Games you like that are "uncool" to like.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

Well, all sports games. (Except for golf. How can one possibly enjoy a golf videogame?)
I guess I can go back to the corner with all the dudebros now.

Things that gamers tend to bash? I guess there's Dino D-Day. I know it's not all that great, and from what I understand, the balance was terrible before the patch. But I can't hear your complaining over the sound of me fighting dinosaurs in world war 2.

Things that the average person would consider dorky and uncool? Take a look at my steam library, which you can get to from my profile if you're so inclined. The closest to cool I've got on there would probably be the two Bioshock games. The closest to cool I've played in the last six months would probably be TF2, and let me tell you, non-PC gamers have no idea what TF2 is these days. My current dorky pleasure is FTL, which is a lot of fun.

As for games with things like always online DRM or ridiculously exploitative DLC, I don't own any, largely because I'm one of the ones frothing at the mouth about how horrible that crap is. I vote with my wallet. Do you?

Mass Effect 3

The ending wasn't that bad, the extended cut did improve it and the journey from Mass Effect to Mass Effect 3 is one of the best in all of gaming (and perfectly celebrated by the Citadel DLC).

Star Trek games, I have such a soft spot for them all.

KillaBC:

..... Star Trek Voyager: Elite Force anyone?

WoW

Sure I quit for a year, but that was merely caused by overexposure (playing for 5 years does that to you). I still see it as a vastly superior game to any other mmo in the market, even with the apparent "ridiculousness" of Pandaren (seriously, davy jones' purple spacegoat offspring aren't ridiculous but anthropomorphic pandas are?) and the quest and lore designs are absolutely amazing in MoP.

Also Sim City: Societies

Halo 3 is, and will always be, one of my favorite games of all time. Also, Mass Effect 3 is a fucking awesome game.

I guess that's all I've got.

Duke Nukem Forever

Don't look at me like that.

I'm a huge Nintendo fan

I also really like ME3, including it's ending.

And I have yet to play a 3D Sonic game I haven't enjoyed.

TheDrunkNinja:

KillaBC:

It wasn't bad but I much prefer the Academy and Starfleet Command series.

The Halo Series

MW2

TES IV: Oblivion

DOOM has always seemed terrible to me

Morrowind is nearly unplayable IMO

And honestly...I dont care. Its a subjective medium, so no one else gets to choose what I enjoy

Hyena Slade:
Indigo Prophecy. yes, the game took a complete 180 from the amazing first half and literally turned into the matrix, but even despite that I really enjoyed it, despite most hating it. The game being solely quicktime events didn't help, but I'll forgive that cause it introduced me to the band 'Theory of a Deadman'.

That game was awesome, though it was called Fahrenheit when I bought it for some reason, must have been a regional thing. It had a really movie feel to it and a cracking story :).

alice: madness returns i sorta hated and liked at the same time

also all call of duty's i dont understand why no one else likes them

CT862:
Mass Effect 3

The ending wasn't that bad, the extended cut did improve it and the journey from Mass Effect to Mass Effect 3 is one of the best in all of gaming (and perfectly celebrated by the Citadel DLC).

I don't think there has been a game series that has held my attention quite like that series, absolutely amazing. I don't think a gaming universe has ever seemed so real to me, sci-Fi games have come a long way since I used to play Space Harrier on my Atari ST.

Have to admit, I pretend the ending was the reaper boss fight though :D

APLovecraft:
alice: madness returns i sorta hated and liked at the same time

also all call of duty's i dont understand why no one else likes them

People do like the Call of Duty games, they sell millions, they are one of the best selling games around. I think they are really good, but hey, its cool to hate popular things so you can become popular with people who also hate popular things. What I want to know is when will the haters start hating themselves because it is cool?

If I remember correctly, among Final Fantasy fans it's pretty uncommon for people to like Dirge of Cerberus -Final Fantasy VII-. And it only got middling reviews to boot.

But I thought it was pretty good.

kyosai7:

Also, I friggin LOVED Too Human. REALLY underrated game.

Troll detected!

I'm kidding of course (please dont ban me) *hides*

Seriously though I cannot fathom how you can possibly think it is underrated. I think it's one of the few games that actually warrants the shittonne of bile yahtzee spewed at it.

Absolutely filled with dreadful design choices.

OT: WoW?

Alpha Protocol. Obsidian's buggiest release yet, but still has damn good writing.

Also... KOTOR 2.

LA Noire. Renaming coax and force to truth and doubt respectively was an awful idea, but it was still a fun and engaging game. No idea why it keeps getting called a disappointment.

l0ckd0wn:

Faxanadu for NES:

You just ruined my childhood. What do you mean its uncool to like Faxanadu. I love that game and still play it. Something about that game made it unique and very enjoyable.

KillaBC:

TheDrunkNinja:

KillaBC:

It wasn't bad but I much prefer the Academy and Starfleet Command series.

Ever play Deep Space Nine: The Fallen? It kind of reminds me of Metroid Prime, except it's in third instead of first person.

Starfleet Academy was also a lot of fun, I spent way too much time on both the SNES and the 32X version when I first discovered emulators. The 32X version in particular was nice, a great example of the kind of unused potential that addon had.

I got two of em.

Starfox Assault on the gamecube. It got really bad reviews, mostly complaining about the on-foot sections. I love it for it's great B-movie story, and surprisingly good dialogue. That and it's one of the few first party Nintendo games with real voice acting. Mario, Samus, Link, Pokemon, etc are usually silent ordeals with mountains of text. The fully voiced and strangely dramatic story is a really neat contrast. If you've never played it and like gamecube games, you might want to pick it up before it becomes impossible to find.

And Jurassic The Hunted, it's a bargain been shooter from the guys who made some of the Cabela's games. The only thing I dont like about it is that it has no multiplayer. By the way, this game has a Nazi Zombie mode, but with dinosaurs. Awesome

Zhukov:
Mass Effect 3.

Moving on.

Angry Birds. I really don't see why anyone would hate on this game. Well, okay... I do, it's because it's popular among non-"hardcore" gamers, and people can be complete twats about that sort of thing, but I don't see a good reason to hate on it. It's a thoroughly amusing way to kill time in a waiting room or during a slow lunch break.

Oh whatever, both games are good. I don't need ME 3 in my life, but Angry Birds actually requires skill despite it being dubbed "casual". I give it a go once in a while.

Final Fantasy 13 - It was the first Final Fantasy game I've ever played and I really enjoyed it. I must have, because it managed to keep me engaged for the fifty hours I played through the story. Have yet to play the sequel though.

l0ckd0wn:
Ernie's Big Splash... I used to play this game for hours as a kid small child...

Faxanadu for NES:

Wow Faxanadu was a game that I was way into at first, but there's a serious time commitment required there. I think I rented it and never got back into it. I should try it again!

Urban Reign for the PS2:

[ http://youtu.be/aaxKqZcoA3k ]

I have no idea why this game got such mediocre reviews, but there isn't a brawler that has surpassed the gameplay here. It's like the spiritual successor to Double Dragon because it's super gritty.

Modern Warfare 2 and World at War.. But oddly not any of the previous or latter games.

Also I really enjoyed playing the first Army of Two with a friend.

Currently? I'd have to go with Dota 2.

I tend to see a fair bit o' flack coming from either fans of LoL or non-fans of the genre.

Or, occasionally, the self-proclaimed "true" Dota fan. As in, a fan of the original WarCraft 3 mod. One whom hates IceFrog and Valve for making Dota 2.

Terminate421:
In these parts its ANY HALO GAME.

Seriously, I have fun with these, they are awesome.

Correction: It used to be. But now, around these parts, it's Half-Life 2.

Swear to God, the moment a news item or thread comes along that even hints at the possibility of relating to Half-Life 2, the comments will be flooded with a rush of hate and cries of "overrated".

Anyway, I agree with you. The Halo series is quite awesome. Though, I'm certain I'm an anomaly amongst the "true" Halo fans, in that I tend to like the least favored of the series.

I.E. - Halo: CE, Halo: ODST, Halo Wars. Not really enamored with 2, 3, nor Reach.

JemothSkarii:

On another note, I found Splinter Cell: Conviction to be fun...I like the idea of Sam on the run...I consider myself a stealth game vet (Thief 2, MGS, Hitman etc.) and I found it interesting.

Thank God someone else is willing to say it.

Sure, Conviction wasn't as "stealthy" as pure stealth games like Thief or even the original Splinter Cell. But damned if it wasn't still fun as hell. Especially playing with a friend in Deniable Ops.

Well going by the current forum hate trend, pretty much every EA game I own falls under this banner. :p

Vigormortis:
Currently? I'd have to go with Dota 2.

I tend to see a fair bit o' flack coming from either fans of LoL or non-fans of the genre.

Or, occasionally, the self-proclaimed "true" Dota fan. As in, a fan of the original WarCraft 3 mod. One whom hates IceFrog and Valve for making Dota 2.

Terminate421:
In these parts its ANY HALO GAME.

Seriously, I have fun with these, they are awesome.

Correction: It used to be. But now, around these parts, it's Half-Life 2.

Swear to God, the moment a news item or thread comes along that even hints at the possibility of relating to Half-Life 2, the comments will be flooded with a rush of hate and cries of "overrated".

Anyway, I agree with you. The Halo series is quite awesome. Though, I'm certain I'm an anomaly amongst the "true" Halo fans, in that I tend to like the least favored of the series.

I.E. - Halo: CE, Halo: ODST, Halo Wars. Not really enamored with 2, 3, nor Reach.

JemothSkarii:

On another note, I found Splinter Cell: Conviction to be fun...I like the idea of Sam on the run...I consider myself a stealth game vet (Thief 2, MGS, Hitman etc.) and I found it interesting.

Thank God someone else is willing to say it.

Sure, Conviction wasn't as "stealthy" as pure stealth games like Thief or even the original Splinter Cell. But damned if it wasn't still fun as hell. Especially playing with a friend in Deniable Ops.

Has the backlash against the Valve fanboys really gotten that bad? It used to be that the only thing this site worshipped harder than Yahtzee was Valve, with HL2 being the main sacrament.

Mass Effect 3. I even liked the ending, sue me.
Entire Uncharted series. No, Nathan Drake is not a very deep or complex character, but dammit, he's funny and the games are fun!
Star Wars: The Old Republic. Sure, it's not as good as the first two KotOR games, but it's the only MMO I can honestly say I've enjoyed.

Uh...I *think* that's everything...Though I've never actually been made fun of for liking the latter two on the list, I have for ME3.

Owyn_Merrilin:

Has the backlash against the Valve fanboys really gotten that bad? It used to be that the only thing this site worshipped harder than Yahtzee was Valve, with HL2 being the main sacrament.

It's not even against the "fanboys". (I hate that term used in a derogatory sense)

In general, the moment the topic is brought up, you'll see a cavalcade of posters (usually the same ones) remark incessantly on how bad the game is, and how stupid people are for liking it. (not praising it. just liking it)

Not to mention there's been an increase in the number of weekly threads regaling us all about how the OP thinks Half-Life 2 is "overrated" or questions why people like the game so much. Not quite as much as we used to have in, say, 2008, but certainly more than we had last year.

And that's just against the fans of Half-Life 2. Let's not even get started on the hate Valve fans get in general.

Duke Nukem Forever

It had one really bad part and people condemn the game for not being the epic 12 year production we wanted it to be. It is however a unique FPS that has "some" good humor and features a great character.

My best friend adores colonial marines and says that I am unfairly judging it because I haven't played it. I am sceptical at best.

Daikatana. No, really. The beginning was really bad (it is the only portion of the game people remember, since it was featured in the demo), but the 2nd and 3rd party were great.

Tell me guys. In this day and age, how valuable would be a FPS where you spend 1/4 of the game in ANCIENT GREECE and another 1/4 part in HAUNTED NORWAY? Where you have different weapons in each of the 4 parts. Someone remake Daikatana, please. Or at least mod it to current specs and fix the crappy first part.

Another one, Kane & Lynch. Great game, botched release.

gamernerdtg2:
Urban Reign for the PS2:

[ http://youtu.be/aaxKqZcoA3k ]

I have no idea why this game got such mediocre reviews, but there isn't a brawler that has surpassed the gameplay here. It's like the spiritual successor to Double Dragon because it's super gritty.

Points for pro wrestling moves. Was there a demo of this back then? Looks familiar, but I know I never bought it.

DazBurger:
Modern Warfare 2 and World at War.. But oddly not any of the previous or latter games.

Also I really enjoyed playing the first Army of Two with a friend.

I enjoyed both A02s. I even have the current one on pre-order.

Also, I've been playing the hell out of Modern Warfare 3. I'm torn between regretting that gaming as a whole is moving towards dudebro shooters and enjoying one. Though the two aren't necessarily mutually exclusive.

Finally, I'm one of the seventeen people who still plays the Rock Band series.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked