Recommend me a tactical shooter, something like SWAT 4

Well, after reading about a Kickstarter project that I missed for Takedown, a tactical FPS from the makers of SWAT 4, I got the bug again.

I loved SWAT 4, and should probably replay it, but I want moar. So, I'm looking to the Escapist to recommend the finest FPSes with that slow, tactical pace, realism, depth of planning, etc etc. If you've played the type of game I mean, you know what features I'm looking for.

I know we're going to see a lot of Rainbow Six suggestions, but where do I start in that series? Which ones are the best, and most true to the more hardcore tactical ideals? I did research this, but the internet has no one solid answer for me.

I trust you guys to guide me straight, so go for it.

Well, I bought Rainbow Six 3 Gold on Steam, since it was only 5. Fat lot of good you guys were. :(.

Octorok:
Well, I bought Rainbow Six 3 Gold on Steam, since it was only 5. Fat lot of good you guys were. :(.

Well damn. That was going to be my suggestion, actually. Glad to be of service. :D

Octorok:

Well done. Raven Shield is the best one, certainly the most modern looking. If you find the planning stage a little too rigid try Ghost Recon, just called Ghost Recon nothing else. It does away with the planning stage and makes the unit orders part of the action. I myself prefer this as you can react to situations you didn't anticipate.

:P I was actually going to suggest the original Rainbow 6 for the PC. Tactical/realistic shooter (couple direct shots and your dead, if a team member dies they're out for the rest of the game.)

This is a game that gets so in-depth with it's tactical-ness that you actually get to creat 1-4 different squads for each map and plan out their routes of progression through the level, setting specific doors to wait outside for go-words and such. Really is a lot of fun trying to come up with the perfect strategy and plan of attack to make sure all your boys come home safe.

Voxgizer:

Octorok:

Well damn. That was going to be my suggestion, actually. Glad to be of service. :D

octafish:

Octorok:

Well done. Raven Shield is the best one, certainly the most modern looking. If you find the planning stage a little too rigid try Ghost Recon, just called Ghost Recon nothing else. It does away with the planning stage and makes the unit orders part of the action. I myself prefer this as you can react to situations you didn't anticipate.

You guys suck. Helpful advice telling me I made the right choice AFTER I bought the game XD.

Still, it looks fun. Any other recommendations, aside from Raven Shield/SWAT 4?

Slightly Off-topic- Also, I'm replaying Commandos 1, 2, and 3, since I got them on GOG.

Any of you play those games? Great tactical series.

Anyone who hasn't played them - Commandos 1 + its expansion are 4 dollars. Buy them. It's great value. At that price you get 28 missions, plus a modder is making a 20-mission (he's up to mission 9) expansion for it, that looks really good too.

Octorok:

Voxgizer:

Octorok:

octafish:

Octorok:

You guys suck. Helpful advice telling me I made the right choice AFTER I bought the game XD.

Still, it looks fun. Any other recommendations, aside from Raven Shield/SWAT 4?

Slightly Off-topic- Also, I'm replaying Commandos 1, 2, and 3, since I got them on GOG.

Any of you play those games? Great tactical series.

Anyone who hasn't played them - Commandos 1 + its expansion are 4 dollars. Buy them. It's great value. At that price you get 28 missions, plus a modder is making a 20-mission (he's up to mission 9) expansion for it, that looks really good too.

Better late than never. ;P

I don't really have an experience with the Commandos series. You could try Jagged Alliance. If I remember right, one of them is actually free on GoG.

Rainbow Six 3 onwards, surely? I loved it on the original XBox, has to be better on PC, right?

Swat 3 with the Last Resort mod doesnt look all that bad, and the level design seems more open ended then the claustrophobic Swat 4.

You may have to select in the config of the mod later on to skip cutscenes (otherwise it may crash) and put in the command line "-handsup" if you want to see your own weapon.

Then you have the Rainbow Six games and Ghost Recons. All of them are fun in their own ways (except RS: Lockdown), some more tactical then others.

Hidden and Dangerous 2 is also a cool WW2 game that has some tactical gameplay

KingsGambit:
Rainbow Six 3 onwards, surely? I loved it on the original XBox, has to be better on PC, right?

Other way actually, Raven Shield was the last real Rainbow Six game. Not to say that the Vegas games weren't good games, they just aren't Rainbow.Six style games anymore. Still the best cover based shooter on PC, but not tactical. No one talks about Letdown.

Since Hidden and Dangerous has been outed, I'll go with Brothers in Arms. Much less tactical and realistic but good overwatch style squad commands and an enjoyable WW2 shooter toboot.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here