You can play SimCity offline with mods

So EA and Maxis lied. You don't need to be online for the game to work.

https://pay.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/1a9t0e/simcity_modder_removes_always_online_forced/

and the developer have said to just go for it.

https://twitter.com/oceanquigley/status/299566347438936064

Seriously, what the fuck EA? this is bullshit, saying that the game can't function without online connection and now this?

Your thoughts?

As I've been watching this all unfold over the last week or so there's been one constant thought on my mind. "How the hell did you think that nobody would notice?".

Dryk:
As I've been watching this all unfold over the last week or so there's been one constant thought on my mind. "How the hell did you think that nobody would notice?".

I know right? I mean, what did they expect would happen when modders or people trying to crack the game start doing their thing?

I don't understand why they lied about this shit. This will infuriate a lot of people and they will not forget this any time soon

Looks like I was wrong, then. I'm sorry to everyone I might have insulted in this current debacle.

If you don't mind my quoting myself - The EA executive staff are all known to be pathological liars. This doesn't come as a shock to me at all, I just can't trust these guys anymore. It's going to take a lot of good will on their part to ever get me to buy one of their games again.

I feel sorry for the honest studios on EA's leash that are and will suffer at the hands of these kinds of people. But I just don't want to see this shit continue. Hopefully more people will have learned from this as well and won't simply flock to the next Super Lens Flare Dubstep Zombie War Fighter Field title that they squeeze out in precisely 12 months.

Great so now all we need is some code so we can save and load the game locally and then we can all play simcity like it was meant to be.

Cyfu:

Dryk:

I know right? I mean, what did they expect would happen when modders or people trying to crack the game start doing their thing?

I don't understand why they lied about this shit. This will infuriate a lot of people and they will not forget this any time soon

Nah , the average joe won't care . Yes on this site we are special , we care, we know , but not eveyone does , so this won't affect anything imo.

synobal:
Great so now all we need is some code so we can save and load the game locally and then we can all play simcity like it was meant to be.

Right after they get around to fixing all 5,000+ problems with the shattered-box "simulation" engine.

Roughly 50% of my road traffic goes the wrong direction for no explainable reason, loops around, and retrace their own steps before finally going to work, this prevents any proper traffic flow and breaks my entire city. Services can't go anywhere, 50% of the population never makes it to work at all...

The game is almost unplayable in its current state, more than the servers weren't ready for release, the entire GAME wasn't ready for release.

What a goddamned mess....

I can't figure out which game release and following shitstorm is worse. This or Aliens: Colonial Marines.

I mean, I doubt many people knew ahead of time how much of a terrible trainwreck A:CM turned out to be. Sure, lots of people already knew that SimCity was going to be a disaster ahead of time... even so, who knew it would really be THIS bad? EA/Maxis pretty much got caught lying. It just keeps getting worse!. So in the wake of that petition, now what's the excuse for not removing this piece of shit DRM? It's obviously not impossible to do.

I wonder how many more trainwrecks this year will bring us.

synobal:

Not until the city sizes are fixed, the size they are now they practically can't be auto-sufficient and grow large. And this is a pity, I wasn't pissed with the game itself other than the server issues and I had knew it could be done locally but not with ease, the anon developer from Maxis stated the same anyway. The game is still fun bar some AI stupidity that happens from time to time then only thing I got were firemen all going to the same place though. But I do not enjoy being lied to, unless the game gets 90% more system heavy, and it won't, I'll be pissed.

krazykidd:

Cyfu:

Dryk:

Nah , the average joe won't care . Yes on this site we are special , we care, we know , but not eveyone does , so this won't affect anything imo.

I know the average won't know. but we do. and we will not forget this fucking bullshit.
and BTW the average joe should know. I want EA to taste the consequences for lying to people who bought their god damn game. I mean what in the actual fuck EA? Lying to your customers, your loyal fucking costumers who, even though you changed the game completely and added a lot of bullshit, still payed 60 fucking dollars for your game.

EDIT: got a bit carried away there. They did not change the game completely. they changed a few major things.

This is beautiful. If they only made an offline mode to begin with, all of this controversy would have been avoided.

Zenn3k:

synobal:

Right after they get around to fixing all 5,000+ problems with the shattered-box "simulation" engine.

Roughly 50% of my road traffic goes the wrong direction for no explainable reason, loops around, and retrace their own steps before finally going to work, this prevents any proper traffic flow and breaks my entire city. Services can't go anywhere, 50% of the population never makes it to work at all...

The game is almost unplayable in its current state, more than the servers weren't ready for release, the entire GAME wasn't ready for release.

Hey man just remember, it would be a lot worse if it didn't run on the mighty EA servers. Just look at the previous SimCity games, the AI was so bad, the games really needed the capacity of the servers, our PCs just aren't enough to handle it.

Edit:

Auron:

Not until the city sizes are fixed, the size they are now they practically can't be auto-sufficient and grow large.

Doesn't this mod also fix that? From the link:

After modding, you can play around outside 2km2 plot, and it saves syncs to the server.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked