Question for the Region Free Vita Players

I was considering importing some japenese games for my vita since its region free, but i remembered an article i read earlier by the escapist that the psn account would be linked to the memory card thats inside the vita. would i need to get a new memory card for my vita and make a separate account purely for japenese transactions and whatnot on the Japenese PSN store?

You can back up your profile onto your PC/PS3 and restoring your vita to factory settings and putting a new profile onto it to avoid multiple memory cards if you like. Saves the cost of a new memory card, the downside being the extra hoops to jump through.

AndrewF022:
You can back up your profile onto your PC/PS3 and restoring your vita to factory settings and putting a new profile onto it to avoid multiple memory cards if you like. Saves the cost of a new memory card, the downside being the extra hoops to jump through.

Sounds ok. Could you help walk me through that please?

Darmy647:

AndrewF022:

Better off googling a solution, someone will explain it much better than I ever could. Basically you would backup using the content manager app and connecting your vita to your PS3. Then on the Vita hit the restore option under the settings tab.. making sure you log out of your account before you do it. Then go through the set up process again using a new PSN account. Then if you want to switch back you just go into content manager again and hit 'restore'.

However I highly suggest finding a detailed walkthough as I haven't done this in a while and things might have changed with the amount of firmware updates Sony churns out.

EDIT: Apparently after doing a quick search they have changed it to only allow one memory card per account... so you may need two cards anyway...

AndrewF022:

Darmy647:

AndrewF022:

Better off googling a solution, someone will explain it much better than I ever could. Basically you would backup using the content manager app and connecting your vita to your PS3. Then on the Vita hit the restore option under the settings tab.. making sure you log out of your account before you do it. Then go through the set up process again using a new PSN account. Then if you want to switch back you just go into content manager again and hit 'restore'.

However I highly suggest finding a detailed walkthough as I haven't done this in a while and things might have changed with the amount of firmware updates Sony churns out.

EDIT: Apparently after doing a quick search they have changed it to only allow one memory card per account... so you may need two cards anyway...

The whole idea of formatting your card and restoring your Vita is so you can use the same card. You just have to make sure you back up your data to your PC or PS3 before doing so for obvious reasons. You can deactivate the account on your memory card and reactivate it for another account if you so wish.

I still prefer just having two memory cards, one for my JP account and one for my US account because screw EU prices. It's a massive hassle but worth it for the DLC and stuff that come with your games. Just remember that if you buy, say, a physical EU game, the DLC on the US store will not be compatible with it so be careful.

Hey OP, which games are you buying from Japan? I'll be getting Senran Kagura in a few days and God Eater 2 when it's released myself, if you're grabbing that you should add Vanq on the JP PSN and we can play some MP. I also recommend grabbing Project Diva F and iDOLM@STER: Shiny Festa for all your J-Pop rhythm game needs.

Feel free to shoot me any questions, I'm quite well versed in the area of Japanese games that most people have never even heard of.

VanQQisH:

AndrewF022:

Darmy647:

The whole idea of formatting your card and restoring your Vita is so you can use the same card. You just have to make sure you back up your data to your PC or PS3 before doing so for obvious reasons. You can deactivate the account on your memory card and reactivate it for another account if you so wish.

I still prefer just having two memory cards, one for my JP account and one for my US account because screw EU prices. It's a massive hassle but worth it for the DLC and stuff that come with your games. Just remember that if you buy, say, a physical EU game, the DLC on the US store will not be compatible with it so be careful.

Hey OP, which games are you buying from Japan? I'll be getting Senran Kagura in a few days and God Eater 2 when it's released myself, if you're grabbing that you should add Vanq on the JP PSN and we can play some MP. I also recommend grabbing Project Diva F and iDOLM@STER: Shiny Festa for all your J-Pop rhythm game needs.

Feel free to shoot me any questions, I'm quite well versed in the area of Japanese games that most people have never even heard of.

I dont know many good ones. Defidentally picking up the tales games but i knew the DLC required a JP account, and wanted help understanding things before i went and made any kind of decision. However, buying another memory card doesnt sound bad, and using that said memory card as my JP account. If you have personal suggestions though id love to hear them. Im personally interested in Phantasy star Online 2 i saw at play asia.

Darmy647:
snip

Should I assume you've already signed up for a JP PSN account? That can be the trickiest part and I recommend doing it on your PS3, it's the easiest way. As far as games I recommend go, there are two types I would split them between. That would be games that are import friendly and require little to no Japanese to play and games that are not.

Our friends over at /vg/ have put together a very nice infographic for this. Take a good look at it and check out trailers for as many games as take your interest. The Vita has a lot of amazing games that people tend to overlook entirely, especially so since a lot of folk here never touch anything Japanese beyond Persona or Pokemon.

This website in general hardly covers anything about the Vita besides "look at how the Vita is tanking because the 3DS is selling more oh by the way no gaems." Check out Siliconera for up to date news on Vita games, they report news from both Japan and the West there.

The thing about Phantasy Star Online 2 is that it is absolutely not for everyone. If you loved the original PSO, it's everything you loved and better. And more grind but with cooler rewards. Give the PC version a play and see if you like it. Your character can be played on both, however you will be restricted to lobby 19-24 on your server only when on the Vita.

Japanese only games available on the Vita that I have played and highly recommend:
-Project Diva F
-iDOLM@STER: Shiny Festa (PSP)
-Genkai Totsuki Monster Monpiece
-Atelier Totori+
-Fate/Stay Night: Realta Nua
The last three though, definitely require you be able to read and understand Japanese. I would say the same for Tales of Innocence R, if you want to get the full experience. On that note, I highly recommend learning Katakana for your Japanese games. 99.9995276% of menu systems in Japanese are in Katakana which is quite easy to read and figure out since it's just the phonetic version of foreign words, usually English. For example, ロード = roodo = load and セーブ = seebu = save. Not too challenging.

Don't import your games through yes-asia or play-asia if you can help it. Their prices are not competitive and their shipping costs could kill a pelican. I import my games from AmiAmi and CD Japan, both have English sites you can browse to make it a lot easier. Get in early for those preorders because Japanese folks looooove their limited editions.

Last but not least, take a look through the list of PSP games available on the Japanese PSN. It is probably physically impossible to count the amount of Japanese PSP games that never left Japan. The first time I ever walked into a brick and mortar games store in Japan blew my mind, 50% of the store was just dedicated to PSP games. And they are all available on the PSN for Vita.

I could go on forever about the upcoming games that I'm looking forward to but I'll leave it at this for now. Feel free to send me a private message at any time with questions, I'm always happy to help.

Oh and nice Rayman 2 avatar. One of my favorite games of all time that one.

VanQQisH:

Darmy647:
snip

Should I assume you've already signed up for a JP PSN account? That can be the trickiest part and I recommend doing it on your PS3, it's the easiest way. As far as games I recommend go, there are two types I would split them between. That would be games that are import friendly and require little to no Japanese to play and games that are not.

Our friends over at /vg/ have put together a very nice infographic for this. Take a good look at it and check out trailers for as many games as take your interest. The Vita has a lot of amazing games that people tend to overlook entirely, especially so since a lot of folk here never touch anything Japanese beyond Persona or Pokemon.

This website in general hardly covers anything about the Vita besides "look at how the Vita is tanking because the 3DS is selling more oh by the way no gaems." Check out Siliconera for up to date news on Vita games, they report news from both Japan and the West there.

The thing about Phantasy Star Online 2 is that it is absolutely not for everyone. If you loved the original PSO, it's everything you loved and better. And more grind but with cooler rewards. Give the PC version a play and see if you like it. Your character can be played on both, however you will be restricted to lobby 19-24 on your server only when on the Vita.

Japanese only games available on the Vita that I have played and highly recommend:
-Project Diva F
-iDOLM@STER: Shiny Festa (PSP)
-Genkai Totsuki Monster Monpiece
-Atelier Totori+
-Fate/Stay Night: Realta Nua
The last three though, definitely require you be able to read and understand Japanese. I would say the same for Tales of Innocence R, if you want to get the full experience. On that note, I highly recommend learning Katakana for your Japanese games. 99.9995276% of menu systems in Japanese are in Katakana which is quite easy to read and figure out since it's just the phonetic version of foreign words, usually English. For example, ロード = roodo = load and セーブ = seebu = save. Not too challenging.

Don't import your games through yes-asia or play-asia if you can help it. Their prices are not competitive and their shipping costs could kill a pelican. I import my games from AmiAmi and CD Japan, both have English sites you can browse to make it a lot easier. Get in early for those preorders because Japanese folks looooove their limited editions.

Last but not least, take a look through the list of PSP games available on the Japanese PSN. It is probably physically impossible to count the amount of Japanese PSP games that never left Japan. The first time I ever walked into a brick and mortar games store in Japan blew my mind, 50% of the store was just dedicated to PSP games. And they are all available on the PSN for Vita.

I could go on forever about the upcoming games that I'm looking forward to but I'll leave it at this for now. Feel free to send me a private message at any time with questions, I'm always happy to help.

Oh and nice Rayman 2 avatar. One of my favorite games of all time that one.

Holy hell, Very informative and helpful response. Yeah, im not well versed in japenese at all, but ive played all the japenese Tales releases. I had NO idea what the hell was going on story wise, but by just paying attention i had a general idea forming of my own. That and i went and found fan english translation guides to help explain the story to me. When i played my japenese tales games i just had to trial and error learn what words meant potion and sword and blah blah blah. Very gruesome learning curve, but worth it for the game.

As for the Japenese account creation, no clue at all. I think i did that about a year ago for Monster Hunter 3rd Portable for Japenese ad-hoc, but never remembered how to do it afterwards. If you could maybe Private Message me a "For idiots" Simplified guide that'd be awesome. Explain it like im a 2 year old.

As for Phantasy star online 2, i LOOOOOVED the original. Used to play that shit on my dreamcast back then. As for the PC version, i thought that was regionlocked/IP-Blocked Like monster hunter Frontier? Thats the only reason i was looking into the vita release.

Not to mention...How do i spends moneys on the japenese store? o.o

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked