Next Gen, is anyone really done with their current consoles?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

G3:
I don't think we need an upgrade in console power.

What we need is to keep pushing game innovation. It's not the quality of the graphics that will sell, but the decisions in the actual gameplay and the creativity in open-worlds and the stories and characters and puzzles and environmental experiments.

Look at PC computers. They do everything we need and more. Who really needs more RAM or memory? Barely anyone. They peaked. Our consoles rock, what will sell big is the next mashup of RPG and Action or MMO and "whatever". Push those limits first. If all we get out of a new console is another sequel and another sequel where the gameplay is virtually identical to the original (yeah, Halo, you listening?) what's the point? I'll go surfing instead.

Although I admire the sentiment, you're conflating two very separate ideas when you extrapolate from yourself to the masses. Quality of graphics will absolutely sell. Look no further than the Call of Duty franchise. You think they're raking in the big bucks thanks to... "decisions in the actual gameplay"?

pure.Wasted:
Out of curiosity, which (unreleased?) games have the most technically impressive visuals out there? The Watch Dogs gameplay trailer reeeally impressed me. Is there anything on the PC horizon that's truly spectacular?

Star Citizen. It's barely in alpha, but the models they use for the game are far above the current standard.

The player character model, for instance, has 100,000 polygons as opposed to the 10,000 models usually have (especially if they're being developed with consoles in mind), and it shows. I'm really curious to see how the game turns out at least visually, seeing how insanely ambitious the actual game part of it is (seriously, the more I read about that the more unbelievable it gets) and how likely it is for that to get fucked.

There's also Rome 2: Total War.

As a reference point, I think I heard that they're using something like 4000-5000 polygons for each of the individual soldiers, and when you take into account just how many soldiers can be on screen at the same time that's just absolutely massive.

Edit: I guess I could mention something like Crysis 3, given that Crytek basically uses it as a way to show off their engine's capabilities in terms of new technologies like tesselation, but it really has nothing apart from that.

Oh man I just realized my entire PS3 backlog consists of PS2 HD-rereleases.
I'm not even done with last gen!

This is strange to me - this has been the longest generation in console history (even if you count the Wii U as next-gen), yet at the end of this generation, the majority opinion is still that everything is okay and we don't need new consoles.

I'm kind of looking at the current generation like a dead guy being propped up and walked around Weekend at Bernie's style.

I'm mainly a PC gamer, so the upgrades are not that big of a deal. I have a 360 I never play. I wouldn't mind the release so I could buy a PS3 at a cheaper price. I really want to play Ni No Kuni, but I am not paying over $200 for a system, plus $60 for the game, just to play that one game.

I'm not. I play my PS3 quite a bit and there are still games that I'm getting for it. For example I'm buying Sly 4 and Playstation All Stars Battle Royale sometime this month. Plus I've got Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 ReMix coming in the mail in March.

Heck I still play my PS2 religiously because it's such a great console. It would be nice to see what the new generation has in store for us, but so far the only one that seems to be winning my love back is the Wii U. Nintendo has been pulling at my hearts strings lately and they'll be doing the same for my wallet soon enough.

I scrolled through the thread looking for the 'generic pc gamer comment', i'm glad I wasn't dissapointed.

Things do have to change at some point I suppose, life isn't static after all. I don't really want to buy a new console, however, we are in a recession after all. Maybe I'll just stop playing games when the time comes, who knows.

pure.Wasted:
Although I admire the sentiment, you're conflating two very separate ideas when you extrapolate from yourself to the masses. Quality of graphics will absolutely sell. Look no further than the Call of Duty franchise. You think they're raking in the big bucks thanks to... "decisions in the actual gameplay"?

COD's an interesting example. My opinion is it is the online multiplayer experience/tactics/decisions that sell the title, not the quality of graphics.

Of course the graphics are great, so we get both.

But there are a few other combat shooters out there with similar quality, but just aren't as fun to play with friends. And of course Activision is going to continue to shove iteration after iteration of that thing down our throats until they get every last dime they can get. They already feel the same again, like the WW2 versions began to. I thought it had died once about 6 years ago but was dead wrong.

Daystar Clarion:

Arklyte:

Daystar Clarion:
I've been playing on PC a lot lately and it's made me realise just how dated the current gen of consoles is.

PC's of the same generation(year) will always make console's look pityfull(after all high price diffirence isn't coming from thin air), but weren't we talking about consoles?

That's my point.
Console can't even push 1080p, and most games aren't even a above 30FPS.
I used to think none of that mattered, but after going from playing Skyrim on the 360 to playing it on a high end PC, the jump in quality is insane.
That's not to say I expect PC quality on next gen consoles, but at this point, the hardware is really outdated.
Less than 1GB of RAM is something that really hinders what games can do.

I know. It's quite funny to watch how console creators speak about the end of PC gaming while their own creations can't compete with midlevel PC's in terms of hardware and continue their existence only because of their lower price, "exclusives"(which are rarely worth their money) and someone's inabillity(or lack of need) to create a virtual system for consoles to run their games on PC. Not to mention their almost complete "useless... ness" beyound gaming. But isn't that what marketing is all about? People might not like it, but they will buy it anyway if you'll play your role right.

I am.

I've kept my ps3 handy for the last few games that might be of interest that I can't get on pc, and because it's a decent blu-ray player. 720p and long-ass loading times don't impress me.

I think it's time for new hardware.

You are not going to get many people saying that they are done with the current console generation when the next one is not out yet and games are still being released. I will be done with the current consoles when the next ones start coming out and a few good games are on them.

pure.Wasted:

The graphics are not what makes Call of duty sell so much.

Little Gray:
The graphics are not what makes Call of duty sell so much.

Activision says "Hey guys we know you love our competitive gameplay, so for the next COD title we're going to make some improvements on that front that while scaling the graphics back to something like COD1."

Bioware says "Hey guys we know you love our great stories and characters, so for the next ME title we're going to make some improvements on that front while scaling the graphics back to something like KOTOR."

You think they sell the same number of copies? I think hypothetical COD tanks completely and utterly, while hypothetical ME becomes a cult classic at the VERY least.

Next-gen release titles are usually not much more advanced than the generation before that and besides i ain't getting anything til' i see what both sides have to offer.

southparkdudz:
Because I'm not. I still want to play my PS3 and 360, I don't want to invest in new consoles that are rumored to come out this fall the same time games liek GTA5 and the others are comign out for the PS3 and 360.

I haven't heard anything about the new consoles that didn't piss me off, personally. Always-on DRM and mandatory Kinect from Microsoft, PS3 game streaming from Sony rather than backwards compatibility (it's all the fun of always-on DRM, plus your games aren't even really yours anymore!). So far, I'm way more pumped for the Ouya than the next Xbox or the PS4. I may finally be driven to PC gaming, at this rate.

Should the Last Guardian, FF vs XIII, KH3 or something like that come along and be a launch title I will buy the fuck out of a ps4. Also, I think the ps4 is very likely to come out this year. If it's announced on the 20th, then that means they are primed to launch early november right in time for black friday.

Double post. grrr

Well, it's less than a month since I got my PS3, so no, I'm not done with it, lol. I'm a PC gamer primarily, but I've got a huge list of games I'd like to play on PS3, so I'm not done with it.
Oh, and that list includes PS2 games.
And PS1 games too.

I'm done with consoles, to be honest. My Xbox 360 will be the last piece of shit gaming device I'll ever buy. I'm tired of exclusivity deals, I'm tired of subpar performances, I'm tired of reliability issues, and...I'm just tired of everything about the industry anymore.

Dude, I'm not even done with my PS2 yet!

Johnny Novgorod:
Dude, I'm not even done with my PS2 yet!

Whoa, you made the jump from the PS1?!? That's a big step! You sure you're ready for it?

;)

All I have to say is give me one more year with my current consoles and let the games that were delayed till this fall to come out then start showing the new consoles.

I am not done with this gen yet. A lot of games are becoming more about showing off set pieces rather than actual immersive games, so I don't want to see what the next gen will look like. Besides, they don't need to look better than they do now.
As for the pc trolls here I would like to say that some people actually have jobs and don't need twelve hours a day dedicated to games, so the current gen is more than enough for me.

Brotha Desmond:
I am not done with this gen yet. A lot of games are becoming more about showing off set pieces rather than actual immersive games, so I don't want to see what the next gen will look like. Besides, they don't need to look better than they do now.

but they need better AI and such...imprvments in visuals and the amoutn of stuff we an cram into gameworlds can create even better expereinces...also getting rid of the uncanny valley that said though next gen I'm not sure its going to be a giant leap graphically, though TBH they should focus more on making things "pretty" rather than "realistic"

As for the pc trolls here I would like to say that some people actually have jobs and don't need twelve hours a day dedicated to games, so the current gen is more than enough for me.

wha.....what?

please explain?

Well, I'm ready for whatever regarding console generations. I have a PC, and I'm not at all invested in any console, so... bring it on?

(Oh, and I express similar sentiments to Vault101 above. Explain, Brotha Desmond.)

Brotha Desmond:

PC troll here, I work 60 hours a week, I come home and play on my PC before I go to bed and repeat my said job for 6 days straight. I have had "Next-gen" for the last 2 years and it has been nice for the small amount of time I get to play. Far better range in game genres thanks to PC allowing Indie Devs to shine. It also allows me to avoid the bloat that is now crashed and burning.

Brotha Desmond:
I think this AI needs improvements. So many spelling mistakes. I don't care if it was on purpose or not; ironically stupid is still stupid.

harr fucking harr, I have typos, I type fast..I think also your calling me stupid which seriosuly aint doing you any favors right now

again, its more than just graphics, and its honestly painful to watch this out dated hardware getting squeezed for all it has

Every pc gamer on this thread was trying so desperately to defend their stance on gaming platform.

*sigh* no, were just kind of saying that consoles due to their very nature (and pecially the current ones who have been going on forever) are in many ways holding things back, we just want to move on

They spend more time and money building their computers and modding games than is absolutely necessary.

....wha? says who?..you? and what the fuck does that even mean? if you build a computer it takes some time...you cant half build it

do you even know what mods are and why people use them? I dont understand what your saying here bro

Downsides to pc gaming includes, but not excluded to;

wha?...were we talking about pc/vs console? because I dont think we were ,are you trying to have that argument with me?

Having content not released for pc, pc is irrelevant to console industry, sometimes not having games being released on the pc.

yeah that definetly sucks somtimes...but over this entire gen theres like one non-console exclusive game I was pissed that I didnt get (red dead redemption) as far as exclusives go there Infamosu which was amazing..other than that really not much worth getting..now granted thats subject to change but your looking at ALOT of games vs a few in the grand scheme of things

Each has it's pros and cons; but since pc gamers don't play consoles you are not the ones being asked the question.

I have a PS3 and quite a few others so have consoles for various reasons, though personally I think thats kind fo overkill

So when you come in bragging about your $2000+ gaming rig

no gaming rig needs to cost that much..about half is fine

which is more than I spent on total gaming gear in the past 18 months,

we have to buy a new gaming rig each year...oh no we don't . Anyway thats not including the console though, now lets say I already have the computer I'm actually spending less than you but HEY! just details

yes I'll call you a troll with too much free time.

which is pretty stupid isnt it? beause that itsnt based on any kind of reality but more this bizare idea of youve came up with in your head and thrown out as an insult in the same leuge as "ERMAGERD UR A LOSER AND LIVE IN UR MOMS BASEMENT LOLOLOLO"

real clever bro

I'm actually pretty gutted that the next gen is coming along already. I say 'already' because I've only just joined this generation - recently got a PS3 after 5 years with a Wii. Half a decade with Nintendo has made the last couple of months with my PS3 seem like a trip into the future. PS4 might be too much of a culture shock; I'm still reeling from the fact that my console can charge my controllers.

Honestly though, I'm more concerned about the growing backlog of classics collecting on my shelf. One more year before the next gen would be great, but I think publishers need to be (or at least give the impression of being) cutting edge, and this year's technology released next year would only further separate the PC games markets from the consoles.

I am Probably going to do with this generation what i did with the last, which is wait until a game that i actually want comes out before i purchase it

I plan on keeping my xbox 360 until they stop making games for it.Then ill be jumping ship and have a PC built, but not sure about how many games for it need that whole..online..YA u own this game now you can play it offline, thing. Kinda shot myself in the foot with Warhammer 40k: dawn of war 2 havnt touched it sense i got it Because the PC i do have isnt a gaming one,completed the game in an aweful nightmare of lag.Anyway short and sweet, not enough money to spend on the new consoles and even if they excreted gold lumps of godly new quality gaming experiences.Wouldn't get them the way Dlc and half finished full priced games that are coming out now. Oh and this is my 1st post..go me!

While I'm aware that the hardware does need to progress, I'm not ready for the current generation to be abandoned either. Admittedly my primary reason is because I don't want to buy a new console and it seems to look less appealing with every press release.

Once I have the money, I'm going to build myself a lovely high end gaming computer (with the help of some more tech-savvy friends)and I doubt I'll look back. I will probably inevitably end up buying a console again however if there are enough exclusives that I want.

Got a good few games that are still PS3 exclusive that I'l be wanting to play. Most anything else I can get on PC so no, I won't be getting the new stuff any time soon.

Posted here a page or three ago but just wanted to add another tid-bit which I don't remember mentioning before; Basically I'm not finished collecting and gaming with titles from the third generation of gaming and on (3rd generation being NES)...though admittedly I think I'm more focused on the 4th generation because I grew up with the Super Nintendo: NES was a bit before my time though I still try playing through NES games, failing most but still beating the two Zelda games.

My PS3 is more or less used as a Netflix machine these days.
Looking forward to The Last of Us though.

Honestly I find it difficult to play games on the PS3 these days with the nauseating FOV, incredibly low FPS and the sheer amount of screen tearing and the non existent AA.
PC gaming has ruined me, despite owning a somewhat modest system.

I'm looking forward to see what the new generation of consoles will have in store, I won't be getting any at launch, but once the exclusive titles start to build up I'll throw money down on one.

I see this way:
I'll be waiting about a year AFTER the release of the PS4/Xbox^3 to get one, if I do.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked