18.9% (71)
No
67% (252)
67% (252)
Don't know/Undecided
13.6% (51)
13.6% (51)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: Honestly, was Xbox Live worth it this gen? Will you pay for it next gen?

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

To be fair, the only time I spent with XBL was with a free month trial I got, and I personally didn't see anything that I would pay for. But for people who have, or continue paying for it, was it really worth it? And do you think it will be worth it next gen?

No way in hell would I pay for Xbox Live. On the 360, they lock a bunch of features that are free everywhere else behind a pay wall, and then proceed to give you a crapload of ads. It's one of the biggest reasons I don't have a 360. If they pull this same shit next generation, it will be the fastest way to get me to not buy their console.

ohnoitsabear:
No way in hell would I pay for Xbox Live. On the 360, they lock a bunch of features that are free everywhere else behind a pay wall, and then proceed to give you a crapload of ads. It's one of the biggest reasons I don't have a 360. If they pull this same shit next generation, it will be the fastest way to get me to not buy their console.

I have a 360, but I don't pay for XBL. This does not bother me too much however because I am primarily a PlayStation gamer (I prefer the controller and Sony's devs better, but I'm not a fanboy and will play a good game on any system regardless. I respect other people's preferences) so it doesn't effect me too much.

But I'm curious as to how people that do pay for it feel, or at least used to pay for it anyway. And will this effect their system purchase next gen. But I do agree with you on the ad thing, I see them as a Silver member but it's not right that Gold members get them.

Sure, it's perfectly affordable and has always been stable, secure and all around awesome for me. Worth every penny IMHO.

No because aside from some games like Call of Duty and Assassin's Creed I don't play online and the only reason I even have XBL is so I can buy dlc which they block off from you if you don't have XBL gold.

Which I fucking hate because my membership ends next week and I don't feel like renewing it because I'm getting the new Tomb Raider game as soon as I get my paycheck from my part time job,therefore if there is any dlc that I want I will have to get a silver membership otherwise I won't be able to get any dlc.

the hidden eagle:
No because aside from some games like Call of Duty and Assassin's Creed I don't play online and the only reason I even have XBL is so I can buy dlc which they block off from you if you don't have XBL gold.

Which I fucking hate because my membership ends next week and I don't feel like renewing it because I'm getting the new Tomb Raider game as soon as I get my paycheck from my part time job,therefore if there is any dlc that I want I will have to get a silver membership otherwise I won't be able to get any dlc.

Man that sucks. I feel for you, but I think the Tomb Raider DLC is for the multiplayer, which is nothing special in my opinion. So you won't be missing out on too much.

I hope it works out for you, one thing I would like to see is XBL become more like PS+ (which I pay for), it's not fair that I get free games and stuff while my Xbox friends do not.

EDIT: Also I think there are 3 month XBL cards that are cheaper, and you can always check out Amazon for possible deals.

TheLycanKing144:

the hidden eagle:

Man that sucks. I feel for you, but I think the Tomb Raider DLC is for the multiplayer, which is nothing special in my opinion. So you won't be missing out on too much.

I hope it works out for you, one thing I would like to see is XBL become more like PS+ (which I pay for), it's not fair that I get free games and stuff while my Xbox friends do not.

EDIT: Also I think there are 3 month XBL cards that are cheaper, and you can always check out Amazon for possible deals.

I wish they had made it so where if you're online but your membership expires then you can still buy dlc,I just don't have the money to pay for something I barely use in order to acess certain parts I do use.

But I looked up deals on amazon and they have three month membership cards for cheap, right now though I'm going to have to hold off on it.Money is tight now and I barely made enough money to get the Tomb Raider game (my part time job pays me peanuts..).Thank god my college semester is over otherwise I'll would'nt be able to afford anything.

It was okay for me until I had to pay extra for BF3 online pass, I mean I've already payed money now I have to pay more to play?! It's not really fair...

Still overall, I've met some new people and had fun, that's worth the 5 euros per month.

EDIT: I forgot OP's topic :P

Probably not because I might not partake in the next gen due to some very shifty business practices such as the DRMs and social media gimmicks. I might go full PC for a few years even though I've been exclusively a console gamer for the last 9 years.

I only got it for the Mass Effect multiplayer and though I love it I doubt theres any other reason I need live

the hidden eagle:
I wish they had made it so where if you're online but your membership expires then you can still buy dlc,I just don't have the money to pay for something I barely use in order to acess certain parts I do use.

Silver membership is free, and you can still download everything. With demos you have to wait an extra week before you can download them, but other than that you can download whatever you need.

On topic, nope. The fact that they bombard you with ads regardless of whether you pay or not is insulting, plus add in reasons like them charging for stuff the other consoles give you free and I'm sure as hell not paying for that rubbish again.

It's besides the point anyway, as I'm not getting an Xbox 720 or whatever it'll be called. The forced inclusion of Kinect is more than enough to make stay away from that rubbish.

I think it's only worth it if you want to play MP games with specific people who only play on XBL.

Otherwise yeah, the same features are free on PSN/for PC games, so I don't see a lot of point (I use it when they have free weekends, or $1 trials but have never felt the need to go beyond that).

As far as next gen, I've no idea - I doubt it, but who knows - maybe there will be some selling point when the time comes.

the hidden eagle:

But silver is free - you don't need to pay to access the DLC menu/shop.

I've had some cool experiences on LIVE this generation- doing some of the Halo games on Legendary (Thanks to Spartan1Project for help with 3 and ODST), Borderlands 2 (still playing) some of the contracts I've played it Hitman... I'd say it's been worth it, and DLC's gotten a lot better since the start.

For next-gen? It depends on how many 360 games will be backwards compatible. If I can keep playing what I'm playing now, why fix what ain't broke? If not, I'll probably move to PS4, if only for Ratchet & Clank, Sly Cooper and the Assassin's Creed missions that have been exclusive to the console.

And Skyrim's DLC should finally work on PS3 by the time the PS4 comes out *Pointless take that followed by people ripping me a new one verbally*

Nah. I've never paid for it. I can get my multiplayer fix elsewhere and not be bombarded with ads when I go online.

Nah probably not. I probably won't even buy a next-gen Xbox. I mean, I can't think of any great exclusives for them, and Xbox Live is not a reason to stay either.

Nope, not worth it for me.

I don't play online mp and most of the extra stuff like Hulu or Netlix is either not available here, available for free somewhere else, doesn't interest me or a combination. So I see no point in paying for a service that I will barely get any use out of.

And concerning next gen, we'll see. But since Microsoft seems like it's staying the course, I doubt their offerings are going to hold a lot of appeal for me.

I haven't really thought about it that much.

However, now that you're forcing me to face it, my initial reaction is to say no. When they first went head-to-head, Microsoft provided a much better service then Sony. Now, Sony has not only caught up but I feel that they've surpassed Microsoft with the Playstation Plus program. It'll be pretty hard to convince me that it's still worth the money when Sony offers more for the same price.

I'm probably going to let my Gold run out this year, so it's unlikely that I will bother with next gen. I've lost my taste for competitive multiplayer, and system link is usually an option for co-op. I have two HD TVs, and all of my friends live nearby, so it's pretty easy to have a co-op night. Also, we could just use Xlink to bypass Live.

Gone Rampant:
I've had some cool experiences on LIVE this generation- doing some of the Halo games on Legendary (Thanks to Spartan1Project for help with 3 and ODST), Borderlands 2 (still playing) some of the contracts I've played it Hitman... I'd say it's been worth it, and DLC's gotten a lot better since the start.

For next-gen? It depends on how many 360 games will be backwards compatible. If I can keep playing what I'm playing now, why fix what ain't broke? If not, I'll probably move to PS4, if only for Ratchet & Clank, Sly Cooper and the Assassin's Creed missions that have been exclusive to the console.

And Skyrim's DLC should finally work on PS3 by the time the PS4 comes out *Pointless take that followed by people ripping me a new one verbally*

You do realise that PC and PS3 do the same if not better for free right? PC especially puts live to shame.

No I won't pay for live next gen, I don't for my 360. No point wasting money for a service PCs have done since god knows when and even the PS2 pulled off for free. It's a con Microsoft pulls on those that don't know any better

the hidden eagle:

When your Gold expires it automatically falls back to silver, does it not? Silver is free, which is obvious, because you can't do jackshit with silver.

OT: no. I had a great run with XBL but they have failed to keep up with today's standards so I won't be renewing it.

Yes it was worth the price to me this generation. No I will not be paying next time, less than the cost of a game per year (30) for playing with friends with pretty good voice chat integration? As a non-pc owning teenager this was a big deal to me. I've had a fine experience with it being stable and reliable and the fact that a lot of my friends used it as a primary form of communication made it almost required in my case.

Not using an xbox for a few months at the end of last year when I got my first good PC, when I saw the dashboard at a friend's house I almost cried.

It's covered in obnoxious noisy adds. On a paid service. That other companies offer ad-free and cost free. I found this remarkably insulting as a customer (for the record, I'm totally OK with non-gold advertising, but screw 'paying' twice for a not remarkable if competent service)

The lack of dedicated servers on said paid service (mostly) is also a major concern for me. Many a Halo3 / CoD4 game ruined due to disconnecting hosts / hosts with bad internet.

It's worth it because it's how I can play games with my friends. If my friends get XBoxes next gen, I will buy an XBox and get gold and it will be worth it.

Otherwise, not a chance.

I'm going to be very disappointed if Live continues to be a success next generation. Microsoft should be forced to step it up considering how well Sony's doing.

TheLycanKing144:
To be fair, the only time I spent with XBL was with a free month trial I got, and I personally didn't see anything that I would pay for. But for people who have, or continue paying for it, was it really worth it? And do you think it will be worth it next gen?

No, I don't tolerate it. I pay a good chunk of money into video gaming since it's close to the only thing I do (or can do) anymore, but this is one thing I won't pay for. Charging me extra money on top of my internet connection for multiplayer features is just wrong. On top of that I found the functionality of their multiplayer to be absolutly ridiculous. I bought time for XBL like twice when it came to fighting games I wanted to do online, however I found the community to be horrible, with a complete lack of any kind of policing complaints, so you had people routinely reporting each other for "unsportsmanlike conduct" whenever they would lose.

I eventually just stopped buying fighting games for the 360 and played them on my PS-3 where the multiplayer is free, and I haven't gotten one bogus complaint yet when I've played them. It has been a while though because my reflexs have gotten worse and worse over time and I keep messing up the tendons in my hand if I get too active. A big part of why I more or less stopped raiding/dungeoneering seriously in MMOs as well. I managed to render my left hand almost unusable for about a week while binging on nightmare modes in The Secret World (ie move and dodge roll constantly while popping off your damage rotation and occasional CC breaker or heal).

I wouldn't know, MY ONLINE IS FREE! *swirls brandy*

I always used to be a sucker for the xbox live gold because that's how I play Halo with my friends. But now that me and my friends have more or less moved on to PC's I find it difficult to justify paying for live. I used Netflix on it and didn't realize that was a gold only feature. The service I pay for can only be used by another service... that I pay for. Plus it is hidden by all that ad bullshit (excuse the language but it basically is). Why do I have to surf through menus were one of those many boxes that are used to push ads that I don't pay attention can easily fit my needs. If xbox live isn't free for next gen I may just skip it. I prefer the Sony exclusives anyway.

Nope.

The Halo games were an absolute blast and I have a ton of great memories from playing those games on Live, but I'm sick of the bullshit. The service is getting worse while the subscription fee goes up. And now I have that I have a PS3 also, why pay for something that I can get for free from them?

The only reason I paid for it in the first place was Halo and the many friends I have who play Halo. Now that the franchise is out of Bungie's capable hands (and 343's first attempt at a Halo game was lackluster, to put it kindly) I'm done with Live.

Of course, they still have to sell me on getting a next-gen console. Right now, I'm almost ready to join the PC Master Race.

I would never pay for XBL. I don't play enough online for it anyway, as I don't like competitive multiplayer in general, plus I despise the business practice. They not only lock out game features I already paid for by buying the game, they also hold Netflix et al. (i.e. paid third-party services) to ransom if I want to use them on Xbox. AND to add insult to injury, they force ads down their paying users' throats? Fuck that shit.

No, I've never owned an Xbox and when a friend told me how Xbox Live worked I was shocked. You mean you have to pay money just to used online services period? I personally understand how Xbox owners can tolerate it.

The threads poll is flawed, It should be polling Xbox owners or would be buyers. Playstation or PC loyalists who have no intention of buying a xbox have no bearing on this poll.

I consider myself foremost a "gamer" I own a PS3 Nintendo 3DS PC and Xbox 360 and play them all. I also buy yearly subscriptions for xbox live as I have for the past 7 years.

I really dont give the cost much thought. Xbox live has proven to be a good service with very little for me to complain about. Ive never logged in and seen that the service were unavailable or had issues with it of any kind.

So I plan to continue to pay for xbox live (provided the cost doesnt go up dramatically)when the xbox 720 or w/e they call it comes out.

btw I believe I have heard rumors that the PSN will be changing to a subscription based service akin to xbox live.

They say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. Xbox live is blushing.

edit: Nothing to see here, sorry.

Yes, because I use it to maintain contact with friends who I have moved away from. I play with them at least twice a week and I would gladly pay the same price to be able to play with and talk to my friends hundreds of miles away.

Apackof12Ninjas:

btw I believe I have heard rumors that the PSN will be changing to a subscription based service akin to xbox live.

PSN would be imitating XBL why? PSN gives you free games instead of just allowing you to play online, which it does for free anyway. If you mean they'll imitate by changing that, I sure hope not. This is not a rumor I've heard anywhere though.

OT: As an owner a 360 who has been paying for XBL for 3 or 4 years now, I must say that when my subscription expires at the end of this month, I won't likely be renewing it. I've started to play online games on PC as of late, although to be honest I haven't played many at all these days... I never purchase DLC, so their discounts don't matter to me either. I kept buying XBL because my friends were, but some have switched to PS3, while others just don't really play anymore.

I recently purchased PS+ with the money I'd normally have spent on XBL, because I think paying $50 a year for 12+ retail games, 12+ Downloadable only titles, and a bunch of other random things (including some good discounts) is a much better deal than paying $60 a year for just the ability to play online.

There aren't any ads on PS+ either (aside from game ads), so I'm not paying to be advertised to either.

We shall see if the switch pays off, but so far I've already downloaded and played Infamous 2 and Spec Ops: The Line from it. They've been great fun.

Xbox live is probably my best spent money. Depending on if next gen is as good as this gens was then yes I will buy it. Without Halo 3 on Xbox live I probably would have stopped playing games a fair while before I really got into them.

Nope. Not worth it now, and I doubt it will be much better next generation. I used to have gold, because they used to actually run decent deals with it, where you'd get it for a massively reduced rate, or with free games or microsoft points or something. They appear to have completely stopped doing deals for it now, so I'm completely done paying them for it. I don't really play multiplayer, and certainly not if I have to pay for the privilege, and any of the other features that would interest me (Netflix, 4od, iPlayer) I can access for free on my computer and just hook that up to the TV. For me, there is not a single compelling reason to spend money on it.

Of course, if anyone else does pay money for it and they enjoy the service, fair play to you. I'm not going to try and convince anyone that they're wrong. I'm just saying that for me, xbox live gold isn't worth it.

SonicKaos:

Apackof12Ninjas:

PSN would be imitating XBL why? PSN gives you free games instead of just allowing you to play online, which it does for free anyway. If you mean they'll imitate by changing that, I sure hope not. This is not a rumor I've heard anywhere though.

PSN has been imitating XBL features for a long time (cross game voice chat, trophies, micro transactions etc etc).
This is a good thing, as PlayStation Network when it launched was pretty terrible.

PSN+ was started because nothing in this world is free and Sony needs a buck or two to keep their services going.
Sony also announced that PSN titles and Im assuming PS+ games will not be transferable to the PS4. Which is a bitchslap move to its fanbase of which Im pissed about.

I recently purchased PS+ with the money I'd normally have spent on XBL, because I think paying $50 a year for 12+ retail games, 12+ Downloadable only titles, and a bunch of other random things (including some good discounts) is a much better deal than paying $60 a year for just the ability to play online.

Keep in mind those "free" games you get from PS+ are only "free" so long as you keep paying for PS+. The moment you cancel your PS+ service, all of those "free" games they give you are no longer playable.

They warn you of this before you purchase the service.

Xbox live is a service offered to me at a price. I determine whether or not its a acceptable one by either paying or not paying. If you dont think the quality of service it offers is worth the 6$ a month then by all means dont pay for it.

I guess I am just confused as to why people think "it should be free". The only reason Sony's service is free is because of Xbox live. I guarntee you that if XBL did not exist, Sonys PSN would not be free. Its called being competitive.

Fans of all sides should embrace the competition. Because competition breeds innovation.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked