EA Bans Users for Asking for Refunds

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

http://www.gamechup.com/ea-refuses-to-refund-user-for-simcity-threatens-account-ban/

Okay, I wasn't exactly sure on what to call this thread, but this is just ridiculous. I know that if I bought a game to play online that was just not working or not up to expectations I'd try to get a refund. I can understand maybe not giving a refund, but banning users over it?

Your thoughts, if you may

Are you kidding me? This is just... is their someone in EA who just sits in an arm chair in front of a globe laughing maniacally while twidling his mustache?

Yay out-sourced CSR reading from a script. Just try to get another one to help you out, or better yet call.

Every time I see one of those it's better to call.

I'm sure an EA apologist will be along shortly to tell us why this is perfectly ok, and A GOOD THING, but I think this is utterly despicable. Tweeted and Facebooked the linky to help spread that EA love...

Yiiiiiiiikes.
That's pretty drastic there E.A.
Even for you guys.

I mean even if let's say the users were in the right to ask for a refund....BANNING their ACCOUNT..for asking?
Makes you look a bit suspicious.

Well, first I'd point out that your thread title is misleading (and I suspect that was intentional on your part) since it was a threat of a ban, not an actual ban. Also, you've written "users" plural, but this is only one case, as least that we know of so far.

Other than that, yeah... real classy EA. "If you're not happy with our product then contact us to request a refund. Which we may or may not choose to process. Also, we'll threaten to ban your arse, just 'cause."

Zhukov:
Well, first I'd point out that your thread title is misleading (and I suspect that was intentional on your part) since it was a threat of a ban, not an actual ban. Also, you've written "users" plural, but this is only one case, as least that we know of so far.

Other than that, yeah... real classy EA. "If you're not happy with our product then contact us to request a refund. Which we may or may not choose to process. Also, we'll threaten to ban your arse, just 'cause."

Eheh, to be perfectly honest, I wasn't sure what to name it, tiredness and all that...I'll see if I can fix it...

We get this every time there's a game that's popular to hate on. If you read it, they're only banning people who try to get charges reversed at their bank, which is common practice. You're not banned for asking for a refund.

WoW Killer:
If you read it, they're only banning people who try to get charges reversed at their bank, which is common practice.

Yeah I noticed that too. Even Valve will ban you with no recourse for charge-backs.

Dryk:

WoW Killer:
If you read it, they're only banning people who try to get charges reversed at their bank, which is common practice.

Yeah I noticed that too. Even Valve will ban you with no recourse for charge-backs.

This, chargebacks are generally big problems for companies because you have accused them of not providing the product.

A chargeback is an extreme option and using it when you have recieved the product is illegal. Typically it is when you pay for something by credit card and the business goes busto without giving you the product.

Actually this is pretty much business as usual for EA. They have been doing this since 1990. Not a big shock. If you keep giving them money, they will keep ripping you off.

Dryk:

WoW Killer:

It is technically not a ban with Steam. You just get blocked from trading and purchasing until the costs are covered (was in that situation once).

The ban threat is probably a reply to the possible charge-back. But I think it does showcase what a weak position we have as consumers if disagreements arise. A ban would not only affect SimCity but all games 'bought' on Origin.

Jemoth has a good point, the game is not fit for purpose if he can't play and a refund is a reasonable request. Threatening him with a ban is abysmal customer suppport.

http://i.imgur.com/VEJIVmk.jpg

Ok apparently this guy got a refund with little to no fuss so...what the fuck is going on.

Dryk:

WoW Killer:

No time for that logic! EA IS TEH SUPRE EVALS!

kman123:

Ok apparently this guy got a refund with little to no fuss so...what the fuck is going on.

The Hate Train is full steam ahead and there's no time to fact check or look around the web. Better post a thread with a really misleading title, then link one single account where I guy tried to do a charge-back which is pretty wrong.

kman123:

What a dick.

You know, I'm beginning to believe people that say EA hates costumers. Seeing stuff like this also makes me agree with EA.

Nimcha:

kman123:

What a dick.

You know, I'm beginning to believe people that say EA hates costumers. Seeing stuff like this also makes me agree with EA.

Amen, some people are absolutely atrocious ey?

Whilst EA hardly have the moral high ground, these consumers act so fucking entitled and rude that they deserve as much shoddy treatment as they are given.

Nimcha:

kman123:

What a dick.

I'm not really seeing it, why's he a dick?

kman123:

What do you think of Origin & EA?
Answer should be gooks.

Regardless of him being an asshole I still laughed. EA have been acting like assholes to their customers a lot lately. I don't see the issue people have with giving them a little back.

People are afraid of EA banning their account? What are they going to do? Lock us out of Origin that basically no one likes? I haven't bought a game from EA in the last three or four years and I can't be alone on that one. Not to mention anyone they ban from their system is now a paying customer of steam (if they weren't already).

VanQ:

kman123:

Answer should be gooks.

Regardless of him being an asshole I still laughed. EA have been acting like assholes to their customers a lot lately. I don't see the issue people have with giving them a little back.

because the little guy you deal with doesn't make these policies, he's just a front of house work a day dude trying to pay his bills like the rest of us and the last thing he needs is a load of abuse from a self entitled customer when all it takes is simply and politely explaining the situation.
Ever wonder what causes bad customer service? It's dealing with people like that for five hours that makes you wanna dick over everyone. Anyone who's worked in customer service knows exactly that.

VanQ:

kman123:

Answer should be gooks.

I fail to see how a racial slur is a good thing. I also fail to see where EA were racist towards their customers.

Didn't this kind of thing happen...not too long ago with another EA game? I can't remember the game but I remember a story breaking about someone who ended up getting refunded for something only to find his/her Origin account banned outright.

Either way, the last few hours (days really) it seems like everything that's been said about EA has just painted them more and more as being an evil corporation. A lot of people called it years ago but hey, eventually they could possibly go under...maybe.

TheRaider:
[quote="Dryk" post="9.402827.16630464"]A chargeback is an extreme option and using it when you have recieved the product is illegal. Typically it is when you pay for something by credit card and the business goes busto without giving you the product.

That does depend where you are, here in Euroland it's perfectly legal to charge back on a product that is defective or inoperable if the seller refuses to offer a refund or return. Software is a bit of a grey area, but in the case of complete non-functioning like this it's more or less a certainty to get the money back.

Since the chances of actually getting a refund out of EA are slim to nil (current hold times on the phone are over 48 hours!), forcing a charge back is the only option if you want to see your money again.

What I want to know is, do these bans only run as far as SimCity or would be a blanket 'all your games are belong to us' type ban like they issue to forum users who are linked to Origin accounts? Given EA's history of handing out those bans anyone and everyone...

kman123:

I fail to see how a racial slur is a good thing. I also fail to see where EA were racist towards their customers.

Gooks isn't a racial slur in Australia. It's just a kind of general word we use to describe stupid people here or people that are being a jackass. It's not even considered a swear word around here, to be honest.

VanQ:

kman123:

Gooks isn't a racial slur in Australia. It's just a kind of general word we use to describe stupid people here or people that are being a jackass. It's not even considered a swear word around here, to be honest.

This is the first I've heard of it being either, but I assumed it was this. It doesn't make sense in context as a slur.

Dryk:

VanQ:

kman123:

This is the first I've heard of it being either, but I assumed it was this. It doesn't make sense in context as a slur.

My mum used to be really strict about me using swear words but whenever I fell over because I did something silly or wasn't listening to her she'd always call me that or something along those lines. Dad did the same and he was even stricter about swear words. So yeah, that's just how I always thought it was meant to be used. I was honestly confused for a second what he meant when he said I used a racial slur and am just assuming that's the word he's referring to.

Colt47:
People are afraid of EA banning their account? What are they going to do? Lock us out of Origin that basically no one likes? I haven't bought a game from EA in the last three or four years and I can't be alone on that one. Not to mention anyone they ban from their system is now a paying customer of steam (if they weren't already).

The only thing I ever bought from Origin was the DLC pass for Battlefield 3. I got the actual game from a retail store at about 1/3rd the price Origin was asking. I was tricked as well, the store owner assured me that I didn't need to use Origin to play it, which is the whole reason I sought out a physical copy in the first place.

I'd like to play Battlefield 4 for sure but there's no way I'm putting myself through their system again.

As far as this thread goes, EA has a habit of banning people out of nowhere. Don't forget they were handing out bans for anyone modifying the color filter on Battlefield 3. They ban you for any mod really, even if it's just for single player. They ban you just for badmouthing their service on their forums.

The most surprising thing about all this is that considering the already horrendous release of SimCity, the last thing EA needed was even more bad press by banning anyone asking for refunds.

Well I don't know what type of fucked up consumer laws you guys have in the rest of the world but I know for a fact that here in the UK if you get sold a product that does not conform to or function to the specifications that were advertised then you are entitled to a full refund.

I cant believe some people are defending EA on this one. Now let me say this now, I am not an EA basher. I don't hate on them coz it's the cool thing to do. In fact i own a few EA published games my self and have never really had any problems with them. Also I am not an EA fanboy, so don't even go there.

Having skimmed through the links posed in the article and the EA forums then I can say that I am aghast at the apathy and down right naivety of some people about there consumer rights. No wonder big companies can get away with so much, when consumer are willing to bend over and take it then why the hell would they not shaft them as hard as they can?
EA should have given this guy a refund. The fact that they even delayed is despicable. No wonder EA have a bad rep if that's how they deal with there customers.

TheRaider:

This, chargebacks are generally big problems for companies because you have accused them of not providing the product.

But...they DIDN'T provide the product. They have totally failed to provide the product.

WoW Killer:
We get this every time there's a game that's popular to hate on. If you read it, they're only banning people who try to get charges reversed at their bank, which is common practice. You're not banned for asking for a refund.

I assumed it was going to be like this as soon as I saw the title. Either that or the person didn't ask for a refund but went onto the forums and demanded one in a thread.

While I can understand the anger people have with companies such as EA, it's no excuse to treat customer service people like crap, they aren't the ones who have screwed you over, they are just regular people trying to do a job.

Oh EA... I want to like what they release, but I feel so dirty when I purchase one of their games; like a piece of my immortal soul is left behind on the counter and shipped via Fed-Ex to EAs patented, "Soul Blender," for use when their corporate higher-ups just need something to crush.

Joking aside, there's a reason that I never buy EA titles on release. I've come to expect this sort of thing from them. Sure, I may buy their titles a year or so later when the prices drop, but certainly never on release day, and there will always be the question of if I can bring myself to buy what they release.

The link isn't working for me. Don't know if my internet is acting weird or if the page was removed.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked