19.1% (72)
No
67.3% (253)
67.3% (253)
Don't know/Undecided
13.6% (51)
13.6% (51)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: Honestly, was Xbox Live worth it this gen? Will you pay for it next gen?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

SirDeadly:
I have both a Xbox and a PS3 and can definitely say that XBL is worth it. It looks and runs so much smoother than psn. I would prefer not having to pay for it with the next gen but if I have to I will.

Forgive me as I'm not antagonizing you or anything, your opinion is welcomed. But I don't buy it when people say XBL is "much smoother than PSN", I have to stop you there. I have played games on both before and I didn't notice any difference between playing over XBL and PSN. COD, GTA4, and plenty of others all played the exact same on XBL as they did on PSN.

Which makes sense as most games are P2P, the "smoothness" of an online performance simply is based on your internet connection and the host. It has nothing to do with PSN or XBL.

TheLycanKing144:
I hear this argument brought up but it doesn't work if you are paying for Gold. You are right that Plus is essentially a rental service, but so is XBL. What happens if you don't renew your Gold subscription? No more Halo online, no more COD multiplayer, you don't really own any of these games with XBL. You only own a portion and MS owns the rest, you pay MS a fee to rent the rest of your content that you already paid for.

The only difference is that one is an option (Plus) and the other is pretty much forced on you (XBL). Without XBL there isn't much point in the 360 platform or most of it's exclusives because you can't get the full experience without Gold. And comparing the value of the two alone, Plus kicks XBL to the curb.

I'm not really looking to compare PS+ to Live, I don't know why you're so eager to. Could talk about the advantages Live has over PSN (and vice versa here) but this PS vs Xbox crap ended years ago and I'm not looking to revive it. The launch of the PS4 and 720 will do that soon enough.

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

TheLycanKing144:
I hear this argument brought up but it doesn't work if you are paying for Gold. You are right that Plus is essentially a rental service, but so is XBL. What happens if you don't renew your Gold subscription? No more Halo online, no more COD multiplayer, you don't really own any of these games with XBL. You only own a portion and MS owns the rest, you pay MS a fee to rent the rest of your content that you already paid for.

The only difference is that one is an option (Plus) and the other is pretty much forced on you (XBL). Without XBL there isn't much point in the 360 platform or most of it's exclusives because you can't get the full experience without Gold. And comparing the value of the two alone, Plus kicks XBL to the curb.

I'm not really looking to compare PS+ to Live, I don't know why you're so eager to. Could talk about the advantages Live has over PSN (and vice versa here) but this PS vs Xbox crap ended years ago and I'm not looking to revive it. The launch of the PS4 and 720 will do that soon enough.

Well to be fair, you did bring up Plus so it's only natural in a discussion about XBL that people compare the two. I'm not interested in doing a PS vs Xbox thread either, I don't believe in that system wars nonsense. To me all gamers are equal regardless of their prefence, it doesn't make someone "wrong" for preferring one system over another.

In my opinion, it's worth it if you play online a whole bunch. You know, make it cost-effective.
I don't ever really online so for me it's not worth it.

the hidden eagle:
No because aside from some games like Call of Duty and Assassin's Creed I don't play online and the only reason I even have XBL is so I can buy dlc which they block off from you if you don't have XBL gold.

Dude, you can download DLC with a Silver account. Silver accounts are free.

No bungie (if its not bungie's halo its not worth shit), friends switching to sony, sony offering a better service for less.. theyd have to pull something pretty extraordinary out of their ass to make me ever get another xbox

I think it's funny that they've managed to convince a generation that paying for something we were doing for free on the PC for years is somehow acceptable.

I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt for this console generation, though, since the 360 was the first console to have a stable online function (although how much of that was down to them and how much was just the inevitable result of huge improvements in internet connections I don't know) but I would love to hear how the plan to justify it if it's getting carried over to their next console.

All I know is, I've never had a problem using my PS3 online capabilities (except for that fuck up which, let's be fair, could have happened to either company) and from what I've seen Xbox Live in no way does anything better to the point where I'd consider paying for the service.

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

They're still not free. That was my point.

Besides though: you lose the games when you lose PS+, which diminishes their value rather radically.

I get your point.

But really, is there any reason to not get PS+? I'm genuinely asking (don't have a PS3).

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

FFP2:

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

Aren't the games the main draw of PS+ though? In that case, they're not really free. That's what you're paying for.

Yeah but the total value of the games offered are way more than 60$

Besides though: you lose the games when you lose PS+, which diminishes their value rather radically.

Up until a month ago I agreed with you. Free games that disappear when stop paying for the service? Disgraceful!

However, when you look closer at it, most of the games they offer for free are singleplayer-focused games, and when you download them, they are active for 90 days. That is a long time to play through the game. Time enough for a second run too, if you are so inclined. After that, does it matter whether you "lose" the game or not?

In the last month I have played Infamous 2, Little Big Planet 2, F1 Stars, and Gravity Rush. That alone is worth the 11 I paid for a 3-month pass.
EDIT - I forgot Sleeping Dogs and God Of War. Downloaded but not yet played.

OT: I had Live since Halo 2, and until the last year I never regretted it. Now I don't have time to play multiplayer games, and so it really isn't worth me paying 40 for a service I can't use. I'll reserve my judgement over the 720 until we hear more about it. Same goes for the PS4.

spartan231490:

Yopaz:
Xbox live is a service that charges money to access services that are free or that you are already paying for.

Want to watch Netflix? Yeah, that's going to cost you more than just the price for Netflix. Want to go to Facebook? Yeah, we're going to charge money to do that. Want to check a basic website? Yup, we're charging you for that too.

Valve, Nintendo and Sony all offer free online services and I while Nintendo's service can deal with some criticism I have never had problem with Sony and Valve delivers a better service completely free.

Xbox Live Gold charges me for a service that is just as good or not as good as free services.

Except online play. You can't play your online 360 multiplayer without it. That's what most of us do with our xbox live, far more than the other stuff

By that train of logic Xbox 360 controllers are worse than Nintendo 64 controllers because they don't work on a Nintendo 64. Steam offers a much better experience for online multiplayer than Xbox Live gold. Sure you can't use Steam's online multiplayer on Xbox 360, but Xbox Live's multiplayer has actually prevented me from playing PC games online.

I used to like Xbox Live. Then I got a PS3 and realized I was paying 60 bucks a year to be able to chat outside of the game, cause that's literally the only thing it offers over PSN that I've seen (and something that could easily be added next generation.)

Nope.

Lots of PS fanboys in this thread, I can tell. And btw, you don't have to have gold membership to buy DLCs. That's just for special offers etc.

The service is pretty good, and considering the time I spend on my xbox, it's well worth my money. A lot better and more stable than the PSN, from what I've heard, tho I guess that is fair when the PSN is free.

I have a feeling that most people are saying no just because they don't WANT to pay for it - but fact of the matter is up until Sony got their shit together with Playstation Plus - Xbox Live was the best thing going and still is to this day. I grew frustrated with Sony's online system and their inability to figure out how to do a blasted thing - so much so that in the end I gave it all up and happily subscribed for another year of Live.

At this point, Im probably gonna buy a PS4 and use the possibly crappy PSN over buying the 720 and paying $50 a year for maybe only a few games that I play for about a month or two and than stop.

Right now, if it wasnt for Blops 2, I probably wouldnt have Gold.

I wont be paying for it but its not because I hate the service or think its not worth it. I just hate multiplayer in general, if I wanted to be sociable I would fucking go out and be sociable not fire up the old console/PC and play a game or two with some screaming 5 year old who has apparently slept with my mother. That and its seeping into games it shouldn't be anywhere near and is quickly curb stomping single player.

You get what you pay for. I like the PS3, but hate PSN. I pay for Xbox Live now, and I'll pay for it then, too.

Nope, because I've never paid for it. The whole idea is idiotic. Plus I rarely play games online, and if I do it is on PC.

Nope. I got XBL for one year, and I haven't had it for three years. Not worth it for me, I'm going to get a PS4 next gen unless Microsoft decides to offer their online service for free.

They're not going to compete with free services like Steam, PSN, Nintendo's service, Origin, etc, unless they can lower the price for their customers. Microsoft got away with it last console cycle because they were the first ones to release their system. They're way behind now, and they're going to pay for it if they try to force their customers to pay over and over again.

I've been an XBL Gold member for about 6 years, and I'm seriously considering not even buying the next Xbox already. The PS4 sounds way better, and PC's still outweigh anything Sony and MS cook up. Or those other consoles that just look terrible already.

But, if something does persuade me to get the next Xbox instead of the PS4 then I'll probably pay for premium membership, assuming they keep the same price.

Yopaz:

spartan231490:

Yopaz:
Xbox live is a service that charges money to access services that are free or that you are already paying for.

Want to watch Netflix? Yeah, that's going to cost you more than just the price for Netflix. Want to go to Facebook? Yeah, we're going to charge money to do that. Want to check a basic website? Yup, we're charging you for that too.

Valve, Nintendo and Sony all offer free online services and I while Nintendo's service can deal with some criticism I have never had problem with Sony and Valve delivers a better service completely free.

Xbox Live Gold charges me for a service that is just as good or not as good as free services.

Except online play. You can't play your online 360 multiplayer without it. That's what most of us do with our xbox live, far more than the other stuff

By that train of logic Xbox 360 controllers are worse than Nintendo 64 controllers because they don't work on a Nintendo 64. Steam offers a much better experience for online multiplayer than Xbox Live gold. Sure you can't use Steam's online multiplayer on Xbox 360, but Xbox Live's multiplayer has actually prevented me from playing PC games online.

You know, some of us prefer playing games with a controller, on our couch, with a full tv screen, instead of with a keyboard, at a desk, with a moniter. Steam doesn't let me play that way, and even if it did, it wouldn't let me play with my friends. Therefore, for people like me, gold offers an experience that is infinitely better than steam. Also, your argument about controllers is the worst false analogy I've ever seen, and I watch politics.

FFP2:

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

I get your point.

But really, is there any reason to not get PS+? I'm genuinely asking (don't have a PS3).

If you are only interested in a few games and don't want to play most of the games on the platform? And if you don't care about free avatars and stuff. I don't think many people do actually.

Deathlyphil:

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

FFP2:

Yeah but the total value of the games offered are way more than 60$

Up until a month ago I agreed with you. Free games that disappear when stop paying for the service? Disgraceful!

However, when you look closer at it, most of the games they offer for free are singleplayer-focused games, and when you download them, they are active for 90 days. That is a long time to play through the game. Time enough for a second run too, if you are so inclined. After that, does it matter whether you "lose" the game or not?

In the last month I have played Infamous 2, Little Big Planet 2, F1 Stars, and Gravity Rush. That alone is worth the 11 I paid for a 3-month pass.
EDIT - I forgot Sleeping Dogs and God Of War. Downloaded but not yet played.

OT: I had Live since Halo 2, and until the last year I never regretted it. Now I don't have time to play multiplayer games, and so it really isn't worth me paying 40 for a service I can't use. I'll reserve my judgement over the 720 until we hear more about it. Same goes for the PS4.

I wouldn't once imply PS+ is a bad deal. On the contary, it appears to be a great one. But let me answer this:

Deathlyphil:
After that, does it matter whether you "lose" the game or not?

I've completed The Witcher 2 3 times in 2 different years. Fable roughly 10 times since it came out for the original Xbox. Mass Effect 2 twice, once in 2011 or so and once recently. Just to name a few.

These last few weeks I've been playing AoE3 single player, a game released in 2005, Dungeon Keeper 2, a game released back in 1997, Shogun 2, released in 2010 (I think?) and Oblivion, released in 2006.

Does that answer your question? Not all of us throw games into a corner never to play them again once we've beaten them or reached the max level.

Not an easy answer for me. In a perfect world Microsoft would make XBL (gold that is) free. I can't say it's necessarily worth the full price, since all the time I spend playing single-player games is time I don't use the service.
Yet some of my favorite moments in gaming were alongside my friends online.

If my friends were to get Nextboxes, I'd probably succumb. If not, I wouldn't pay. Ah well, I'll probably sit out the next gen for years anyway.

spartan231490:

Yopaz:

spartan231490:

You know, some of us prefer playing games with a controller, on our couch, with a full tv screen, instead of with a keyboard, at a desk, with a moniter. Steam doesn't let me play that way, and even if it did, it wouldn't let me play with my friends. Therefore, for people like me, gold offers an experience that is infinitely better than steam. Also, your argument about controllers is the worst false analogy I've ever seen, and I watch politics.

It doesn't change the facts at hand though. Steam is more stable. Steam is free. Steam offers a better service.

I have a Wii, a PS3, a Xbox 360, a Wii U and a gaming PC so I have tested the different online systems. Steam offers the best one. It's not my preference. It is what I have experienced through testing them all. There's also nothing with PC that prevents you from playing on the couch with a controller on your TV. With a PC you can choose whatever controller you want. Want a Nintendo 64 controller, an Atari controller, Xbox 360, PS3, Wii or some of the custom PC controllers out there? Pick your favourite, it most likely works.

Yes, I used a false analogy. You did so first and I was merely pointing out your false analogy, but you chose to ignore that. However, I was being completely honest when I said that Xbox Live does in fact prevent me from playing certain PC games online. Say what you will about Sony and Nintendo, they have at least never fucked up PC games online with their systems.

You started out by acting like Xbox had a better service, now you are talking about preference. I think it's clear that when someone who prefers Xbox can't think of a reason why it's objectively better, then it's not better.

Edit: I figured I'd point out your false analogy in case you have forgotten it:

I got Wii for my Nintendo needs, and then had to choose between PS3 and XBOX360 for my other console.

And the reason I chose PS3 is because how XBL works (as well as what I heard about their tendency to break).

It started out great and then continually went downhill. Now I don't want it anymore. I won't bother after my most recent two years of renewal are up. It was fun until all the things like advertisements, a focus on everything other than gaming, and online passes became popular.

RIP my gold account.

Apackof12Ninjas:

Keep in mind those "free" games you get from PS+ are only "free" so long as you keep paying for PS+. The moment you cancel your PS+ service, all of those "free" games they give you are no longer playable.

They warn you of this before you purchase the service.

I like how people still use this like its a bad thing against PS+ and then turn around and defend a pay to play service that gives them nothing for free, nothing superior, and load of ads and other bullshit.

OT: The only time I ever used XBL was back on the original xbox because my copy of Doom 3 came with a 2 month pass. I was more than fed up with it long before the 2 months were up.

I cannot fathom the idea of spending money on a "service" that makes you pay to use other services that you already pay for, gives you nothing in return, and has the same or even inferior online capabilities.

Microsoft is running a scam and I feel real sorry for the saps that fall into it.

I didn't get the 360 because I felt the technology wasn't a big enough change.

With what console gaming has become with its online subscriptions, passes, and all the other garbage publishers are pushing, along with their plans to make it even more restrictive with the new consoles, I'll probably pass again and upgrade my computer.

The best halo was the first one anyway.

Like a lot of people on here, I'm not the most social person. Playing on XBL helped me have a lot more enjoyable social experiences, which helped me a little with "real-world" interactions and led to me going on one of the longest trips I've ever been on... to go to a LAN party. It was pretty awesome. All of that could've happened with less money changing hands, but I think it was worth it.
Just looking at it from a time vs. dollars standpoint, particularly time out of any given day or week, it's more iffy. If they keep roughly the setup they have now, I'll probably pay for XBL at least a few times on the next Xbox. If they make things more frustrating, or if they increase the price again in the next 4-5 years, I'll be seriously reconsidering paying for it.

I bought the system, I bought the game, I bought the TV, I bought the controller, I bought the hard drive, I pay for the power, I pay for the internet connection.

I'm not paying them a single dime more so that after I paid for all these things they require for me to play their damn game, they can leech more for such a craptastic and ad ridden service. Hell, they even want me to pay them so I can watch my netflick that I was also already paying for. For that matter, they can keep that giant DRM brick they call the 720 to themselves, my PC games don't charge me extra to play them and there are fewer prepubers shouting in my ear about what they did to my mom.

definitely not, I've had gold for 3 years now and it's just a complete ripe off,my friend who has play-station gets about a game a month for free,and what do we get 20 ms point on Xbox live rewards and we have to fill in a stupid survey.
And the joke is my subscription has just ran out so now it's saying i can't watch NETFLIX even tho i pay for it separably.

So Xbox has just lost another customer,just bought a new graphics card instead of Xbox live.
PC gaming here i come.

Didn't buy it this gen as I thought it was a waste of money and as far as I'm concerned it will continue to be a waste of meny.

i cant believe people still pay for that rip off. the amount of ad's is disgusting.

I bought Xbox LIVE when it was brand new for the original XBOX, and then it was worth it. I paid for the starter package and 50 bucks for a year of service.

It gave players free updates and DLC such as new items or maps for some time; No commercials, no adverts, and simple quick interface. I paid for it until DLC started costing extra and canceled my service, which still allowed me to keep the DLC and things I already had instead of losing access to them.

Once they had enough customers, they felt they could start demanding extra money and start showing commercials rather than keep it free (other than paying for the service).

Therumancer:
I bought time for XBL like twice when it came to fighting games I wanted to do online, however I found the community to be horrible, with a complete lack of any kind of policing complaints, so you had people routinely reporting each other for "unsportsmanlike conduct" whenever they would lose.

I eventually just stopped buying fighting games for the 360 and played them on my PS-3 where the multiplayer is free, and I haven't gotten one bogus complaint yet when I've played them.

You had the same experience as me it seems I got loads of unsportsmanlike conduct ratings when I was playing SF4 ranked (and doing well) I even got one death threat because I trounced some guy when I was going for my 10 ranked wins in a row (so I was going full on). But since I switched to PSN I have had 1 hate mail and countless GG messages as well as advice on how to improve and friend requests I dont know why this is exactly.

Anyway for me Gold was a complete waste of money I had it for about 3-4 years and was actually paying for two subscriptions at one point because Microsoft fucked up and then wouldnt cancel it and in that time I think I probably spent about 30 hours playing online it functioned fine but really PC and PS3 do the same thing and for free.

I much prefer PSN as I dont often go online but its nice to know I can at anytime usually once every few months I have a bash online for a while if a game takes my fancy and then I leave it again.

I wont be getting the new xbox anyway if what I have heard about locking games to systems and having to be always online is true to be honest it wouldnt surprise me if paying for gold is mandatory on the next xbox if you want to play any game online or off, they will probably reason it with well most people pay for it anyway so we wont lose much.

On a side note both myself and a friend have had massive trouble getting our card details off Xbox Live they just keep automatically renewing your damn membership I actually cancelled my card in the end while my friend is still paying they just recently charged him for another year which he is pretty pissed off about as it was supposed to have been stopped and he dosent play on the xbox anymore. Really for the amount he has spent on the subscription over the years he could have bought a PS3 and some games by now.

I find it funny people all state it it was worth it the first 6 years and not the last two year, but somehow that adds up to the entire gen.

Come on guys, you get tons of content unloked with gold, the only thing they may think about changing is MP.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here