So Antichamber is a mindf*** and a half...

I know that there is the whole saying "thinking with portals" for portal, where you have to think differently to solve each puzzle, but Antichamber is a whole new level of mindfuckery.

Seriously, go play Antichamber. If you have no money just put it on your wishlist and wait for the next sale season to roll around.

From what I've seen, it's a game I can admire for its cleverness and originality and being all counter intuitive and stuff, but not one that I would really enjoy playing.

Also, I find it really ugly.

I'd enjoy it more if it wasn't white nearly all the time. One of few games capable of giving me a headache by looking at it.

I think the metroidvania style of gameplay don't fit with this type of game. The first few minutes are very intriguing, then it just dragged and I lost interest while building a bridge with my first magic gun (not as fun as it sounds). Well, it wasn't enjoyable or rewarding enough for me.

At least it's certainly creative, and when was the last time you could say that about any game? Fans of the genre should take a look.

It seems this is a real love it or hate it game, as the user reviews I've been able to find either praised it or trashed it. Nothing in between really. A lot more people seem to love it though, so that's a good sign. :) I'm just not entirely sure if I want to pay 19 euro's for a fairly simple 4~6 hour game. I mean, I got torchlight 1 and 2 for the same price.

Portal on steroids? SOLD. I love these sorts of games, can't wait to play it. *squeee*

Too much white.....

It looks interesting though.

Spent about 10h on it for 100% completion, and never used a walkthrough (the puzzles are not HARD per se, you just need to think a bit and try around).
Had the time of my life, for sure.

....then I spend the next 2h trying out speedruns and GLITCHING THE HELL OUT OF IT FOR FUN, PROFIT, AND THE LAST UNOBTAINABLE THING YOU CAN ALWAYS SEE SPINNING IN THE DISTANCE IN THE TOWER.

EDIT: also the fucking tower. as a whole.
EDIT2: the developer announced that he plans for some more additions to the game (or something along those lines), which means it's not over yet : D!

We need more abstract type elements in games, good to see someone is up to it. A nice break from all the annoying realism.

On the other hand, I became bored watching the game play video I found very quickly. I can't say the concept is really out there. Can you lose in this game?

Nazulu:
We need more abstract type elements in games, good to see someone is up to it. A nice break from all the annoying realism.

On the other hand, I became bored watching the game play video I found very quickly. I can't say the concept is really out there. Can you lose in this game?

No. Even every fall from a bridge just brings you to...another interesting spot where you can just continue from there.
EDIT: also the trailers are useless, imho. it's less about whatever is shown in them and more about exploration and bending your mind around the puzzles...or rather, find your own faults in the habits you picked up in other games over time.

Rainforce:

Nazulu:

No. Even every fall from a bridge just brings you to...another interesting spot where you can just continue from there.
EDIT: also the trailers are useless, imho. it's less about whatever is shown in them and more about exploration and bending your mind around the puzzles...or rather, find your own faults in the habits you picked up in other games over time.

I appreciate it.

Honestly though, this isn't for me. I need more than solving puzzles and kicking habits.

I'll still support it's existence though. I want the abstract/mysterious stuff to grow and grow. Seriously, there isn't enough games like this, as well as others.

I thoroughly enjoyed it. There was one part that I had to look up (and I felt like a total idiot after I did), but other than that, I was able to solve the stuff on my own. But there's still a lot of stuff I didn't get, so I'd definitely want to play it again.

Personally, I don't think the game is as much of a mind-fuck as it's made out to be (not after the first half-hour or so, anyway), but I still think it's a very original, well-done, and fun game. Well worth the money I paid for it.

I can't get past the third stage:(...

It seems pretty good so far. The messages on the screens are kinda generic "pretentious" indie fluff though.

I've currently played it about an hour, havent been on in a couple of days because of essay writing requirements but looking forward to going back on. It really appeals to me, im enjoying the mindbending

it was a fun game the first time through it, i sank a good 7 hours into it, and basically found everything (i think, its impossible top tell really) i thought the ending was lacklustre as hell.

my one real complaint tho, was how many times i "broke" the game, due to its clever use of portals and shifts it becomes possible to brake through walls you shouldn't and clip through parts of puzzles, which is disapointing

Nonomori:
I think the metroidvania style of gameplay don't fit with this type of game. The first few minutes are very intriguing, then it just dragged and I lost interest while building a bridge with my first magic gun (not as fun as it sounds). Well, it wasn't enjoyable or rewarding enough for me.

I'd agree. It makes it very hard to tell where you should be going and when.

Still an interesting game, tho.

Zhukov:
From what I've seen, it's a game I can admire for its cleverness and originality and being all counter intuitive and stuff, but not one that I would really enjoy playing.

This thought process occurs to me all too often when I see indie games, on Greenlight or elsewhere.

'Huh, that's a cool concept, I don't think I've come across that ever before. It doesn't look to engrossing though.'

I'm not a puzzle guy. I don't need immediate gratification, but I'd rather work towards something as occurs in RPGs than have this all or nothing that you could very well just puzzle over for hours and get nowhere. It's like the flip side to hard-mode games where you could try to beat an enemy for hours and never succeed.

I do like the looks of that new game Retrovirus though, I may get that. I heard from reviews the sound wasn't great; a shame, because it seems like with a good soundtrack it could have been a spiritual successor to REZ.

Antichamber is a great puzzle game. I've never played anything like it. The only downside imho is the pricetag. 20$ is a bit much. I bought it for 15$ and in hindsight I wouldn't pay more than that. I finished it in around 6 hours (solved all the puzzles) and that's it, even though I want more. There is no replay value, unless you are into speedrunning. I wish I could erase my memory and experience it again.

ohnoitsabear:
I thoroughly enjoyed it. There was one part that I had to look up (and I felt like a total idiot after I did), but other than that, I was able to solve the stuff on my own. But there's still a lot of stuff I didn't get, so I'd definitely want to play it again.

Yeah, pretty much what you said about the walkthrough. The point where I got stuck involved the green gun and one of its "hidden" powers. I had actually used it before, but I didn't know that it could be used anywhere at any time and not just in specific boxes.

Nonomori:

At least it's certainly creative, and when was the last time you could say that about any game? Fans of the genre should take a look.

So what if you can build a bridge out of blocks? isnt that the point of the game? finding creative ways to finish it? i even heard that you can complete the game in 15 minutes and less

So basically, its doing the same thing as Portal where you can complete the test in more than one way and even in record time.

Also, i dont understand your argument about why the game doesnt work as a Metroidvania.

OT: I kinda wish there was a 2 dimencional version of Anti Chamber. You know? a 2D side scroller (or 2D metroidvania) with the same lvl of mindfuckery

JellySlimerMan:

Nonomori:

So what if you can build a bridge out of blocks? isnt that the point of the game? finding creative ways to finish it? i even heard that you can complete the game in 15 minutes and less

So basically, its doing the same thing as Portal where you can complete the test in more than one way and even in record time.

Also, i dont understand your argument about why the game doesnt work as a Metroidvania.

OT: I kinda wish there was a 2 dimencional version of Anti Chamber. You know? a 2D side scroller (or 2D metroidvania) with the same lvl of mindfuckery

I'm not complaining about the solution. It was the moment when I started to think... well, that works, but I'm not interested on what is happening on the other side. And then I stopped. I didn't feel rewarded, I just feel tired (talk about a slow process), and that's a horrible sensation for a puzzle game.

The level design, fast travelling system and unlockable guns made the game less interesting for me. The very beginning is strangely charming, simple and intuitive: you're just a point of view, exploring a psychedelic maze and solving strange puzzles. And then, fifteen minutes later, I was basically jumping through the map, collecting messages, searching for things to open other things and getting increasingly bored with the pace of the game. Progression in several directions ended up being more annoying than unusual.

Antichamber is creative, but seemed much less "gamey" until I actually started playing. It would not be a problem if the game was fun, but this is not the case. My most sincere opinion is that Antichamber quickly becomes a boring interaction with crazy ideas that aren't good enough to be engaging as a video game.

ramboondiea:
it was a fun game the first time through it, i sank a good 7 hours into it, and basically found everything (i think, its impossible top tell really) i thought the ending was lacklustre as hell.

my one real complaint tho, was how many times i "broke" the game, due to its clever use of portals and shifts it becomes possible to brake through walls you shouldn't and clip through parts of puzzles, which is disapointing

I'm still missing one exit from the one with the two jump plates and the wall in the middle with the moving block puzzle. I may just have been too tired when I last tried it though. Lord knows going back fresh makes impossible puzzles in this game become suddenly trivial.

WaitWHAT:

Nonomori:

I'd agree. It makes it very hard to tell where you should be going and when.

Still an interesting game, tho.

It's actually pretty easy to tell if the designer expects you to be able to bypass a given puzzle at a given point in the game. The color of the puzzle blocks matches the minimum color gun to solve it as intended. Doesn't mean that's the only way though.

ohnoitsabear:
I thoroughly enjoyed it. There was one part that I had to look up (and I felt like a total idiot after I did), but other than that, I was able to solve the stuff on my own.

Many Different Angles, the path where you get to the far side of the room with the blue cube room? That spot stumped me for a while...

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked