59.8% (79)
Both
16.7% (22)
16.7% (22)
Neither
6.1% (8)
6.1% (8)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: Persona 3 or Persona 4? Which Persona is better for you?

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

For me, it has to be Persona 4. The reason is because social-links with the individual party-members can actually influence how they perform during battle, as well as Rise's ability to scan dungeons and enemies. When their s-links max-out, their personas evolve, magnifying their strengths, nullifying their weaknesses, and symbolizing their users' growth and development as characters.

Not so much with Persona 3. When playing as a male protagonist in the original, P3: FES, and P3P, you only have access to your female party-members' social-links. But, even as a female protagonist, where you can access both males' and females' social-links, you can't influence and increase their battle performances through those s-links like you would in P4.

It has to be Persona 4. I kinda sorta absolutely despised the main character in Persona 3 and I can't turn down a good mystery story so yeah. Persona 4.

I can't remember if Persona 3 had the mechanic where a party member would take a killing blow for you but it's probably my favourite game mechanic ever. Saving you from restarting and making you more attached to that character? YUP!

Well, I only have a PSP, so I've only played Persona 3 (Portable). So yeah, Persona 3. I might get back to you if they release a game besides P4 that I actually want for the Vita.

Honestly I hadn't put the time into 4 that I had into 3, but 3 was a ton of fun for me because a roommate and I would trade off. We threw in a good few hundred hours. The characters really wrenched at you, and the gameplay was fantastic. I also loved the duality of the themes present in both worlds.

4 I started to dabble in, but for some reason never got more than an hour or so in. Though based on what some posters have said, I'll have to look into it again.

Persona 4, but 3 was still fantastic. 4 just had a mostly better cast and doing social links with individual party members was well needed.

hazabaza1:
Persona 4, but 3 was still fantastic. 4 just had a mostly better cast and doing social links with individual party members was well needed.

I feel exactly the same way. Persona 3 was awesome, but Persona 4's combat was far superior and it had better characters. Also, thematically P4 just seemed more original than P3... though I suppose P3's plot was a bit more "epic" in a sense.

Both Persona games are awesome, but I guess Persona 4 (especially Golden) just wins out.

In Persona 4, Yosuke was an annoying (sometimes homophobic) douche who never shut up about girls being in swimsuits in front of their faces, the main character (canon name is Yu Narukami) is a complete Mary Sue, Yukikos laugh becomes more obnoxious than endearing and Rises affection for Yu is a little over the top, uncomfortable if you are in a relationship with another girl in the game.The other characters were great and funny (especially Kanji)

There was also my friends interpretation of Yu being a sociopath and his theory held water, after all, your so called friends are a means to an end, you only hang out with people at school to raise your social link to fuse stronger Personas, once its maxed, you never hang out with them again (outside of story) and your friends would never hang out with one another without you there (with the exception of Chie and Yukiko) It is obviously not the message being conveyed, but still interesting.

Other than that, the gameplay is sweet, the story interesting and intense, its just a fantastic game but the more I think hard about the game, the more stuff I find bad about it.

I prefer P3:FES for the characters/atmosphere, but P4 has the the better game play/characters.

Gonna givea not to P1 and P2:PRT1/2 because they're all REALLY good games as well.

Gameplay vise Persona 4 is superior, but I refuse to say that it is a better game. Sure, Social Links in P4 were better implemented, but P3 also have its moment. In my eyes Persona 3 and Persona 4 are just different games with different feels. Persona 3 is much darker and deals with topics of death, suicide and depression, while Persona 4 is brighter and deals with questions of truth, mystery and self-identification. Characters also feel very different in both games. In P3 almost all characters are disfunctional in some way and ALL of them have parent issues. They deal with more or less practical problems. While P4 cast is relatively (in giant quotes) normal and they more or less try to find their place in the world.
So yeah, both games are absolutely brilliant and I refuse to choose favorite.

I feel like you should distinguish been the male and female protagonists in Persona 3. Sure, I agree with your point about P3 social links not influencing combat. However, the majority of the P3 female protagonists were written after P4. The experience shows. Really makes me hopefully for P5.

For me its Persona 3 (female protag) >> Persona 4 >>>>>>>> Persona 3 (male protag).

*Ahem*

<--

Persona 4 is teh best geam evar maed, so of course it's the best of the two.

I'm not saying 3 was bad, but the way the social links were handled kinda ruined it for me. The final boss was freaking epic, though. Best final boss I've ever fought in a game.

I have both, and Persona 4 is clearly the better of the two.

Persona 3 seeing as I haven't played 4 yet.
I should probably get 4 for my PS2 one of these days.

I'm a major atmosphere whore, so P3 tickles my fancy just a tad greater.

I much prefer 4. I like 3, but I really prefer 4. I like the characters more, the story is also better, the porotagonist in 3 doesn't have a totally adorable little cousin.

Persona 4 > Persona 3 Female Protagonist Route > Persona 3 Male Protagonist Route.

Actually before Persona 4, I didn't mind the Male Protagonist until I found out that you could make Social Links with all of your team members in Persona 4. Then I kind of resented the Male Protagonist for not joining up with any of the male members at all.

I generally consider the Persona 3 Portable Female Protagonist Route as the True Route for Persona 3, because all of my actions just felt more fulfilling by the end of the game than the Male Protagonist's route. I did find some sources somewhere saying that Persona 3 was originally supposed to have only a female protagonist but they opted out for some reason.

However Persona 4 is just better because the characters where more involved in the plot of things than people really imagined.

Oh Jesus this is a hard choice. I think P3 had a much better story, with much better (non-metaphorical, since the collective human consciousness is kinda sorta maybe the P4 antagonist) antagonists and The Dark Hour was so cool and so much lore/explanation/connection to the charterers. P4, on the other hand, did better in...every other category, especially in party interaction, where it just blew P3 out of the water. So I'll give the edge to P4, just ever so slightly though, both games are masterpieces.

3 is the better "game", 4 is the better "product". Although all in all, considering it... the persona games have never let me down, that said I did find FES tedious (at best). I suspect the series is over though, which is a shame.

Persona 4 is definitely my favorite.

The ability to give individual commands to party members alone makes the game far more entertaining than Persona 3's "fingers crossed" combat. That's not to say 3 is bad, because it isn't. I just find the gameplay much less frustrating in 4.

I also find the atmosphere and story in 4 to be much more interesting. Then there are the characters... Kanji alone makes that game for me. Between his hi-jinks, Yukiko's laughing fits and Teddie's puns, I can't remember the last time I had so much fun with a JRPG.

I'm really interested in seeing what they do with Persona 5(whenever that finally comes out).

Oh geez here we go...

Persona 4 without a doubt. Persona 3 had the much bigger plot, but I didn't find the characters as engaging and they don't get engaging unless you get FES and play the Answer campaign, not to mention only controlling the MC was a pain especially when you had to pray that your party's AI was having a good day, and farming was BLEGH. But it did have the best music, some of the characters that were deep were really deep and were a blast to see and hear, and imo had the greatest final boss in any RPG/video game ever made.

Persona 4 wins because I just about found every character likable, social links were done right, the story was down graded to something simplistic but ended up being more engaging then your typical "SAVE TEH WORLD" Persona 3 and every other game story had. Gameplay made it so you can control your entire party, the AI would take hits for you when you're down to no HP (aka THE BIGGEST LIFE SAVING FEATURE EVER), and overall the lighthearted atmosphere the game presents felt nice, different, and was overall original. It was a hell of an experience I wish I could play for the first time again.

Overall both games are fantastic and deserve the praise they get.

mfeff:
I suspect the series is over though, which is a shame.

Ha! Persona 5 is in development friend: http://www.polygon.com/gaming/2012/8/8/3228107/persona-5-development-underway-says-atlus

EternalNothingness:
Not so much with Persona 3. When playing as a male protagonist in the original, P3: FES, and P3P, you only have access to your female party-members' social-links. But, even as a female protagonist, where you can access both males' and females' social-links,

**snip** ... apparently I've played the Female path so many times, I've forgotten how Male works. Just looked at a Wiki and.. wow, Male Path social links suck.

You are correct that they wouldn't die for you in P3 (which was a wonderful new mechanic) but the "die for you" thing only actually worked about 10% of the time anyway, so it only helped so much.

OT: Persona 3. Specifically P3P. I liked the plot in Persona 3 better, but I liked some aspects of Persona 4 better - until they introduced a Female Protagonist and (most) of the mechanical upgrades from P4 back into P3 during P3P. So P3P is certainly the superior version, the best of both worlds.

Sorry P4, but your small town murder mystery is just... meh. Not bad, but not as interesting as P3.

Bara_no_Hime:

Now, admittedly, it has been a while since I played P3 without using the female protagonist. However, I remember everyone's Persona in Persona 3 evolving when I got their social link high enough.

It is true, in male protagonist route you can bond only with Yukari, Fuuka, Mitsuru and Aigis from your party. All party members receive their ultimate personas at some point in story, with your involvement or without it.

Hey, is there still room on the Persona 4 bus? There is? Then let me jump on it!

Personally, I feel that everything that Persona 3 did, Persona 4 did better. Better characters, better Social Links, better gameplay, better music, better bosses, better level design, etc.

Really, the only thing that Persona 3 did better was the final boss itself (since the Persona 4 final boss is slightly lackluster).

I prefer P4, it has more variety!! Plus, P3 was a little too depressing for me.

jehk:
I feel like you should distinguish been the male and female protagonists in Persona 3. Sure, I agree with your point about P3 social links not influencing combat. However, the majority of the P3 female protagonists were written after P4. The experience shows. Really makes me hopefully for P5.

For me its Persona 3 (female protag) >> Persona 4 >>>>>>>> Persona 3 (male protag).

She's actually fun to play as, yes? Very bubbly!! Where as P4's brotagonist feels a bit snarky and P3's brotagonist was... hmm, I have nothing!

Sack of Cheese:
She's actually fun to play as, yes? Very bubbly!!

She is. However, I feel like she can express a ton of different emotions. It's a big reason why she's my favorite protag out of the Persona series.

EDIT: More gushing. You can play her in so many different ways. A ditz. A brainiac. Miss popular. Emo child. Tsundere. Food maniac. Tomboy. One of the guys. Stoic. BFFs. A lot depends on the social link. For most it'll be a combination of many different emotions.

Alsozomgthatfuckingending.

jehk:

Sack of Cheese:

She is. However, I feel like she can express a ton of different emotions. It's a big reason why she's my favorite protag out of the Persona series.

EDIT: More gushing. You can play her in so many different ways. A ditz. A brainiac. Miss popular. Emo child. Tsundere. Food maniac. Tomboy. One of the guys. Stoic. BFFs. A lot depends on the social link. For most it'll be a combination of many different emotions.

That's why we need Persona 3: Golden with Female Protagonist Cutscenes!

IllumInaTIma:

jehk:

Sack of Cheese:

That's why we need Persona 3: Golden with Female Protagonist Cutscenes!

I'd totally support that. While Persona 3 Portable was awesome with the female protag. Persona 4 Golden did add a ton of depth to the romances with Valentine's Day, White Day, and the ski trip. It's probably why Persona 4 Golden inches ahead of Persona 3 Portable overall (gameplay changes included).

Out of the two, I prefer 4. But I enjoy them both very much.

mfeff:
3 is the better "game", 4 is the better "product". Although all in all, considering it... the persona games have never let me down, that said I did find FES tedious (at best). I suspect the series is over though, which is a shame.

Rejoice! It is not!

http://kotaku.com/5932878/the-people-who-make-persona-are-now-focusing-on-persona-5

Still in early development, though... but still! Persona 5!

I would say that mechanically Persona 4 definitely trumps Persona 3. The combat and social link are much more integrated. Teammates taking a fatal blow for you in combat was a great addition and having their personas transform at max social link was well thought out. That said I wouldn't really say the main draw of the persona series for me is its combat but rather its story.

In that case it really just comes down to one personal taste. I personally preferred Persona 3's darker themes than Persona 4's mystery. I thought some of the characters in Persona 4 were done better but overall I still found the plot of Persona 3 more to my liking.

Irridium:
Out of the two, I prefer 4. But I enjoy them both very much.

mfeff:

Rejoice! It is not!

http://kotaku.com/5932878/the-people-who-make-persona-are-now-focusing-on-persona-5

Still in early development, though... but still! Persona 5!

Supposedly, Persona 4 Arena is a lead up / tie in between Persona 3 and Persona 4 that will be used to launch Persona 5.

I'm really interested where they are going to go from here.

Does Persona 3 Portable count? It should, it had the best MC out of all the Persona games. I really enjoyed the characters of P3 and loved the mood of P4 and I feel like P3P managed to sit right in between both of them thanks to the FeMC. Her high spirits contrasted with the darker setting just perfectly.

I'm just disappointed we'll never get a HD treatment of P3P like we did with P4. I think that P3P is a 9.9/10 game regardless but it would be nice to see some more FeMC. I doubt we'll see any mention of FeMC in those videos regardless of how excellent a character she is because that person says that portable games don't count.

My personal griping aside, I would love it if the next Persona game had a canon female lead character. It's really refreshing playing through social links and thinking of men as possible love interests from the perspective of a female. Hell, I'd be lying if I didn't think of Aegis as a perfectly acceptable love interest for both Minato and FeMC.

If you have a Vita though, Persona 4 Golden is by far the greatest and most polished of all the Persona games to date. It's an utter shame that many players will never have the chance to play it because they can't or won't buy a Vita.

Both games are phenomenal with different strengths and weaknesses, which is all I ever ask of of a game. If you like one, you'll like the other.

The Wykydtron:
It has to be Persona 4. I kinda sorta absolutely despised the main character in Persona 3 and I can't turn down a good mystery story so yeah. Persona 4.

I can't remember if Persona 3 had the mechanic where a party member would take a killing blow for you but it's probably my favourite game mechanic ever. Saving you from restarting and making you more attached to that character? YUP!

Persona 3 portable did but it just took it from the original P4 among other things. Plus it didn't have them say any cool lines before saving you like P4 did. Those were the little things that made the characters much more likable for me. I also like how they changed it in Golden where you have to have their link at rank 9 instead of 1 so it makes you feel like you've really earned a companion willing to risk it all for you.

jehk:

Supposedly, Persona 4 Arena is a lead up / tie in between Persona 3 and Persona 4 that will be used to launch Persona 5.

Well Arena ended with introduction of new Character, new (or possibly old) Villain

and reformation of Investigation team that plans to move to Tatsumi Port Island. There are lot of way they can go.

IllumInaTIma:

jehk:

Well Arena ended with introduction of new Character, new (or possibly old) Villain

and reformation of Investigation team that plans to move to Tatsumi Port Island. There are lot of way they can go.

I know right! Pretty exciting. The new team and Elizabeth investigating "The Seal" (avoiding spoilers here). Sadly, I'm dreading a Squaresoft / Final Fantasy thing where the quality in games slowly drop. Doesn't have to be that way. P4A was a very pleasant surprise storywise. It's half the reason I'm excited.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here