Do you think The Witcher series is "mature?"

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Azahul:

minarri:

This sums up my feelings about the series rather well. I do feel it's important to point out, however, that while it's far from being the only series that objectifies women, the manner in which it does so (the sexcards) appalled me more than most. It literally turned women into collectible items.

Huh. See, I found it pretty bad, yeah, but not any worse than Dragon Age (the xbox version, dunno if this applies to the others) where you score achievements for sleeping with characters. Not for maxing out the relationship, but just for achieving sex (which doesn't require much effort with some of the characters). All equally bad, in my view.

I don't think it's fair to say that. "Yes, it's bad, but others do it too!" As though that makes it excusable, or makes it OK to ignore that entire facet of the game and still call The Witcher (or other series) mature. It stinks of excuses.

Also, is it impossible to discuss this game series without someone bringing up Dragon Age? It's as though that's become the Godwin's Law of fantasy games.

minarri:

Azahul:

minarri:

This sums up my feelings about the series rather well. I do feel it's important to point out, however, that while it's far from being the only series that objectifies women, the manner in which it does so (the sexcards) appalled me more than most. It literally turned women into collectible items.

Huh. See, I found it pretty bad, yeah, but not any worse than Dragon Age (the xbox version, dunno if this applies to the others) where you score achievements for sleeping with characters. Not for maxing out the relationship, but just for achieving sex (which doesn't require much effort with some of the characters). All equally bad, in my view.

I don't think it's fair to say that. "Yes, it's bad, but others do it too!" As though that makes it excusable, or makes it OK to ignore that entire facet of the game and still call The Witcher (or other series) mature. It stinks of excuses.

Also, is it impossible to discuss this game series without someone bringing up Dragon Age? It's as though that's become the Godwin's Law of fantasy games.

Oh, don't get me wrong. I thought the sex cards were ridiculous and they made me pretty uncomfortable, and I don't think the fact that other games do something similar make it better. I'm just saying that games turning women into collectible items isn't really anything new, so I wasn't sure why it appalled you more than most.

As for the reason Dragon Age keeps getting brought up, this topic exists because a Dragon Age fan called the Witcher series immature. That, I imagine, would be why it keeps getting brought up.

For what it's worth I felt The Witcher was as mature as fart gags (nothing wrong with fart gags btw, I personally like them but wouldn't call them mature).
It's rare to non-existant that I'd play a detailed RPG and just give it up half way through but I did with The Witcher.
I stopped playing as it was clear the theme wasn't 'Geralt saves the world' or 'Geralt saves the village and now everyone can get along despite their differences' etc, I more got the impression it was all about'collectibles for boning'.

Apologies for the rant, feel better now!

RingaFiar:
For what it's worth I felt The Witcher was as mature as fart gags (nothing wrong with fart gags btw, I personally like them but wouldn't call them mature).
It's rare to non-existant that I'd play a detailed RPG and just give it up half way through but I did with The Witcher.
I stopped playing as it was clear the theme wasn't 'Geralt saves the world' or 'Geralt saves the village and now everyone can get along despite their differences' etc, I more got the impression it was all about'collectibles for boning'.

I don't get this opinion.

I mean...did you even pay attention to the story? It was about Geralt finding the mutagens and finding out who was behind the attack at Kaer Morhen, and less so...getting his memory back. This, amongst fostering an extraordinary child, and the backdrop of a civil war between elves/dwarves and humans, with political intrigue, murder plots, and civil unrest. And the amazing twist at the end!!

If you play it like a "collectibles for boning" game, fair enough, but I didn't, I was intrigued by the story so sorry if you seemed to just look out for the sex stuff.

I liked the witcher, I don't care if it's mature it sure as hell beats most RPGs these days.

I beat Witcher 1 a few weeks ago, and it really is something that kids shouldn't play...maybe not shouldn't, but wouldn't. It deals with Racism, Poverty, Civil Unrest, and horrible monsters that plague everywhere. I don't know why people say its a sex minigame. Did you guys actually play the game? The sex is usually secondary ( In fact, In my 44 hour play through, I think I was confronted with sex from an NPC maybe...3 or 4 times? And each time was avoidable.

It seems more like Game of Thrones then something like Leisure Suit Larry or Duke Nukem.

endtherapture:

RingaFiar:

I mean...did you even pay attention to the story? It was about Geralt finding the mutagens and finding out who was behind the attack at Kaer Morhen, and less so...getting his memory back. This, amongst fostering an extraordinary child, and the backdrop of a civil war between elves/dwarves and humans, with political intrigue, murder plots, and civil unrest. And the amazing twist at the end!!

If you play it like a "collectibles for boning" game, fair enough, but I didn't, I was intrigued by the story so sorry if you seemed to just look out for the sex stuff.

I was flippant with the 'collectibles' comment but the game just didn't do it for me, I like the fantastical racism of the story but it couldn't really get me involved, perhaps I should revisit the game to see what I missed but all I can remember is sex politics and how badly it was described in the game.

Don't want an argument, I know how popular the Witcher was, just can't see the appeal personally.

The fact that some magical slut comes along every five minutes to fuck Geralt makes it a little less mature (in terms of storyline written for adults because that's what angsty teens love) but other than that the storyline is quite mature.

As for the bioware forums they are definitely just fanboys. I like both series (I prefer Dragon Age a little more because the witcher's gameplay has a difficulty curve steeper than a tanx graph) and see no reason to rail at either one.

RingaFiar:

endtherapture:

RingaFiar:

I was flippant with the 'collectibles' comment but the game just didn't do it for me, I like the fantastical racism of the story but it couldn't really get me involved, perhaps I should revisit the game to see what I missed but all I can remember is sex politics and how badly it was described in the game.

Don't want an argument, I know how popular the Witcher was, just can't see the appeal personally.

I got, 3, maybe 4 sex collectibles in the entire game? I mean fair enough if the story isn't your thing but the sex cards are just a by-product of how you play the game, and are definitely not needed for completion, and hardly the focus of the game.

I stayed mainly faithful to Triss but I think I slept with the Dryad too...so yeah, it's all how you role-play the game. And having more role playing options in an RPG is always a good thing.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked