Next Gen, is anyone really done with their current consoles?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Err yes, I am completely done with current gen. In fact I was sick of current gen at least 2 years ago. Absolutely cannot wait for next-gen consoles.

BUT - wait for it - not because I want to BUY or PLAY on next-gen consoles. God no. The hardware will be junk compared to PC's even from 2-3 years ago, there is bound to be some level of bullshit that MS/Sony tacks on (no used games, always online, no backwards compatibility?)...plus the inability to use anything other than the provided proprietary controller(s) is the nail in the coffin for consoles as far as I'm concerned.

No, the reason I'm looking forward to next-gen is because we'll finally see some decent console-to-PC ports! Next-gen consoles look like they will be using hardware/software platforms a lot closer to PC than ever before, so we'll be seeing drastically better-looking games with more complex AI and all the goodies that aren't possible on console hardware (hint: input methods).
So yeah, the sooner this generation is over the better.

Don't worry console fans, your 7-year-old toasters aren't going anywhere. When next gen comes out your PS3/360 won't magically vanish. My cousin has a perfectly functional PS2 lying around + a nice collection of classic games, did anything happen to those when PS3 came around? Of course not, they'll be around forever!

PC gaming master race checking in here, and yes, I'm ready for new consoles. Reduced costs for production in a number of factors thanks to not having to optimise as hard, more leway with processor power and RAM amounts to do some actually interesting things with games and keep them looking good, and PC ports not being quite as crappy as they are now.

At the same time, however, I haven't moved on from the PS2 as far as consoles go. Nothing on 360/PS3 interested me, and the N64/PS2 have enough fun and more original games that I can't find similies of on my PC easily that I'm fine sticking with them, and building up my PC. Maybe if consoles actually do something interesting I'd be interested in them, but if they just keep being ultra-budget PCs... yeah, not seeing the point.

Well, the release of the Wii U couldn't have come at a better time for me; from the sound the disk drive on my Wii was making, I think it's on its way out.

As for PS4? Well, if I can play my PS3 games on it, and there's a new LittleBigPlanet, InFAMOUS or Batman: Arkham game, then I'll bite. Otherwise, not that interested.

I'm still happy with my 360 and I still have a backlog to get through. If the rumours about the new gen turn out to be true (no used games, always online etc) then I'll probably make the switch to PC eventually. If I've gotta put up with that bullshit I may as well take the stronger machine.

My unplayed games queue for this gen is good for more than a year, possibly close to two. So no, I still have tons of games to play on my current setup.

Seeing as I get to play 5 games a year, tops, I wouldn't say I am done with my PS3 yet.
If my current gaming habits are anything to go by, I will never be "done" with it, since purchasing a new console really wouldn't be justified at the moment or ever.
If anything I would buy a new guitar, not a new console.

I'm still playing my PS2 regularly.

I'm a PC gamer, so I can't say I care all that much about it. I can't tell either if a new generation of consoles means less interest in the PC from developers or, on the contrary, better quality in cross-platform games. We shall see when we shall see.

Console gamer here and I'm still quite content with my 360 and soon Wii U and probably won't touch the PS4 or 720 until much later on down the line when their libraries expand more.

that and my PC has taken around a year to build so yeah fuck that side of gaming for a while.

I think the people clamoring for a new generation are also the type of people who will bitch at the initial price points for the PS4 and NextBox and also whine about lack of games for them at launch. The general public just doesn't give a shit. And the kind of developers who are whining for it will be the first to go belly up once production costs rise (AGAIN) due to their irresponsible behavior. The fact of the matter is that all this tech is WASTED on current developers who don't really do anything with it aside from just making textures prettier. I'm in no rush for the new gen and I really don't see WHY we need a new one other than because developers are sweating bullets over being exposed as people who used the current gens to make stuff prettier, not better.

I think I'm good for now, consoles can wait a while. I'm still looking for certain games and I don't have money for a new set of consoles...

Still...A part of me remembers the excitement of my first day on the Xbox360...Playing those few games I had to death because there were litterally no other games out that I wanted. Same or similar story with my PS3 and Wii...

Then I remember how much the games cost and I stop caring.

Its time for a serious hardware upgrade. Regardless of how 'ready' we feel for a new console, the six year old tech we're running is putting a serious handicap on the industry.
Seriously, we have two major consoles running less than a gig of ram; We've had the longest running console cycle, and they were using outdated tech since the start, time for an upgrade.

I sure as fuck AM!

hence why I got myself a sexy gaming PC

Aiddon:
I think the people clamoring for a new generation are also the type of people who will bitch at the initial price points for the PS4 and NextBox and also whine about lack of games for them at launch.

aaaaand you know this HOW?

I am a PC gamer, I had my consoles just for exclusives, so I am well and truly done with mine.

I'm still playing PS2 games and have a massive backlog to get through. Only reason I even have a Wii is because my mother gave it to me for Christmas a few years back and I still barely use it (and when I do I'm usually playing old Virtual Console games or Gamecube games). So yeah, next generation can kiss my ass.

JasonKaotic:
snip.

has everyone just gotten to used to their 7 year old technology?

shit marches on....your gonna have to upgrade at some point, its painful but its just the way things are

current gen graphics are looking more dated than ever (depending ALOT on the kind of game though), and its just graphics eather, AI...conquoring the uncanney valley

RJ 17:
Really I'd be fine if the current gen was the last gen. I mean how much better can the aesthetic appearance of a game get at this point?

oh trust me

way

waaaaay

WAAAAAAAAAAAAY better

take a look at any console game that takes place outside in a "realistic" setting and try and tell me that shit doesnt look outdated

I'm not done with my PS3 or 360, but that doesn't mean that I won't buy a PS4 and Durango.

I mean, I still play my PS2 every once in a while because soul calibur 3 and my guncon games.

Though I will probably wait a year for a sizable catalog of games to come out and the prices to get lower.

Depends on what games end up on the new systems. Enough games I'm interested in, then I'll buy. If not, then 'no'. Simples.

Anyway, no-one is forced to buy a new console straight away. Most here were content with their PS2 for a long while after the PS3 came out. Nothing thus far indicates it'll be any different this time round. So people like the OP don't need to get their knickers in a twist.

Yeah, I'm definitely not ready for the next generation of consoles yet. It'll probably be a few years before I get a new one. If it turns out well, I think I'll get the Steam Box when I'm ready for the next gen.

My backlog of games has a LOT of titles on the PS1, PS2 and Nintendo 64. I have dozens of games in my collection that I have yet to start, and many more that I want to order. If I have any issues with next gen that makes me decide to boycott, I won't have any issues sticking to it. I actually haven't bought any new releases in over a year. Saint's Row: The Third is the youngest game I own.

Dark Souls 2 isn't out yet, so no I'm not done.

Last game I played on my 360 was Skyrim...when it came out. Played it for a few months and my 360 has been collecting dust ever since. I've been playing on PC more and the consoles are so far behind it's just absurd.

I'm still playing my PS3 and 360. I have a friend at work who is completely sick of this gen though. He says that he feels 'dirty' just if he touches the systems. The thing that really bothers me though is that he would not shut up about how superior the PS3 was to EVERYTHING when it first came now. Now he wants nothing to do with it and claims that he's always hated it. Drives me nuts.
I see a lot of his thoughts/reasoning in this thread though--about wanting a new console, I mean. PC is better, so consoles need to catch up. I really don't care and I get the feeling that, unless there are some serious launch titles, I won't be upgrading my consoles for for a few years.

Vault101:

RJ 17:
Really I'd be fine if the current gen was the last gen. I mean how much better can the aesthetic appearance of a game get at this point?

oh trust me

way

waaaaay

WAAAAAAAAAAAAY better

take a look at any console game that takes place outside in a "realistic" setting and try and tell me that shit doesnt look outdated

Eh, I've seen some pretty good stuff on this gen when developers put the effort into it. Really I'd just as soon keep what I've got rather than worry about all the rumors about the next gen coming true.

Daystar Clarion:
I've been playing on PC a lot lately and it's made me realise just how dated the current gen of consoles is.

PC's of the same generation(year) will always make console's look pityfull(after all high price diffirence isn't coming from thin air), but weren't we talking about consoles?

Of course I want the next gen to get here. The increase in power, the new possibilities for games, the higher standard across the board including for PC games that have been stunting themselves to stay in multiplatform condition. Games of breadth and depth that would put to shame a Just Cause 2 sized Shadow of the Colossus mega-boss focused game with an Alex Mercer player character. Or a Sword of the Stars 2 concept attempted by a competent studio. If you aren't drooling over the kinds of games we can have with a generational leap in power, you must lack the imagination to picture them.

Besides, it's not like you have to leave the current gen if you don't want to. This generation has been the longest and most productive one ever, and I can guarantee any given person hasn't played all the games worth playing in it, especially if you're the kind of person who doesn't want to move on. You have more than enough games to go back and catch up on while you warm up to the future.

Arklyte:

Daystar Clarion:
I've been playing on PC a lot lately and it's made me realise just how dated the current gen of consoles is.

PC's of the same generation(year) will always make console's look pityfull(after all high price diffirence isn't coming from thin air), but weren't we talking about consoles?

That's my point.

Console can't even push 1080p, and most games aren't even a above 30FPS.

I used to think none of that mattered, but after going from playing Skyrim on the 360 to playing it on a high end PC, the jump in quality is insane.

That's not to say I expect PC quality on next gen consoles, but at this point, the hardware is really outdated.

Less than 1GB of RAM is something that really hinders what games can do.

Not even close.
I come from the generation of consoles coming out far enough between each other that you could wear one out before the next new one came out.

I'll play my PS3 untill it dies and I'm actually somewhat rooting for a verdict of anti used games with the PS4 since it will save my wallet a lot of money over the next several years.

Question for all you PC guys. Do you guys have huge-ass monitors, do you hook your PCs up to your TVs somehow, or does the idea of playing a game on a big screen TV simply not interest you?

Until this generation, I was always a PC-exclusive gamer. Since PS3 came out, I've moved squarely into consoles for gaming. Now, the thought of downsizing to something that would fit on my desk terrifies me.

Aaron Sylvester:
Err yes, I am completely done with current gen. In fact I was sick of current gen at least 2 years ago. Absolutely cannot wait for next-gen consoles.

BUT - wait for it - not because I want to BUY or PLAY on next-gen consoles. God no. The hardware will be junk compared to PC's even from 2-3 years ago, there is bound to be some level of bullshit that MS/Sony tacks on (no used games, always online, no backwards compatibility?)...plus the inability to use anything other than the provided proprietary controller(s) is the nail in the coffin for consoles as far as I'm concerned.

No, the reason I'm looking forward to next-gen is because we'll finally see some decent console-to-PC ports! Next-gen consoles look like they will be using hardware/software platforms a lot closer to PC than ever before, so we'll be seeing drastically better-looking games with more complex AI and all the goodies that aren't possible on console hardware (hint: input methods).
So yeah, the sooner this generation is over the better.

Don't worry console fans, your 7-year-old toasters aren't going anywhere. When next gen comes out your PS3/360 won't magically vanish. My cousin has a perfectly functional PS2 lying around + a nice collection of classic games, did anything happen to those when PS3 came around? Of course not, they'll be around forever!

THANK YOU! Finally that someone put in words what I wanted to say. I've been trying to get this point along for a very long time. The ports to PC from consoles being so bad due to the 8year old hardware was really annoying and gimping the power of my computer.

At least now with the new generation around the corner, the ports won't be dwindled by many restrictions(I hope), especially since having a controller on the PC for certain thing is a commonality now.

pure.Wasted:
Question for all you PC guys. Do you guys have huge-ass monitors, do you hook your PCs up to your TVs somehow, or does the idea of playing a game on a big screen TV simply not interest you?

Until this generation, I was always a PC-exclusive gamer. Since PS3 came out, I've moved squarely into consoles for gaming. Now, the thought of downsizing to something that would fit on my desk terrifies me.

Although I have a 60" TV which I can't use because I am not living alone, I can't really hook up my PC to that.

Unfortunately since my 3yo PC, although powerful, can still manage high/ultra graphics due to the fact that I didn't buy a new monitor in a very long time (6years+). I play most of my games on a Samsung 19" SyncMaster 940N on 1200/1024 resolution. Because of this "low resolution" in our day and age where the common thing is already at least 1600 res, I can still run all high fidelity PC games that come out on maxed settings.

My specs are: 8GB Ram,i5 2500k and a GTX560Ti.

pure.Wasted:

How do you feel about watching movies in theaters vs watching it on your TV? Are you terrified by the thought of watching the movie on a smaller screen? Of course not, because screen size is largely irrelevant - it's all about how far you're sitting from the screen and pixel density.

The majority of PC gamers play on 21-24 inch monitors at a resolution of 1920x1080, sitting anywhere from 1-3 feet away. That's just a fact.
So for most purposes playing on a big TV is impractical because you need a flat solid surface to work the mouse + keyboard (i.e. a desk/table) and you need to sit at least 1-3 meters away- too big a distance for most desks/tables. Monitors also have drastically higher pixel density so it's easier to read really small text and details....e.g. try reading font 8 text on a TV, or playing an RTS/MMORPG, or browsing news articles on the net. TV's just weren't built for that kind of precision in mind. Monitors also have minimal input lag. In the majority of PC build forums no sane PC gamer will genuinely recommend playing on a TV outside very special cases.

pure.Wasted:

I have a bigass monitor (because why not?) its almost as big as the TV I was using before for my ps3

one of the major things I have against consoles is I dont actually like playing on a TV I like to sit in a desk and have it all in front of me up close...to me thats better than even the biggest TV

I dont see how a TV is "bigger" since your closer to he screen on PC and its cheaper....if you want to play on a TV why not just hook up your PC? best of both worlds

DarkhoIlow:
[snip.

so its not the actual monitor....jsut the fact yoru running the games in a lower resolution (since yoru monitor doesnt suport anything higher?) I think you need a graphics card upgrade

[quote="Vault101" snip[/quote]

Nah, that's not what I wanted to point out. The fact that my max resolution is 1200/1024 and my the specs that I've written in my previous post means that I played all the games that have high requirements on maximum settings because of that "gimped resolution setting". I cannot afford a new monitor, but I'd rather keep playing like this than try to save up for a bigger monitor and needing an hardware upgrade because once you go higher resolution, the games require more powerful hardware than what I have to handle the increased resolution.

Also my GTX560Ti is working quite swimmingly thank you very much. I reckon I won't have any more problems in this year and next year's games (Witcher 3 specifically).

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here