18.9% (71)
No
67% (252)
67% (252)
Don't know/Undecided
13.6% (51)
13.6% (51)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: Honestly, was Xbox Live worth it this gen? Will you pay for it next gen?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Xbox live is a service that charges money to access services that are free or that you are already paying for.

Want to watch Netflix? Yeah, that's going to cost you more than just the price for Netflix. Want to go to Facebook? Yeah, we're going to charge money to do that. Want to check a basic website? Yup, we're charging you for that too.

Valve, Nintendo and Sony all offer free online services and I while Nintendo's service can deal with some criticism I have never had problem with Sony and Valve delivers a better service completely free.

Xbox Live Gold charges me for a service that is just as good or not as good as free services.

The first few years of this gen i would have said yes. Then it sloped downa for a few years. The past few weeks they have been doing some GREAT deals on live arcade and games on demand, which is nice. Still not as good a deals as steam or psplus yet though.

So... not sure. If i do ever get around to buying a nextbox i would pay for it, because i enjoy playing games online.

Its a solid service, they just trip up on actually rewarding the customers :/ Hopefully sales like the ones i mentioned continue to crop up and get better.

Yes, unless the XBox 720 convinces me not to buy it, which is a possibility, I suppose. But even so, I would probably keep XBL for my 360. I've had lots of fun, met some great people who have become real-life friends, and have easy access to tons of video content.

Certainly, the same could be said of every other online service. But XBL hasn't had the same outage issues the PSN has. And unlike Steam, it's never sold me a game which it then rendered unplayable due to interference from its own chat protocols.

Yes, you have to pay a monthly fee. It's 4 bucks. Which is about the price of a cup of coffee at Starbucks. And about a third of what a member of the PC Master Race would pay every month for World of Warcraft. ;)

The ability to take part in multiplayer should be a free fucking service. End of discussion.I bought your console, I play the games on it. What's the point in charging me? It doesn't improve matchmaking, connection, or security. It's extortion that should not be tolerated.

I pay because if I don't, I may as well smash my 360 with a hammer and shoot what's left of it, because that's about as useful as it's going to be.

Yopaz:
Xbox live is a service that charges money to access services that are free or that you are already paying for.

Want to watch Netflix? Yeah, that's going to cost you more than just the price for Netflix. Want to go to Facebook? Yeah, we're going to charge money to do that. Want to check a basic website? Yup, we're charging you for that too.

Valve, Nintendo and Sony all offer free online services and I while Nintendo's service can deal with some criticism I have never had problem with Sony and Valve delivers a better service completely free.

Xbox Live Gold charges me for a service that is just as good or not as good as free services.

Does Valve offer Netflix and Facebook too?

See there, I can nitpick too.

Its roughly 3.40$ a month if you can find the 13 month subscription cards. Closer to 5$ a month if you cant. Your paying for quality multiplayer service. Netflix facebook and its webbrowser are merely perks.

My point is, if your a xbox live silver member, who doesnt pay for the service because they dont feel like they should (or cant). Odds are that they have other means (easier means if you ask me) to access Netflix facebook and webbrowsing.

At the start of the generation I was happy to pay it. In my opinion gold seemed better than PSN for a significant enough margin to warrant my paying for it. As the gen went on my feelings on the matter began to change. Yes, the price per year has fallen from 40 to 30ish, but it's starting to feel like they're locking off unrelated features to force people into buying it (features that I never actually use).

Overall I've been happy with it this gen, but if MS try it again with the 720 I'll be changing to PS unless they include benefits to joining like PSN+, rather than the current benefits which are actually just letting you use apps that are free online anyway.

Absolutely.

It's the best online gaming service I have experienced and it's really quite cheap.

I'll pay 5 bucks a month for better security, more things and apps, more organization and better costumer support.

I never had a 360, nor will I be getting the NextBox. But Microsoft would be fools, absolute fools, to continue charging for Live. The only people I see putting up with another generation of paid online service are fanboys and those with a large enough expendable income.

Sony really stepped up the game with PlayStation Plus. You don't have to pay to use the full extent of the Network, but if you do, you get a wealth of discounts, free titles, early accesses, and all sorts of other extras.

Apackof12Ninjas:
Keep in mind those "free" games you get from PS+ are only "free" so long as you keep paying for PS+. The moment you cancel your PS+ service, all of those "free" games they give you are no longer playable.

They warn you of this before you purchase the service.

I've never heard of it, and the few times I've had PS+, I never received a warning like that.

I have both a Xbox and a PS3 and can definitely say that XBL is worth it. It looks and runs so much smoother than psn. I would prefer not having to pay for it with the next gen but if I have to I will.

The_Echo:
I've never heard of it, and the few times I've had PS+, I never received a warning like that.

Read the fine print, Its there.

Not worth it, it's not worth it, it's not a value it's not special it's just crap. There's no benifit to getting it, and to top it off you're paying for a service and being advertized to on it. On YOUR console, while you pay for their service.
No, it's mental to pay for it.

I'm not playing online with the exception of one or two matches just because, so I suppose not.

the hidden eagle:
No because aside from some games like Call of Duty and Assassin's Creed I don't play online and the only reason I even have XBL is so I can buy dlc which they block off from you if you don't have XBL gold.

I thought you'd get the DLC nonetheless? I can get my DLC even on silver membership.
Only demos get delayed for Silver membership.

If the next-gen Xbox still has Xbox Live Gold then i ain't effin' buying the console.

They actually tried this crap on the PC. As in actually tried to charge you to use multiplayer and access basic internet functions, with a straight face. They claimed they would add great features such as "match making" that would make PC gamers pay for it. Lasted about 6 months before they made it free. GFWL is still one of the most shameful things in PC gaming but they don't charge for it.

kman123:

OT: no. I had a great run with XBL but they have failed to keep up with today's standards so I won't be renewing it.

Same here, used it for Call of Duty 4 and Team fortress 2 a couple of years back, I would not mind playing them again but I am not forking out money to play multi-player when I can do it free on a PC or PS4. If they charge for on-line (which they will) with the next xbox, it will probably sway me to the PS4, and I have never ever bought a playstation before.

I don't use online gaming enough to justify a subscription for it.

I'm letting my renewal slip for XBL, I simply don't use my 360 that much since I bought a new gaming PC.

If the next console charges for it, I may not get it, the service isn't really worth it to be honest, especially since the majority of the fucking dashboard is full of adverts.

TheLycanKing144:
To be fair, the only time I spent with XBL was with a free month trial I got, and I personally didn't see anything that I would pay for. But for people who have, or continue paying for it, was it really worth it? And do you think it will be worth it next gen?

I paid for it when I was playing Gears 1 multiplayer and Call of Duty MW/MW2 multiplayer. After Gears 2's shameful MP and the CoD franchise's general descent into re-releasing the same game every 6 months, I stopped playing those games, and so stopped my XBL sub.

The sub service will live and die on the games that require it, not the other stuff.

Although part of the reason I stopped playing on XBL was due to the cost, I have to admit. However it wasn't the deal breaker - that was my loss of interest in the games.

Worth it this generation? Absolutely. It was my introduction to online multiplayer gaming.

But no, if they attempt to charge for it again, I'm not buying the new Xbox.

No. As soon as i got my PS3 i stopped buying multiplayer games for the Xbox. I mostly only used Gold for Blazblue anyways.

I stopped paying to use Xbox Live back in 2008 or 2009 whereas the last time I used it was when I got the freebie vaoucher with Reach. It's just not worth it to me. The only thing I can't do on my PC that I can do on Live is play Halo or Gears with other people and I just don't like those games enough to want to play them online. Now if you'll excuse me, I have so Netflix to watch.

For clarification: I'm not really a loyalist to any console and by no means am I a PC gamer. The 360 is the console I went back too in 2009 when I was disillusioned (to an extent) by the PS3. I've used Xbox Live enough to know that it isn't worth it when I can play multiplatform games online with people on the PS3 or Wii U.

Nah. The ads, the stupid one month exclusive dlc bullshit and the fact that we get almost nothing for 60$/year isn't worth the generally better online service. PS+ actually gives you free AAA games and discounts.

And the only multiplayer games I have this gen are BC2 and ME3 so I don't have much use for it anymore.

And considering how much I adore JRPGs now it's pretty much a no-brainer for me to get a PS4 instead of the 720.

If Sony's online was more stable there would be no reason to get Gold instead of PS+.

All of this coming from a 360 fanboy mind you.

I have used it in the past for the odd month where a game was out worth playing but generally it is a massive con. But when i compare it to my experiences of PC gaming i'd say it's worth it to a small degree...you don't get that many cheaters through XBL but on the PC *shudders*...i swear there are more cheaters than genuine players

I don't know why anyone would pay for xbox live. Every console is now online, and Live is the only one that requires you to pay for it. That's bad enough, but you would think that having to pay for it would also keep the community cleaner. Nope. Not only do you have to pay for it, but xbox live has a reputation of being one of, if not the, worst online communities out there. A reputation that is not undeserved if you play on it or listen to any of the voice chat that goes on in recordings on youtube or any other video service. Other consoles are free online, and they seem to have much less of a problem with bad members of its community in comparison.

I responded with "yes" but its a tenitive yes. We have no confirmation on what the next XBL will be like yet, so I am reserving final judgement for then.

I think the question of "is it worth it" really depends on what/who you play with. I play a lot of shooters with friends on Xbox, so XBL is worth it for me.

If you are primarily a single player gamer, or don't play a lot of online co-op/multiplayer then I would say no, its not worth it. I do agree with many of the comments here, that the torrent of ads and lack of services on a Gaming platform which are tailored to gaming has always bothered me. This concern isn't alleviated by the Wii U or the Xbox 720/PS4 either in a sense, but I do enjoy Sony's consoles more than microsofts for their exclusives.

If you're someone who enjoys online gaming and you don't have the luxury of being able to choose between platforms for whatever reason I guess xbox live is worth it. It has to be, you don't have much of a choice.

For anyone else, I'm finding it hard to justify though. I mean, back in the day it would have cost you a wooping 180 Euros to play Halo 3 in its complete form online. 60 Euros for the game. 60 Euros for xbox live. 60 Euros for DLC. This is the case for most popular multiplayer games nowadays, and it is absolutely ridiculous, especially when you consider you get spammed with adverts anyway.

This is from a European point of view though. I here the folks in the US get a whole range of goodies with their xbox live gold subscriptions, ESPN access being one example I can remember. For the longest time we Europeans got none of that, and even now I think its limited to social media like Facebook and Twitter access.

The thing is, I can have close to everything xbox live gold offers for free as a PC gamer. Voice chat? Skype. Facebook, Twitter, ESPN, streams? Firefox. Online play? Comes "for free" with the game you buy, unless you want to rent a dedicated server.

Anyhow, bottom line is this: whether xbox live gold was worth it is subjective. It was and is a rotten deal for me and I suspect it will continue to be one in the next generation, but theres people out there in different situations with different tastes.

I'm not going to participate in the poll, because unless I win a next gen console, I won't be playing next gen. That said, I got a lot of enjoyment out of xbox live. Hell, significantly more than half of my playtime on the 360 is online multiplayer.

Yopaz:

Except online play. You can't play your online 360 multiplayer without it. That's what most of us do with our xbox live, far more than the other stuff

FFP2:
Nah. The ads, the stupid one month exclusive dlc bullshit and the fact that we get almost nothing for 60$/year isn't worth the generally better online service. PS+ actually gives you free AAA games and discounts.

Aren't the games the main draw of PS+ though? In that case, they're not really free. That's what you're paying for.

Apackof12Ninjas:

Yopaz:

Does Valve offer Netflix and Facebook too?

See there, I can nitpick too.

Its roughly 3.40$ a month if you can find the 13 month subscription cards. Closer to 5$ a month if you cant. Your paying for quality multiplayer service. Netflix facebook and its webbrowser are merely perks.

My point is, if your a xbox live silver member, who doesnt pay for the service because they dont feel like they should (or cant). Odds are that they have other means (easier means if you ask me) to access Netflix facebook and webbrowsing.

Steam got a built in Browser capable of letting you view Netflix and Facebook so yeah, they do let me use Netflix and Facebook. Also does the Xbox really offer these things?

Netflix offers Netflix. Facebook offers Facebook. Microsoft charges money for a service that is either free or already paid for.

When it's all said and done, I do believe it was well worth the price of admission to be a paid XBL member. I've paid almost the entire time I've had an 360, and to be honest I'd have felt naked without it. I haven't worried about my service going down for a few months due to hacking or anything like that. Going forward however, I do think it'd be in MS's best interests to add a bit more value to the service. It was nice of them to detach FB and Netflix from the service, so you don't need to pay for those, but PSN+ set a new standard. I'd like access to some free games or something to feel like I'm getting "more" for the amount they're charging.

I've never paid for it and I probably never will unless the nature of the service becomes drastically different.

When Steam drastically outstrips XBL as a service, and is entirely free; and when PSN+ offers really great discounts and free games for members... it's a downright rip off. All you get is the ability to play games online, which has been free on PC since MUDs and Warcraft 2 were around.

I should also note on the Xbox multiplayer games are by and large peer to peer with one player acting as a host, which is pretty terrible. You're not even paying for servers. It's a scam.

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

Aren't the games the main draw of PS+ though? In that case, they're not really free. That's what you're paying for.

Yeah but the total value of the games offered are way more than 60$

FFP2:

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

They're still not free. That was my point.

Besides though: you lose the games when you lose PS+, which diminishes their value rather radically.

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

FFP2:

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

They're still not free. That was my point.

Besides though: you lose the games when you lose PS+, which diminishes their value rather radically.

I hear this argument brought up but it doesn't work if you are paying for Gold. You are right that Plus is essentially a rental service, but so is XBL. What happens if you don't renew your Gold subscription? No more Halo online, no more COD multiplayer, you don't really own any of these games with XBL. You only own a portion and MS owns the rest, you pay MS a fee to rent the rest of your content that you already paid for.

The only difference is that one is an option (Plus) and the other is pretty much forced on you (XBL). Without XBL there isn't much point in the 360 platform or most of it's exclusives because you can't get the full experience without Gold. And comparing the value of the two alone, Plus kicks XBL to the curb.

The fee is one of the main reasons I don't have a 360. For a while it was mostly the rrod holding me back but after that was fixed, the online charge was still enough of a deterrent.
It just doesn't seem worth it to me.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked