Just got myself an android phone, why not recommend me some games that aren't awful?

Flipping through the google play store I'm bereft to find any actual games that don't amount to physics puzzle swipe fest finger pretzel gameplay, or rip offs/remakes of games that work better on the system they were ripped off/remade from, so in the world of scummy microtransaction business models, cash grabs and down right plagiarism that is the mobile games market, are there any gems hiding among the dirt?

to give some examples of the kind of games i'm looking to avoid:
anything bejeweledesque,
angry birds and family,
gyroscope heavy games,
those damn 4 pic 1 word titles,
and anything that amounts to just swiping for days on end.

recommendations away!

Rope Escape

Shadow Cave

Plague Inc

That's all I got, you're extremely picky you know that? tsk tsk.

InvaderTim:
Flipping through the google play store I'm bereft to find any actual games that don't amount to physics puzzle swipe fest finger pretzel gameplay, or rip offs/remakes of games that work better on the system they were ripped off/remade from, so in the world of scummy microtransaction business models, cash grabs and down right plagiarism that is the mobile games market, are there any gems hiding among the dirt?

to give some examples of the kind of games i'm looking to avoid:
anything bejeweledesque,
angry birds and family,
gyroscope heavy games,
those damn 4 pic 1 word titles,
and anything that amounts to just swiping for days on end.

recommendations away!

Knights of Pen & Paper

9th dawn

also the bards tale slighty works better on android than it did on the ps2

Where's My Water?
Lock'n'Roll
Plants vs. Zombies
Peggle
Chuzzle
GalCon

I think I only have one or two, but quite like UnBlock Me (Free). It's a puzzler that tests your spatial awareness to the limits by making you arrange small grids of blocks (that either move vertically or horizontallly) to get the red block out. It's kinda like those puzzles with a grid of 3x3 or 4x4 tiles, but with one tile missing, that you rearrange to make a picture.

try out the indie humble bundle for android.

I've been playing Fun Run and that game is addicting. Multiplayer death race ftw!

How about you get yourself

Well you've got the entire gameboy, gameboy color, gameboy advance, nintendo, super nintentdo, and Playstation libraries to choose from for entertainment thanks to emulators. But if you're looking for something more officially android, may I suggest:

The Bard's Tale - While it is a port from the classic pc game it's all high quality and the touch screen controls work very well.

Organ Trail - Oregon Trail, but with zombies. Need I say more?

Grand Theft Auto III and Vice City - Again, needs no explanation, although Vice City hasn't been brought to every android platform yet. As in, I can get it for my phone, but it's unavailable on my android tablet.

Eufloria - An awesome, yet simple, touch based RTSish, with excellent art and sound.

And as someone else mentioned, the Humble Android Bundle is a good way to go for awesome indie games.

EDIT: Also Monsters Ate My Homework is a fun/frustrating physics-based shooting gallery.

Yggdraz0r:

Interesting.. I'd say no for the emulator, but yes for the games, unless you can come up with a legal way of getting SNES ROMs onto a Smartphone, I'd not mention it :)

Alfador_VII:

Yggdraz0r:

Interesting.. I'd say no for the emulator, but yes for the games, unless you can come up with a legal way of getting SNES ROMs onto a Smartphone, I'd not mention it :)

Check the post above yours :P.

Yggdraz0r:

Alfador_VII:

Yggdraz0r:

Check the post above yours :P.

Heh, it was posted while I was writing mine. Emulators are a very grey area, in that they're absolutely fine themselves, but the games you play on them... less so

The android version of Need for Speed Most Wanted is pretty fun. Also Dead Space and Mass Effect Infiltrator.

It's not a game but for utterly useless yet nerdgasmingly good fun, the Aliens motion tracker app.

Preacher zer0:
It's not a game but for utterly useless yet nerdgasmingly good fun, the Aliens motion tracker app.

too soon, man. too soon.

I got Organ Trail for my phone when I got it. I found it on Steam greenlight originally.

It's pretty funny, my roommate got bit by a zombie, so I put him down by shooting him in the balls.

Here's a video for it. It's not free, but it was worth it's price.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kPob1KAQYg

Gameboy advanced emulator. Pokemon ruby, saphire, pearl ..whatever the 3rd gen was called*

But only if you have the original game

I'd recommend jetpack joyride and rope 'n fly 3. Great, free games. Tonnes of fun. I've had loads of fun with them.

there are some great rpg games on android.like..Inotia 3, Symphony of Eternity,Eve of Genesis, etc
also some really good puzzle games like Cut the Rope and Where's My Water..also there are a lot of other console games you can play by using emulator but since that is kinda illegal i wont say anything more..

Plague Inc. Gets my recommendations too, and theres a tower defense game called 'fantasy defense' that i'm a bit addicted to.

Then theres Anomaly Warzone Earth. The Phone versions a bit different from the PC on and i find it enjoyable and of course Cogs (which yes is a slidy puzzle game, but an exceptionally fun one)

Danmaku Death, it's Touhou for you phone. Even better yet it's free.

I'll add myself to the growing ranks of Plague Inc. supporters.

My other suggestions

Stair Dismount
Hill Climb Racing
Shellrazer
Bubble Blast

And if you happen to have grown up in the era of carrying a Digimon, Vpet - Virtual Pet is pretty good too. It simulates up to four devices and has the first six generations. You can even have them battle each other locally or over the net.

If I remember correctly, Metal Slug 3 is avaiable for android (and iOS) phones. Only downside is I hear you only get 6 continues to work with

Minesweeper. Just plain minesweeper.

Zookeeper Battle, maybe? Steep learning curve, but still, worth a try.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNoVZnQYmFw

army of darkness defense is nicely balanced and you can beat it without buying any of the ingame currency for real money.

I'll add to the Plague Inc love. You create a disease and try to infect and kill everyone on the planet before they discover a cure.

My favourite has been Hill Climb Racing. Its a side view dirt bike game with lots of replay value and upgrades... and its free.

Most likely been said but "Serect of Mana" is aviaible with updated sprites.

Scrambled Net is also a nice little game.

Try Cyber Knight

You can download the trial for free and it is a good deal of fun

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked