XCOM: Enemy Unknown crashing after 2-3 minutes

Frustrated new XCOM player here. I've Googled this problem, checked both the 2K and the Steam forums to no avail, and now turn to the Escapist. I'll cut to the chase: XCOM crashes after merely sitting at the main menu for barely 3 minutes. This cannot be a coincidence, either.

I tried this multiple times to make sure this was really a problem, reinstalled the game twice now, validated my steam local cache for the game data, and still the problem persists. My laptop is more than well enough to run the game as it ran just fine last night for about 2 hours with no problems. I can't even go into the graphics options at the present moment to tweak the display settings to get the most out of my game without the game locking up.

I get the "XCOM: Enemy Unknown has stopped working" window with everything behind it becoming black.

Are there any other players having this problem that would possibly be willing to share a solution with me? Please?

Running Windows 7 64-bit, if that helps.

...anybody?

I could really use some help here.

Try running it in safemode and if that works tweak the settings.

Only thing I can think of.

never had any issues

Z of the Na'vi:
Frustrated new XCOM player here. I've Googled this problem, checked both the 2K and the Steam forums to no avail, and now turn to the Escapist. I'll cut to the chase: XCOM crashes after merely sitting at the main menu for barely 3 minutes. This cannot be a coincidence, either.

I tried this multiple times to make sure this was really a problem, reinstalled the game twice now, validated my steam local cache for the game data, and still the problem persists. My laptop is more than well enough to run the game as it ran just fine last night for about 2 hours with no problems. I can't even go into the graphics options at the present moment to tweak the display settings to get the most out of my game without the game locking up.

I get the "XCOM: Enemy Unknown has stopped working" window with everything behind it becoming black.

Are there any other players having this problem that would possibly be willing to share a solution with me? Please?

Running Windows 7 64-bit, if that helps.

It's only XCOM that crashes, correct? Everything else in your computer functions perfectly?

My first instinct is a heat issue, but if that was the case, more than just XCOM would be having problems.

If everything else works fine, then most likely what's going on is that it tries to access a file or something that it does not have permission to access and/or does not exist. I'd recommend trying to run it in administrator mode and see if that helps any.

Or it could be a corrupted install. Try uninstalling it, then going into the ~\Steam\steamapps\common folder and manually deleting the XCOM entry in there. If the folder's there and won't let you delete it, the issue is a corrupted file in there. You can generally fix that issue by restarting and then deleting ASAP after the computer boots up.

That's the best I can come up with with the limited information given.

This mod is the first thing that pops in my head.
http://xcom.nexusmods.com/mods/4

I had a lot of trouble with cut scenes on the PS3 version, maybe that mod can help. Alternatively maybe someone in the mod community can better assist you.

If it works beware though, you will have naked little solders running around before you know it :P

Are you overclocking anything/what are your specs/what other programs do you have running?

Agayek:
It's only XCOM that crashes, correct? Everything else in your computer functions perfectly?

My first instinct is a heat issue, but if that was the case, more than just XCOM would be having problems.

If everything else works fine, then most likely what's going on is that it tries to access a file or something that it does not have permission to access and/or does not exist. I'd recommend trying to run it in administrator mode and see if that helps any.

Or it could be a corrupted install. Try uninstalling it, then going into the ~\Steam\steamapps\common folder and manually deleting the XCOM entry in there. If the folder's there and won't let you delete it, the issue is a corrupted file in there. You can generally fix that issue by restarting and then deleting ASAP after the computer boots up.

That's the best I can come up with with the limited information given.

Correct, only XCOM has this problem. Never had anything like this happen before. If it matters, I have all my Steam game files located on an external hard drive. This hasn't stopped me from enjoying my games before, so I'm confused as to why XCOM has such difficulty. What you suggest makes sense though, I'll look around a bit some more.

Itdoesthatsometimes:
This mod is the first thing that pops in my head.
http://xcom.nexusmods.com/mods/4

I had a lot of trouble with cut scenes on the PS3 version, maybe that mod can help. Alternatively maybe someone in the mod community can better assist you.

If it works beware though, you will have naked little solders running around before you know it :P

I'll give this a try, thank you very much for the response.

ResonanceSD:
Are you overclocking anything/what are your specs/what other programs do you have running?

To answer your questions in order, Resonance:

1) No, I doubt my laptop could do anything like that, heh.

2) CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T9600 @ 2.80GHz

CPU Speed: 2.8 GHz

RAM: 4.1 GB

OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional Edition Service Pack 1 (build 7601), 64-bit

Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT

Free Disk Space: 586.3 GB

3) None, just Steam whenever I "play" the game.

Z of the Na'vi:
Correct, only XCOM has this problem. Never had anything like this happen before. If it matters, I have all my Steam game files located on an external hard drive. This hasn't stopped me from enjoying my games before, so I'm confused as to why XCOM has such difficulty. What you suggest makes sense though, I'll look around a bit some more.

The external HD shouldn't be an issue, unless the hardware itself is bad and some segment of the disk that the game is installed on is bad. That wouldn't persist over multiple installs though, so that's almost certainly not the issue.

Thinking about it further, it may also be a driver/directX issue. If it tries to invoke an API call that doesn't exist in your system's drivers, it could easily crash. Make sure you're up to date with your video card drivers.

Z of the Na'vi:

Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT

There's your problem, get a new laptop.

Z of the Na'vi:

I would recommend trying to run your game off your computer's internal HDD rather than the external one and see if that makes a difference. I have a friend who had a similar problem with Mass Effect 2 when he was running it off the external HDD, and the problem fixed itself when he transferred the game to his computer's on-board hard drive. I'm not sure if this would solve your problem considering these are completely different games, but it's worth a try. Also, what brand is your external HDD?

Dirty Hipsters:
I would recommend trying to run your game off your computer's internal HDD rather than the external one and see if that makes a difference. I have a friend who had a similar problem with Mass Effect 2 when he was running it off the external HDD, and the problem fixed itself when he transferred the game to his computer's on-board hard drive. I'm not sure if this would solve your problem considering these are completely different games, but it's worth a try. Also, what brand is your external HDD?

I'll have to try this as well. Still no luck with XCOM as of last night with all the previous suggestions, though.

My external is a 1T Seagate brand. This one, to be specific.

Z of the Na'vi:

Dirty Hipsters:

I'll have to try this as well. Still not luck with XCOM as of last night with all the previous suggestions, though.

My external is a 1T Seagate brand. This one, to be specific.

That's actually the exact same external HDD that my friend has having trouble with for Mass Effect 2.

Hmm, it could very well be the resource streaming UE3 engines utilize (re: the texture popping that occurred on ME1 PC that people complained about). Even on the main menu, I'm pretty sure XCOM renders a 3D background, hence it might hit some snag reading the textures off your external. Have you tried any other UE3 games? Although bear in mind they'd utilize resources differently depending on what version number of the game.

And the usual, make sure the drivers are up to date.

I'd definitely recommend moving it to the local HDD just to test. As well as perhaps disabling any running background programs, maybe see if there's a parameter for the game to disable sound just to test.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked