware games have. It has a free to play option but it cuts a lot of useful things out. The gameplay is solid and varies well between classes. I would suggest playing for free first before buying.

Some awesome Free-To-Play MMOs are out there waiting for ya.

Vindictus: An Action-MMORPG with great combat, fun classes, some neat crafting and the ability to break parts off of bosses. All for free. You can play as a massive guy with a Pillar who can chuck it at people. If that's not enough of a reason you can also throw enemies at one another as well as watermelons. The game can be repetitive as you have to get a certain score on some quests to get another or get a specific drop to finish a quest.

DC Universe Online: Besides having the Voice Actors from the 90s cartoons, Mark Hamil as The Joker for example, the combat is pretty fun with you being able to choose both a power and a weapon set to use. So you can run around shooting fire from twin pistols or using a giant hammer whilst throwing bombs at people. It tips off at max level as there's nothing to do but run dungeons over and over but those are at least fun. If not kind of hard on solo.

Dungeons and Dragons Online: The most well known Action Combat MMO. The DM reading out quest text as you enter a dungeon and the classic DND monsters like The Beholder and Mind Flayers. It can be a little bit complicated what with all the stats and bonuses to take into account but it's a fun game for sure and you can easily blow some time in it. It does suffer from repetitive dungeons, even more so than Vindictus, as you have a limited number of dungeons to run unless you unlock others.

Lord of the Rings Online (Currently Playing): An MMORPG that takes place in the Lord of the Rings universe. What else do you need to know? Well, ok, it's a standard hot-key MMO like WoW, so you'll spend most of the time clicking skills instead of swinging your weapon like the others but the combat is fun. The classes vary fairly well with all sorts of tricks and only two of them, The Warden and The Rune Keeper, being restricted. You have access to all races. You also have the ability to grind out Turbine Points by doing Deeds so if your dedicated enough you can get through the entire game without ever spending a buck. That can be a downside as well though as some of the content requires you to spend points to unlock it. Though it's well worth it as I've unlocked a Rune Keeper and have been enjoying the ever loving hell out of him.

Other Mentions, games I've heard of or tried but not for long. Spiral Knights, Dragons Nest, SWTOR, Guild Wars 2, kind of, it's only a $60 purchase, Wizardy Online, Allods Online,Path of Exile(MMO Dungeon Crawler, search youtube for TotalBiscuits look at it) basically, poke around Google or Steam and give some of the mmos a shot. Tons are free and all it'll cost you is the time needed to download them.

ALSO, whist not an MMO you can try League of Legends or Team Fortress 2. Even Minecraft or Terraria if you want some different fun. Torchlight 2 as well, it's only $20 and GOD DAMN FUN!

The Secret World. One time purchase. Combat sucks, and they try to have the standard MMO "endgame" or their variation of it rather, but it still sucks, but now that it's one time purchase only I'd recommend it because they pull off the Lovecraftian horror/conspiracy theory atmosphere REALLY well. It might even actually scare you if you play late at night in a dark room, and for an MMORPG, that's impressive.

Also Champions Online/DC Universe but hard to decide which one to recommend more - DC Universe has more enjoyable combat and travel powers, but Champions Online has a greater variety of powers overall. While at first glance Champions Online has a more versatile character creator, DC Universe Online actually dolls out costume pieces with the gear like a normal MMO so you're given an incentive to play the game to make your character look exactly the way you want to and also maintains that visual sense of progression in an MMO that Champions lacks. Also Champions Online is going to the dark side of F2P with it's endless lockboxes, while DC Universe has been rolling out actual content though for a price.

ScrabbitRabbit:
I've been having a fair bit of fun with Wizardry Online lately. I haven't gotten far enough in it to say how good it's endgame or anything is, though.

Word of warning, though; it has open PVP and each death has a chance at being permanent.

I quite like that, myself, but it's not gonna be for everyone.

Damn, I was wondering when I would see someone mention this game. Everyone seems to like Dark Souls so much so I'd thought that an MMO with a focus on difficulty would draw some attention.

Guild Wars 2. Just Guild Wars 2.

SWTOR would be the best idea. It's more story focused, which is actually a good difference from most other MMO's.

Qitz:
Some awesome Free-To-Play MMOs are out there waiting for ya.

Vindictus: An Action-MMORPG with great combat, fun classes, some neat crafting and the ability to break parts off of bosses. All for free. You can play as a massive guy with a Pillar who can chuck it at people. If that's not enough of a reason you can also throw enemies at one another as well as watermelons. The game can be repetitive as you have to get a certain score on some quests to get another or get a specific drop to finish a quest.

Ooh, I'd totally forgotten about this game! I dunno why, the combat is absolutely fantastic, though I remember the character creation leaving a lot to be desired.

Guild Wars 2 which is B2P (buy the game no subscription)

An up and comer you may want to look into would be Neverwinter which will be 100% F2P but that is months from release

Guild Wars is a very well done MMO and I highly recommend it. Although it's not as lively as it used to be, especially in the PvP areas, because of Guild Wars 2's release. Which I also recommend.

I myself am patiently waiting for the Elder Scrolls Online. While at first I was skeptic (dat art direction), it looks like it's gonna be really good.

As for MMOs that have released... uh, TERA? Only one to pique my interest, though I haven't played it.

Kuranesno7:
Guild Wars 2. Just Guild Wars 2.

Yep and yep.

Guildwars 2 is a delightful experience. I would recommend it over swtor certainly. The problems with Swtor is that it's very aggressively cash-shop'd. You actually have User Interface elements locked behind a paywall if you can believe that. Furthermore, in later levels you'll have a hard time keeping a steady pace since xp is gimped for people who don't pay so a lot of your time will be spent mindlessly grinding old school style so you can get the levels needed to progress. As for the story? Mediocre at best, the game lets you make lots of choices, but those choices never amount to anything. Did you choose to save the rebelling slaves or kill them? Doesn't matter it will never come up again, it really just comes down to "Do you want good guy points, or bad guy points?" The rest is just the illusion of choice, nothing more. Whether or not you chose to save the general on the Brental Star will never impact the story at a later date. So don't be fooled by claims of an epic tale, the story is rather mediocre and doesn't have that much going for it.

I have been having a lot of fun in The Old Republic, with its emphasis on story content and cutscenes. Though if you want the premium experience you have to pay, so if you are hard pressed for cash, you should go with something like Guild Wars 2.

One of the better fantasy MMORPGs Ive played lately is Raiderz. Its actually a free to play MMORPG thats kind of a mix between WoW and monster hunter. Although it has a very different combat system. You could also try Tera Online or Everquest 2 which are also free to play (although I dont know what their business model currently is so free to play access may be rubbish). I would also say everquest but I remember that game requiring groups to advance and I dont know if thats still the case. The biggest positive is it has some of the most hardcore raiding that has ever been created. So it might be worth a look if you can suffer the bad for the amazing

Those are really the only ones I would recommend unless you also want to try and get into the Neverwinter Beta (which will also be free to play at launch)

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked