Games you like that are "uncool" to like.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

TheKasp:

As it stands now DmC is in the top 10 games of this gen. I love the characters and their development / depiction. I like the combat and the variations that come with it (I frankly don't give a shit about ratings). The leveldesign is just great.

This may be a tad off topic but meh, have you played Vergil's Downfall yet? If so, how do you think it holds up to DmC?

anthony87:

TheKasp:

As it stands now DmC is in the top 10 games of this gen. I love the characters and their development / depiction. I like the combat and the variations that come with it (I frankly don't give a shit about ratings). The leveldesign is just great.

This may be a tad off topic but meh, have you played Vergil's Downfall yet? If so, how do you think it holds up to DmC?

I am quite far into the DlC by now (~3h). Vergil himself is quite interesting, he plays vastly different from Dante and has the better Devil Trigger (in this case is that a plural, he has several abilities that use the DT bar) and he teleports himself like a maniac around the place. I have yet to unlock his clones.

The worst thing about it in my eyes: You don't have the possibility to play him in the Bloody Palace (yet). But overall it holds up and is worth the money.

Final Fantasy XIII - I get a lot of the hatred I just disagree. I think it's a fairly fun game, a decent-ish plot and some great characters to round it out (Fang and Vanille WHO WHERE BARELY IN XIII-2 AND NEED MORE SCREEN TIME!). The battle system CAN be a tad dull to begin with but I tend to play long games like JPRGs whilst watching an old favourite TV Series so I don't find it particularly bad during those first few hours where the game practically holds your hand. I don't understand why everyone gets all angry at Hope (he's 14 and he's just watched his mum die, c'mon guys) or accusations of characters being "flat" - I'd say they're more rounded out and interesting than any of the characters in VI (holds up flame shield) and although there are a couple of moments where the characters suddenly change attitude with little transition (Lightning suddenly deciding she likes everyone being the main one) the character development was absolutely stellar.

Same thing with FFXII really.

Also Mass Effect 3 - yes the ending was a bit bleh but half an hour of bleh does not ruin 100 hours of amazing across 3 games.

TheKasp:

anthony87:

TheKasp:

I am quite far into the DlC by now (~3h). Vergil himself is quite interesting, he plays vastly different from Dante and has the better Devil Trigger (in this case is that a plural, he has several abilities that use the DT bar) and he teleports himself like a maniac around the place. I have yet to unlock his clones.

The worst thing about it in my eyes: You don't have the possibility to play him in the Bloody Palace (yet). But overall it holds up and is worth the money.

Yeah as soon as I'd completed the DLC I was scouring the menus trying to find Bloody Palace., was gutted that he's not available for it at the moment. And perhaps it's just me but does it seem more difficult than the main game to you? They've certainly tweaked the style meter but I was also having a tougher time with enemies in general but that could've just been down to being more used to Dante.

HHammond:
Final Fantasy XIII - I get a lot of the hatred I just disagree. I think it's a fairly fun game, a decent-ish plot and some great characters to round it out (Fang and Vanille WHO WHERE BARELY IN XIII-2 AND NEED MORE SCREEN TIME!). The battle system CAN be a tad dull to begin with but I tend to play long games like JPRGs whilst watching an old favourite TV Series so I don't find it particularly bad during those first few hours where the game practically holds your hand. I don't understand why everyone gets all angry at Hope (he's 14 and he's just watched his mum die, c'mon guys) or accusations of characters being "flat" - I'd say they're more rounded out and interesting than any of the characters in VI (holds up flame shield) and although there are a couple of moments where the characters suddenly change attitude with little transition (Lightning suddenly deciding she likes everyone being the main one) the character development was absolutely stellar.

A bit of this I did have a problem with the combat being a bit boring, then it being fairly linear (which it is a FF game most of them do that, and it does somewhat work with the story), Vanille and Fang did need much more screen time (but so did the whole game in general), but story wise it was actually quite nice. However my only serious problem with it is I did everything in that game in about 20-24 hours that is way to damn short for a FF game, hell I just recently started FFX again and 20 hours put me at Zanarkand(no major grind-festing this run through though.

For me, just about anything from the past (prior to current gen) I usually get shit for liking/defending even games for the ps2 that came out just before release (granted most people on the internet love the ps2/xbox gen games like anything made by atlus, Ico, and Shadow of the collusus). Most notably/recently would be .hack, pokemon, and DMC2. For .hack people just see it as a JRPG and shun it like it will cause disease (to be expected in the states here nowadays so it doesn't bother me as much). I havent really played the last two installments of pokemon so I have been unable to say anything about those, but people always just see the whole series as "just for kids" the old ones are still nice as tactical rpgs and can be a bit challenging for some (most commonly ruby/sapphire). As for DMC2 I haven't played it in a while so I am a bit fuzzy on it, however it is still better then 4 (haven't played the new one so no comment there(though I feel I won't like most of the story much but meh still have to try it at some point)), anyway that may just be people being weird so whatever. There is morrowind but that is just because they haven't played it, yes skyrim and oblivion both have nice improvements overall but the quality and time sink has seriously declined (but so has every other series) and people always give me flak for liking it over the new two (which is funny because I played oblivion first XD).

Yeah thats the basic ones all the rest are games the people have never heard of (like katamari, dune, kagero/deception, legacy of kain, and legend of dragoon), so no need to go on about those here.

anthony87:

Yeah as soon as I'd completed the DLC I was scouring the menus trying to find Bloody Palace., was gutted that he's not available for it at the moment. And perhaps it's just me but does it seem more difficult than the main game to you? They've certainly tweaked the style meter but I was also having a tougher time with enemies in general but that could've just been down to being more used to Dante.

I think it is more that you are used to the way Dante plays. I got the impression that his most of his weapons go in a bigger radius around him so that it was easier to interrupt enemies.

for me it would be Sonic Adventure II; the only good 3D sonic game (shut up)

i liked the dual campaign story which did introduce new characters, but not more than necessary. the contrast between the running, shooting, and hunting mission was really good (but there was too much shooter missions in the dark campaign). the part i loved about it was the running missions where you play as sonic, and alternatively as shadow (before he long overstayed his welcome). they were done very well, and combined the fast-paced, non-stop speed of the original 2D games with a 3D level structure that actually flowed very nicely, and was rather challenging at first.

i had recently played through this again 2 summers ago and i still love it to this day. when i was in 6th grade i had logged 144 hours on my file, had all the emblems except 1, and i had raised so many of those chao i actually made one or two of the god ones (this is where most of the file time went)

i think it goes without mention that i was virgin for a VERY long time

Around these parts, Gears of War.

Quite enjoy the series myself, yet despite the alleged "dudebro" tag, not as much as my Mrs who rates them as some of her all time favourites.

I actually liked the first Kane & Lynch it had a LOT!!! of flaws but there was something about that made me enjoy it despite have one of the most atrocious cover system I've ever seen implemented into a game.

DA2 and ME3.

I used to play Runescape extensively because it was free and ran straight from the browser.

Varrdy:

Sid Miers' Railroads - A bit of goofy fun when I don't have the energy for a prolonged gaming session.

Whoa whoa wait: That game is supposed to be bad?

Hands down, Final Fantasy X-2. I know it's hated because of the whole "dress sim" about it, but I love it because of it. Each outfit has a unique look that fits each character and I love being able to change classes during a fight.

Also seeing more than one character fight at the same moment was SO AWESOME!

malakaira:
I actually liked the first Kane & Lynch it had a LOT!!! of flaws but there was something about that made me enjoy it despite have one of the most atrocious cover system I've ever seen implemented into a game.

The first case of Lynch wasn't as scrutinized if I recall. It was only Eidos itself was because they got a guy fired for giving a bad review of it, which horrifyingly bad business tactics.

I enjoyed most of the Halo games, COD Black Ops 1 and 2, half of Mass Effect 3 (not the ending...damn ending), and Conflict Desert Storm (I played with my cousin, so the stupid AI was never a problem).

The only immediate game for me is DmC: Devil May Cry.

I don't think I've ever appreciated and enjoyed a game so otherwise marginalised and unpopular.

Don't hate me but for a time i enjoyed RISE OF TEH IMMORTALS ( Some kind of new moba , now BATTAHL FER GRAXIA )

It was every bit inferior to dota 2 ( which i now play ) , had an atrocious grinding exp mechanic and had horrid graphics.

But i still enjoyed it.

StriderShinryu:
I still enjoy Bioware's games, notably Mass Effect 3 and, yes, Dragon Age 2.

I also do enjoy the occasional Call of Duty.

Here on The Escapist, that pretty much makes me some sort of leper.

It was you who gave me the disease, wasn't it? I shall burn you before throwing myself on the pyre!

Also the new DmC reboot. And Halo.

Dragon Age 2. I loved that game, and thought it was a lot more fun than the first game which just felt so cliche. I didn't want to buy it after having played Origins, but I'm glad I did. Mass Effect 3 was a great and enjoyable game too, up to the last five minutes, which kind of fucked up the whole series.

The ff13 series. I love the characters, the settings, the pacing is way too slow in the first, but I like it...a lot!

Call of Duty 4. Universally despised for spawning a bunch of mediocre cash-grab sequels, it remains to this day as incontestably the best multiplayer shooter of its kind of all time.

Go on, I dare ya to contest it with me, I dare ya.

I don't talk to anyone about games (because I like to keep my hobbies to myself and no one I know would be interested) but I remember playing a lot of the demo for Britney Spears' Dance Beat, and I almost nearly bought it one day; just because I was obsessed with rhythm games at the time.

I do own DDR: Jungle Book Edition, but there ain't no shame in that.

DjinnFor:
Call of Duty 4. Universally despised for spawning a bunch of mediocre cash-grab sequels, it remains to this day as incontestably the best multiplayer shooter of its kind of all time.

Go on, I dare ya to contest it with me, I dare ya.

I would contest that something can't be 'universally despised' and still shift millions of units with each sequel.

And few people really hate CoD that much; there simply isn't enough room on the bandwagon.

SomeLameStuff:
Heroes of Newerth.

There's the "MOBA three", Heroes of Newerth, Dota 2, and League of Legends. League of Legends is the young cute one which everyone dotes on. Dota 2 is the old one which is reliable and familiar. Heroes of Newerth is the middle child who got drunk one night, made an ass of himself and fell down the stairs. He may be cleaning up his act now, but everyone still sees him as the drunk prick who fell down some stairs.

I think most of the hate comes from the community. While the other two games have their own poisonous communities, HoN also comes with the bitterness of being ousted by the other two after coming first, and an elitism generated because the game was developed initially JUST to bring over DOTA players. The game wasn't designed to be friendly for new users at the start and anyone looking to learn had a harder time with that game than LoL at the time. However, they've recently revamped their UI and front-end to make them more user friendly, added tutorials and bots, and (though this was added a while back) even include build guides for each hero in the shop during gameplay. They've really started to turn around their user experience so anyone who was initially turned off really should give it another shot.

saintdane05:

Varrdy:

Sid Miers' Railroads - A bit of goofy fun when I don't have the energy for a prolonged gaming session.

Whoa whoa wait: That game is supposed to be bad?

Not at all but I doubt it's very high on the "cool" list...

I enjoy the newer BioWare games.

I love Kane & Lynch 2: Dog Days. Gameplay is mediocre for sure, but I just love the camera gimmick that much!

Plus I should point out a lot of people hate the game because the main characters are unlikeable, but that's why I like it. You SHOULDN'T like Kane or Lynch, they're both despicable, terrible people. I think that's the point and I like it for taking that route.

I'm not sure what qualifies as uncool since I regularly just play games I want to anyway without feeling repercussions against grating general society, I really still like playing Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets for the original Xbox. Or any system, for that matter. I think that's been one of my first favourite games for a LONG time and after selling it once and immediately regretting it, I quickly changed that and I like seeing it on my shelf.

Other mentions include Silent Hill: Shattered Memories, Cooking Mama, and Watchmen from the LIVE Arcade

I feel that the what qualifies as cool differs between the online space and real life. Many times I find my impression of online gaming culture is that if you say that you like Call of Duty you are a industry-destroying fiend who must be ostracized. But in real life, the game garners between 20 and 30 million sales each year, so you are very likely to meet someone who also enjoys Call of Duty.

Personally, I love Final fantasy X. I know that many people seem to hate it due to the voice acting being botched in some areas, but the world and characters connect with me in a way that I don't experience very often.

I still think Halo is the best FPS series out there, and even then, still llove playing the CoD single player games. I wasn't much of a fan of the Modern Warfare series, but the Black Ops games were fantastic, especially 2, which is what every CoD game should aspire to be like from now on.

The Mass Effect Trilogy.

I know because some people screamed about the last 30 minutes of the game, the entire trilogy is apparently some horridly written garbage (but then again, the internet is 90% idiots). But I think the whole trilogy stands as the only true 10/10 game in existence.

Also: Most games made by EA

DmC is on-par with DMC3 to me. Better story, great combat and (gasp!) enjoyable platforming for once.
Mass Effect 3 is the best in the series (and with Exended Cut, a thoroughly satisfying conclusion).
Dragon Age II had a better story than Origins, and would have been the superior game if not for the recycled environments.
Prince of Persia 2008 was a great, innovative title.
Final Fantasy X is in my top 3 FFs, and would have been #1 if it had had better voice acting.

Reccettear: an Item Shops Tale.
Yeah the anime style could be a little grating at times but I found some of the characters charming and would wind up really getting caught up in trying to nail every sale. And before you say anything my mancard has already been shredded and purged with fire thank you very much.

I enjoy playing Monsters Inc. Scream Arena.

Its aggregate Metacritic score is a 39%.

Duke Nukem Forever, the Kane and Lynch games, Lair, Call of Juarez: the cartell and maybe some more but those are the first ones i thought of by reading the topictitle. I even managed to get an hour of fun out of the last Hulk title and started a grind to unlock other costumes.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked