"YOU CAN STEER THE TORPEDO?" moments

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 NEXT

KefkaCultist:
Oh I got another one.

Final Fantasy 7 was my first real JRPG play-through and I was at Cosmo Canyon doing fine until that boss at the end of that place. You know, the undead guy. Obviously, the easiest way to beat him is to use some powerful healing item on it such as a Phoenix Down or an X-Potion. Things that you get moments before the encounter. However, being my first game like this, I did not realize that this tactic was a thing, so I tried to actually fight the guy. After something like 3 or 4 hours of dying, grinding, and repeating, I finally gave up and asked my brother to do it. I felt pretty dumb when he beat it in less than a minute then handed me back the controller.

EDIT: Should mention that my brother is kind of an ass and knew the whole time that I could beat it easily, but didn't tell me because my frustration was funny to him.

Did that with the undead version of Evrae in FFX too. Didn't know a Phoenix down would hit for 9999 damage. _

"YOU CAN CH- VAAN SHUT THE FUCK UP FOR A BIT YOU LITTLE SHIT- CHAIN QUICKENINGS?!"

In FFXII I had no idea you could actually chain quickenings. On my first playthrough, I never used them at all until I got to Archades, I just wailed on the bosses till they died. I had to grind so much to do that though, so by the time I got to there, I could literally one shot bosses with a quickening-chain. The first time I did that I felt like such a badass.

"YOU CAN USE ITEMS OUTSIDE BATTLE?!"

When I played the original Pokemon games on my GBC, I didn't realize you could use items outside of battle for a long time. Until I got HM01 I think. Would have been nice to know earlier, because getting through the cave path to Cerulean City was a horrifying ordeal.

KefkaCultist:
Oh I got another one.

Final Fantasy 7 was my first real JRPG play-through and I was at Cosmo Canyon doing fine until that boss at the end of that place. You know, the undead guy. Obviously, the easiest way to beat him is to use some powerful healing item on it such as a Phoenix Down or an X-Potion. Things that you get moments before the encounter. However, being my first game like this, I did not realize that this tactic was a thing, so I tried to actually fight the guy. After something like 3 or 4 hours of dying, grinding, and repeating, I finally gave up and asked my brother to do it. I felt pretty dumb when he beat it in less than a minute then handed me back the controller.

EDIT: Should mention that my brother is kind of an ass and knew the whole time that I could beat it easily, but didn't tell me because my frustration was funny to him.

And just to add insult to injury, there's a chest containing an X-Potion right outside the boss.

Mine is probably even dumber than anyone else's...

I'm running through Skyrim, picking shit up but wearing strength enhancing gear and drinking strength potions when I carry too much stuff, halfway through a cave.

I'm carrying all this shit, wasting potions and wearing armour I don't like and behind me is a character I know CAN CARRY MY SHIT.

Battletoads/Double Dragon - The Ultimate Team.

When you get to the Astroids inspired level:

"If you hold down the fire button, you can lock on to enemies and launch a homing missile?"

King of Asgaard:
You can hold down the action button in Fallout 3 to continually drink from a receptacle, instead of having to press the button over and over.
My mind was blown when I found out on the forums a few months ago.

WHAT!? ...thank you.

Mine would have to be in Eve Online recently. I hadn't played in a long time, and used to fly with a very well practiced group in covert ops ships (recons/bombers) that could cloak. You used to have to maintain a minimum distance from all other objects to stay cloaked, making practice and knowing your position very important when working in a team. I re-subbed, started flying with a large bomber group and was scared out of my mind that I would decloak the rest of the fleet by getting out of position...

Then after a few nights of white-knuckle fleet actions and feeling of being very lucky and wondering why they were so careless, I found out they'd patched the game quite a while ago and now cloaked ships don't decloak each other.

8-Bit_Jack:

Another:
Was playing Metal Gear Rising last week.

The last boss was kicking my ass, when I accidentally pushed a and x at the same time, and discovered that there is a dodge move. WHAT!?!?!? This entire game I had a dodge move!!!!

...you had to BUY that move, dude

Devil May Cry also had "buying" moves, but it also told you how to use them right in the place where you buy them.

MGR did not have that. >_>

it had named moves "the flippy smashy shabang", "the all american strawberry blast BOOYAH", etc, but once you bought them, it never once mentioned how to use those moves.

I ended up having the same moment as Another because of that huge flaw.

and so did my friend. He told me after looking it up on YouTube.

In fact, I beat the last boss on hard not really knowing how to use the moves I bought at all. Just the dodge move.

Sonic Doctor:

Edit: Why would anyone rage over Air Man? Two shots with the spinning leaf shield and he is done for.

When I was just a wee puff of smoke, I didn't know the bosses had rock/paper/scissors type weaknesses. Also, the oni face platforms, or as I called them when I was little, "The old lady heads."

Side note, since I couldn't read when I first played the game, I though Air Man was a washing machine, Wood Man was an American Football player, and Metal Man was a doctor.

Anathrax:
Kingdom Hearts 2. My first playthrough, The Castle that Never Was. I CAN SWITCH MY MAIN KEYBLADE?!

Was still fun, beating the game with the starting keyblade though.

I know that feeling. Was forever until I realized I could swap keyblades and even equip items.

Russirishican:

Moonlight Butterfly:
Lol jontron <3

YOU CAN SHOOT UP? in Cave Story + I felt like a total idiot ><

Related...

YOU CAN SAVE CURLY BRACE? *cue tears of joy and immediate restart of game*

I remember when I found out about this followed by the info that there was more bosses. Immediate fistpump and restart.

OT: ENEMIES GIVE YOU HINTS WHEN THEY ARE ABOUT TO USE SPECIAL ATTACKS?!
-Final Fantasy VII
I was like four or five years old when I first played it on the PC and kept on dying whilst trying to escape the Mako Reactor at the start as the first boss always chopped my health down with his bloody AOE lazer attack. Que coming back six years later and discovering that Barrett actually does out of his way to inform you not to attack the thing when it raises it's tail. Derp.

YOU CAN BOOST BY BUTTON MASHING THE C ARROWS! followed by I CAN BUTTON MASH?!
-Mischief Makers
This was actually a real treat to learn and blew my mind when I first discovered it's concept. I was stuck on the sports festival/ olympics level/stage in Mischief Makers cause I could never get enough points to win as I always lost in the sprints. Master pretty much everything else but always get screwed at the races causing me to lose. Originally I thought that when ever it mentioned the [> style buttons for boosting and stuff in the tutorials I only thought of using the grey D-Pad to move. However much to my surprise a few years later I discovered that by mashing the C buttons that you could send Maria speeding off in any direction as well as get her to float for a long time in the air. Mind blown and obstacle passed with ease. I then wondered if this phenominal discovery of button mashing could be used in other games which I was estactic to find that it did work.

YOU CAN LEVEL MAX AND MONICA SO THEY ARE NOT SHIT?
-Dark Chronicle/Cloud 2
Though it requires a serious amount of grinding to pull off. But the fact I didn't figure this out the first few times I played may be due to the fact I relied on the Ridepod way too much.

In Final Fantasy 8:
Magic drain too fast. Wait... WHAT IS DRAW? YOU CAN ABSORB MAGIC ?!?

I also have a friend that completed MGS 1 without ever knowing you can choke enemies.

BattleTanx: Global Assault (N64)
YOU CAN STEER THE MISSILES!!??

I never before held down the "A" button while launching those suckers.

Yeah i'm a old fart.

AnthrSolidSnake:

Ryank1908:
THE ANSWER TO THE PUZZLE IS ON THE DAMN CLAW?!

When I first played Skyrim, I was following through the main story missions, and got to the part where I had to open a door using a Golden Dragon Claw. When I got to the door in the depth of a murky ruined cave, I found an obstacle; a door, with three circles around a lock, which you could rotate. The rings had different pictures on them and I guessed I had to work out what the proper combination was.

I must have spent at least an hour, first just fiddling around, second, scouring the murals on the walls near the door for some kind of hint to the combination, and finally, just fucking hammering those buttons in every single possible combination. When I finally got it, I went on the internet to see if there was some kind of logical explanation for it, and sure enough... the combination is on the back of the claw the whole time. I did not know you could look at items in your inventory in that 3D view and I really didn't know it would somehow be a vital skill to learn for a mandatory bloody story quest.

I hate to admit that it took me a week to figure that out after I bought the game, while my friends were several hours ahead of me...

Yup... Took me almost an hour, I kept looking at the damn walls (the walls had Owls, Dragons, Bears drawn on them and I was sure that was the answer to the door puzzle).

YOU CAN GUIDE THE AT ROCKETS???!!!!

In battlefield 2142, whenever you fired off a rocket from either faction's rocket launcher, the rocket would disengage you from the view finder. I was a little depressed about that since in previous BF2 installments you could guide the rockets via the viewfinder. It wasnt until the last days of the game i discovered by holding down the LMB you could guide them until they went out of sight or hit something. As an older Bf player i still look back and chuckle about such moments. Im a hopeless romantic in my video games, shut up.

In Fallout New Vegas- YOU CAN REPAIR ITEMS USING OTHER ITEM?!
I felt so stupid when I figurered this out, every time I had played before I never used the repair skill and my armor was in extremely bad condition but and my most recent New Vegas play though I had two 9 mm pistols and while scrolling over one I saw a prompt saying Y-Repair. I was in party chat with a friend who was playing Fallout 3 and when i told him about this it blew his mind too.

Mass Effect, I beat the game at least once before I found out how to fire the Mako's canon.

Phuctifyno:

BloodWriter:
This whole thread could be about Deus Ex with every new find on subsequent playthroughs.

My first was "YOU CAN KILL

"

Agreed. Mine, and not until my third playthrough, was:

You don't need to kill the enemies, in fact, even if you do it doesn't matter (just let Paul do it since he's invincible), what does matter is where you leave, if you leave through the window, he dies, if you leave through the door, he lives.

Deux Ex is a game that doesn't really read what the player does, it just has certain triggers in certain areas, like the very first area, even if you don't kill everyone, so long as you go through the front door everyone will act as if you were a bloodthirsty killer.

That claw seems to mentioned a awfully lot. I too used some time to figure out that you could sprint and turn items in the inventory. I managed to open the first claw door by luck. I thought that the animal claws actually meant something to the puzzle, and went with smallest print (or something like that)closest to the centre. I lucked out and opened that door on my first try.

There is also one part in the entire Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass, where you have to close the DS to solve a puzzle. That problem I weren't able to solve, so I closed the DS before going to sleep, with the intent of solving the puzzle the next day. And, well, it solved itself.

Tribes 2 had one of those, but in reverse for me.
"Wait...missiles don't lock on without a heat signature?"

I believe my first one was "I CAN HOLD THE Z BUTTON WHEN I JUMP TO GO EVEN FARTHER!?" Mario 64. I had spent a good long time playing, had half the stars. Learned I could do that, beat the game in a week with nearly every star.

A more recent one was "I CAN DIG A HOLE BEHIND ME TO GET MORE MONEY FROM THE MONEY ROCKS!?" Animal Crossing.

Discovering you can throw banana peels/drop turtle shells in the first Mario Kart. As a kid this blew my mind.

I just found out in Don't Starve that you can apparently catch the boomerang by using the space bar.

It's kind of stupid, frankly. To elucidate: The boomerang does what you'd expect a boomerang to do, it goes out, hits the target, and comes back to you.

But if you don't click on the boomerang to catch it, it damages you. Rather a lot, really. This is a game where four hits are frequently enough to kill you, and dying destroys your saved game. It's sort of funny the first time it happens; after that, you're cursing as you try to click on a moving object a few pixels across before it whacks you, doing difficult-to-recover damage and reducing an expensive weapon's durability, just to add insult to injury.

...But apparently you can catch it using the space bar. I don't know yet whether it has to be a timed "tap" or if you can just hold space down (what I've read seems to suggest the latter.) But it does beg the question- why didn't they just make you automatically catch the boomerang like virtually every other @#$% game featuring a boomerang in the history of games and boomerangs?

-Ahem. Pardon my rant.

I HAVE TO KILL THE CREEPERS FOR GUNPOWDER!?

Yeah, I play on peaceful a lot just so I can build. I deserve whatever flak comes my way.

SkarKrow:

MajorTomServo:
Alternate title: "YOU CAN TONGUE UP?"

Ever play a game so often, and feel like you know it so well, only to discover some major ability you never noticed before?

For example, Mega Man 2 is my number one favorite game. It was the first game I ever played, and I was raging over Air Man before I could read. Just a couple of days ago, I found out that you can shoot Metal Blade in any direction. WHAT? I had no idea. All these years. I thought the main advantage was just the bigger projectile.

Also, to a lesser extent, I was four hours into Fallout 3 before I found out you could jump.

So, how about you?

I have possibly the supreme on here.

I got all the way to Guadosalam in Final Fantasy X, my first RPG besides pokemon, without knowing how to open the menu.

So as a result I didn't know how to level up or anything. Never occured to me that triangle would be the menu, since Start was always menu in everything else I played. Try getting that far without levelling up I frigging dare ya > >

Also when I first played Sonic 3 I didn't know how to charge up a spin attack but that was when I was like 4.

A few incidents in RDR or something like that where I just had no clue how to do something.

I'll see you Guadosalam and raise you Home. I knew how to open the menu, but I didn't understand how the Sphere Grid worked. I thought the number was your level, and not the number of nodes you could move, so I was always trying to move to a node that raised the S.LvL, which, of course, wouldn't work. I actually got a little bit further than Home, to that fucking dragon that attacks you on the airship as you near Bevelle, and he absolutely wrecked my shit with one or two attacks every time. My friend told me what I was doing wrong a few days after I had given up on the game. Ahh, youth.

Other than that, I played Star Wars: Battlefront II in first-person mode for a long time before I realized I could change it to third-person. Then I realized I hated playing the game in first-person, so I never changed it again.

8-Bit_Jack:

Another:
Was playing Metal Gear Rising last week.

The last boss was kicking my ass, when I accidentally pushed a and x at the same time, and discovered that there is a dodge move. WHAT!?!?!? This entire game I had a dodge move!!!!

...you had to BUY that move, dude

I just move spam. I basically just went to the move purchase section and went "buy, buy, buy, buy, buy, out of BP" I didn't actually bother reading :P I just figured the game was all about blocking, and never figured they would hand me a dodge move.

PolarBearClub:
Metal Gear Solid for the PS1:

THE CODEC FREQUENCY IS ON THE BACK OF THE BOX.

What box? This cardboard one? I thought they were just for hiding in? Oh, it would appear it is as there's nothing written on the outside, even when zooming in. Oh well, time to try every single frequency until I find the right one.

Weeks later, casually looking at the box...

WHAT THE FFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU...!

I'd actually read about the frequency/box thing in a magazine before I played it, so when I platyed the actual game... I'd completely forgotten and just went through all the frequencies. (-_-* )

MrBenSampson:
I played through most of Enter The Matrix before I figured out what the Focus ability was for. That's like playing through Spider-Man 2 without web-swinging.

I set myself the challenge of doing a play through Spider-Man 2 without swinging except on timed segments once. It did not last very long.

OP: It took me a VERY, VERY long time to figure out the use of soul gems (stones? Whatever they were called, it's been a while) in Oblivion.

TF2: "AUTO RELOAD DOESN'T INTERRUPT FIRING?"

Bioshock: "STUNNED ENEMIES TAKE 4x MELEE DAMAGE?"

Resident Evil: "YOU CAN JUST RUN PAST THEM?"

hermes200:
In Final Fantasy 8:
Magic drain too fast. Wait... WHAT IS DRAW? YOU CAN ABSORB MAGIC ?!?

Another Final Fantasy 8 one for you. YOU CAN CONSTANTLY BUTTON MASH TO INCREASE THE POWER OF SUMMONS?!?

Seriously, you summon things pretty much constantly that entire damn game. I was sick of all the animations before getting out of the first area of the game, but if you want to solve Final Fantasy 8, you're gonna watch those suckers for about 20 life-hours worth. Happy Birthday.

Found out in the last area of the game that you can hit a button to increase the power of the summon, which didn't do a whole lot at that point, but at least it gave me something to do while I was doing all that summoning.

Thank god I never have to play Final Fantasy 8 ever again...

Ham Blitz:
For me, I completely forgot you could kick in Dark Souls until I got to my second playthrough. After the tutorial the first time through I completely forgot it existed.

The exact same thing happened to me. I ended up kicking a few times at random while attacking, but I never figured out how to do it reliably until my second playthrough. It would have really helped with those spear-wielding Hollows with the shields early on...

Warachia:
Deux Ex is a game that doesn't really read what the player does, it just has certain triggers in certain areas, like the very first area, even if you don't kill everyone, so long as you go through the front door everyone will act as if you were a bloodthirsty killer.

Now that I did not know.

Fuck you, Paul, you're on your own next time.

80% way tgrough demon souls

YOU CAN COLLECT THE SOULS FROM YOUR DEATH LOCATION?

I was well into the first Mass Effect when I found out, after unintentionally hitting the right bumper, that it is possible to fire a cannon. You know, like a tank tank cannon. I could not believe what mad fuckery had just transpired.

What was once the most inefficient sniper class tank in the history of pea shooting became a glorious geth decimater from then onward.

It still handled like shit though.

FLYING SUITS ACTUALLY FLY?!

It took me a long time to realise where the name "Flying Suit" actually comes from in the original XCOM.
Looking back, that was pretty dumb, but I was just a kid.

THE CODE IS ON THE CLAW???!!!!

Well don't I feel stupid.

This thread is the first I've heard of this! I thought the clue was the walls too, and I was always frustrated when the combo I tried wouldn't work.

On a side note, when Mercer Fray uses the (concealed) Skeleton Key to get past a Claw Door on your quest with him, it was one of the most infuriating moments of my play through as I had knew he didn't have a claw and couldn't figure out how he did it.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked