What do you think of this "new" mode of gameplay?
Played it before.
16.7% (1)
16.7% (1)
Won't play it, it sounds hard.
16.7% (1)
16.7% (1)
I have suggestions.
16.7% (1)
16.7% (1)
This sounds stupid...
50% (3)
50% (3)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: Skyrim Hardest/Realistic Mode (PS3, Xbox, PC compatible!)

Skyrim: Hardest/Realistic Mode (PS3, Xbox, PC compatible gameplay)
Realistic mode is still in "beta", and is open for suggestions.

Start the game from the very beginning. You can choose any character you want, but the rule is that you cannot save your game unless you sleep at an Inn or in a bed for no less than 6 hours.

Rules: You can only save the game when sleeping at an Inn, or in a bed. You must sleep no less than 6 hours to save.

You are only allowed 1 save. No multiple saves.

All auto-saves must be turned off in the settings.

Must play on Master Difficulty (Hardest difficulty).

Must change all HUDs to 0% opacity in the settings. No crosshairs allowed. You must aim like you would in real life.

Music must be turned down to 0%; all other audio must be turned up to 100%.

Brightness settings must remain at 50%, or default value.

All subtitles must be turned off.

Look Sensitivity must be turned down to 50%, or default value.

You cannot fast travel during the game. You can only pay to ride carriages to other towns, or walk there.

If the game freezes you must start back from your last save, or the beginning of the game.

This mode can be used to play on any system. PC is preferred due to the accuracy of mouse aiming. PS3 and Xbox can still be played this way.

You must talk to the NPC's as if you were your own character during dialogue options. This means reading the dialogue option out loud as if you were talking to that character then pressing enter to hear their response. Try to sound like your character when you talk. It will make the game experience much more enjoyable.

You must play in first person view only, except for when the game puts you in third person, such as riding a horse, or a kill cam.

You must earn gold and experience the natural way, by working hard! No cheating or using glitches.

You cannot use the "Wait" command at all during the game. You must wait it out in real time.

You can only save your game by sleeping at an Inn or your house, but never at any bedrolls located out in the wilderness or in dungeons. You can sleep there you just cannot save. Saving is meant to be located in the safest place possible in Skyrim.

You save, manually, after you have slept no less than 6 hours, not before. Your save should be next to the bed of the inn or home where you slept.

If you die you will reload from the Inn or house you saved at. It was all a dream!

Details of Realistic Mode:

-You will not be able to use the compass to see where you need to go. Refer to the map to guide you.

-You will not be able to see your health, or your enemy's health. Also, you will not be able to see your Magic, or Stamina bar. Although you can view this on the Skills tree.

-You cannot see NPC's dialogue, so listen up to what they have to say.

-You will not be able to see items you can pick up by pressing enter. Therefore, look around to see what can be picked up. Consequentially, you will not know if an item belongs to someone or not because the "red font" lettering of items that can be stolen will not be displayed. Use caution when taking something in someone's house, even if you know them.

-Try to play in a comfortable zone where you will not have much distraction. The more immersed you are into the game the better experience you will have. Playing with headphones, or surround sound heightens the experience.

So, my brother and I "invented" this idea of playing after getting bored with Skyrim. We started over from scratch and started making the game harder by changing the settings around. Before we knew it we no longer had a HUD on the screen, in fact we had nothing. It was not only more realistic but also way crazier and scary because we had to literally use our eyes to scout for dangers in the world.
You will die! Your goal is to make it to an Inn (the nearest being the one in Riverwood when you restart) and saving the game. We invented rules to make this experience crazy and fun at the same time. This is the closest we could get to 'realism' in Skyrim. We played it on the PS3. Also an expansion pack comes out tomorrow. Yay!
I hope you guys enjoy this and if you want post your stories about who your character is and what they are doing in the land of hard, realistic Skyrim, and if they survive or not.
These rules are for fun purposes only and are still open for discussions and additions, omissions, or changes. Please let me know what you think, below.

-Shawn

PS: I also realize that this could have already been invented and discussed already. I'm just new to the game.

Why would anyone think that this is a good idea? This is taking out a lot of enjoyment from the game. Challenge is not an issue as long as playing the actual game is fun. This isn't fun.

The biggest weakness of this by far is the lack of health, magicka and stamina bar. In a "realistic" situation you can at least tell when you're in pain or tired.

But other than that this looks interesting.

Adam Jensen:
Why would anyone think that this is a good idea? This is taking out a lot of enjoyment from the game. Challenge is not an issue as long as playing the actual game is fun. This isn't fun.

It was fun while I played it, at least for a little bit. The challenge was to make it as hard/realistic as possible, while still being fun. The real emotional experience came from the heightened sense of adrenaline it required to stay alive, not knowing at all if you were going to survive. For instance, you can't just go in and start slashing people and expect the game to let you win, you actually have to be, ahem, "smart."

And if you don't like it, don't play it. Thanks for stopping by!

RatherDull:
The biggest weakness of this by far is the lack of health, magicka and stamina bar. In a "realistic" situation you can at least tell when you're in pain or tired.

Yes that sure was the hardest part was not being able to see any of your health, or your enemies, which makes it kinda realistic. You don't know how much health bar you have in real life. Again, some of these rules could be changed to fit your playing style, but I just found it interesting that the developers even included an ommission of the HUD, therefore there are some people out there who like to play this way. Again, you can still see your health by looking at the skills tab, but you're character also starts to breath heavily and a heartbeat sound pops up when you are about to die, therefore enabling you to use a quick potion hotbarred to your favorites! :)

Suggestions to make it as hard/realistic as possible are still open. :)

Ian Contreras:

RatherDull:

Yes that sure was the hardest part was not being able to see any of your health, or your enemies, which makes it kinda realistic. You don't know how much health bar you have in real life.

But in real life you can feel it. So you know when to go to the doctor. You can't feel it in the game. That's why we have health bars. So it's more realistic to have a health bar.

I personally preferred a mod that changed the combat to be more dark-souls like. Blocking and dodging is NEEDED. A single arrow will kill you if it hits your chest/head at early levels and you aren't wearing heavy armor. Likewise your hits can kill much faster too. You need a silver weapon to deal with undead. Normal weapons do very little damage against them. And so on.

The only reason I'm not using that mod any more is because here and there things were just too unbalanced. Like in the first dungeon to get that first shout, there were two draugr just before the final boss. Both could FUS RO DAH you. Their shout was on a very low cooldown and it would kill you in one hit. Blocking didn't help, and dodging 2 at once was impossible. Sending my companion after them only resulted in her being instagibbed time and time again without actually hitting either for any damage.

So yea...the mod still needs work, but it was a lot more fun during the times when it was properly balanced, than this kind of 'realism' thing.

Adam Jensen:

I agree with this, I love a challenge but this isn't the right kind of challenge, its just making the game stupidly and frustratingly difficult to play and enjoy. It isn't really any closer to being 'realistic' than the base game either.

If you want a challenge in Skyrim, try something creative like a pacifist run where you never use anything that causes direct damage to enemies, so you have to use illusion and conjuration and spend most of your time dodging enemy attacks. Don't just brutally handicap your ability to play the game, you may as well make a rule where you have to hit yourself over the head with a bit of wood every time an enemy hits you with a melee attack.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked