Games you like that are "uncool" to like.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

I enjoyed all the Assassin's Creeds and I enjoyed Dragon Age II.

Vigormortis:

Owyn_Merrilin:

Has the backlash against the Valve fanboys really gotten that bad? It used to be that the only thing this site worshipped harder than Yahtzee was Valve, with HL2 being the main sacrament.

It's not even against the "fanboys". (I hate that term used in a derogatory sense)

In general, the moment the topic is brought up, you'll see a cavalcade of posters (usually the same ones) remark incessantly on how bad the game is, and how stupid people are for liking it. (not praising it. just liking it)

Not to mention there's been an increase in the number of weekly threads regaling us all about how the OP thinks Half-Life 2 is "overrated" or questions why people like the game so much. Not quite as much as we used to have in, say, 2008, but certainly more than we had last year.

And that's just against the fans of Half-Life 2. Let's not even get started on the hate Valve fans get in general.

So it's a backlash against the years of constant praise from rabid fans (that a better term for you than fanboys?). The same thing happened to Final Fantasy VII some time in the mid 2000's, when people who were fed up with the constant praise it got started shouting so hard about it being overrated that today, it's actually /under/rated. That's right, FFVII has such a strong reputation for being worse than everybody used to say it was, that its current reputation is as a game that's worse than it actually is. HL2 looks to be undergoing the same process, at least around here.

Gears of War. It is my absolute favourite series this gen. Yet it gets nothing but hate on the internet.

I love Sonic Adventure 1 and Sonic Adventure 2.
I love Sonic R and all its music.
In fact, the Sega Console systems are held dear to my heart for the games they let me play, espcially the Dreamcast (Powerstone, Bomberman, SMNeo, Evolution, Rayman, etc).
I liked Sonic Chronicles a lot too.

Also, Dragon Age 2 was less than Dragon Age: Origins, but the important parts (story and character relations) were there and still awesome and Mass Effect 3 was an absolutely perfect game up until those last few minutes which the extended cut and a bit of imagination helped with. I should have known though...no game is worthy of being up there with unicorns.

Mass Effect 3 *ducks the hail of rotten eggs*

WWE 13 - I can imagine that this is not that "cool" to like, but I do.

Sid Miers' Railroads - A bit of goofy fun when I don't have the energy for a prolonged gaming session.

Gun - Anyone remember that? Despite the continuity being fucked, it's a good game with a brilliant soundtrack and Lance Henriksen plays the antagonist!

Not exactly a controversial choice, just a game that nowadays is regarded as 'lame'. I still like most of the Guitar Hero games, especially Metallica. Say what you will about them, but those games had a HUGE impact on my taste in music and if it weren't for them I probably would have never even thought about picking up an electric guitar. It's been a few years since I've played any of those games, but it still has a special place in my heart.

Zachary Amaranth:

gamernerdtg2:
Urban Reign for the PS2:

[ http://youtu.be/aaxKqZcoA3k ]

I have no idea why this game got such mediocre reviews, but there isn't a brawler that has surpassed the gameplay here. It's like the spiritual successor to Double Dragon because it's super gritty.

Points for pro wrestling moves. Was there a demo of this back then? Looks familiar, but I know I never bought it.

It's now a very old PS2 game, and it would be worth every penny. Not just for the wrestling, but the fact that you can pick characters with so many different styles, and they all flow really nice. I'm telling you - it's 7 bucks used on Amazon. Get it. I picked that video because it showed alot of the crazy manuvers you can pull off. I'm wondering what the 14/15 collectable version of it is about...if there's anything different from the original game.

I like the Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm games. I don't know if they're considered "uncool" by video game standards but I'm sure my mates would have a field day if they were to know.

Dues Ex: Invisible War. Better than the first game, in my opinion.

Child of Eden - I don't know if it's necessarily considered "uncool" but I have seen it get a lot of flak (likely from living embodiment of that sadly accurate COD fanboy stereotype) over it's lack of weapons and "gayness" (sigh), what with all the flowers, bright colours and the like.

Come to think of it, given that back in the 32-bit era I went for a Saturn over a Playstation (the ribbing I got for that in school) pretrty much eveyr game I owned back then would have been classes as "uncool" most likely.

ShinyCharizard:
Gears of War. It is my absolute favourite series this gen. Yet it gets nothing but hate on the internet.

agreed 100%

Fable.
Just the series in general. I love the games, but everybody hates them. Fable: TLC did a great job of setting up the backstory for Heroes and had a nice intricate backstory for Jack, Fable 2 had a great story, good gameplay, and a great villain; he wasn't evil, just kind of bonkers. And Fable 3...
Seriously, the Crawler was fucking terrifying. I loved him.
OH, AND LETTING ME FIND OUT WHICH OPTION WAS THE EVIL ONE HELPED THANKS PETER
And Dead Space 3. People just didn't like it. I thought it added a great bunch of new things to the mix, and as always the Necromorph designs were creative.

Just about anything that isn't Call of Duty, Battlefield, Fifa, or Skyrim just gets relegated by most people to some weird game. I've had too many people confuse A Link to the Past for pokemon. I can sort of understand Dragon Quest when that happens, but I've given up trying to explain video games and just list the game as being like one of the four I mentioned above.

I'm surprised it hasn't been mentioned more, but Heavy Rain. I honestly think it doesn't deserve all the flak it gets; it has great atmosphere, a great story (though admittedly, there are some big plot holes and some inconsistent voice acting), does a great job of immersing the player, and is overall a very memorable experience.

I guess my love for the game despite all the hate may also have something to do with the fact that I... wait for it... actually LIKE quick-time events (GASP!).

Owyn_Merrilin:

So it's a backlash against the years of constant praise from rabid fans (that a better term for you than fanboys?). The same thing happened to Final Fantasy VII some time in the mid 2000's, when people who were fed up with the constant praise it got started shouting so hard about it being overrated that today, it's actually /under/rated. That's right, FFVII has such a strong reputation for being worse than everybody used to say it was, that its current reputation is as a game that's worse than it actually is. HL2 looks to be undergoing the same process, at least around here.

No, I didn't mean the "rabid fans". I meant anyone who has said they like Half-Life 2; even mildly.

It's gotten to a point that just simply admitting that you enjoyed some aspect of Half-Life 2, or any of Valve's products, is tantamount to saying you're a child-eating Satanist. At least for many of the more vocal, prolific posters on this site.

I won't name names but there are quite a few who make a point of chastising Valve fans around here.

Besides, if anything, Half-Life 2 has had years of incessant, negative criticism from this community rather than constant praise.

Just compare the number of "Half-Life 2 sucks" threads that have cropped up over the years to the "Half-Life 2 is good" threads.

The difference is staggering.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

By the way, I only said I hated "fanboys" used as a derogatory term, in regards to the topic at hand, because it's often used to describe anyone who likes something the person using the term doesn't.

"You like that thing? I hate that thing! You only like it because you're a blind fanboy!"

That sort of deal.

zidine100:
play a jrpg on a bus,

now you know what uncool feels like.

May I ask what happened? Just funny looks or did someone start something?

Vigormortis:

Owyn_Merrilin:

No, I didn't mean the "rabid fans". I meant anyone who has said they like Half-Life 2; even mildly.

It's gotten to a point that just simply admitting that you enjoyed some aspect of Half-Life 2, or any of Valve's products, is tantamount to saying you're a child-eating Satanist. At least for many of the more vocal, prolific posters on this site.

I won't name names but there are quite a few who make a point of chastising Valve fans around here.

Besides, if anything, Half-Life 2 has had years of incessant, negative criticism from this community rather than constant praise.

Just compare the number of "Half-Life 2 sucks" threads that have cropped up over the years to the "Half-Life 2 is good" threads.

The difference is staggering.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

By the way, I only said I hated "fanboys" used as a derogatory term, in regards to the topic at hand, because it's often used to describe anyone who likes something the person using the term doesn't.

"You like that thing? I hate that thing! You only like it because you're a blind fanboy!"

That sort of deal.

I think you're misunderstanding me. I'm not saying they're only levelling the complaints at people who like it way too much. I'm saying it's the years of glowing praise from people like that that caused the backlash, which is currently against /any/ praise. The same thing literally happened to FFVII, for the same reason.

Edit: as for the difference between threads praising HL2 and bashing it, your memory seems to be the opposite of mine. I'll grant you that my memory of these forums doesn't go back as far as yours does (my join date was in 2010, I'd been lurking for a few months when I signed up), but I don't remember any significant amount of HL2 bashers... really ever. The closest I've seen is periodic threads where people say they finally tried it after years of hearing how great it was, only to find out that it's really nothing special by modern standards, and are now confused as to why it gets so much praise.

The praise itself tends to show up randomly in other threads, and not be so much in its own thread. We've kind of had an exponential decrease in the amount of praise it got every year since I joined, but especially for that first year and a half, I was seeing it mentioned in just about every other thread, and always in a positive light.

SWTOR for me... I enjoy it.

Although a whole heap of people that don't play it want to crap all over it.

Mine would probably be Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty.

It was the 1st one I played, it was funny because I was kind of disappointed about not being able to play this cool snake character for the majority of the game. but everything just clicked together just right. Even the swimming section was done right in my opinion, it really fit the pacing of the game.

Brink was fun :( the servers just sucked

Uncharted series. I know a lot of people are on Nathan Drake is a douche bag bandwagon. But I don't care. I like him. He may be a sociopath but he certainly isn't boring.

jackinmydaniels:
Most recently, AC3, the sheer amount of mass distaste for this game astounds me. Sure the ending left a little to be desired, but, everybody knew it wasn't going to be the actual last game in the series so it obviously wasn't going to close anything off. The new areas and cities were a wonderful change of pace. The combat was freakin' stellar and the naval missions were freaking great, the story was awesome, I think a lot of people hate Connor because he isn't Ezio 2.0, but I thought he was pretty good personally.

I liked it at first, then my opinion of it gradually worsened longer I played.

I loved the new era and new cities. But that was pretty much it.

Combat is far from stellar. I find myself running away from people because I find it so annoying. I wish it would have ripped off Batman Arkham city because that had pretty stellar combat.

Also, I found Revolutionary War set pieces are MAJOR disappointment. Especially the whole 'aim the cannon and fire' part.

As for Connor... I like Connor. His personality complements well with his native american upbringing. If he was like Ezio, it would've been... off. I didn't find him to be a jerk like a lot of people did.

But you liked the game, that's great.

Deadly Premonition.

I'm usually too nervous to say this because I figure I'd get picked apart, but...

- I enjoyed EVERY Assassin's Creed. Especially 3. Are the naval missions the best part? Arguably so, but are they the ONLY good part? I don't think so. Admit it, some of kill animations are AWESOME.
- I think DMC is AWESOME, characterization could have been a little better but everything else is AWESOME. And to be fair, Dante never really had a consistent character (or even a consistent voice-actor) through any of the first four games. And none of them really would have fit into this new game anyway.
- I liked EVERY Halo game, Wars was my least favorite but I like how it simplified things for non-RTS fans like myself. Heck, I even say that ODST was my favorite simply because of how unique it was. You weren't a Spartan anymore and they made sure you really KNEW that.
- I LOVE Gears Of War and I've played all of them with my sister.
- I like Army Of Two. The don't have very much substance but they're fun co-op shooters for what they're worth
- This is sort of half-and-half around here but I LOVE Dead Space 3. It's not that scary anymore but it's so action-packed I can't help but be entertained.
- This one's also kind of half-and-half but I REALLY like the Uncharted series. Those games absolutely DEFINE cinematic gaming and they probably delivered my biggest OMG moments this generation.
- This isn't about the game but I think Kratos's character was okay in God of War 3. Was he likable? Pffft, no. But considering what he did to other living beings in that game, I'd say it was pretty fitting.
- I think Bioshock 2 was pretty good. It wasn't nearly as good as the first one but it also wasn't as bad as some people say it is.

Hoo! I really had to let that out

It's kind of funny, a lot of these are actually reviewed and received pretty well but around here it's the opposite. I swear, there's some people around here who act like they're freaking connoisseurs of fine gaming and nothing but the THE MOST INEFFABLY PERFECT EPITOMES OF INTERACTIVE MEDIA will satisfy them.

Koei games...most of their 'Warrior' genre offerings, to be precise. I understand why people look down on them, really. I started on Dynasty Warriors 2 and while it was fascinating, it was also repetitive as all get out. The problem is, people see only what's stayed the same through the seasons, not what's changed. It's a hack and slasher, certainly, but decrying it for simply being the same game is like saying that the first Doom and Doom 3 are effectively identical--in broad strokes, such a claim might hold up, but saying that while looking at the spectrum will get you laughed out of the room by anyone with the power of observation.

In this specific genre and by this company, there's been Dynasty Warriors 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, Samurai Warriors 1, 2, 3, Warriors Orochi 1, 2, 3, Dynasty Warriors Gundam 1, 2, 3, Warriors: Legends of Troy, and Ken's Rage 1 and 2...and I'm just listing major console titles, not necessarily any expansion packs such as XL or Empires, or portable exclusives like Dynasty Warriors GBA or Strikeforce for the PSP (a textbook example of 'completely out of their minds,' incidentally).

Looking at the first games in each iteration, you can see where there's a lot of basic similarities. You control one character who bashes and slashes their hordes of nameless grunts, more challenging officers, and the occasional general (IE, also a playable character). That's the formula, but each game goes about it in a different execution. Dynasty Warriors is the 'purest' form of the formula early on, without many complications, but introducing optional tasks which can make a stage easier. Samurai Warriors takes the formula and puts more focus on these missions, giving you extra XP and sometimes different story paths depending on how you accomplish them. Dynasty Warriors Gundam goes the territory control route, and makes the defeat of enemy officers and the capture of territory a priority, something neither Samurai Warriors nor original flavor Dynasty Warriors particularly touched on.

I could go on, but I'd be rambling. TL;DR, while the content of the games is fairly niche (almost all of them demand some familiarity with history, mythology, or a long running anime franchise), the games have evolved far than people give them credit, and players are rewarded for their dedication with a continuing series of unlocks both within a favored character and in the broader scope of the game itself. Those who actually dig history, myths, legends, classic anime, and giant robots, like myself, are very much the target audience, and I for one am glad that someone decided to make a game that lets me play a role in the stories I know. It's a shallow genre only because people don't stop to look closer at it.

AndrewF022:
Wait... Why is it uncool to like 'mainstream' games like Diablo 3, Mass Effect and other popular games already mentioned? I don't... whatever...

Well, reasons: [Disclaimer: The reasons stated are not necessarily indicative of my views on the matter]
Diablo III: Always Online DRM that pisses people off, not dark and gritty enough, has a happy ending that isn't pyrrhic, streamlined gameplay, poor endgame content - ect.
Mass Effect 3: The ending. 'nough said.
Any CoD game: 'Lol CoD is for tw@ts N008'.
ect.

Basically, you'll cop a lot of flak from people on the Internet for liking these things, often more than liking other games. Hence it is uncool to like them. Simply because its a mainstream game that has sold a lot of copies doesn't mean its cool to like it, especially not around these parts.

Round here it's uncool to like any mainstream game. Even if they are genuinely good games. Mine is the Mass Effect franchise and the Uncharted games.

Vigormortis:
snip

Agreed. I am so tired of this by now that I don't even bother to posts the long list of reasons why HL2 is as loved and praised as it is. And those reasons are enough to make it at least the best FPS from 2004 (and one of the better FPS ever made). It brought just so much to the game table from a mechanics standpoint, add the way a lot of fluff is told through setpieces and secondary characters and you have a great game.

For fucks sake, I just saw the facial animations to be surpassed in this year, most games struggle at basics (like NPCs looking at where you are instead of where you supposed to be).

On topic:

I love WoW (even though I quite 2 years ago). I quit due to boredom resulting from familiarity. In the end of the day it is still a great game that delivers some things to me many other games can't.

Dishonored is by far and large the best game I played in 2012. The gameplay was just perfect and replayability gave me over 30h of playtime.

As it stands now DmC is in the top 10 games of this gen. I love the characters and their development / depiction. I like the combat and the variations that come with it (I frankly don't give a shit about ratings). The leveldesign is just great.

Animal Crossing. I go wild for that game, cant wait for the new one in June!

Call of Duty: World at War. It's my favourite CoD game.

the original prince of persia 3D. It was one of the first games I played and I have a nostalgia crush on it. It wasn't until later I learned it aparently stucked. Hey I didn't know anything else so I thought it was friggin sweet

Buccura:
Call it a guilty pleasure, call it seeing the good in everything, whatever you want to call it I'm sure we all have at least one game that we like, even though it's "uncool" to like it. If you bring up the fact that you like it, more often than not you will get criticized for it, either because it's too "mainstream", or there are just too many things wrong with it to everyone else.

I can't stop myself from buying every game that involves horses in some way.

I don't care if the graphics are clunky, if the horse looks more like the mutant cousin of a moose or that the 'storyline' and 'gameplay' have clearly been designed by a committee of toddlers.

If it has horses, I will buy it, I will play it...

And I will hide it from everyone...

Along with my original series 'My Little Pony' DVDs.

I really enjoyed Kane and Lynch (the first one), it's just a shame that the AI partner is retarded so you have to play certain bits in co-op because otherwise he'l get you killed.

Although I've never owned an xbox of any sort, I really like halo for some reason. Always have, although I was kind of dissappointed with how homogenized halo 4 seemed from what little time I spent with it.

That Avengers facebook game, I know, you can execute me on the spot here, but I really like that game.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked