Favorite video game character and why?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Gotta be Yosuke from Persona 4, just because I feel I can relate to almost everything about him. Apart from all the fighting evil shadows and helping to save the world and all that.
He is who I wish I was in school.

Also Relius Clover from BlazBlue because he's one of the only villains I've ever properly liked. I don't remember the story of BlazBlue that well, but I don't remember him doing many villainous things. He's more just a scientist that's a bit of an asshole, but he's such a classy asshole that he gets away with it.

Plus he's easier to play as than Carl and is thus better than Carl.

I have quite a few favourite characters but my perennial favourite has to be Albert Wesker. He is so unashamedly evil and very much like a pantomime villain, which I love, he is also quite the badass, as this video very aptly manages to demonstrate:

The music fits as well.

Well off the top of my head,

Garrus Vakarian

He's pretty much a character that has never made me think "Dear lord that was stupid" Or "SHUT UP YOUR ANNOYING". He's hysterical, pretty badass in general and the most useful character in combat. All in all, Garrus is probably my favorite character out there.

Other nominations:

Most like me

Benjamin Carmine:

If I had to pick a character who had me down to the letter, it'd be this guy. Seriously. He is exactly what I'd end up doing in a real war, be nervous at first, then eventually get the hang of it, and then die in some horrifying manner.
All in all, he is also quite enjoyable as a character, and Highly underrated.

saintdane05:
Hey, look, my childhood!
All of these characters are my favorite.
All of them.

even the red head that kissed sonic is in there so is she your favorite?

Kreia from KotOR II. Most interesting philosophy and motivations of any character in my experience.

SirBryghtside:
Veronica Santangelo from Fallout: New Vegas is probably my favourite

I love Veronica, too. What a great character. She's smart and funny, but thoughtful and sincere at the same time. She's a lesbian, too, but her character is not about being gay. Veronica is a fully realized character who just happens to be gay. Sure, she mentions it if you dig deep enough into her dialogue and she even makes a quip about it or two. It did play an important part in her alienation from the BOS, but it's ultimately only a facet of her character. It doesn't define her.

This really shows the strength of Obsidian's writing, especially when contrasted against shitty BioWare writing in the form of ME3's resident homo, Cortez. Cortez never actually feels like a real character. He's just a poorly realized vessel for a political message by means of gay romance subplot. His whole character is essentially "the gay guy" and that's the only reason he's in the game. He has no other purpose. That's why I find this character so fucking offensive. Veronica is how you do it right.

I really like Cortez from Timesplitters FP, he had a funny personality

Karoshi:

Originally i was one of those people who dismissed her, but then i went for her romance sub plot and i warmed up to her rather quickly and then really liked her during the actual romance scene. god i hated how little she was in ME3, i mean they really should have given her a bigger role if you romanced her. the quest at Ascension academy was really cool but after that its just 2 very short conversations

OT

Either

Ioverth (The Witcher 2), while at first he comes across as a terroist (and i can see why some people still think that) as the game progresses you found out so much more to him and what he wants to acomplish.

Or

bug_of_war:
Connor from Assassins Creed 3. We start off with him as a young child full of life and we see how quickly it all gets destroyed. He is currently my favourite character due to his progression throughout the game. He is the most human of all the Assassin protagonists throughout the whole series.

yeah its just too bad that we spend half the game playing as crappy haytham. i wish connor was the focus of the game for more than half, as the other half is a bland boring tutorial.

Heather Mason from Silent Hill 3 mainly because she was the first character I've played where I was the same age and gender as the protagonist. That and she's acting how a normal person would act.

Ran into a bunch of weird monsters and some really weird shit? Fuck this, I'm going home!

Oh wait...

Also, I really like Ezio Auditore from Assassin's Creed II to Revelations. I really felt bad for the guy since he was just a rich kid that was living life and was forced into a way of living he had no clue exited only to become the Mentor. His path to that title was both sad and enjoyable to witness.

Luke from Tales of Abyss: I feel in love with him through the growth he experiences during the game and in the first few action sequences where he basically needs to come to terms with killing people and having to make that choice surrounded by people that are all ready resolved to murder if they have to.

southparkdudz:

saintdane05:
Hey, look, my childhood!
All of these characters are my favorite.
All of them.

even the red head that kissed sonic is in there so is she your favorite?

It's strange. I hate that moment, but I don't hat Eliese. Even if she gets kidnapped every ten minutes.

bullet_sandw1ch:
yeah its just too bad that we spend half the game playing as crappy haytham. i wish connor was the focus of the game for more than half, as the other half is a bland boring tutorial.

Yeah, it's why I'm conflicted in the knowledge that there will be no more games based on Connor's life. On one hand I'm glad seeing as how by Revelations I was getting bored with Ezio, but at the same time Connor technically didn't get a full game of his own and totally has at least 1 more game in him.

Frank West from Dead Rising is a good one.

Not only is he a selfish, egotistical and abrasive asshole, but he's also gotten rather hefty and has become washed out. He seems rather real as a character, surprising for a Capcom game, and I also find him hilarious and has a great fashion sense.

Let's see...

All the characters from Chrono Trigger, especially Crono though. Never met a silent protagonist with so much personality. Love that guy.

Also Kite from .hack, he made those games for me personally.

And Prishe from FFXI, Lilisette is cool too.

Why must I choose...?

Got a few, in no particular order:

.The boss - saints row 2: Specifically in SR2, every single line he/she said was either badass or funny. The fights with the bosses were just inspiring though. When you get beat in the sword fight on the boat, and brought to your knees. "I'm gonna cheat." and shoot him in the stomach. You weren't as crazy in that game as 3 and that brought something to the game that I don't see often...an over-the-top badass that still seems believable.

.Max Payne - max payne 3 specifically. They kept the noir tone and story telling, but with a much more liberal interpretation of the genre. He was one of the most believable characters I have seen in games. He had a misanthropic viewpoint of humanity, and spent every minute he could drunk and on pills. He really did feel washed up, losing his edge in investigation, but not because he wasn't good at it anymore. He didn't want to be good at it, he intentionally didn't think about what was happening around him. He wanted to believe it was simple, some people trying to kidnap a rich girl at a club, a rich guy putting a hit on his wife. He gave countless clues to show how he still noticed what was going on around him, but tried to ignore it. "I was on a ghost ship in a ghost canal. The whole thing creeped me the hell out." But despite all of that, he always tried to help people when he could. He didn't have to charge the sniper post and zipline across to save the hostages, he did it because he thought they *might* have been alive. And despite the numerous gunfights and massive shoot outs, he never felt bullet proof. On the harder settings ONE bullet was enough to put you down. Despite that however, you played extremely aggressively, relying on jumping in close quarters to get the 1/4 second edge on your enemies. The whole game came together to make Max an intricate, and sympathetic character, with believable flaws and failings.

Honorable mentions go to: The Sorrow, not enough screen time but extremely sympathetic. Lloyd from tales of symphonia for a well trodden path but good execution. and the cast from Brothers in Arms for being a great emotional tale that still confuses the hell out of me.

Everyone listed pales in comparison to this guy:

Smiling Jack from Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines.

With honorable mentions to Zoe Castillo and Max Payne.

Jackie Estacado ("The Darkness" franchise)- a sympathetic anti-hero who has gone through more pain and loss than I'd care to think about.

Ada Wong ("Resident Evil" franchise)- I still don't know who she is really, but every scene with her is suave and cool.

Oghren ("Dragon Age Origins")- you tube any of his scenes. He's certified gold.

Varric Tethras ("Dragon Age 2")- CERTIFIED GOLD!

Johnny Powell ("The Darkness 2")- The brilliant, paranoid, fidgety, and possibly insane supporting character of The Darkness 2.

FreelanceButler:
Also Relius Clover from BlazBlue because he's one of the only villains I've ever properly liked. I don't remember the story of BlazBlue that well, but I don't remember him doing many villainous things. He's more just a scientist that's a bit of an asshole, but he's such a classy asshole that he gets away with it.

I'm kinda torn on the Blablue bad guys, Relius espically. They're awesome villains, no doubt, but they kinda do too many evil things for me to really like them. Hazama for instance, I still laugh at him, but I freaking hate his guts because he's such an asshole. And Relius... after seeing his treatment of Carl and Makoto's bad ending, I just wanna kill that bastard.

Gearhead mk2:

FreelanceButler:

I'm kinda torn on the Blablue bad guys, Relius espically. They're awesome villains, no doubt, but they kinda do too many evil things for me to really like them. Hazama for instance, I still laugh at him, but I freaking hate his guts because he's such an asshole. And Relius... after seeing his treatment of Carl and Makoto's bad ending, I just wanna kill that bastard.

Yeah, I try and make it seem like Relius isn't that bad in my head, but that's just me being in denial that I like a proper villain.
Like all the stuff he's done to his family, they're all still alive. Sort of. Kinda. Well, Carl is.
And I guess the stuff he did to Makoto never really happened because the bad endings aren't canon. But that's just me making excuses.

At least Relius is all like "For science!". I never really liked Hazama because he seemed more like "For the sake of being a knob!". Even if he can be right down hilarious.

FreelanceButler:
snip.

Yeah, Hazama is just a dick for the sake of being a dick. It's like The Joker or Handsome Jack, he's funny, but he's so evil that you kinda wish you weren't laughing at him. At least he has a proper motivation though, what with the "blow up the world and make everyone suffer as much as I can to stay alive". Relius is just SCIENCE!, and I'm sorry, SCIENCE! isn't an excuse for a scene that's just two hairs shy of him RAPING one of the game's most likable characters. If I had to pick a Blazblue villain, it'd probably be Arakune. I like his crazyness, his music is awesome, and he's a great tragic bad guy.

- Abe from Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee.

- The Prince from Prince of Persia: Sands of Time.

- Leon S. Kennedy from Resident Evil 4.

No detailed reason for why I like 'm, I just thoroughly enjoyed experiencing their adventures and their responses to the situations they found themselves in.

Mike Haggar. Because of this:

Agent York from Deadly Premonition will always have a special place in my heart.
He's clearly mentally unstable, possibly schizophrenic, but without losing what makes him a brilliant investigator.
He lacks a lot of social cues, but still manages to keep a likable demeanor.
He ranges from hilarious to genuinely tragic depending on what part of his past he's talking about.
All in all, a very enjoyable character.

Caramel Frappe:
Clementine from The Walking Dead game.

The 8 year old still acts like a kid, but she's a smart one. That, and she acts helpful along with trying to be her best even when the world is gone to crap. She wasn't made so we are 'forced' to care about her, she was designed in a way we are bound to care for her because we 'want' to. Also she's simple minded, but brings up good points that makes you pause and think, "Why hasn't anyone else thought of that?"

Clem was definitely the star of Walking Dead, and probably the best child character I can think of. I have to mention Lee as well though, because their interaction building on each other really added another layer of depth. Best familial relationship I've seen in a game.

The choice is obvious. Niftu Cal.

He thinks things... And they happen!

And Space Core.

It was not afraid to live its dream... And succeeded!

Garret because honour among thieves.
Viconia because...just because. In a relationship with my (chaotic good) Bhaalspawn, her transformation is amazing. She has one of the most interesting stories of any RPG NPC I can name.
Also, Minsc, while on the subject of BG2.

Hmm...
I don't know...
Maybe... Jack...
No, not Captain Jack Sparrow...
Not Jack Skellington either...
And definitely not Jack from ME2, since I never played that game.

The Jack I mean wears a mask...
And turned into a dragon...
Yes, that's right...
You know him...
You love him... (or potentially hate him (or maybe somewhere in between those two))
The one...
The only...
Jack of Blades!

What can I say? I like villains.
Well, most of them.
Plus, I like his mask/red hood/chainmail combination.

This little guy right here.

Vivi from Final Fantasy IX.

Out of any character in any game I've played, he's probably the one I most relate to. He starts out pretty shy and naive, and is also unsure of himself and his ability to help those in need. He even questions his own existence when he sees other people like him who act as mindless soldiers to a tyrannical ruler.

Over the course of the game though, he grows to be a stronger person. He helps his friends, he

And of course, there's this scene:

Vivi is just awesome. Plain and simple.

I'm a sucker for future-cops, or pretty much anyone with awesome gadgets. Bonus points if they have a sly or narcissistic attitude. When someone says "favorite", though, Adam Jensen, HK-47, Garrett, Frank West, and Razputin come to mind, I guess.

I don't see myself encountering a video game character who resonates with me anywhere near as much as Yuna, the protagonist of Final Fantasy X-2, resonates with me. She is a brilliantly written, startlingly sympathetic character who also manages to be thoughtful while never ceasing to be charming and funny. She's far beyond likable or even lovable, sitting firmly in the realm of 'adorable' where few other video game characters can feasibly tread. A huge component of Final Fantasy X-2's resounding success lies in just how much I wanted to see Yuna through to the end, accomplishing every possible feat and completing every optional mission just out of affection for her, because at the end of the day, the miasma of political faction warfare and confusing historical plot points didn't really matter, because Final Fantasy X-2 is about Yuna. It's about Yuna's attempts to forge an identity for herself and consider her own emotions, thoughts, and desires. The tagline on the back of the box couldn't be more accurate. This time, it's personal.

Rex Dark:
Hmm...
I don't know...
Maybe... Jack...
No, not Captain Jack Sparrow...
Not Jack Skellington either...
And definitely not Jack from ME2, since I never played that game.

The Jack I mean wears a mask...
And turned into a dragon...
Yes, that's right...
You know him...
You love him... (or potentially hate him (or maybe somewhere in between those two))
The one...
The only...
Jack of Blades!

What can I say? I like villains.
Well, most of them.
Plus, I like his mask/red hood/chainmail combination.

Jack of blades is rather amazing his mask is ridiculously cool and ya know he is an ancient cosmic horror always a good way to be and i wish you could have gotten his full armor set

Lee Everett from the Walking Dead. Regardless of how you play him during the game he is a man defined by his mistakes and his love for Clementine. The end of the world allows him to find personal redemption and his story ends in the perfect way.

PLAYABLE CHARACTER: The Prince of Persia, excluding the multi-coloured scarf version, the 'dark and edgy' Warrior Within version, and the Jake Gyllenhal version.
There we go, that version. Loved his personality, his voice actor really nailed him, IMO. I like how in almost every game, he's both the cause of and the solution to every disaster (Forgotten Sands Xbox version is the only exception, I think?). His dialogue with Farah, and with the Genie from Forgotten Sands Wii version, were great.

NPC: Mordin Solus.

A consequentialist who doesn't just come off like a huge dick. I actually agree with his actions in ME2, though my Paragon Shepard argued with him. Frigging hilarious, from his singing to his suggestions regarding alien romances ("don't ingest").

Professor Layton from... well.. Professor Layton will always hold a special place in my heart.

The Engineer from Team Fortress 2 is also a favorite. Leonardo from ACII and Brotherhood is another favorite.

Honorable mention: Garrus. I'm growing fond of him but I've only just started Mass Effect.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked