So do we just forget about Colonial Marines now?

Boy Gearbox must be feeling good, having EA roll in and steal all the negative attention.

Seriously...is this how gaming functions? We just move on and completely forget about the alleged shady practices employed by Gearbox/Timegate/Sega/who knows what the fuck is going on/anyone else?
Do we just forget about one controversy and move on to the next? Does this ideal allow for Gearbox and co to get away with such practices...possibly leading to another company doing the same thing?

I'm still DYING for a proper answer, or even a statement from Pitchford, the conceited little fu-

Well, what are we supposed to do? What exactly constitutes not forgetting about it?

Do we make it a point to mention it at 11 o'clock each day?
"Hey, that Colonial Marines games was pretty shit, huh?"
"Yup."
"Verily."
"Oh, indeed."
"Right, as you were then gentlemen."

Do we erect a monument with Lest we forget that Colonial Marines was kinda shit inscribed on it?

If you're that mad about it then don't buy Gearbox games and hope other do the same. Or at least get them on sale or used. That's the only way you can have any effect on them, however small.

That or an internet petition.

Every...something... of february for the next decade we shall all gather and watch a single copy of colonial marines melt slowly by an open fire.

I read a lot of things, mostly by people who were pretty clearly Sega QA testers and a disgruntled ex-employee who had been gone for over a year. They were stating a lot of things that they could not have in any way known about as hard facts, when in reality they were spreading rumors and speculation (the kind of speculation that goes hand in hand with working on a troubled project after a while) :C I would certainly never claim to know those kinds of things, despite having spent some time on the game as well, and I find it kind of sad that people were so eager to throw each other under the bus for a few minutes of fame.

I've read everything from hollow, angry death threats against my coworkers, to people reveling in the fact that friends of mine at Timegate were let go in their second round of layoffs in less than a year (on Polycount, no less, and of course it MUST have been because of Aliens and not because it's a troubled studio), and personally I'm just sick of it all by now.

Really, Colonial Marines wasn't that bad a game. It wasn't a great game by any means, but the problem was that it became too hyped (just look at some of the pre-release screenshots, they were pretty honest with the lack of graphical fidelity) and could never live up to that hype.

I played it, I had some fun with it. Those who didn't have fun with it didn't and have hopefully moved on by now. And those that didn't even play the game have absolutely no reason or right to complain about it.

For now, yeah. Until some new different news/information comes out about what happened, what exactly can people talk about that hasn't already been said before, more than likely multiple times.

Or maybe when the new Aliens game comes out, you can warn people "Oh look what happened last time, be a bit more wary this time"

But besides that, we can't really add much else at the moment.

Gethsemani:
Really, Colonial Marines wasn't that bad a game. It wasn't a great game by any means, but the problem was that it became too hyped (just look at some of the pre-release screenshots, they were pretty honest with the lack of graphical fidelity) and could never live up to that hype.

This baffled me somewhat, actually. How did the game become so hyped in the first place? I mean, I could tell from the title alone that it'd be at most a mediocre shooter. It can't be because of Gearbox' involvement, they were responsible for DNF, after all. Can't be the brand, either, considering that there've never been any exceptionally good Alien games in the first place, to my limited knowledge at least.

It's infamy will live on. I haven't played it. But terrible games will always be remembered.
I find the whole thing quite humorous, really.

kman123:
Boy Gearbox must be feeling good, having EA roll in and steal all the negative attention.

Seriously...is this how gaming functions? We just move on and completely forget about the alleged shady practices employed by Gearbox/Timegate/Sega/who knows what the fuck is going on/anyone else?
Do we just forget about one controversy and move on to the next? Does this ideal allow for Gearbox and co to get away with such practices...possibly leading to another company doing the same thing?

I'm still DYING for a proper answer, or even a statement from Pitchford, the conceited little fu-

You know what I'm more upset about?

The Ni No Kuni Wizards edition preorder fuckup. Basically, 90% of the preorders went to a scalper who's selling them for 4X what they were worth. People were charged for their copy then a week later they were told they didn't have their copy. And yet people just went "whatever" I think customers having their money stolen is a lot bigger controversey than a game being done very poorley.

I'm not. Mostly because I don't care about EA but rather like Sega, who apparently got screwed with that game.

This makes it even less likely I'll get my Alpha Protocol 2 (Sega and Obsidian is my gaming OTP).

If, on the remote-as-hell chance EA does go bust I sure-as-hell hope that Sega picks up Mirror's Edge with DICE. Sega knows how to actually support good single-player-as-hell games. That'd be awesome for Mirror's Edge 2. Rhianna Pratchett writes the story, DICE makes the game, Sega publishes it. That's one extremely sexy gaming menage-a-trois (Rhianna Pratchett's pretty tasty in her own right).

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked