Dad Alters Donkey Kong for His Daughter - With Pauline as the Hero

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

I'm sure this will make the news here later today, but you night owls (hello, Europe!) get to read about it now.

A guy named Mike Mika has altered the ROM of the original Donkey Kong arcade game to show Pauline as the hero, instead of "Jump Man", aka Mario. He did it for his daughter, and of course, he uploaded game play to YouTube.

Donkey Kong: Pauline Edition

I think it's kind of cool. No, I think it's VERY cool. The squeaking noises Mario made when he ran always cracked me up. And now it's even funnier to me with Pauline's bouncing ponytail.

Classic games never interested me before (other than Zaxxon, which I'm still looking for), but I'd pay good money for this version easily.

News courtesy of ARS Technica

So did he make those climbing and jumping animations for Pauline himself? Or were they always in the code somewhere?

My God, the feminists are defiling classic games with their revisionist history!

Or something like that.

Jorec:
So did he make those climbing and jumping animations for Pauline himself? Or were they always in the code somewhere?

Apparently he drew her himself:

"...Mika may have used Tile Layer Pro to redraw Mario's frames and change the palettes within the ROM."

It's a nice gesture and the hard work shows. However, I just have this terrible feeling that Mika and many other people will look at this news piece and think "Why couldn't they do this back in the 1980's? Those people from Nintendo were so stupid.", without actually understanding the history and technological reasons why even if they wanted to that Pauline couldn't be a playable character.

Well he made a really tiny texture mod, it is cool but not really that interesting.

Tenmar:
It's a nice gesture and the hard work shows. However, I just have this terrible feeling that Mika and many other people will look at this news piece and think "Why couldn't they do this back in the 1980's? Those people from Nintendo were so stupid.", without actually understanding the history and technological reasons why even if they wanted to that Pauline couldn't be a playable character.

The floodgates will open soon my friends, get the sandbags.

Brad Shepard:

Tenmar:

Yeah, yeah you are right. I'm sorry for sticking my finger in the leaky dam causing it to crack. Just know that I'll be the first to drown and be comforted by that fact :P.

Oh well I still consider the importance of history and context than those small moments of "go girl power" that seem to be all the rage these days.

Tenmar:

Brad Shepard:

Tenmar:

Yeah, yeah you are right. I'm sorry for sticking my finger in the leaky dam causing it to crack. Just know that I'll be the first to drown and be comforted by that fact :P.

Oh well I still consider the importance of history and context than those small moments of "go girl power" that seem to be all the rage these days.

Im all for female empowerment or whatnot, but dammit if i dont feel all this crap is going overboard, Hell, My girlfriend of 4 years got on me the other day about holding the door open for her because "She does not need a man's help" I mean really, what the hell?

Brad Shepard:
Im all for female empowerment or whatnot, but dammit if i dont feel all this crap is going overboard, Hell, My girlfriend of 4 years got on me the other day about holding the door open for her because "She does not need a man's help" I mean really, what the hell?

I think my main gripe is just that this generation of "feminists" have lost their way and have forgotten that the point of feminism was the pursuit of equal rights under the law.

Now it is just full of wonky double standards where people of both genders are just damned if you do, damned if you don't. Can't be a normal nice person holding a door without being seen as a prick. Ya can't enjoy hobbies because somehow despite proving that video games doesn't make a person violent, now we have people suggesting that playing video games makes a person sexist. And that developers should stop developing games like that despite that what they create is art to which fulfills the point of expression by giving people new experiences, challenging their current mindset and also used to re-tell tales of old and tradition.

I actually like seeing people like Mika go the extra mile and do things like this. He has the skills to bring some happiness but at the same time I feel it is important to understand the history and context to which any writer that wrote about this story most likely left that out because it is a soft news piece that is meant to just make people feel good and I understand that. I just don't like seeing people get wrapped up in their own fanaticism and not realize that just because someone disagree's with ya doesn't mean they aren't the enemy. Most likely they are also a hobbyist of video games that has a different set of values, or experiences.

Wow I went from sticking my finger in the dam to just asking bomberman for his bombs...

EDIT: The black bomberman, cause he was best bomberman cause you played him if you were player two.

This is really cool and props to that dad for making it! He deserves a dad of the year award simply for the effort!

AstylahAthrys:
This is really cool and props to that dad for making it! He deserves a dad of the year award simply for the effort!

As nice as this was, there are fathers all over the world going to much greater lengths for their children. A pat on the back and 15 minutes of fame like this is more than enough for what he did and I'm sure he'd agree.

Oh look someone did a cute little mod. Well this surely won't turn into a...

Tenmar:

I think my main gripe is just that this generation of "feminists" have lost their way and have forgotten that the point of feminism was the pursuit of equal rights under the law.

Now it is just full of wonky double standards where people of both genders are just damned if you do, damned if you don't. Can't be a normal nice person holding a door without being seen as a prick. Ya can't enjoy hobbies because somehow despite proving that video games doesn't make a person violent, now we have people suggesting that playing video games makes a person sexist. And that developers should stop developing games like that despite that what they create is art to which fulfills the point of expression by giving people new experiences, challenging their current mindset and also used to re-tell tales of old and tradition.

I actually like seeing people like Mika go the extra mile and do things like this. He has the skills to bring some happiness but at the same time I feel it is important to understand the history and context to which any writer that wrote about this story most likely left that out because it is a soft news piece that is meant to just make people feel good and I understand that. I just don't like seeing people get wrapped up in their own fanaticism and not realize that just because someone disagree's with ya doesn't mean they aren't the enemy. Most likely they are also a hobbyist of video games that has a different set of values, or experiences.

Wow I went from sticking my finger in the dam to just asking bomberman for his bombs...

...Why? Why would you do this? Everyone was just looking at the pretty game and then you made shit get real. STOP ANAYLSYING THINGS DAMN YOU!

i hate the gaming community sometimes apparently its impossible for someone to do something clever and creative for his daughter without people either dismissing it or over anaylsing it.

good for him

Shadowstar38:
Oh look someone did a cute little mod. Well this surely won't turn into a...

Tenmar:

snip

...Why? Why would you do this? Everyone was just looking at the pretty game and then you made shit get real. STOP ANAYLSYING THINGS DAMN YOU!

I'm sorry but I can't stop being critical of the hobbies I enjoy. Being a hobbyist when it comes to video games is very complicated now. From understanding legal terms in a TOS that prevent consumers from ever suing a company again to maintaining that vigilance that despite video games attaining the same freedom of speech must be wary of other forms of censorship or control of developers and their ability to be artists.

Like I said, what Mika did was an awesome thing. I'm not actually hurting Mika or his daughter at all by posting on this forum. I would be hurting them if I sent a letter or e-mail why would I? It's a father that did something nice for his daughter, that's pretty much it.

What a kickass dad. Sure it may be small but imagine when you were a kid and you boot up a game to find yourself as a playable character. Simply kickass.

That kind of rom-hacking doesn't seem very innovative. It would've been more interesting if Donkey Kong had to rescue Mario from Pauline.

Turning a trope on its head... not bad... female empowerment? All good... wait, are the powerups pink handbags and umbrellas!? The inciteful bastard! Just wait til Sarkeesian gets her hands on him.

Tenmar:

I think your main problem is generalizing an extremely diverse group. That's just going to make you unhappy.

OT: That's adorable, really sweet. :)
I think it's funny people are trying to get all serious about this, it's just a nice thing for a dad to do for his kid.

Pretty cool dad.I see nothing wrong with this idea.

First Reaction "Aww, I'd do that if I had a desire to have a daughter and learn how to code/animate etc."

After reading the thread: *pops open umbrella* With the Sexism Debates lately, I predict a fecal storm over this...welp, to quote that song 'Better check yo'self before you wreck yo'self'

But yes, very cute, I personally love it. Not about female empowerment/exploitation, just a sweet gesture from father to daughter. I feel if I had a daughter I'd spoil her...and also be the type to conveniently clean my gun on the front porch when some boy comes over.

Zhukov:
My God, the feminists are defiling classic games with their revisionist history!

Or something like that.

shhh,be quiet.

i want to know how well they can flesh out duchess nukem 3D ...

Doom972:
That kind of rom-hacking doesn't seem very innovative. It would've been more interesting if Donkey Kong had to rescue Mario from Pauline.

But its for his daughter, whos a girl and presumably human. Pretty sure she'd identify with the girl character more over DK.

This has nothing to do with feminism at all, the little girl wanted to imagine herself in the game so he made that possible. It was a nice thing to do and we don't need it ruined by feminist bashing or by using it as another ''games are sexist'' thing. This thread is going to degrade fast.

We should have thrown 140000 $ at this guy, his approach is far more reasonable.

Aww. Really sweet idea.

Yet another example of how creative parenting can be.

Fasckira:

Doom972:

But its for his daughter, whos a girl and presumably human. Pretty sure she'd identify with the girl character more over DK.

I'm sure it's very exciting for that little girl, I don't see what's interesting about it for us, though.

I also don't get why a character needs to be of your gender/race for you to be able to identify with. I played plenty of characters of different genders and races and I for me it had little to no effect.

Phasmal:

Tenmar:

I think your main problem is generalizing an extremely diverse group. That's just going to make you unhappy.

OT: That's adorable, really sweet. :)
I think it's funny people are trying to get all serious about this, it's just a nice thing for a dad to do for his kid.

I know the two of us have been over this before. I already know that feminism is a school of thought and have mentioned it on these forums multiple times. So I do know that there is going to be multiple approaches and we have seen them from pro-sex feminism and anti-sex feminism as a small example. But while it is it's own school of thought there was still the main objective that I think is being very much ignored as the women's movement which is a focus on rights under the law. Which is why I'm personally shocked that during the same generation that created Roe v Wade the same judgement might be lost. Kinda a big deal that isn't getting that big movement going again.

Personally, I think I would've been a bit sad if my dad had done this for me. It's sweet, really, but I would've probably thought something to the effect of "But dad...I liked playing as Mario."

But then, I was never into the deep personalization thing.

Thankfully, this dad was not mine and his daughter is not me. I would hate to think he did all that work only for me to be, at best, meh about it.

Shadu:
Personally, I think I would've been a bit sad if my dad had done this for me. It's sweet, really, but I would've probably thought something to the effect of "But dad...I liked playing as Mario."

But then, I was never into the deep personalization thing.

Thankfully, this dad was not mine and his daughter is not me. I would hate to think he did all that work only for me to be, at best, meh about it.

well his daughter seemingly wanted that and isnt that just what female gamers want? the simple option of the choice.
it also shows that pauline can climb ladders too and who knows what that ape would do with the little plumber?

Doom972:

Fasckira:

Doom972:

I'm sure it's very exciting for that little girl, I don't see what's interesting about it for us, though.

I also don't get why a character needs to be of your gender/race for you to be able to identify with. I played plenty of characters of different genders and races and I for me it had little to no effect.

It's probably because she's three years old and children are developmentally very egocentric. It could be legitimately more difficult for her to enjoy the game playing as a male character.

StewShearer:

Doom972:

Fasckira:

It's probably because she's three years old and children are developmentally very egocentric. It could be legitimately more difficult for her to enjoy the game playing as a male character.

its obviously not just a thing among children, how many guys wouldnt play alice: the madness returns cause its got a heroine. female character to play, so it must be a girls game...

FizzyIzze:
I think it's kind of cool. No, I think it's VERY cool.

Agreed!

This is exactly the right sort of thing to be doing. There's no reason Jump Man needs to be the hero. Why not have a version where you choose which player - Jump Man or Pauline - to play? I too would pay money for that.

I think it's a lovely gesture. He's essentially giving her a custom doll to play with.

Hixy:
This has nothing to do with feminism at all, the little girl wanted to imagine herself in the game so he made that possible. It was a nice thing to do and we don't need it ruined by feminist bashing or by using it as another ''games are sexist'' thing. This thread is going to degrade fast.

Actually it does have to do with feminism.

It shows how easy it is to make the feminists (like me) happy.

Seriously, this is it. Just make an option to switch the sprites and you have solved all of our problems with that game. It is just that easy.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked