TES4Oblivion, Trying to decide.

Okay this is my third play through, I REALLY want to finish it this time, but GOD it feels like a forest walking simulator than an Action RPG, Or hell even an RPG.

SO I've Decided to try something interesting, A screenshot style Lets play, Atleast this time I'll probably finish the damn game.

What I'm trying to decide is where to put the LP, I'm not sure if escapists lets Screenshot LPs, or not.

SO yea....Gonna actually try and finish the damn game hopefully, the immersion doesn't fracture into tiny peices again, where Martin Spetim arrests me after the battle of Kerrat for the insanely DENSE AI helpers to step infront of me mid swing. ((Ref Zero Punctuation's review for what immersion is,))

Hmm. I don't really see the point of trying to finish it if you don't enjoy it. The game doesn't really get any better so it would be a waste of your time

Use fast travel if you don't like walking through the forests. Really though, what's the point of playing a game you don't enjoy?

BTW, It is an RPG, not a walking simulator. It's more of an RPG than it's successor.

Crono1973:
It's more of an RPG than it's successor.

What does that even mean? Like, can you define that? Always wondered what people mean by that.

I want to ENJOY the game, I really do, but everytime I start something bothers me. I can't put my finger on what though. And I always quit around the same part, right after the battle of Kavatch. I think the AI in that battle REALLY just pisses me off to no end.

WoW Killer:

Crono1973:

What does that even mean? Like, can you define that? Always wondered what people mean by that.

Just google it, I would really rather not get into a Skyrim debate.

https://www.google.com/search?q=why+skyrim+isn%27t+an+rpg&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

Crono1973:

WoW Killer:

Crono1973:

https://www.google.com/search?q=why+skyrim+isn%27t+an+rpg&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

I googled it. All I found were weak agruements that were based on personal opinions. Let's just face it. 'RPG' is one of the least defined genre's in the gaming industry. Where I personally think that companies cross the line is when I see games like XCom (tactical shooter), or Zelda (action/adventure) labelled as an RPG.

Captcha: Vogon poetry. (yay HGttG!)

Yeah, I think Oblivion's where I first got the habit of keeping one or two backup saves, whether it was because of glitches or finicky A.I.
I wouldn't recommend forcing yourself to play if you can't get into it, but if you're determined there could be a few interesting quest lines to find.

Oblivion gates will become a chore before you're done though. No shame in tuning down the difficulty if the Scamp's level scaling starts making them into a time-sink.

its frankly one of the hardest rpgs to complete i have every played. ive only done it once yet i have a couple of thousand hours in modded oblivion

Crono1973:
Just google it

Or, maybe you could define 'RPG' for me? Because you're using it like it's a well defined term.

sanquin:

Crono1973:

WoW Killer:

I googled it. All I found were weak agruements that were based on personal opinions. Let's just face it. 'RPG' is one of the least defined genre's in the gaming industry. Where I personally think that companies cross the line is when I see games like XCom (tactical shooter), or Zelda (action/adventure) labelled as an RPG.

See this is why I didn't want to get into another Skyrim debate.

WoW Killer:

Crono1973:
Just google it

Or, maybe you could define 'RPG' for me? Because you're using it like it's a well defined term.

Another nonsensical debate.

If I said that attributes makes an RPG you would start talking about roleplaying and then we would move on to why Mario isn't an RPG game even though you play a role in Mario games.

In my opinion Skyrim is barely an RPG and much less an RPG than Morrowind or Oblivion. You may disagree and frankly I don't give a shit. You see, this debate has been had too many times already.

If you don't enjoy the main quest (which to be honest isn't the best) just play the guild storylines. They are all pretty good, except maybe the fighters guild. If that doesn't do it for you, stop playing...no one is making you play.

minispike47:
If you don't enjoy the main quest (which to be honest isn't the best) just play the guild storylines. They are all pretty good, except maybe the fighters guild. If that doesn't do it for you, stop playing...no one is making you play.

This. To this day I haven't finished the main quest, but the thieves guild and dark brotherhood are just so much fun.
Also mods.

JohnReaper:
Okay this is my third play through, I REALLY want to finish it this time, but GOD it feels like a forest walking simulator than an Action RPG, Or hell even an RPG.

SO I've Decided to try something interesting, A screenshot style Lets play, Atleast this time I'll probably finish the damn game.

What I'm trying to decide is where to put the LP, I'm not sure if escapists lets Screenshot LPs, or not.

SO yea....Gonna actually try and finish the damn game hopefully, the immersion doesn't fracture into tiny peices again, where Martin Spetim arrests me after the battle of Kerrat for the insanely DENSE AI helpers to step infront of me mid swing. ((Ref Zero Punctuation's review for what immersion is,))

Yes screen shot LPs are allowed on the escapist, I have two bookmarked. I loved Oblivion and have logged in over 300 hours.

Just remember to complete the game at 100% you need to close at least 30 oblivion gates before reaching the triforce of gates.Also leave the main quest for last since it is unintresting compared to guild quest,daedra shrines,random rumors.
A great game till this era but gets all the hate that other ES titles should be getting *cough*Skyrim*cough*

A screenshot LP may actually help you find that missing spark to the game. I always got caught up playing Oblivion because of what I'd call Story-Telling "implications." Since you're really only limited to the story you'd like to tell, it's easy to try and do everything all at once instead of creating your own character theme, arc, and development.

Looking at the game as a series of story-boards (ala Screen Shots) may help reign in those wandering desires and give you a more solid story to tell.

Also, I completely agree with the K'vatch battle. That entire segment was draining and a bit awkward; it improves greatly afterwards, however, with some very cool dungeons that are a bit richer than the scattered exploration ones. My recommendation is to also avoid random Oblivion Gates -- the game throws more than enough of them at you through the story line to get cool enchants for your equipment. (Unless you like them, personally I found those to be the part I disliked through the game)

Crono1973:
Use fast travel if you don't like walking through the forests. Really though, what's the point of playing a game you don't enjoy?

BTW, It is an RPG, not a walking simulator. It's more of an RPG than it's successor.

I'd say perks add more playstyle customization than just having stats you can grind up.

Souplex:

Crono1973:

I'd say perks add more playstyle customization than just having stats you can grind up.

How is that? How are PRESET perks more customizable than stats that you directly control?

Crono1973:
You may disagree and frankly I don't give a shit. You see, this debate has been had too many times already.

If you're just going to post here about how you don't want to have a debate, yet passive aggressively comment against it, why did you post on this topic in the first place? There's dozens of other threads to pay attention to, and comment on, why come here, and post, and respond a number of times to the point where you take up over 20% of the thread at the current moment. Not to mention you then asking questions to people quoting you. If you don't want to get into a debate or discussion on something, don't respond to either the thread or the people. It's the internet. It's not like people are going to bug you for a response on things like this. Either stick around, make a point(s) on your opinion instead of dismissing everything else people are saying or asking, or leave the thread alone. Continuing this makes you seem like a bit of a hypocrite, or someone who just NEEDS to have the last word no matter what the statement is when you keep saying how much you want to avoid the topic.

And to the OP, just play something you like. I highly doubt that doing something like this would help you get through it. All it will do is demand more of your time to put into it. Not only do you have to play the game through now, but now you have to take screen caps for it, write for it, possibly replay parts to get better screen caps, and lengthening the experience considerably. If you're committed to the idea though, at least run your posts through a spell check first, tighten up your grammar and structure, reread everything a couple times, and then send it off for someone else to read and review it quick before posting, and do any further edits that they suggest.

Chicago Ted:

Crono1973:
You may disagree and frankly I don't give a shit. You see, this debate has been had too many times already.

If you're just going to post here about how you don't want to have a debate, yet passive aggressively comment against it, why did you post on this topic in the first place? There's dozens of other threads to pay attention to, and comment on, why come here, and post, and respond a number of times to the point where you take up over 20% of the thread at the current moment. Not to mention you then asking questions to people quoting you. If you don't want to get into a debate or discussion on something, don't respond to either the thread or the people. It's the internet. It's not like people are going to bug you for a response on things like this. Either stick around, make a point(s) on your opinion instead of dismissing everything else people are saying or asking, or leave the thread alone. Continuing this makes you seem like a bit of a hypocrite, or someone who just NEEDS to have the last word no matter what the statement is when you keep saying how much you want to avoid the topic.

And to the OP, just play something you like. I highly doubt that doing something like this would help you get through it. All it will do is demand more of your time to put into it. Not only do you have to play the game through now, but now you have to take screen caps for it, write for it, possibly replay parts to get better screen caps, and lengthening the experience considerably. If you're committed to the idea though, at least run your posts through a spell check first, tighten up your grammar and structure, reread everything a couple times, and then send it off for someone else to read and review it quick before posting, and do any further edits that they suggest.

Having an opinion doesn't mean I want to debate it, nor should a debate be required just because someone has an opinion.

You want RPG, OP? Go play Dark Souls, AKA a good nice Action RPG. :-P

If you don't like the game, are you sure you can sit through it again? If the answer's no, just pick another game.

sanquin:

Crono1973:

WoW Killer:

Oh freddled gruntbuggly, thy micturations are to me as plurdled gabbleblotchits on a lurgid bee. Groop I implore thee, my foonting turlingdromes. And hooptiously drangle me with crinkly bindlewurdles, or I will rend thee in the gobberwarts with my blurglecruncheon: see if I don't!

Crono1973:

Having an opinion doesn't mean I want to debate it, nor should a debate be required just because someone has an opinion.

Yes, but while you originally started with that, you've come back repeatedly to either respond or ask questions to others on the topic. If you don't care to discuss or debate the topic in more detail, why are you returning to it. Hell, the only reason I saw this thread in the first place was due to your posting bumping the thread up on my feed. If you just let it rest, you wouldn't be having this go any further than just having stated an opinion.

Have your opinion, ain't been trying to sway you on it, just trying to figure out what exactly you're wanting to accomplish by continuing this if you're not going to provide discussion or insight.

Chicago Ted:

Crono1973:

Yes, but while you originally started with that, you've come back repeatedly to either respond or ask questions to others on the topic. If you don't care to discuss or debate the topic in more detail, why are you returning to it. Hell, the only reason I saw this thread in the first place was due to your posting bumping the thread up on my feed. If you just let it rest, you wouldn't be having this go any further than just having stated an opinion.

Have your opinion, ain't been trying to sway you on it, just trying to figure out what exactly you're wanting to accomplish by continuing this if you're not going to provide discussion or insight.

People quote me so I get a notification. Sometimes I respond to them and sometimes I don't. How about you worry less about what I am doing and more about your own posts?

Crono1973:

Souplex:

Crono1973:

How is that? How are PRESET perks more customizable than stats that you directly control?

Well you control the stats too... the same way as in Oblivion. You just get even more customization by choosing perks. Plus, in Oblivion you had to be confined to 6 main skills. Skyrim lets any skill count towards your level. Sorry I know you said you didn't want a debate but I just don't see how adding perks couldn't add customization. Feel free to tell me why or say nothing at all if you'd rather not continue this discussion that you're bored of already.

Vanilla TES4 is a painful experience indeed.
I played it on the 360 and the PS3 and never finished it.

Played it on the PC, with loads of mods, and I finished the main quest...plus most of the side quests.

Just mod the crap out of it(if pc) that help me beat it although i was a super ninja with overpowered equipment thanks to a cool ninja mod. Also Run Focom mod its a very cool mod compilation that makes the game so much better.

WoW Killer:

Crono1973:
Just google it

Oblivion only half-killed the immersion with it's funky AI, and almost complete Voice-Acting. The quest scripting could be leagues better though, of course.

Skyrim? I'm not going to start ridiculing it or my post will go on forever.

The problem that most people see with it, is that they kill the immersion. Quest dialog conflicts, terrible AI (HI I WORK WITH MY MOM! WE SELL MO'FUCKIN FRUITS AND VEGETABLES Y'ALL C'MON BY OUR SHACK AND BUY SOME SHIT), and a finicky, unbalanced combat system.

Just watch this video, and hopefully you'll start to hate the Casual Gamer like the rest of us. Skyrim isn't a bad game, neither is Oblivion; they're just big let downs - they have a lot of hype but nothing to show for it once it comes out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JweTAhyR4o0

*Sees title, while hearing the oidcast and writing his journal in Morrowind*
*Looks at the blabbering*
*Goes to Morrowind folder and runs Morrowind mod checker(Mlox)*
*Has over 150 mods installed and a few hundred retuxtrues*
YEP!

Seriously,the only way you can genuinely enjoy Elder Scrolls 4 is if you spend an entire week of piling up mods of what you want out of the experience, and then find out that they broke the game and now you can't even start.

T3hSource:
*Sees title, while hearing the oidcast and writing his journal in Morrowind*
*Looks at the blabbering*
*Goes to Morrowind folder and runs Morrowind mod checker(Mlox)*
*Has over 150 mods installed and a few hundred retuxtrues*
YEP!

Seriously,the only way you can genuinely enjoy Elder Scrolls 4 is if you spend an entire week of piling up mods of what you want out of the experience, and then find out that they broke the game and now you can't even start.

Yeah I hate that about Oblivion and Skyrim. At least with Morrowind, the modding community has been around long enough to develop its own framework to keep things running smoothly. Modders are aware of conflicts, and will post such conflicts; this mod won't work with this one so don't bother trying. I tend to just use the Morrowind Overhaul, and a couple other select mods; the only downside with Modded Morrowind is the obsession with balancing fps and graphic quality. I can't say how many times I've had to reinstall and start from scratch because I changed a setting in MGEXE and forgot what it was, or a bad ini change.

The modding problems associated with Skyrim and Oblivion are much greater though, very annoying. And, steam? REALLY? STEAM?! Screw you Bethesda, you sold out.

You can find more appeal of the game by modding it.

Altefforr:
Just watch this video

No.

Altefforr:
and hopefully you'll start to hate the Casual Gamer like the rest of us.

Why should we hate people who play games?

Altefforr:
Skyrim isn't a bad game

Cool, I agree.

WoW Killer:

It's less about them 'playing' a game, as it is them buying it. Most developers these days are only doing what will sell the next copy, and make a buck; so that they can do it all over again. The video I linked is about the casualization of the Elder Scrolls series, the author brings up a lot of very good points.

The 'casual' gamer is the root of the problem, because the 'casual' gamer does not care for immersion, and being completely lost in an open-world fantasy game. They simply don't care. All they care about, is some simple bland decision between Stormcloaks or Imperials, and "beating" the game. They simply aren't there to roleplay, they are there for the slaughtering of dragons and bandits.

I'm not going to derail the thread by making this into a discussion about casual gamers, so if you care to understand why most people hate the "casual" gamer and Skyrim/Oblivion, then watch the video. There are hotlinks so that you can skip to the main points of his argument, but listening to the full video is really worth it.

I don't begrudge casual gamers for wanting to play the game, but it's something about dedication to the game is what matters. A character in .hack//sign brought up a very good analogy for this. Every time something bad happened in the game he was playing, he would reset and load a previous save; yet still wondered if the world he left behind was conquered by evil. So, the character stopped doing that and actually gave a hoot for how he played.

WoW Killer:

Altefforr:
Just watch this video

No.

Altefforr:
and hopefully you'll start to hate the Casual Gamer like the rest of us.

Altefforr:
Skyrim isn't a bad game

Cool, I agree.

You're so insightful.

WoW Killer:

Crono1973:

Mostly that in Skyrim, You start out as a blank slate, you're equally good at everything and you're not specialized at all.

In Oblivion, You have base attributes (Strength, Endurance, Willpower, Etc.) Which all contribute (Except for luck) To your Skills (Blade, block, Heavy armor, sneak, Etc.) both in how fast they increase and how potent they are. You Also have your standard Skills, which work the same way as Skyirm.

However, theres also your class. Each Class has 2 Major Attributes and 7 Major skills (Which Both considerably buffs those Skills as well as causes them to increase faster), as well as a specialization (Magic, Combat, or Stealth) that causes any Skill that Falls into one of those categories to increase faster.

Your Race Also Buffs Those stats and attributes further (Dark Elves Gain Fire resistance buffs as well as buffs to blade and conjuration, Nords gain Cold Resistance, Etc)

Sorry for the Essay, but I hope it Helps :)

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked