Edge Magazine gets an interview with Miyazaki about Dark Souls 2

We don't learn much in the way of new information from it, but there's some interesting quotes involved that should please...um...the "core" fans?

"I really love those two titles; however, maybe this is the time to have new inspiration, so I'm fine about that. I'm looking forward to playing Dark Souls II not as part of the development team but with a little bit of distance. I [wouldn't] really care for Dark Souls VIII to come out. That's not the point. It's more, 'What do the fans want?' We want to stay true to what they expect."

He's also very confident in the leadership of the two new directors.

SOURCE: http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/01/30/dark-souls-future/?ns_campaign=article-feed&ns_mchannel=ref&ns_source=steam&ns_linkname=0&ns_fee=0

If anyone is taking any tidbits they can like me, I hope this makes you feel a little better. I'm gonna check out Famitsu and a couple of other Japanese publications, as they may get exclusive interviews, and we've had issues with bad translations in the past from Miyazaki. I'll keep hollows around here updated if and when I learn anything new. Speculation! (Except easy mode, God fucking dammit that horse went from dead, to zombie, to hollow, and Lord Gwyn knocked it over the God child's head clear past the Citadel)

EDIT: Shibuya-san (new director) states in a different interview that Namco knows that in order to outsell Dark Souls, they need all of the built-in fanbase on board for the sequel first. In reference to "accessibility", he intends to flesh out the tutorial and ensure that 100% of players can't, for example, walk into the Catacombs on accident. He also emphasized the covenant system, claiming that each of them won't be so hidden, and that their purpose in the online will be more clear. Also, Miyazaki's role as "supervisor" is already finished, as he laid the groundwork, and mainly set the schedule/time-frame so that less patches are required at launch. He expressed regret that Dark Souls didn't ship fully balanced and bug-free, and his main contribution was ensuring a smoother launch for the sequel.

So they are in fact doing what everyone begged them not to do, not to fuck with the basic game for the sake of noobs.
How about you devs listen to that part of the fanbase and don't gimp the bloody game.

I'm still sad to hear that Miyazaki won't be heading it up as lead director, but I'm not gonna freak about it. I think Sanzaru Games did well with Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time. So here's to hoping that Shibuya will do well with Dark Souls II.

Speculation! Well, not really. Just something I'd like to see implemented but probably won't be.

I'd love to see the appearance of a personal phantom that haunts you throughout the game. An inner darkness akin to the Dark Prince of Prince of Persia: Two Thrones. One that believes that all that is your is rightfully theirs and they will hound you at various points in attempt to slay you and assume your form and power, so it can resume your life as it sees fit. At first you're incapable of stopping it. You're not powerful enough, so you'd better bolt and get the hell away from it or it's going to kill you. Later as you grow in power, you can resist this manifestation of your inner darkness instead of running from it. Ultimately I'd like to see it as the most dangerous foe you'll come to toe with. Kinda like the SA-X from Metroid Fusion. That thing genuinely scared me shitless whenever it showed up because I was utterly powerless against it.

It's probably asking a lot but that's just something I'd love to see put into the game. It'll probably never happen but I think it's a neat idea.

There must always be a swamp level.

Always.

It's the Souls way.

I'm happy with this. The shitty explanation of the covenant system and the ability to walk into the catacombs straight away and get killed by the skeletons added nothing of worth to the game anyway.

Daystar Clarion:

Always.

It's the Souls way.

Yep. It ain't a Souls game without a annoying as fuck swamp that just constantly poisons you.

ShinyCharizard:
Yep. It ain't a Souls game without a annoying as fuck swamp that just constantly poisons you.

Or slow down the framerates.

I'm awfully good with this. The only thing that bothered me about Dark Souls was the tutorial, so if they fix that and give a better sense of direction, I'm all for it.

And I don't understand the deal with the Catacombs, I've beaten it on my first run through. I've beaten it shortly after I ran through Havel, so I don't see an issue with it. Heck, I even got through the first Necromancer (on another playthrough), but I quit as it felt a bit too formulaic to me. Skeleton, there should be necromancer, NECROMANCER, kill the necromancer.

Im glad they understand that to make the franchise bigger they have to continue catering to the current fans while pulling in new ones. We saw the exact opposite happen with DMC and the game's sales suffered for it. However in the case of Dota2 what were seeing is the same game on a different engine is pulling in pretty much teh same players along with new ones. Whether Dark souls continues to cater to current fans or not is yet to be seen but if they keep the mission statement of the first Dark souls I think it'll turn out all right. Whether its good, thats another story that I cant comment on till I play the game

What still bothers me is Shibuya and Tanimura didnt work on either of the previous souls games (I went through the credits for dark souls and didnt see their names neither do I see them listed in a playthrough of the credits for demons souls). Shibuya's worked on a lot of the monster hunter franchise, a couple resident evil titles (the outbreak ones which werent awful but they werent good either), and some of the ultima series. So he at least brings some experience with giant monster boss fights, rpgs, and some horror elements. I think that will be good. Tanimura worked on a few armored core titles but Im having trouble finding anything else so Im not sure what he has to add except maybe in some kind of PVP context (because armored core mutliplayer was pretty good). I think I would be more comfortable with someone else who worked on Demon's souls, dark souls, or both games but I do want to try and give them the benefit of the doubt. I do think their approach is going to make a different game but if it becomes different enough for me to like or not like it I cant say till I play the game.

As for the accessiblity part Im totally fine with what theyre proposing, in fact I think they should make a much better tutorial to teach new players and Im also ok with just spelling out what covenants do. Those are two things I absolutely agree need to happen. The part Im less excited about and think may even hurt the game from the view of current fans is taking away the ideas of exploration from the player. Dark souls was all about a sense of discovery and exploration, they really need to drive that home and not just lock off areas which is what I think they might do. However if they put very clear warning signs then Im ok with that. Things like the elevator in sens fortress that had blood on it and lead up to spikes or the scorched bodies just before the hellkite wyvern would show up and burn the dragon bridge were really good. I think they need to drive home the ideas of being observant and careful are how you get through and rushing through is how you die

Something else that bothers me is it really does seem like Miyazaki wants to continue with the game. A spokesman from Namco/Bandai last year stated that it was a company decision that he would be in a supervisory role which doesnt sit well with me. Miyazaki made a masterpiece of art with Dark souls and I hear demon's souls is also really really good, it just doesnt seem right for him to not be a big part of the development of dark souls 2 if he wants to be part of it. Then again last year he said something like "sometimes I want to work on a game with a warmer tone" and if thats why hes not in the develpment then I totally support that. I still think this was a decision made my Namco/Bandai though and if so thats really crummy

I do feel like my concerns have been listened to but at this time Im not convinced the new directors will follow through with the expectations of the fans. When everythings said and done I think we fans are either going to hold Dark souls 2 up as a shining glorious piece of art or were going be ready to break out the torches and pitchforks to hunt Shibuya and Tanimura down. Theres probably going to be very little middle ground

Mr.K.:
So they are in fact doing what everyone begged them not to do, not to fuck with the basic game for the sake of noobs.
How about you devs listen to that part of the fanbase and don't gimp the bloody game.

Jesus dude, chill out. They aren't gimping the game, they're just making it less obtuse which can only be a good thing. Would you have any bloody idea how to join the Darkwraiths or what they did if you hadn't read it online or been told? No way in hell.

Keep in mind that 'obtuse' is not the same as 'cryptic'. One of my favourite things about Dark Souls is that element of discovery and dealing with the unknown.

Digi7:

Mr.K.:

Jesus dude, chill out. They aren't gimping the game, they're just making it less obtuse which can only be a good thing. Would you have any bloody idea how to join the Darkwraiths or what they did if you hadn't read it online or been told? No way in hell.

Keep in mind that 'obtuse' is not the same as 'cryptic'. One of my favourite things about Dark Souls is that element of discovery and dealing with the unknown.

To be fair, someone had to find the darkwraiths without knowing where they were. Otherwise we probably still wouldnt know about them. The same goes for returning to the undead asylum or entering the painted world. Thats the great thing about the dark souls community someones always sharing the secrets

Windcaler:

Digi7:

Mr.K.:

To be fair, someone had to find the darkwraiths without knowing where they were. Otherwise we probably still wouldnt know about them. The same goes for returning to the undead asylum or entering the painted world. Thats the great thing about the dark souls community someones always sharing the secrets

That is true, one of Dark Souls strengths is it's fantastic sense of community. I'm not saying they shouldn't keep those kinds of deep secrets hidden away in the corners of the game, because I really love those, but something as big as covenants should be a little less obtuse to find and use.

I too worry about the exploration aspects. I still don't really see how so many people get bogged down in the graveyard/catacombs seeing as there's an NPC right near where you start that tells you where to go first. Ignoring that, however, is the simple fact that going to the graveyard/catacombs isn't really the wrong way once you have experience with the game. Experienced players will often at least run through the graveyard picking up items if not actually go all the way through to Pinwheel. Having that sort of option, even if it is going the "wrong" way, is part of what makes the game what it is.

Ok. More clear tutorial. That's ok. Making the Covenant system more clear and actual saying what they DO online. That is also ok. Making it so that you don't have to go into a specific area, get a specific ring, put on the ring and go to another specific area to find them. This is also ok. Ok new devs, if these are the changes that you said that you are changing to make things more accessible, I'm ok with this.

erttheking:
Ok. More clear tutorial. That's ok. Making the Covenant system more clear and actual saying what they DO online. That is also ok. Making it so that you don't have to go into a specific area, get a specific ring, put on the ring and go to another specific area to find them. This is also ok. Ok new devs, if these are the changes that you said that you are changing to make things more accessible, I'm ok with this.

Im okay with that too. I think it was setup that way deliberately because they knew there would be an internet community who would discuss what they found and keep it a secret so that things were learned over time, organic replay value. But the obscurity of the secrets was a part of miyazakis touch, so i wouldnt want the new guys trying to emulate that. Ill give them the benefit of the doubt and make the new one in their way. Oh, and it was namcos decision to move miyazaki off of the team. It reads if he would have loved to make it but the suits moved him as they felt that they wouldnt get more sales with another miyazaki souls.

Daystar Clarion:

Always.

It's the Souls way.

I don't know. If I had to cut something out of Dark Souls, Blight Town would be high on the list. Right up there with the Tomb of the Giants.

erttheking:

Daystar Clarion:

Always.

It's the Souls way.

I don't know. If I had to cut something out of Dark Souls, Blight Town would be high on the list. Right up there with the Tomb of the Giants.

I dunno Blighttown's awfulness made me actually look forward to going into Sen's/Anor Londo. So the badness makes you appreciate the other less bad places that much more

iwinatlife:

erttheking:

Daystar Clarion:

Always.

It's the Souls way.

I dunno Blighttown's awfulness made me actually look forward to going into Sen's/Anor Londo. So the badness makes you appreciate the other less bad places that much more

I dont really agree there. Blight towns badness was becuase the frame rate on consoles fell to 10 fps or something stupidly, nearly unplayably, low

Although if they do another swamp level they need to expand it outward and make it more then high walkways over a poisonous swamp. I wouldnt say thats bad, just boring

Mr.K.:

They can do whatever they wish. If they want to add an easy mode, let them! I will play on the normal 'Souls mode as I assume they will have the "Normal" Difficulty, "Hard" Difficulty (New Game +), and "Easy" Difficulty (New mode).

Windcaler:

iwinatlife:

erttheking:

I dont really agree there. Blight towns badness was becuase the frame rate on consoles fell to 10 fps or something stupidly, nearly unplayably, low

Although if they do another swamp level they need to expand it outward and make it more then high walkways over a poisonous swamp. I wouldnt say thats bad, just boring

Not to mention if you're stuck out there without enough purple moss, you're fucked three ways from Sunday, as poor Siegmeyer found out the hard way. He's lucky I like him so much or I wouldn't keep pulling his...ok I can't finish that joke. You probably know why.

erttheking:

Windcaler:

iwinatlife:

Not to mention if you're stuck out there without enough purple moss, you're fucked three ways from Sunday, as poor Siegmeyer found out the hard way. He's lucky I like him so much or I wouldn't keep pulling his...ok I can't finish that joke. You probably know why.

I find Blighttown easier to manage, accepting the fact that I'm going to get poisoned. I'm capable enough to keep the skeeters away and kill the chaos bugs before they can lash out at me with fire. I never honestly bothered bringing purple moss with me. Blooming moss, on the other hand. That I keep in hammerspace. Dartfags are a total nuisance until you kill them.

erttheking:

Windcaler:

iwinatlife:

Actually with teh bonfire at the bottom level and easily accessible I never bother curing my poison unless its to go kill Quelag. If Im in blighttown Im usually farming titanite off the leeches, going to the great hallow, or going to kill quelag. In the first case I can do a leech farm and get back to the bonfire before I die, in the secon case theres a bonfire inside just before you start falling, in the third case Im going to kill quelag and its the only time Ill bother with moss.

Capitano Segnaposto:
[quote="Mr.K." post="9.400798.16488608"]They can do whatever they wish. If they want to add an easy mode, let them! I will play on the normal 'Souls mode as I assume they will have the "Normal" Difficulty, "Hard" Difficulty (New Game +), and "Easy" Difficulty (New mode).

DrunkOnEstus specifically requested that any kind of difficulty modes were not touched because of the flame wars that accompany them. Please respect that. If you would like to talk about difficulty modes there are many other threads you can make your comment in

As to the idea of they can do whatever they want. Well you're right. However if they make a game that no longer appeals to the fans that bought and love dark souls theyre going to miss out on a lot of sales. Two recent remakes that drasticly changed mechanics, moods, and aesthetics of their original games were Devil may cry and Xcom: Enemy unknown. I happen to be a fan of both franchises and I did rent both reboots but I did not end up buying them. In the case of DMC I found the combo system to be far to easy especially with the fact that you no longer had to chain attacks together with firearms, the new character of Dante also did not appeal to me. In the case of Xcom their hard choices idealogy goes against one of my favorite things about the original Xcom. Due to its game design I literally could not play the game how I wanted to play it which was exactly how I played the previous game. Its no different for dark souls 2. If I rent the game and feel that dark souls 2 is not what I want out of a dark souls game Im not going to buy it and I think thats true for all the dark souls fans here on the escapist forums

Fans of franchises matter a lot more then people give them credit. If I hadnt bought Dark souls and supported fromsoft we might not be getting dark souls 2. If I hadnt played Xcom so much and speak out on forums on how awesome an xcom remake would be it probably wouldnt have happened. If I hadnt bought the last four devil may cry games theres a really good chance DMC: Devil may cry would have never been made. When you put a franchise name on something you're counting on consumer good will with that franchise to kick in. Consumer good will is a currency and once its gone its increadibly hard to get back. The fact of the matter is, fromsoft can do whatever they want but if they fail to appeal to the current fans of the franchise they will loose sales. Fortunately they seem to understand that

Edge is completely obsessed with Demon's Souls and Dark Souls. That makes me happy.

I'm not afraid of "accessibility". Dark Souls is more user friendly than Demon's Souls and a better game (world tendency, nightmarish crafting system, False King, Flamelurker, Maneater, Maneater, NPCs don't forgive you when your cat accidentally pushes R1 etc).

I just hope they do not make the game completely linear or ruin the replay value. Killing Pinwheel before visiting Undead Burg is quite possible, fun and rewarding. I would even argue that he is the easiest boss in the game, and that's not a coincidence.

I feel sorry if Miyazaki wanted to be more involved, but I have liked most of what I've heard from the new director.
He sounds like he does care about making an atmospheric and tragic setting.

Windcaler:

iwinatlife:

Yeah the frame-rate was migraine inducing. Also, I will never encourage balanced/narrow platforming in a game that clearly wasn't designed for it.

I should re-up my subscription to Edge mag. I imported it from across the pond and really liked it, good writing, solid articles. My only complaints were that they wrote about gaming more as a concept and don't really get into the actual games that much.

Nonomori:
Edge is completely obsessed with Demon's Souls and Dark Souls. That makes me happy.

Its because Dark souls news gets hits, thats why so many news sites post false information about Dark souls. The community is legion and ravenous for news

Windcaler:

Nonomori:

Its because Dark souls news gets hits, thats why so many news sites post false information about Dark souls. The community is legion and ravenous for news

Don't know if serious or...

Whatever. They're very enthusiastic about the franchise since 2009, yeah, that year, when people would not shut up about Uncharted 2. The reviews are fanboy gushing of the best quality.

http://www.edge-online.com/review/review-demons-souls/
http://www.edge-online.com/review/dark-souls-review/

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked