Vita outsells 3DS in Japan

Now that the Vita has outsold the 3DS do you think it is time for Sony to drop the price (i am thinking NA) but the same is true for Europe. Would you pick one up at fifty bucks cheaper? Owners what is the selling point of the vita?

I would pick one up if something like Final Fantasy Type-0 was announced for it, or maybe a few other good pieces of software were announced. Before that happens there's not a chance.

I think it's awesome and the sooner they get price cut in US and Europe the better. Lesser price->More Vitas->More developer support->More games.

I'm all for more support for my neglected Vita. It feels like their's hardly any true system sellers on it. We really need physical game cards because of the over priced memory and limited memory, which makes the online store largely a show floor for less space eating PSP titles.

It's a brief splurge, caused by a group of people who've been waiting for the console to get a pricedrop. At this point, the 3DS has got much, much more software lined up, and is priced much more competitively.

A price cut would be good, but it's a very short term measure. Sony needs to get off their asses and start supporting the thing with software. If they can't convince third-parties to make games for it, then they need to make like Nintendo and make enough awesome first party games that attract gamers anyway. Then third-parties will start coming back to the system.

Also, they need to swallow their pride, and lower the price on those fucking memory cards. They could price the Vita at a mere $100, those memory cards are still an absolute rip-off, and the single biggest turn-off for me.

Nintendo is doing well because they cut the price of their system, and then they got games out for it. Until Sony sorts out the games part, the Vita is going to struggle.

j-e-f-f-e-r-s:
It's a brief splurge, caused by a group of people who've been waiting for the console to get a pricedrop. At this point, the 3DS has got much, much more software lined up, and is priced much more competitively.

A price cut would be good, but it's a very short term measure. Sony needs to get off their asses and start supporting the thing with software. If they can't convince third-parties to make games for it, then they need to make like Nintendo and make enough awesome first party games that attract gamers anyway. Then third-parties will start coming back to the system.

Also, they need to swallow their pride, and lower the price on those fucking memory cards. They could price the Vita at a mere $100, those memory cards are still an absolute rip-off, and the single biggest turn-off for me.

Nintendo is doing well because they cut the price of their system, and then they got games out for it. Until Sony sorts out the games part, the Vita is going to struggle.

It's very naive to assume the only reason the sale spurge was because of the price drop alone. Considering the Vita just released: Soul Sacrifice, Tales of Heart R, Phantasy Star Online 2, and Senran Kagura: Shinovi Versus all of which (maybe minus ToH R) where highly anticipated.

Persona 4 Golden caused the same thing to happen:
http://www.vg247.com/2012/06/20/vita-sales-surge-in-japan-thanks-to-persona-4-the-golden/

So did the price drop help the most? Without a doubt, but to think that it's the sole reason is to ignore the 4 games that just released and sold pretty well on the system.

Korten12:
It's very naive to assume the only reason the sale spurge was because of the price drop alone. Considering the Vita just released: Soul Sacrifice, Tales of Heart R, Phantasy Star Online 2, and Senran Kagura: Shinovi Versus all of which (maybe minus ToH R) where highly anticipated.

http://www.vg247.com/2012/06/20/vita-sales-surge-in-japan-thanks-to-persona-4-the-golden/

So did the price drop help the most? Without a doubt, but to think that it's the sole reason is to ignore the 4 games that just released and sold pretty well on the system.

OK, so where are they? Only 2 out of those 5 have hit other countries.

j-e-f-f-e-r-s:

Know what'd really help?

Stop supporting the PSP.

Vita is finally getting back on its feet, all they need to do now is do a price cut in NA and EU and those things will fly off the shelves!

More Vita's sold means more games will be made for it, so I am all for this!

RaikuFA:

Korten12:

I was referring to Japan. In Japan all 5 of those have dropped.

j-e-f-f-e-r-s:

So true, the price is utterly ridiculous.

OT: I'd consider getting one if the prices were lowered here and there were more games I wanted. I quite liked my PSP but I found it frustrating that most of the games seemed to be designed to be played at home. I really enjoyed FF7: Crisis Core, for example, but it wasn't something I could play on the bus or on my lunch break. As much as I like, say, Persona 4 or FFX (to a degree...) they aren't the kind of games I want to play on a handheld. You need to take too much time out to play them.

Of course given the sales surge that Persona 4 allegedly caused, mine isn't a majority opinion. I'm just stating what it would take for me to buy one because, obviously, Sony care more about me buying it than everybody else.

Korten12:

RaikuFA:

Korten12:

Still, my Vita is collecting dust and I'd love to play one of those.

RaikuFA:

Korten12:

RaikuFA:

Still, my Vita is collecting dust and I'd love to play one of those.

Soul Sacrifice comes out next month in the EU and US and the rest don't have a US/EU release date because... reasons..

ScrabbitRabbit:

j-e-f-f-e-r-s:

So true, the price is utterly ridiculous.

OT: I'd consider getting one if the prices were lowered here and there were more games I wanted. I quite liked my PSP but I found it frustrating that most of the games seemed to be designed to be played at home. I really enjoyed FF7: Crisis Core, for example, but it wasn't something I could play on the bus or on my lunch break. As much as I like, say, Persona 4 or FFX (to a degree...) they aren't the kind of games I want to play on a handheld. You need to take too much time out to play them.

Of course given the sales surge that Persona 4 allegedly caused, mine isn't a majority opinion. I'm just stating what it would take for me to buy one because, obviously, Sony care more about me buying it than everybody else.

That's actually a big reason why the PSP wasn't as successful as the DS, and why the Vita is tanking compared to the 3Ds in terms of total sales. Sony thinks people want to play console games on their handhelds. Their handheld division is based around the idea of bringing games like God Of War, Killzone and Uncharted to portable consoles.

Unfortunately, the truth of the matter is that people aren't that fussed about playing console games on handhelds. If most gamers want to play a console game, they'll sit down on their comfy sofas and play that game on a nice big HD telly. People want handheld games that are able to be played in short bursts. If they're on the commute to work, say, or waiting for a bus, or they've got fifteen minutes to kill waiting for an appointment.

If you're in that situation, God Of War is not the sort of game you want to play. Killzone is not the sort of game you want to play. If I want to play God Of War, I want to play it on a big screen where I can see every bit of gory detail. I don't want to be squinting at a little OLED screen.

Nintendo, to their credit, understands this. They design their handheld games around the idea of working well in shorter bursts. Look at Pokemon. It's the best selling handheld game ever, and it's the perfect game to play on the go. You can play for a few minutes, get a few battles done, maybe capture a wild Pokemon, then save wherever you are and hop back into it later. Fire Emblem's like a more hardcore version of that idea: you can jump in, get started on a battle, then hop back into it later if you need to put your 3DS away.

I love Sony for the PS1 and the PS2, but they're acting like total idiots. They should have learned with the PSP that people aren't as interested in playing console titles as they are playing games specifically designed to work with handhelds. The fact that they thought they could make the Vita work where the PSP failed, despite the reasons for the PSP's failure being clear as fucking day... it's shocking that any company can ignore the reception of their own hardware like that.

Nobody outside of the tech-nerd demographic wants a portable PS3. The sooner Sony realises this, the sooner they can start making games that actually play to a handheld's strengths.

Not enough people own Vitas, so Developers won't support it.

Developers aren't supporting the Vita, so not enough people will buy it.

Rinse and Repeat...

Now that thats out of the way, I want the Vita to do well. I WANT to WANT one, but as things stand now I do not. Lets hope we see a price drop in EU/NA and it gets the games it deserves.

I don't really think it's necessary to design games to be played in short bursts anymore. The PSP and the DS had an anytime sleep mode. Most of my favorite games on both of those systems are console ports like Chrono Trigger and PS1 Classics.

Crono1973:
I don't really think it's necessary to design games to be played in short bursts anymore. The PSP and the DS had an anytime sleep mode. Most of my favorite games on both of those systems are console ports like Chrono Trigger or PS1 Classics.

It's not about the technicalities of the hardware, it's about the mindset you get into when playing such games.

Something like God Of War or Uncharted is meant as an 'epic' experience. They're the sort of games you're meant to sit down, and invest a couple of hours into. You're not supposed to go through something like the battle against Kronos in small 5 minute bursts, you're meant to go through it as this over-the-top, blockbuster experience.

When you're sat down on the sofa with your surround sound system, your giant telly and a couple of hours to kill, then that's great. But if you've just hopped onto the bus to commute into Uni, you don't want to get caught up in a Kronos-style experience if you're going to have to shut it off halfway through. That's why games like Pokemon, Animal Crossing and such do exponentially better on handhelds. You can literally hop in and out of games for as little as a couple of minutes, without feeling like you're missing out on the gameplay experience. Something like Killzone? Not so much.

j-e-f-f-e-r-s:

Crono1973:
I don't really think it's necessary to design games to be played in short bursts anymore. The PSP and the DS had an anytime sleep mode. Most of my favorite games on both of those systems are console ports like Chrono Trigger or PS1 Classics.

It's not about the technicalities of the hardware, it's about the mindset you get into when playing such games.

Something like God Of War or Uncharted is meant as an 'epic' experience. They're the sort of games you're meant to sit down, and invest a couple of hours into. You're not supposed to go through something like the battle against Kronos in small 5 minute bursts, you're meant to go through it as this over-the-top, blockbuster experience.

When you're sat down on the sofa with your surround sound system, your giant telly and a couple of hours to kill, then that's great. But if you've just hopped onto the bus to commute into Uni, you don't want to get caught up in a Kronos-style experience if you're going to have to shut it off halfway through. That's why games like Pokemon, Animal Crossing and such do exponentially better on handhelds. You can literally hop in and out of games for as little as a couple of minutes, without feeling like you're missing out on the gameplay experience. Something like Killzone? Not so much.

You don't shut it down half way through, you put it to sleep. I don't mind getting caught up in a long battle because I can put it in sleep mode at anytime, the length of a battle is irrelevant. In fact, making the latest Paper Mario game into a handheld experience ruined it.

Some people DO want the console experience on the go and a sleep mode makes any game available to be played in short bursts.

Crono1973:

You don't shut it down half way through, you put it to sleep.

I know that. It's irrelevant to the point I was making.

I don't mind getting caught up in a long battle because I can put it in sleep mode at anytime, the length of a battle is irrelevant. In fact, making the latest Paper Mario game into a handheld experience ruined it.

Some people DO want the console experience on the go and a sleep mode makes any game available to be played in short bursts.

Again, you're missing the point. It's not about whether a handheld has the technical ability to go into sleep mode and pause a game. It's the fact that something like this:

...only works well on a big TV, where you can sit and get sucked into the experience.

Imagine trying to play that battle in small minute-long bursts. You'd lose track of where you were. You'd switch on your Vita, only to find you were halfway through a QTE, and you weren't quick enough firing up the right buttons. You'd be completely disorientated as to where your character is, and you'd have lost whatever adrenaline-fuelled thrill you had when you first started the boss battle.

The psychology of handheld gaming is a very real thing. Maybe you're a gamer who does want console experiences on a handheld. Good for you. The majority of people don't, and sales have consistently reflected that. The PSP offered more console-like games compared to the 3DS, but it had something like 1/3 the sales. The Vita is touted as being able to play PS3 quality games on the go, yet it's utterly tanking compared to the 3DS.

Something like Pokemon is the perfect game to play on the go. You can play it for no more than 2 minutes, or you can play it for hours on end. It doesn't demand your undivided attention in the same way the above-mentioned GoW footage does. You can jump in, do what you want, then jump back out no bother.

You can offer more console-like games if you want, but if you want to have a viable handheld, you need to understand that clear difference. That is what Sony still hasn't learned yet. They still think that if you throw enough money at a portable home console, people will eventually want it. That's simply not true. If Sony wants the Vita to start doing well, they need to start creating games that offer the same jump in/jump out thrills that Nintendo has got down to a tee. Handheld gaming is not an arena where throwing more tech around makes you a winner. Usually quite the opposite.

I'm already tempted by the Vita right now, mostly because I just got into the Persona series with P3 FES and I would love to get my hands on Persona 4 Golden. A price drop is a must before I go out and get one, though. And more Vita-exclusive games that I'm actually interested in would sure help.

j-e-f-f-e-r-s:
That's actually a big reason why the PSP wasn't as successful as the DS, and why the Vita is tanking compared to the 3Ds in terms of total sales. Sony thinks people want to play console games on their handhelds. Their handheld division is based around the idea of bringing games like God Of War, Killzone and Uncharted to portable consoles.

Unfortunately, the truth of the matter is that people aren't that fussed about playing console games on handhelds. If most gamers want to play a console game, they'll sit down on their comfy sofas and play that game on a nice big HD telly. People want handheld games that are able to be played in short bursts. If they're on the commute to work, say, or waiting for a bus, or they've got fifteen minutes to kill waiting for an appointment.

Well I guess I'm in the minority then, since being able to play console games on the go really appeals to me. I learned my lesson after I got a DS several years ago; it's gotten barely any use from me since I got bored of Pokémon HeartGold a few months after said purchase. I'm hoping Sony will keep all these lofty promises about Vita being the "ultimate companion" for the Vita and whatnot, but I'm not holding my breath with their current track record, not to mention that unless more seriously amazing games are announced as exclusives for the PS4, buying one would be nothing but foolish.

Crono1973:

j-e-f-f-e-r-s:

Crono1973:

You don't shut it down half way through, you put it to sleep. I don't mind getting caught up in a long battle because I can put it in sleep mode at anytime, the length of a battle is irrelevant. In fact, making the latest Paper Mario game into a handheld experience ruined it.

Agreed. I want console experiences on the go, to be able to stop and begin at any time. That's why Monster Hunter was so popular, it is a console experience. Sure you go on missions but they can last sometimes up to 40 minutes which is hardly a hand-held experience.

I give up.

Supposedly we all ONLY want epic experiences on a console. Nevermind that I am telling you that there are people who want the console experience on a handheld. Pokemon is no different than any other 2D JRPG except that you can save anywhere. Guess what, you don't need to save anywhere when you can just throw it into sleep mode at anytime. Especially considering the amount of time it takes to save a Pokemon game.

It wouldn't surprise me if the best selling games on the PSP are in fact PS1 games.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked