Puzzle Games

Am I the only one that notices that nobody brings out puzzle games anymore? It's one my favorite Genres and I noticed that the only way I can get my fix is by buying them online. I currently play Bejeweled 2 and 3 by popcap games.

I played Tetris anything and I love Lumines. I also still play Tetris 2 for the SNES. Am I the only one that still plays puzzle games?

I LOVE puzzle games and it's a shame more don't come out. Catherine came out (fairly) recently, did well commercially, and is an amazing game. It goes to show you that people will give puzzle games attention if they are well-made.

What decade are you from exactly?
The past 5 years have been indie devs doing puzzle games 24/7...

Mr.K.:

I'm not talking about action games with puzzle elements. I want a traditional puzzle game with pretty 2D graphics and some catchy music. Too bad I was terrible at Super Puzzle Fighter.

Julius Terrell:

Mr.K.:

I'm not talking about action games with puzzle elements. I want a traditional puzzle game with pretty 2D graphics and some catchy music. Too bad I was terrible at Super Puzzle Fighter.

Spacechem.

http://www.gog.com/gamecard/spacechem

Sounds like you have a psp, which I hear there are quite a lot of puzzle games for. I for one have always wanted to try the Lumines series. I'd play Sudoku on the DS if someone gave it to me for free.

I guess people just don't like strait up puzzle games as much as they do puzzle based games with some sort of flare like portal or braid.

I have 140 hours of playtime in Yosumin. I'm not proud of that...

Also I have played and loved every Professor Layton game and the Ace Attorney games.

Puzzle games aren't really rare to be honest.

Julius Terrell:

Mr.K.:

There're more than enough of those, too. Steam is full of the stuff.

I've logged more than 200 hours play bejewled 3. There is just something satisfying about droping puzzle pieces faster with greater accuracy and playing for a higher score. The Lumines series is absolutely unique in the fact that it's one part puzzle game and one part music game. The music is just fantastic!

I don't have a psp, but you can get it on xbox live and online for the pc. Also, I loved The Next Tetris for the ps1. It was unique for having the concept of taking left over peices in from lines made to make combos or cascades. It can get quite ridiculous. Puzzle games for me are what first-person shooters are to everyone else.

If you haven't checked out puzzle pirates, do so.

Sure, you have to use dubloons to unlock puzzles (which are free some days of the week), but you can use your puzzling skill to make pieces of eight, which can in turn be traded for dubloons.

I wouldn't say they are as prolific as 3-5 years ago when every man and his dog was making them, but then again there's only so many connect 3 games ppl can stomach given how many there are already out.

I don't have one but I would hazard a guess they are still been churned out on smart phone. And no doubt more will crop up on the new consoles.

Tetris is still one of my favorite puzzle games and I like to boast that I'm awesome at it.

I guess the reason why many people don't tend to push for more puzzle games it that
a.) the timeless classics (Tetris, Bejeweled, Zuma, etc.) are still available and fun to play,
b.) it's difficult to create a new puzzle game without it being too similar to other puzzle games (there are many different games that incorporate Bubble-Bobble mechanics and only differ with their theme), and
c.) a majority of mobile gaming interests consists of either portable console titles or simple casual games.

I've pretty much stuck with the classics and occasionally will find new puzzle games that are entertaining, if only for a fleeting moment.

CrimsonBlaze:
Tetris is still one of my favorite puzzle games and I like to boast that I'm awesome at it.

I guess the reason why many people don't tend to push for more puzzle games it that
a.) the timeless classics (Tetris, Bejeweled, Zuma, etc.) are still available and fun to play,
b.) it's difficult to create a new puzzle game without it being too similar to other puzzle games (there are many different games that incorporate Bubble-Bobble mechanics and only differ with their theme), and
c.) a majority of mobile gaming interests consists of either portable console titles or simple casual games.

I've pretty much stuck with the classics and occasionally will find new puzzle games that are entertaining, if only for a fleeting moment.

I prefer classic games to modern games. I mean gaming had a magical feeling for me growing up when consoles games were just coming into their own. Once you experinece that, how do you want to experience anything else. I mean when I played tetris for the first time I was completely astounded how a game that is so seemingly simple be to damn satisfying.

I come from a different generation so I have a harder time relating to today's gamers in a lot of ways. That's why I can still play classic genres with a hardcore persistense. Surely I can't be the only one that feels this way?

Pink Gregory:

Julius Terrell:

Mr.K.:

Spacechem.

http://www.gog.com/gamecard/spacechem

Oh yes, this one. Marvelous cerebral challenge, it is. And listening to the music of it is going to give you +10 to intelligence, too. You might want to try, from the same guys, and also free, The Codex of Alchemical Engineering. There's also The Magnum Opus Challenge, but if you haven't beat the Codex, you shouldn't tackle this one yet. IT'S EVIL. And I mean that in the best possible way.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked