DmC, should I get it?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Having never really played the rest of the franchise because I am not all that into 3rd person spectacle fighters, played a few but they are near the bottom of my list when it comes to "go to" genres and having no real attachment to the older games and characters would I like this game?

The fighting seems simple so the learning curve isn't all that great it seems suited for someone who has little experience of the genre. What makes me interested in the game is the cool looking levels and the great soundtrack, the story doesn't seem to bad either as its basically They Live with Daemons.

So as a game in its own right, not a Devil May Cry game would it suit a newbie to the genre. I am asking and being cautious because I am already £60 in the hole this month with A:CM and Bioshock: Infinite so its a bit risky getting something I might not like.

Edit,

It's a decent game, but I'd wait for a price drop, meself. Especially if you're not all that into the genre as it doesn't do anything spectacularly or differently, really.

Still, if you see it on sale somewhere, it's a decent game. Good bit of fun.

I liked it a lot. Really fun, really fluid, and challenging while not being punishingly difficult on the higher difficulty settings. The story is alright to go through the first time, far more serious than the previous DMC games but still interesting enough. Going through again on higher difficulties you can just skip all of the cut-scenes though.

It's got a great art direction and the platforming doesn't break up the action as badly as a lot of other spectacle fighting games. The soundtrack is... well, it's Combichrist. They mixed it well enough that it's background noise through most of the fights, and gives you a sufficiently badass feeling. There's one level in particular that really ramps up the volume, and it suits it perfectly.

I'm not really a fan of spectacle fighters either, but I've put 37 hours into DmC, so take from that what you will.

I'd wait for a price drop, personally.

I beat it once on Demon Hunter, but unlike other Devil May Cry games, I've just not had the drive to go back and beat it on a harder difficulty.

in terms of hack and slashers, it's not all that good. There are better options such as the DMC HD Collection, DMC4, Ninja Gaiden Black and Ninja Gaiden 2, the God of War series, Bayonetta, and Metal Gear Rising. If you MUST play it just wait for a price drop which probably won't take long

IMO it is a ok game but a bad Devil May Cry game. I got SSS! without much difficulty and you no longer need to change combos to get a better stylish rank as it is now based on damage wich takes alot of the challange out of it. I did not hate most of the new characters but I did not like them either. I disliked the new Dante and Vergil and no not because of the hair.

So I would either rent it or wait for the price to drop. In the end I only payed £4 for it as I got it pre owned for £32 and then traded it in for £28 and I still think it was a waste of £4.

Play the demo first, if you like it then yes, get it. If not then not get it, simple as that.

Mediocre game on it's own, but a bad as fuck DMC game.
The combat is nowhere near the shining diamond that is DMC3 as most of the PR claims it to be.
While a first playthrough may leave a good impression, this one impression is a deceiving one.
A DMC game is built with subsequent playthroughs in mind with the unlockable difficulties eing the primary focus of these.
While the levels may look pretty to some(imo they give me eye cancer with all that bloom and flashing)
They're a pain to play through again. Reason for that is that the levels arent designed to be played through again.
Most of the levels have scripted platforming and cinematic sequences. They maybe good for the first time but simply energy draining for multiple times. Some levels have entire unskippable tutorial sections for basic mechanics such as the angel glide. Others have annoying gimmicks such as timed battles and damaing floor panels(nightclub level).
The difficulty are also not what they aim to be. In fact the AI never seems to change no matter what difficulty is set.
No new attacks, no new patterns, this is even true for the bosses. In short the only thing the difficulties are more HP chunks to the enemies and new enemy placement which is obsolete because no new tactics must be used to defeat those and most enemies cn be exploited in such ridiculous ways its not even funny.
More so the higher difficulties likes to throw sub-bosses like dream runner or the witch at you.
sad thing is they are not hard but simply a chore to defeat.
Dreamrunners design is incosistent, he is able to parry you, reflect your projectiles and avoid environmental death.
But the thing is he can parry you at anytime, not just while idle. Even if you catch him wide open or even parry his own attack he can still parry and counter you the moment after. And that exact counter seems to be based of a dice throw.

If we look at DMC3 the higher difficulties gave every enemy something new to make players adapt new tactics.
Hell Lusts for example were easily dodged by jumping up since they could onl lunge forward on lower difficulties.
However the higher difficultiesgave them an uppercut slash which can hurt you in the air which makes evasive jump no longer a safe option.
Cerberus, the first real boss, would start to delay his Ice Shots to trick the player into dodging.
However nothing similiar can be found in DmC

Aiddon:
in terms of hack and slashers, it's not all that good. There are better options such as the DMC HD Collection, DMC4, Ninja Gaiden Black and Ninja Gaiden 2, the God of War series, Bayonetta, and Metal Gear Rising. If you MUST play it just wait for a price drop which probably won't take long

This a thousand times. There are plenty of solid and less expensive spectacle fighters out there - you don't need to waste your time and money on something as insulting to your intelligence, the DMC series, and the genre as the new DMC.

I freaking loved the game. I could recommend the game solely for its badass visual flair and generally colourful aesthetic. The combat is awesome, I really liked the story and the character redesigns weren't too bad. Vergil's look is still a little off though, the silly hat ruins it XD

I liked the platforming, something the old DMCs tried to do occasionally but they were really bad. The movement was never designed around jumping puzzles and it showed.

The soundtrack is good but not anything I would download to listen to outside the game though. It fits the game really well.

Oh and the final boss fight is AMAZING.

I never cared for the old DMC games really. I bought the HD collection just to see what the fuck everyone was raging about and my god, some of the gameplay decisions were baffling. Why are there endless fetch key, open door sections in a freaking hack and slash game? DMC4 was cool and all but the backtracking was horrible and that castle level early on almost made me quit entirely because it was so boring.

I only finished DMC3 because DMC1 was too stiff and DMC2 is apparently garbage and not worth anyone's time. I only finished DMC3 because I love Vergil. If it wasn't for the three Vergil boss fights I would have never finished DMC3 either.

have tried DmC and Metal Gear Rising.. go for Metal Gear rising.. also.. epic soundtrack.. get both.. and i dont regret paying fullprice for both

Payed full price for this and I think it was worth every penny. Bloody Palace has just been released too (free DLC) and Vergil's Downfall is out soon too. Looking forward to playing all of the above.

Love the game, very fun chaining combos and juggling enemies with Angel and Deamon weapons. Boss fights were unfortunately not very challenging (even on Hell or Hell difficulty) as once you learn their attack patterns then you have them by the short ones.

Prefer it to DMC4 but not as good as DMC3 though.

Well the game is fine it's just not a DMC game but since you never played them this won't matter, still there are plenty of other better hack&slashers out there that come cheaper.

I haven't played Devil may Cry Devil May Cry but from what I've seen of the gameplay it doesn't seem to be that great. The game does look pretty, though. As already mentioned, there is a decent amount of great spectacle fighters which probably provide a better value for money (unless you only don't own any consoles, in which case you're stuck with DMC4, a crappy port of DMC3 and a few mediocre titles like Ninja Blade).
I'd say you're better off waiting for a discount if you want to get the game.

If the previous games seemed too intimidating to you and you are REALLY looking to get in the genre, check it out. Easy gameplay, simplified controls, modern story and some artsy graphics. It is so obvious that It is made specificly for players who are new to the genre.

Not for the veterans that is for sure.

captcha:the big easy.

Now you are just being nasty.

It's no Bayonetta or DMC3 but it's still really good. The combat is way too simple but the level design is just amazing... Try not to take the story too seriously though, picture it as a Saints Row version of DMC.

Try and get it on PC and when it's around 40$. 60fps makes a big difference and this is coming from somebody who's not even a PC gamer. Ooh and make sure you use a gamepad. I'm playing it with KB+M and it's quite crappy.

sure, it's not as bad as it was made out to be. it's flawed, sure, there are better hack an slashers, of course (mostly prior DMC games, no God of War is not better then DmC, only DMC game GoW is better then is 2) but the game it self is soild, if not simplified.

also its rather easy compared to other entry's, but I found this version of Dante and Virgil better then the only versions (yeah, I said it, come at me)

Id say rent it dont buy.Its fun (awesome bosses, easy to master combos) so its perfect for newbies, but doesnt have much replayablity outside of difficulty.In one play through you will have all the skills maxed out. Plus the Wig dlc thats like 5 dollars if you did play the previous games. Devil may cry collection is on the cheap now and half the price so ull be geting 3 hack and slashers.
Dmc is fun but not worth 60.

Id say rent it dont buy.Its fun (awesome bosses, easy to master combos) so its perfect for newbies, but doesnt have much replayablity outside of difficulty.In one play through you will have all the skills maxed out. Plus the Wig dlc thats like 5 dollars if you did play the previous games. Devil may cry collection is on the cheap now and half the price so ull be geting 3 hack and slashers.
Dmc is fun but not worth 60.

It is a lot of fun. You can get it here for less than $20. So worth it.

Why don't you try out Devil May cry 4? It's like £6 at computer exchange (UK)

I was really considering getting this game, but then I played the demo for Metal Gear Rising, and immediately left to pre-order it
its extremely kick ass. it has a great soundtrack, a never seen before cutting engine, and really good bosses
it is kind of short though, the first play through taking anywhere from 7-10 hours. afterwords they load you up with overpowered crap and lets you destroy that boss who gave you trouble the first time around.
great game, would recommend!

Its not a bad game. never played the earlier ones but i got this one and enjoyed it. It won'y make my top five games of all time...its really short and pretty easy so unless your planning on 100%ing the game you might want to wait for the price to go down

Lunar Templar:
I found this version of Dante and Virgil better then the only versions (yeah, I said it, come at me)

I'LL COME AT YOU!!!

To say that I agree. I found it refreshing to have Dante and Vergil as actual characters rather than anime clichés.

anthony87:

Lunar Templar:
I found this version of Dante and Virgil better then the only versions (yeah, I said it, come at me)

I'LL COME AT YOU!!!

To say that I agree. I found it refreshing to have Dante and Vergil as actual characters rather than anime clichés.

Okay... You guys asked for it LET'S GO... Have a nice cup of tea and discuss this further, we seen to agree on this matter when most people seem to disagree.
I always thought that Dante was a bit too Mary Sue and annoying.

"Oh you get shot in the head by the girl who's life you just save? Maybe this wouldn't had happen if just put her on the ground instead of shaking her around and wisecracking, you fucking prick."

Yeah, new Dante is a prick also, but at least he was some doubt and some conflict to make me relate to him a bit more.
Plus new Dante reminded of Yusuke in Yu Yu Hakusho, very awesome anime that I fucking love and I hate anime.

anthony87:

Lunar Templar:

I'LL COME AT YOU!!!

The part I found the most appealing was unlike DMC3 that they seemed to like each other, Virgil having actually been looking for Dante for the seeming sake of having his brother back (as well as all the other stuff). It made the falling out between them more meaningful then in 3, where they just didn't seem to like each other much to begin with.

Diablo2000:

Okay... You guys asked for it LET'S GO... Have a nice cup of tea and discuss this further, we seen to agree on this matter when most people seem to disagree.
I always thought that Dante was a bit too Mary Sue and annoying.

"Oh you get shot in the head by the girl who's life you just save? Maybe this wouldn't had happen if just put her on the ground instead of shaking her around and wisecracking, you fucking prick."

Yeah, new Dante is a prick also, but at least he was some doubt and some conflict to make me relate to him a bit more.
Plus new Dante reminded of Yusuke in Yu Yu Hakusho, very awesome anime that I fucking love and I hate anime.

I'd have never thought to compare him to Yusuke, but I call totally see it now that you mention it, good call (and yes Yu Yu Hakusho is awesome :D)

I'd say yes

I havnt gotten very far in but I'm having so much fun with it.....its a bit silly and not exactly subtle but if your not a fan of the orginal I'd say go for it...I kind of like its crazy art direction

Yes,Yes,Yes,Yes,and a million more times Yes.

It's got a good story, good characters, solid fun combat, great art direction, great level design, and it's soundtrack is fantastic.

I really enjoyed it and I don't often like these hack and slash style action games, but DMC:Devil May Cry was definitely very good and very enjoyable.
Worth 60 bucks, no doubt, at least for me.

It's a good entry level... whatever you call this kind of game, I'd get it, and if you like it, get the DMC HD collection

Oh hell yes. It's got awesome combat that's as much fun to watch as it is to play. The visuals are fantastic, and the creatures range from bizarre to genuinely freaky. And while the story is pretty simple, but it's presented excellently and the characters moving it forward are interesting and enjoyable to watch. Totally recommend it.

The Wykydtron:

I never cared for the old DMC games really. I bought the HD collection just to see what the fuck everyone was raging about and my god, some of the gameplay decisions were baffling. Why are there endless fetch key, open door sections in a freaking hack and slash game? DMC4 was cool and all but the backtracking was horrible and that castle level early on almost made me quit entirely because it was so boring.

I only finished DMC3 because DMC1 was too stiff and DMC2 is apparently garbage and not worth anyone's time. I only finished DMC3 because I love Vergil. If it wasn't for the three Vergil boss fights I would have never finished DMC3 either.

Do you recommend just skipping the others and just playing DMC3? I got the HD collection too after playing DmC, but I found the first game really slow and kinda repetitive. I've heard it only gets worse in DMC2, but that 3 is supposed to be the best of the original series. Do you miss anything just skipping to 3?

I would get it, just wait for a price drop.

I found the levels to be beautiful, and although many people complained about the story, I really enjoyed it. "Doesn't fit Dante's origin story". And? It's a reboot, just take it for what it is and try to enjoy a new ride. Although I did HATE Virgil in the game (he was destroyed from his previous self in the other games) I didn't mind Dante's character change. He was an ass in the beginning, and as the game progressed like any good protagonist he began to change and develop.

The battle system was a little challenging. Now the game itself on normal mode is piss easy so that helped, but the battle system itself was annoying to get used to. so many buttons for different things had me often confused and making multiple mistakes.

The boss battles are also rather disappointing. One or two were fun, but the others were very simple and I was able to defeat in only a few minutes.

Go try it out! I promise you wont be disappointed.

anthony87:

Lunar Templar:

I'LL COME AT YOU!!!

I was looking forward to this game's take on Dante and Vergil. In the end, all I can say is: I'll take 2 'anime clichés' over 2 'almost shakespearian' dull characters with nothing to say no motivations.

OP: Without going further into my criticisms into this game (That you likely won't even care about since you're not a fan of this genre) I can say that this game might suit you.

It's rather ease-of-access and complete story reboot should be appealing to anyone who hasn't been into the franchise, or been a fan of spectacle fighters. The fighting system itself is fairly decent, and I can see it being engaging and rewarding for you.

The real question is, whether or not this game is worth the price tag to you? Are the type of person that will play this game through once, and never again? (I've gone through the game on all advanced difficulty levels and have just about 30 hours into it) My first time playing through the game, it was about 7 hours long.

So if you will only play this game once, I'll hold off until a price fall or stick to a rental.

Mcoffey:
Oh hell yes. It's got awesome combat that's as much fun to watch as it is to play. The visuals are fantastic, and the creatures range from bizarre to genuinely freaky. And while the story is pretty simple, but it's presented excellently and the characters moving it forward are interesting and enjoyable to watch. Totally recommend it.

The Wykydtron:

Do you recommend just skipping the others and just playing DMC3? I got the HD collection too after playing DmC, but I found the first game really slow and kinda repetitive. I've heard it only gets worse in DMC2, but that 3 is supposed to be the best of the original series. Do you miss anything just skipping to 3?

You miss nothing going to 3 because 3 is a prequel to the first two games. It's partly why people didn't like DMC2, Dante got old and jaded, wasn't making jokes and was just generally super serious. That's what I hear anyway, and i've heard people go on about the guns being ridiculously good in DMC2.

DMC3 has this younger Dante rolling around never being serious and insulting every boss and/or character he comes across which is a good thing I suppose. It has decent combat even though it retains the fetch key, open door elements for some reason. I still think if it wasn't for the interesting relationship between Dante and Vergil, DMC3 would have been nothing short of awful. Vergil, the other good boss fights and the occasional funny line from Dante carries the game as far as i'm concerned.

Wait for price drop

if you like a generic hack/slash game with very pretty world design it's for you

If you care about the main character and story dont, It's written by a 3 year old (all DMC's were). If you want to mash buttons, Juggle enemies and look at pretty stuff, its a pretty fun game.

I had fun.

Mcoffey:

Quite the opposite actually, it is a prequel and the first game in the storyline.

DMC3>DMC1>DMC4>DMC2

I know, it's a weird timeline.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked