7.7% (8)
7.7% (8)
3DS when it lowers the price
6.7% (7)
6.7% (7)
Vita when it lowers the price
9.6% (10)
9.6% (10)
I have no useful things to say about either devices. Not sure why I'm here.
13.5% (14)
13.5% (14)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: The 3DS or the Vita

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Hello Escapists!

As happens in every man's life, they have to make a choice that will alter their very existence forever. For me...that time has come:

I want to get a handheld but am torn between the 3DS and the Vita and I am hoping that the collective brains of The Escapist will be able to assist in my decision making. There are a few games that I want for both systems:

Vita: Valkyria Chronicles II and Persona
3DS: Fire Emblem

So to assist me in making my ever so important decision, could a few helpful citizens answer these questions:

1. Besides the above-mentioned games, what RPG's exist on both respective consoles that I may be interested in. Basically, any high-quality RPG (ideally tactical ones but JRPG/WRPG are also acceptable) is what I'm after.

2. Does the Playstation Plus make getting the Vita worth it? That PS+ program looks bad ass but I don't know how good it actually is when it comes to Vita usage.

3. Are there any super sneaky hidden costs to the system of choice (for example, you HAVE to buy the memory cards for the Vita)?

Thank you for your assistance.

VitaVitaVitaVitaVitaVitaVitaVitaVitaVitaVitaVitaVitaVitaVitaVitaVitaVitaVitaVitaVitaVitaVitaVitaVitaVitaVitaVitaVitaVitaVitaVitaVitaVitaVitaVitaVitaVitaVitaVita-

Sorry. I'm under confirmation bias since I own one and not the other, which I imagine will happen a fair amount with the 3DS too.

1) Gravity Rush is a pseudo-action-RPG. It's more Zelda than Final Fantasy, but still worth getting. There's, of course, also Final Fantasy! Or Grandia, or Chrono Cross, or Legend of Dragoon, or countless other PS1 games. There's also the Disgaea franchise, which are tactical RPGs, as the PSP remakes are available for download and the Vita itself has a re-release of the third game. I believe Final Fantasy Tactics is on the PSN, as well as the Tactics Ogre game that was on the PSP. And, of course, Persona 3 Portable and Persona 4 Golden. And probably more that I just haven't paid attention to.

EDIT: I suppose to be a little fair, I think the 3DS has more "original"/"new" RPGs in its current catalog than the Vita does. The Vita has the PS1/PSP catalog, but there isn't a large number of new RPGs for the Vita itself from what I've seen so far.

2) I don't really know as I don't have it, but I've heard it's pretty neat for Vita users as well.

3) I wouldn't say it's sneaky... but yes, if you're going to be downloading titles off of the PSN, you'll want to buy a decent sized memory card, because those games can get pretty large.

shrekfan246:
VitaVitaVitaVitaVitaVitaVitaVitaVitaVitaVitaVitaVitaVitaVitaVitaVitaVitaVitaVitaVitaVitaVitaVitaVitaVitaVitaVitaVitaVitaVitaVitaVitaVitaVitaVitaVitaVitaVitaVita-

Sorry. I'm under confirmation bias since I own one and not the other, which I imagine will happen a fair amount with the 3DS too.

...you're going to have to be more specific about which system you're backing; I can't tell :P

I'm actually banking on the fact that there will be a confirmation bias for both sides to show up in this thread to really highlight the pros of each system (specifically the games for what good is a shiny system if the games suck). Frankly, the cons are of minimal concern to me for being a fairly educated gamer, I am pretty well aware of the cons (like the memory card thing or to be fair to both sides, the kind of shitty battery that the original 3DS has).

For Vita, yes, you do have to buy the memory cards. And yes they're expensive, and yes it sucks. On the other hand, PS+ is by all accounts pretty neat, though personally I don't agree with the idea of paying up front to get deals off later. I'd much rather companies just put stuff on sale. Steam doesn't charge you for their sales, and neither does the eShop. Just my opinion.

In terms of RPGs, the 3DS has been pretty anaemic so far, but that's looking to change a lot this year. You've got Fire Emblem Awakening out now (or April, if you're in Europe like me) which everyone is splurging hot love juice over, as well as Crimson Shroud, Code of Princess, Tales Of The Abyss, SMT: Devil Survivor Overclocked, Dragon Quest VII and The Denpa Men. And in terms of upcoming RPGs, you've got Monster Hunter 3: Ultimate, Monster Hunter 4, Etrian Odyssey IV, Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers, and hopefully Bravely Default if Square Enix stop being absolute wankers.

Vita you've, obviously, got Persona 4 Golden, as well as Monster Hunter 3, and I believe Ragnarok Odyssey is in the works. Apart from that, I'm not too clued up on Vita RPGs. I love the look of Gravity Daze, but I think that's more of a puzzle-platformer than anything, isn't it?

tippy2k2:

shrekfan246:

...you're going to have to be more specific about which system you're backing; I can't tell :P

I'm actually banking on the fact that there will be a confirmation bias for both sides to show up in this thread to really highlight the pros of each system (specifically the games for what good is a shiny system if the games suck). Frankly, the cons are of minimal concern to me for being a fairly educated gamer, I am pretty well aware of the cons (like the memory card thing or to be fair to both sides, the kind of shitty battery that the original 3DS has).

The battery isn't really all that excellent in the Vita either. It's good for a few hours, generally four-eight depending on how continuously you play it, but then you'll have to plug it back in again. But, putting it in sleep mode doesn't drain the battery (from what I've seen of mine) and then all you have to do is hit the power or Playstation button and it pops back on and you can jump right back into whatever game you were playing when you put it to sleep, literally in the same exact spot you "paused" it at.

I've had both and I would go for the 3DS right now!

RPGs (or similar):

Tales of the Abyss
Kingdom Hearts: Dream Drop Distance
Heroes of Ruin
Zelda Ocarina of Time Remake
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate
Ghost Recon Shadow Wars (like Xcom)
Castlevania Lords of Shadow: Mirror of Fate
Fire Emblem Awakening

Plus you have all of the excellent first party games (Mario etc) and you can tap into a wealth of DS RPG's' too.

It should work out cheaper and your guaranteed new games, unlike the Vita's barren release schedule.

Edit: If you do get a 3DS, make it an XL!

I'm an early adopter for both handhelds. My vote would have to go with the Vita, hands down. No hesitation.

Question #1: If you don't mind my linking to one of my older posts, take a read of this post if you're interested in Japanese titles. Also, the image in the spoiler is worth a look at regardless of region. The image is designed specifically for people searching for recommendations. http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.400887-Question-for-the-Region-Free-Vita-Players#16496356
Remember that the Vita is compatible with most US PSP games as digital downloads and every Japanese PSP game is available on the JP PSN so if you never had a PSP, think of it as being able to buy both handhelds at once except you get to play those PSP games on that gorgeous OLED screen.

Question #2:PS+ is one of the best services I have ever subscribed to. Sony shows that they care about their customers with this service. The free games they put up, while never brand new, are still often a good mix of indie and AAA titles that you may not have gotten around to yet. Some people I know literally get by only subscribing to PS+ and never buying games because there's always a lot on offer and they cycle new games monthly. If you have a PS3, even better! The amount of games you'll get for free will be a pleasant surprise.

Question #3: I haven't come across any hidden costs. Not all games on the service are free just because you subscribe but they offer plenty of discounts for PS+ members as well. I almost feel like a damn spokesman talking up his own service but I honestly think it's that good.

Quite honestly, I have owned both since launch day and I have barely touched my 3DS. At all. I can't even remember where I put that thing. Your best bet is to look at the list of games that are available and choose yourself. I have a couple of 3DS games but none of them have been particularly spectacular and the e-shop is mostly shovelware and mobile phone tier games.

The other thing about the Vita that is very important to me on a personal level is that it is entirely region free, unlike the 3DS. I speak Japanese well enough to play their games but I'm locked out from the ability to play Japanese only 3DS games because of region locking. It's disappointing but I don't have the money to shell out for a Japanese 3DS, so I can't comment on that.

And the Vita battery is a funny beast, like shrekfan246 pointed out already, continuous play ranges from 4-8 hours but the sleep mode is God tier. I put my game to sleep off the charger in the middle of a dungeon in P4G and came back about 2 weeks later and still had 3/4 battery and it picked right up from where I left it. I have no idea how it works, I just know that it's fabulous.

I won't rant on much longer, the cost of buying a Vita is high, I know that. But never once have I felt a shred of buyers remorse for it. I hope this post has been helpful, if you have any more specific questions about either system, feel free to quote me or shoot me a PM, I'm always happy to help.

Although I have both and love them both equally, but I would have to say, get a 3DS for now, fantasic selection of games and doesn't cost a bomb.

The Vita is fantastic, but it will drain your wallet faster than a speeding bullet.

Lets weigh some pros and cons!
Memory Cards
Vita: Propitiatory Memory Cards that cost a bomb.
3DS: Have an SD card lying around? Use it.

Selection of games
Vita: Aside from PSP and PS1 titles, the PSV has very little in terms of slection, but the games are great, such as Gravity Rush and Persona 4 Golden, if you have PS+, you get several games for free (but only if you have the space for it and only as long as you have PS+) and the games have a great chance to improve.
3DS: A huge selection, many flagship Nintendo games, as well as strong 3rd party support, titles like Kingdom Hearts: Dream Drop Distance, Fire Emblem: Awakening, Code of Princess and other fantastic titles.

Battery Life
Vita: 3-4 hours I believe, I mostly have it plugged in.
3DS: 3-4 hours, but depends on how high the 3D is on, it lasts longer if you use little to no 3D.

Region locking
Vita: no region lock so you can buy games from anywhere in the world.
3DS: region locked, very annoying, especially if you were hoping to buy games no available in your region.

Price of system
Vita: initial cost of system is 250 without 3G and 300 with 3G, same price as a PS3, if not more.
3DS: 160 for the original model, around 200 for the XL model, XL model usually comes with Mario Kart 7 built in.

Very debatable, but I believe the 3DS wins, especially in terms of game selection and price.

I always base my decision on the games that are out or coming out - more so than the system itself. Who knows, I may have both at some point but I plan on getting a 3DS sometime this year.

I've wanted Kingdom Hearts 3D since it came out but couldn't justify getting a 3DS just for that. There are other games I would get but none big enough to sway me. However, Pokemon X and Y also come out this year - now I can justify it ;) I don't really know what games the Vita is offering but KH 3D and Pokemon X are enough to persuade me to get a 3DS. I think Sony should really market the Vita more, I don't know anything about it =S

If I was forced I'd probably go for the 3DS.

Nintendo simply knows how to handle handheld gaming. Or at least better then Sony does, who seem to believe people want a portable home console experience.

Casual Shinji:

Nintendo simply knows how to handle handheld gaming. Or at least better then Sony does, who seem to believe people want a portable home console experience.

This is one of those things people say that really bugs me. I'm not trying to jibe at or offend you, by the way. But when I was a kid playing games like Crash Bandicoot or the Oddworld games or any of the games from the mid to late 90s on PS1, I dreamed of the day that I'd be able to play them on my GameBoy.

Fair enough, Sony promised exactly that with the PSP and didn't deliver but every time I turn on my Vita, my inner child squee's with joy. I find that the experience the Vita offers is very different from both the 3DS and from home consoles. When I have 10 minutes to spare, the Vita is obviously not always my first thought. But when I'm stuck on a plane for 8+ hours or traveling far away from my PC and home consoles, the Vita is my go-to handheld.

The Vita offers both home console and casual, on-the-go experiences! And hell, with games like Mutant Blobs Attack, Disgaea, Lumines, DJ Max, Project Diva, Super Stardust Delta, Sound Shapes, Touch My Katamari and a whole load of other titles that could just as easily fill in a 10 minute gap as a 4 hour gap.

It'd be a good idea to not comment on things you aren't entirely certain about because you'll only end up misleading folks. Sony have heard the complaints and have done things to remedy them but people remain caught up in their initial reactions to the product.

The Vita is over a year old now, things you read when it first came out are now out of date.

Oh and OP, if you're a fan of Final Fantasy, there's a promotion going on the PSN at the moment. "Buy 1 year and get 3 months of PSN free" and I think FF games are all having a huge sale at the moment, 50% off if I remember correctly. And I'd wait til the 20th before making a decision, Sony's having that big announcement thingy. Who knows, they might announce a price cut along with everything they're announcing.

3DS Has:
Fire Emblem: Awakening, The Crimson Shroud, Liberation Maiden, Etrian Odyssey IV, OoT3D and Devil Survivor: Overclocked.

Will have:
Shin Megami Tensei IV, SMT Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers, Pokemon X/Y, Mario and Luigi Dream Team and definitely so much more.

I have nothing against the Vita, but I think 3DS has more to offer.

VanQQisH:

Casual Shinji:

This is one of those things people say that really bugs me. I'm not trying to jibe at or offend you, by the way. But when I was a kid playing games like Crash Bandicoot or the Oddworld games or any of the games from the mid to late 90s on PS1, I dreamed of the day that I'd be able to play them on my GameBoy.

Fair enough, Sony promised exactly that with the PSP and didn't deliver but every time I turn on my Vita, my inner child squee's with joy. I find that the experience the Vita offers is very different from both the 3DS and from home consoles. When I have 10 minutes to spare, the Vita is obviously not always my first thought. But when I'm stuck on a plane for 8+ hours or traveling far away from my PC and home consoles, the Vita is my go-to handheld.

The Vita offers both home console and casual, on-the-go experiences! And hell, with games like Mutant Blobs Attack, Disgaea, Lumines, DJ Max, Project Diva, Super Stardust Delta, Sound Shapes, Touch My Katamari and a whole load of other titles that could just as easily fill in a 10 minute gap as a 4 hour gap.

It'd be a good idea to not comment on things you aren't entirely certain about because you'll only end up misleading folks. Sony have heard the complaints and have done things to remedy them but people remain caught up in their initial reactions to the product.

The Vita is over a year old now, things you read when it first came out are now out of date.

The thing is, I'm not a fan of handhelds at all. But all the Vita seems to me is Sony's subborn attempt at still trying to push a handheld console experience, when everybody on the go is already gaming on their phone.

When I look at each device individually, or from what I've seen from both of them, the 3DS instills more trust in me than the Vita. The latter of which seems to sell itself on spin offs from other better games and the ability to play PS1/PS2 games from PSN which can also easily be played on my own PS3.

Casual Shinji:
Snip.

Thing is, Sony aren't pushing the portable home experience like you're claiming they are. I can tell you from experience that while they do offer that, they also offer plenty of regular handheld titles and some mobile titles. I like being able to take my PS1/PS2 games with me on the go.

I can see where you're coming from though. Looking at the miniscule marketing they've done in the west that just keeps focusing on "We have Assassin's Creed and CoD on Vita now" it's not surprising one thinks that way. Thing is, if Sony were half smart about it, they'd advertise the many localized games that are on the device.

Hell, if they were smart they'd push to have more games localized. Many of the games only available in Japan are some of the best reasons to buy the Vita at this point but the same can be said about the 3DS. I'd dig mine out if I could play Bravely Default.

Then again, this is a thread about handhelds and what you could just as easily do on your PS3 is irrelevant. Hell, I could just as easily play a million Mario games on my Wii, doesn't stop it from selling like hotcakes on the 3DS, does it?

Tough call. I feel that both machines are kinda in their infancy at the moment and don't have much to offer. Still, I went for a Vita based on some of the upcoming JRPGs and the capabilities it shares with my PS3. 3DS has some sweet titles though. (Here's looking at you FE)

VanQQisH:
Then again, this is a thread about handhelds and what you could just as easily do on your PS3 is irrelevant. Hell, I could just as easily play a million Mario games on my Wii, doesn't stop it from selling like hotcakes on the 3DS, does it?

And that's most likely where my lack of interest in handhelds stems from. That and I never travel.

I say 3DS. You get the backcatalog from the DS, and some awesome new titles coming. The Vita's fine, but Sony botched it somewhat. So take a 3DS for now.

Which one is Pokemon X coming out on? That one please.

tippy2k2:
Hello Escapists!

As happens in every man's life, they have to make a choice that will alter their very existence forever. For me...that time has come:

I want to get a handheld but am torn between the 3DS and the Vita and I am hoping that the collective brains of The Escapist will be able to assist in my decision making. There are a few games that I want for both systems:

Vita: Valkyria Chronicles II and Persona
3DS: Fire Emblem

So to assist me in making my ever so important decision, could a few helpful citizens answer these questions:

1. Besides the above-mentioned games, what RPG's exist on both respective consoles that I may be interested in. Basically, any high-quality RPG (ideally tactical ones but JRPG/WRPG are also acceptable) is what I'm after.

2. Does the Playstation Plus make getting the Vita worth it? That PS+ program looks bad ass but I don't know how good it actually is when it comes to Vita usage.

3. Are there any super sneaky hidden costs to the system of choice (for example, you HAVE to buy the memory cards for the Vita)?

Thank you for your assistance.

They are both equally great.

3DS has a ton of games that you can play now and a ton of ones that will release shortly. The games are all fun and different.

Vita has very little games. So far 90% of my library has been from Japan via Imports. The Vita needs some games, badly in the States. However, other than that I do love the lack of a region-lock and the games that I have played for it were a lot of fun.

Casual Shinji:

No they don't. Nintendo gave us Sticker Star instead of a real Paper Mario game like the first two and they did that because they thought Sticker Star would be better suited to the handheld. Now, Sony would have given us the console experience and wouldn't have been afraid to put a real PM game on a handheld. Which would you have preferred?

Capitano Segnaposto:
They are both equally great.

3DS has a ton of games that you can play now and a ton of ones that will release shortly. The games are all fun and different.

Vita has very little games. So far 90% of my library has been from Japan via Imports. The Vita needs some games, badly in the States. However, other than that I do love the lack of a region-lock and the games that I have played for it were a lot of fun.

That seems to be the general theme I've seen here in the thread:

The 3DS right now has a ton of games and the Vita has a ton of potential (or a ton of games if you speak Japanese...which I don't). At the rate it's going, it's likely I will go with the 3DS and keep an eye on the Vita (especially for this rumored price cut coming this year).

However, that PS+ service though (especially in combo with my PS3) sounds like a Vita's dream. It's the wild card forcing me to keep my bets in check and not just declaring the 3DS the winner. Also, getting PS1 and PS2 games onto the Vita with the download service alone kind of makes up for the lack of Vita specific hardware. There are an awful lot of games for the older generation I never got to play (Persona 3 to be specific but I'm sure there are plenty of others).

*Sigh...why can't I just have the money to buy both! That's make this way easier to decide :(

TizzytheTormentor:

Battery Life
3DS: 3-4 hours, but depends on how high the 3D is on, it lasts longer if you use little to no 3D.

Turn off the Wireless when you don't need it, and don't run the 3D unless you really enjoy it.
With Battery-Saving Mode coloration on, it increases the battery life by ~30 minutes to an hour (depending on the wear and tear of the battery).

ON TOPIC: Definitely research the library of games available before committing to either, and be wary of chopped down versions of existing games and remakes (especially on the 3DS, whose control scheme is NOT AT ALL suited to traditional 3D environments. It's definitely a learning experience).

3DS:
I own a 3DS, and for the most part it doesn't offer many good new titles. Or at least, titles that interested me (I'm not thrilled with Mario and Zelda, and even less thrilled with remakes. But if it floats your boat, I won't judge).
To better explain my bias, I have an Ambassador system, and that was the only thing that kept me from selling mine a year ago.

Vita:
I got to play around with my friend's a bit last year, and I think it's a great piece of gaming hardware.
But boy, do you pay for the privilege; between the high cost of the unit, near-total emphasis on PS+ and the requisite memory cards (which are RIDICULOUSLY overpriced, like a markup of 200%).

A year ago, the Vita was an embarrassment for Sony; a total waste of money on account of selection alone. But its selection is growing better with time. Still, it's an investment: between that and my distrust of Sony I just do not recommend it unless you are in love with the retro titles (Tomba! Fucking Tomba! You have any idea how hard that game is to find legitimately?)

Atmos Duality:
Post edited by Tippy2k2 to just have the stuff I'm responding to

3DS:
I own a 3DS, and for the most part it doesn't offer many good new titles.
Vita:
Still, it's an investment: between that and my distrust of Sony I just do not recommend it unless you are in love with the retro titles (Tomba! Fucking Tomba! You have any idea how hard that game is to find legitimately?)

Well damn, with that description, it sounds like they both just have remakes on them :)

I certainly do have a bit of research to do (thanks to everyone who gave me some title names; that alone is going to save me some time).

in recent times Nintendo has been the safer alternative on handhelds. and the 3DS is coming out with a solid line up this year.

However, as an atlus fan, its very hard to say no to the persona series. Id say the 3DS because I own one and know the line up better, plus I think its less expensive. but thats up to you if you want to do the 3D thing. I like it, but it made it hard to play for multiple simultaneous hours. But then again all 3D does that to me, im just one of those people.

Anything I could say would be severely biased towards the 3DS, I got one at launch and loved every second of it.
I'm also a huge Nintendo fan and I have been since the Game Boy Colour.

All I'm gonna say is don't let other people sway your decision too much; there's a lot of biased people out there, myself included :P

I have both and I prefer the Vita over the 3DS.

There are features that I like way more on the Vita than I do with the 3DS. The touch screen is rather nice and the rear screen is a neat little feature, the analog sticks feel nice, and it fits nicely in my hands. You can play PS1 games and there are some really neat games for it if you go looking in the PSN store.

The 3DS is nice as well, but it's nothing more than a DS with 3D capability, and yeah it does have a lot of RPGs and some first party games. The one thing I don't like about the handheld itself is their analog stick, it just feels weird and a little out of place for me.

The battery life is about the same for both, but you will have to get a SD card that's PS certified (for now anyways) for the Vita and it ain't cheap.

Personally, I'd go with the Vita, but what I would do is just find someone or a store that has both and just play with them and see what you like better.

Judging by the poll, the large majority of people pick 3DS. And with good reason. I have both, and even I say that the 3DS is worth it over the Vita. Simply because it has more games.

If you're looking to get a Vita just to play Persona 4: Golden, then that's probably a bad idea. (Even though that's exactly what I did. >->)

Just think about what console has that larger amount of games you would like to play. That's an easy deciding factor.

EDIT: Derp. Totally forgot to answer your questions.

1.) Vita: Persona 4: Golden (Teh best geam evar. EVAR. I'm serious.), Disgaea 3 (A very hardcore strategy RPG.)
3DS: Fire Emblem, Kingdom Hearts Dream Drop Distance, Pokemon X/Y (Not out yet, but it'll be awesome, I know it.)

2.) I've been using PS+ for over a year now. And I say that it's worth every penny. Seriously, for only $50 a year, you get new shit every month. FOR FREE. Now, I don't have PS+ for Vita; Just for my PS3. But I do know that it works exactly the same on Vita as it does on the PS3 version.

3.) Proprietary Memory Cards; The bane of the Vita's existence. These things can range from $18 to $100. That's kinda bullshit. And to think that they used to cost more before Sony took the budget knife and slashed all of the prices by about a quarter. And if you're planning on using PS+, you HAVE to get a larger card to download all of those games.

And as far as I know, the 3DS doesn't have any of that bullshit. It's a console you can take right out of the box and start playing immediately.

shrekfan246:

1) Gravity Rush is a pseudo-action-RPG.

Got it for free with Plus, and thought it was awful Yikes. Love the aesthetic. A shame they put gameplay in, because it kills the game.

Plus, however, is pretty damn good. The downside is that a reasonable sized memory card is too expensive. I've got an 8 Gig, so I've got to constantly juggle things. On the other hand, I just bumped my phone up to a 32 GB MSD card and it cost me ten dollars less.

Honestly, it's like Sony said "we have this great system...How can we screw it up?"

TizzytheTormentor:

Selection of games
Vita: Aside from PSP and PS1 titles, the PSV has very little in terms of slection, but the games are great, such as Gravity Rush and Persona 4 Golden, if you have PS+, you get several games for free (but only if you have the space for it and only as long as you have PS+) and the games have a great chance to improve.
3DS: A huge selection, many flagship Nintendo games, as well as strong 3rd party support, titles like Kingdom Hearts: Dream Drop Distance, Fire Emblem: Awakening, Code of Princess and other fantastic titles.

This is a good time to remind the TC to ignore people talking about games for the most part. Look at what is released for each system, see what you will enjoy. Fanboys tend to be incredibly slanted in their assessments.

Then again, PS1 games on a portable system IS a draw to me, so I'm not really bothered.

Battery Life
Vita: 3-4 hours I believe, I mostly have it plugged in.

[/quote]

I get well more than 4 hours on a Vita with the wireless on and brightness maxed. Even more if I turn off the wireless I rarely use, but turning off wireless increases both systems. PSVita seems comparable to the 3Ds if 3D is turned off. I say "seems," because I've never timed either handheld precisely.

Zachary Amaranth:

TizzytheTormentor:

Selection of games

This is a good time to remind the TC to ignore people talking about games for the most part. Look at what is released for each system, see what you will enjoy. Fanboys tend to be incredibly slanted in their assessments.

Then again, PS1 games on a portable system IS a draw to me, so I'm not really bothered.

The TC?

Also, I am merely saying that the Vita currently is lacking in it's library of games, I already said that some of them are great (Persona 4 Golden is brilliant)

Also, are you pulling the fanboy card? I have been playing both and at the moment, I am glued to my Vita right now, except for playing Devil Survivor: Overclocked, I haven't been playing my 3DS that much (will change once summer rolls around and some of the big releases roll in) But with that Instant Game Collection thing and getting a 32GB card from my sister for my birthday, I have tons to do on the Vita and haven't put it down since.

Both are fantastic, but the Vita's cost (mostly in the form of it's propitiatory memory cards) is considerable.

Do you like to play games? As in, more than one or two? Do you want a console, with a library of games, rather than a device that enables you to play one or two select titles that will most likely be ported to larger consoles in the near future?

If "Yes" then don't buy the Vita. It's on life support, and failed to reach critical mass. It'll sell nicely once it's not aimed at the "Dumb Rich American Stereotype" demographic that seems to Sony's only target market these days.

If "No", then by all means, grab a Vita.

Go for the 3DS. It's got a much larger selection of games at the moment and even more awesome looking titles are coming out soon. Also it gives you access to the entire DS game catalog and there is a shitload of good games there.

Well, I guess I can give some thoughts since I actually own both.

3DS: I gotta say this thing takes a very long time to charge. The game selection is generally pretty good, but most of it's best games are similar to stuff you'd already see on the DS. I don't use the 3D much, since it does give me eye-strain fairly quickly and it chews through battery life pretty fast. Also Capcom, I want a damn Ace Attorney game on this thing, post haste.

Vita: From a technical perspective, the Vita is a pretty sweet machine. I love that this has a nice large screen, especially compared to the PSP. That being said, the Vita's biggest weakness right now is that with the exception of Gravity Rush (which is truly awesome)and Ragnarok Oddessy most of it's good games are ports with the occasional gimmicky extra added in.

I won't tell you which is a better system, because it is nearly impossible for anyone to give you an unbiased opinion. There are 2 main things that I think are crucial in making this type of decision, games and affordability, but games mostly, since one can wait and save a bit more, if needed.

As the Vita is the more expensive system, can you afford it. Japan just got a price drop, so maybe with the Feb 20th announcement NA will get one too, but who knows. 3DS is much cheaper. However, perhaps the Vita has the most games you want to play, but you don't have the money for it and the 3DS only has some games you want to play, do you save up for the Vita now or buy the 3DS now and then start saving for the Vita later. Obviously, if the 3DS has more of the games now, since it is the cheaper you'd buy it now. PS+ is a good optional service, however, I wouldn't base my system decision on it, it is $50/year to sign up, which if you do get the Vita it adds an additional cost to the purchase. But it is optional, so you don't have to sign up right away. The one thing you do need is a memory card, any of the sizes will do, but the smaller you go the more "management: you'll have to do.

Others have listed games that are announced and coming out for each system natively, so I won't repeat those. In addition, while you gave us a couple of titles for each system you are interested in, without knowing what titles you actually have played for the PS1, PSP, and DS/DSi, since the Vita and the 3DS are backwards compatible, having that back library is a big difference. For instance, you said you liked the strategy rpgs, the PS1 and PSP have/had a number of them, but if you already played them then having that ability to play those games and not wanting to play them again becomes useless. Same thing would go for any games that were for the DS/DSi. On the games front, it really comes down to which system has more of the games that you want to play.

I would suggest going to a shopping site (Amazon, GameStop, etc.,) and browse the selection of games that are compatible with each system and make a decision from there.

I would go Vita purely because of some games I.e Gravity Rush and a few fighting games while the 3DS has Namco x Capcom coming up and thats it that I am interested in atm.

I am not spending stupid money on a Vita though I generally dont handheld game unless I am away for long periods of time which happens once every few years or so. I have a PSP and DS and while I have more games on the DS I have enjoyed the time with a few small selection of games on the PSP more I think its the bigger screen.

I would get one or the other though if I was going on a trip for a few months or so because there is no way I would be gaming on my phone for long.

If you go with the Vita, make sure to get Gravity Rush, Persona 4 Gold and Lumines. All fun games. :D

My vote goes for the Nintendo 3DS, however. I don't personally find the Vita worth it(I used to own one). It was big and clunky and while the two thumbsticks was awesome, the battery life was a total killer. It lasted for like, 3 hours before it was close to dead. 3DS has several good games you can get.

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D
Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor Overclocked
Tales of the Abyss
Theatrythm Final Fantasy
Star Fox 64 3D
Resident Evil: Revelations
Mario Kart 7
Fire Emblem: Awakening
Phoenix Wright 5
(no release date yet)

There are more 3DS titles, but those are what I can recall off the top of my head. You can also get several awesome regular DS games for dirt cheap as well.

Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey
Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor 2
Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney
Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney: Justice for All
Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney: Trials and Tribulations
Apollo Justice Ace Attorney
Miles Edgeworth Ace Attorney: Investigations
Megaman Zero Collection
(contains Megaman Zero 1-4)
Megaman Battle Network 5: Double Team(combines MMBN5: Team Colonel/Protoman)

Battery life for 3DS is...decent. It lasts about 5-6 hours, give or take, when playing a 3DS title, about 7-8 or so when playing a normal DS title. It already comes with a 2GB SD card(which are not proprietary like the Vita, you can go buy another one or even buy an adapter for a Micro SD and slide that into your 3DS just as well). The 3D option is also entirely optional.

Otaku World Order:
Also Capcom, I want a damn Ace Attorney game on this thing, post haste.

Gyakuten Saiban(Phoenix Wright) 5 is in the works. :[] There's no release date yet, though. :{

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked