I like Aliens: Colonial Marines

Pages 1 2 NEXT

I know there is a lot of backlash against ACM for a few reasons
1. The game demos that were shown were different from the finished game.
2. The game had a lot of bugs upon release.
3. The game doesn't 'feel' like Aliens

Now I understand these complaints and agree with the first two, but this is hardly enough to warrant the response both critics and consumers are giving.

First off, even games with release gameplay footage in their trailers are tailored to what the developers want you to see. World In Conflict was an RTS that showed cinematic views of their battles and claimed it was gameplay because it was rendered in real time with the games engine. I understand the feelings of betrayal, but this is hardly something new.

Secondly, the bugs on release. Yes the game needs polishing. No it isn't as smooth as Halo. But let's think about other games. Dead Island had a bug where you could get stuck walking up stairs. This happened during a primary quest. The only way past it was jumping down the stairs, completing that part of the quest, quitting and reloading your game so that you would start at the lifeguard station. Fallout New Vegas had a bug that deleted your save. Let that sink in for a moment. Fallout would delete your save. That game takes a much longer time to play through making the investment you lost much greater. Yet there wasn't so much backlash against that game. I'm not saying that the bugs aren't there, I'm just stating that the response is far more intense than the bugs deserve.

Lastly, the idea that it doesn't feel like an Aliens game doesn't seem to hold. Let's think about what makes Aliens

Marines in a situation they don't have all the information about. Check.
Evil corporation putting profit above morality. Check.
Defending against lots of Aliens( and more to come in the dlc). Check.
Tense searching of the darkness for enemies. Check (in multiplayer).

I agree, that there could have been more scares or scripted moments in the campaign to give more of a jumpy, fleeing for your life feel, and that some of the areas could have been done better, but consider that for a 4 player co-op experience, scripting becomes difficult and clunky at best. Sometimes players are left out, sometimes all players see the same cutscene. When that happens in Aliens it breaks the co-op experience.

Sure the game wasn't a 10/10 like everyone was hoping, but certainly it deserves better than "worst game ever" reviews. I played it on PC with 3 friends. It took us about 8 hours or so to complete the campaign, and the multiplayer is the best Aliens multiplayer that I've seen. This game is a shot at greatness that misses. But that doesn't mean it's bad. I feel like I've gotten my money's worth and then some, even though there are problems. I hope that in the next few months with DLC and patching that this game could be one to value in anyone's collection.

Plus it's and Aliens game. It's co-op. I for one support that even if it's bad because I want to see more of it.

It's okay. I identify with you being that I love quite a few games that are considered bad by the majority.
We like what we like for our own reasons, sometimes we aren't even aware of what those reasons are.

As for ACM, I'd give it a shot. As long as the price was low.

I've commented on this subject many, many times, so I'll keep it short.

I like the game.

I don't goddamn know why.

I don't know what's wrong with me.

You like it?

Fine. I like The Room, Troll 2 and Yor, Hunter from the Future. Liking something bad is nothing to be ashamed of.

Well firstly the game's demo was not made in game. Or at least witht he same graphics engine. Everything is wrong with it.

It fully deserves all the hate it gets, but does that mean I'm not going to play it? No, I'm just buying the game used is all because i don't want to support this damn practice.

Some people actually liked Hitler. Doesn't mean these people are sane. :P

Good for you. I've heard the MP is fun, provided it doesn't lag, and that the campaign is a blast in co-op on Ultimate Badass. I hope it lives up to what hype is left. Anyone interested in Co-Op'ing on Steam?

Good for you!

I'm still not going to touch it with the standardised 10 foot pole due to a multitude of reasons (some of which you covered) but if you like a game then congratulations!

Unless you are trying to persuade yourself and others that you didn't make a poor purchase, then I can't help you.

The A:CM demo video was presented as actual gameplay, not special trailer footage. That's kind of a big difference.

I like how you used Dead Island for a comparison. It's not like that game also blatantly mislead people with the tone of its teaser trailer. And it's bugginess was also a big thing that was criticized. Games on Bethesda's engine tend to get a bit more of a pass than they should, but New Vegas got plenty of flak for its bugs.

But yeah, it's okay to like bad things.

You know, considering that this is a licensed game, I kinda didn't expect for there to be so much backlash over it.

Now, I'm not saying all licensed games are bad, I friggen loved Batman: Arkham City. What I'm saying is from my experience, most licensed games that don't do very well seem to go under the radar in terms of coverage and discussion. No one really talked about that one Spiderman game involving his future counterpart on here from what I saw.

Not really sure why this one is so different. Was it because it's made by the same guys who released Duke Nukem Forever? The demo?

Maybe it's because I've never played any Aliens games, so maybe I'm in the dark on this one?

Fair enough, just don't get uptight when the majority of people bash the game.

I never really was interested in Colonial Marines. I always prefered the Alien and Predator campaigns in the AvP games.

lapan:
I never really was interested in Colonial Marines. I always preferred the Alien and Predator campaigns in the AvP games.

Pretty much my stance on this subject. I was never really interested, but I can absolutely understand the hate (Even I was insulted by the nerve of the developers on this case, even though I really didn't care).

Yeah, and I like watching 2 Broke Girls. Doesn't mean the show isn't complete crap. Same thing with you and Colonial Marines...

EDIT: Ok, to elaborate a bit. Just because you like something doesn't mean it's good. Likewise, just because you dislike something doesn't make it bad. Plenty of people miss this and simply conclude that Like=Good and Dislike=Bad, when it's more like a Venn diagram where Like and Good only correlate sometimes.

It's perfectly fine if you like A:CM, but it's still a bad game...

No harm in liking something with flaws, as long as you don't pretend they aren't there.

cschraer:
First off, even games with release gameplay footage in their trailers are tailored to what the developers want you to see. World In Conflict was an RTS that showed cinematic views of their battles and claimed it was gameplay because it was rendered in real time with the games engine. I understand the feelings of betrayal, but this is hardly something new.

Is that running as "actual gameplay" or "Act II of the game" in Xbox Markplace and Playstation Network Store videos labeled "Official gameplay trailer"?

Secondly, the bugs on release. Yes the game needs polishing. No it isn't as smooth as Halo. But let's think about other games. Dead Island had a bug where you could get stuck walking up stairs. This happened during a primary quest. The only way past it was jumping down the stairs, completing that part of the quest, quitting and reloading your game so that you would start at the lifeguard station. Fallout New Vegas had a bug that deleted your save. Let that sink in for a moment. Fallout would delete your save. That game takes a much longer time to play through making the investment you lost much greater. Yet there wasn't so much backlash against that game. I'm not saying that the bugs aren't there, I'm just stating that the response is far more intense than the bugs deserve.

The E3 2011 demo clearly shows better AI than what you get in A:CM.

Lastly, the idea that it doesn't feel like an Aliens game doesn't seem to hold. Let's think about what makes Aliens

Aaaaand then we never actually get much information, and all the information we get it nonsensical. The whole point of the story was

Evil corporation putting profit above morality. Check.

Except we fail to understand why they did a lot of things that they did. Example: Why is the Sulaco infested?

Defending against lots of Aliens( and more to come in the dlc). Check.

Yes, a hopeless defense against lots of xenomorphs.

Tense searching of the darkness for enemies. Check (in multiplayer).

I shouldn't have to go to multiplayer to get some tension in a game that supposedly draws upon a series of movies known for their tension.

Lets see how the game fails:

Oh, and by the way, nobody is slamming the multiplayer. Literally everybody I've heard from about the game said that the multiplayer was the best part of the game. Everybody. Thats now hundreds of opinions by now.

Well, there's more to a movie/game/show/book than just having the elements there, it's also the presentation of it.
Granted, I have not played it nor do I plan on it, but I've seen a good number of people playing it and the number of bugs and the severity of them makes even Obsidian cringe. It's put together sloppily and the game comes off as downright goofy.
Then there's the pettier reasons I take, such as the pulse rifle. Why give a gun a red dot sight if the bullets don't go where the red dot is? Why does the pulse rifle not have sound clips for full auto firing? Things like that.

The level where you don't have a gun was an interesting concept though, nice and oppressive.

Good for you? Still doesn't mean it's not a terribly made game.

Why do people feel the need to post a thread that's contrary to popular opinion?

I'm glad you like the game, that means you didn't waste your money, but a lot of people didn't think it was up to scratch, especially for the price of a brand new game.

The fact of the matter is that Gearbox released a 'demo' of the game, claiming it to be an alpha build, and when the 'alpha build' of your game looks and plays better than the finished product, someone has lied.

Someone has lied through their teeth.

Nouw:
Good for you. I've heard the MP is fun, provided it doesn't lag, and that the campaign is a blast in co-op on Ultimate Badass. I hope it lives up to what hype is left. Anyone interested in Co-Op'ing on Steam?

I'm definitely up for it. My steam should be on my profile.

Myself? I played the campaign solo and enjoyed it. There was some really iffy writing, and I don't like their lazy retconning, but I can just pretend that it isn't canon, like A:R, AVP and AVP 2. As far as I'm concerned, the trilogy is all that matters, and the trilogy is one of the best things to come out of cinema ever.

Daystar Clarion:
Good for you?

Why do people feel the need to post a thread that's contrary to popular opinion?

I'm glad you like the game, that means you didn't waste your money, but a lot of people didn't think it was up to scratch, especially for the price of a brand new game.

The fact of the matter is that Gearbox released a 'demo' of the game, claiming it to be an alpha build, and when the 'alpha build' of your game looks and plays better than the finished product, someone has lied.

Someone has lied through their teeth.

Why do people feel the need to post in a thread that isn't made for them? Not talking about you here, but there was a thread for discussing the good points of the game, and all that happened was a bunch of people who didn't like it came in and started saying it was bad and we should feel bad. People like expressing their opinion and they like it to be justified by people backing it up, or at the least to be able to defend it. Making a thread like this allows you to do that. My theory anyway.

I wish the demo were a game though :(

What developer could actually do justice to an Alien game though...

After brief thought, Obsidian. I want Obsidian to make an Alien game. It would be awesome, provided a quality tester went on another bug hunt(har har) after they had done theirs.

I was wondering the other day. Why do the AVP games work as Aliens games but Colonial Marines not? The whole point of Alien as a franchise, I always thought, was the idea that you are being stalked and surrounded and overwhelmed by otherworldy creatures you have very little understanding of and very little hope of overcoming. A game in the Alien universe would be more suited to a Slender-esque stalk-'em-up, not a squad-based first-person shooter where the Xenomorphs are assigned the role of cannon fodder. So why does AVP not suffer from that?

...the Predator.

In the AVP games, you have that stalked feeling, the idea of going up against insurmountable odds. Not from the Xenomorphs, but from the Predator. AVP Marines vs Xenos is as broken and unfaithful an Aliens experience as Colonial Marines, but the idea of that third party watching over you at all times, with its click-click-click and its triangular laser sight aimed at your balls... that fills in the gap. That's why Aliens games where you play as a marine, fighting waves of Xenomorphs, has worked before. And the removal of that element is arguably what makes Colonial Marines' flaws poke through.

TheKasp:
You like it?

Fine. I like The Room, Troll 2 and Yor, Hunter from the Future. Liking something bad is nothing to be ashamed of.

Well, you should be, on all accounts!!! >:(

/jk

OT: yeah, I know what this guy is saying. Most of my favourite games of the last few years have been described as average (Tenchu Z, Shinobido 2), but doesn't stop me from getting fun out of em.

Jove:
Some people actually liked Hitler. Doesn't mean these people are sane. :P

As much slack as hitler gets, he did raise some points that modern politics STILL use as a promotion of their campaign. Some people STILL like hitler. Not to mention that there are far worse alternatives.

Daystar Clarion:

Because people think their opinion is more important and like to argue.

i would love to of seen the meeting over the creation of the demo. it smacks too much of them realising they have a crap game on their hands and needing something to maximise preorders and initial sales before word of mouth and reviews killed it

Andy of Comix Inc:
I was wondering the other day. Why do the AVP games work as Aliens games but Colonial Marines not? The whole point of Alien as a franchise, I always thought, was the idea that you are being stalked and surrounded and overwhelmed by otherworldy creatures you have very little understanding of and very little hope of overcoming. A game in the Alien universe would be more suited to a Slender-esque stalk-'em-up, not a squad-based first-person shooter where the Xenomorphs are assigned the role of cannon fodder. So why does AVP not suffer from that?

...the Predator.

In the AVP games, you have that stalked feeling, the idea of going up against insurmountable odds. Not from the Xenomorphs, but from the Predator. AVP Marines vs Xenos is as broken and unfaithful an Aliens experience as Colonial Marines, but the idea of that third party watching over you at all times, with its click-click-click and its triangular laser sight aimed at your balls... that fills in the gap. That's why Aliens games where you play as a marine, fighting waves of Xenomorphs, has worked before. And the removal of that element is arguably what makes Colonial Marines' flaws poke through.

I disagee, because in AVP (2010) the Xenomorphs are a lot better made. They actually stalk you, and don't just run straight at you. They slither away immediately when you spot them, only to sprint to a place where you can't see them and then jump right in your face. When they're caught in the open they constantly pounce from left to right so they're hard as hell to hit. Also when you're in a dark environment (like 80% of the game), the muzzle flashes from your guns blind you constantly, so you keep losing track of the Xeno the moment you start shooting at it. It feels like panicking. Also, even if you're just playing on medium, they're tough as nails to kill. You need at least half a clip to bring one down, and ammo is pretty limited (at least in the first few levels). You're completely screwed when all you've got left is your pistol. You actually feel vulnerable, you actually feel like the aliens are a real threat. Which they goddamn are, since they're the fucking XENOMORPHS, the universe's most dangerous creatures. AVP might've not been a great game, but at least it absolutely nailed that part.

Just because you like something that doesn't make it good. By all means continue to like it, there are people out there that liked Brink and Too Human, there are people out there that like some of the most horrible movies and TV shows. Like it all you want. But it's still a shit game and it still needs to die.

I like it too, dude. You're not alone.

And to the people saying "just because you like it doesn't mean it's good", well... if I like it, then doesn't that mean I think it's good? Why would I like something I think is bad? If I like it, then it's good. To me. Even people who like bad movies may say they're bad because they're recognized as such by others, but to them it's good! Unless they watch it "ironically", like, say, Plan 9 From Outer Space, which isn't the case here.

Right?

cschraer:
rabble rabble rabble i don't understand the difference between subjective enjoyment and objective quality rabble rabble rabble

Liking a game does not make it good. Disliking it does not make it bad.

Gearbox shipping a product vastly inferior to what was allegedly showcased, full of bugs, and missing much of the intellectual commentary on machismo and the like that the movie Aliens had is bad, and no amount of enjoyment you derive from the game will ever change that.

Look, if you walked into a car dealership and bought a Cadillac, only to discover that it was a Cadillac body around the parts and chassis of a Pinto, you might enjoy the car, but that doesn't mean it is not both of poor quality and dishonest.

Iwata:

And to the people saying "just because you like it doesn't mean it's good", well... if I like it, then doesn't that mean I think it's good?

Same for you. Please don't tell me you're actually dumb enough to confuse thinking something is good/bad and something actually being good/bad.

I'm of the same opinion you are. I preordered and got it on launch day. I have been having loads of fun with it.

Iwata:

And to the people saying "just because you like it doesn't mean it's good", well... if I like it, then doesn't that mean I think it's good? Why would I like something I think is bad? If I like it, then it's good. To me. Even people who like bad movies may say they're bad because they're recognized as such by others, but to them it's good! Unless they watch it "ironically", like, say, Plan 9 From Outer Space, which isn't the case here.

Right?

Okay, I shall try and use an example, as it can be tricky to word.

You like Alien's Colonial Marines presumably for the good things you see in it. You are aware it has flaws but they do not stop you liking it, as the things you like stand out more, yes?

The game does have flaws, and a lot of them. So the game is bad because it has so many flaws. That does not stop you from enjoying the good parts, but it does stop it from being a good game, because things that are good do not tend to have many flaws.

Or to put it another way, a person still loving their abusive partner does not make that partner a good one. Because good people are not abusive to their partners. Yes, the person can look past those flaws, but that doesn't make the partner good.

Legion:

Iwata:

Right?

You like Alien's Colonial Marines presumably for the good things you see in it. You are aware it has flaws but they do not stop you liking it, as the things you like stand out more, yes?

The game does have flaws, and a lot of them. So the game is bad because it has so many flaws. That does not stop you from enjoying the good parts, but it does stop it from being a good game, because things that are good do not tend to have many flaws.

Or to put it another way, a person still loving their abusive partner does not make that partner a good one. Because good people are not abusive to their partners. Yes, the person can look past those flaws, but that doesn't make the partner good.

I realize that, I was being farcical. :p

To someone else, though, apparently that means I'm dumb. Oh well...

Iwata:

Legion:

Iwata:

Right?

I realize that, I was being farcical. :p

To someone else, though, apparently that means I'm dumb. Oh well...

Meh, the internet is not always easy to distinguish when it comes to that. I have said so many bizarre things said to me in full seriousness I tend to assume people are being so unless they make it painfully obvious.

scorptatious:
You know, considering that this is a licensed game, I kinda didn't expect for there to be so much backlash over it.

Now, I'm not saying all licensed games are bad, I friggen loved Batman: Arkham City. What I'm saying is from my experience, most licensed games that don't do very well seem to go under the radar in terms of coverage and discussion. No one really talked about that one Spiderman game involving his future counterpart on here from what I saw.

Not really sure why this one is so different. Was it because it's made by the same guys who released Duke Nukem Forever? The demo?

Maybe it's because I've never played any Aliens games, so maybe I'm in the dark on this one?

Alien games have usually been pretty good, but what marks this out is that it's been in and out of development for about 12 years now. And the game is nothing like what we were promised 10 years ago. I wouldn't blame Gearbox for the state of this game or Duke Nukem Forever; in both they mostly only did the work for the multiplayer.

cschraer:
the multiplayer is the best Aliens multiplayer that I've seen.

*Punches cschraer in the face*

Go play Aliens versus Predator 2 and tell me what the best Aliens Multiplayer is.

Also, one of the main reasons people hate the game is the completely and irreparably broken AI. No amount of patches will fix that. I am terrible at shooters, yet I still beat the game in under 6 hours on the hardest difficulty just walking past bugs left and right or having them just stand there doing nothing while I am two feet away from their face.

cschraer:

Sorry, but as far as I can remember only one of the Alien films heavily features marines, and even that one focuses more on Ripley (whom I recall was only there in an advisory capacity) and her relationship with Newt.

Personally, I'd be more interested in an Aliens game done in a survival horror style where you have to make your way through a ship using hand made weapons (aerosol and a lighter, for example) to drive away a single alien that is constantly pursuing you and that actually makes use of how fucking creepy Giger's Xenomorphs actually are, instead of another really dark Space Marine romp where you mow down hundreds of the fuckers with a machine gun.

But then, the game I just described wouldn't sell the kind of units this over-hyped rubbish was designed to.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked