Do You Care For Plots In Fighting Games?
Yes
61.8% (94)
61.8% (94)
No
38.2% (58)
38.2% (58)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: Stories In Fighting Games

Pages PREV 1 2

Wait fighting games have a plot?

Well yes, otherwise it just feel weird that I am just fighting a person right after the next. This apply to all fighting games in general althought most of them are in some fighting tournament or they all want the item at the end once he/ she defeated 10 or the boss/ champion.

I have to admit... I am a huge fan of the Blazblue story. It's got a lot of issues, but it's loads of fun. MK9 had a fun story as well.

Don't play fighting games really. I'm more of an RPG/RTS kind of gamer

Fappy:
I have to admit... I am a huge fan of the Blazblue story. It's got a lot of issues, but it's loads of fun. MK9 had a fun story as well.

Oh wow Fappy, that avatar is certainly worth a few giggles, nice one :3

I rarely ever play fighting games, but nope. A game needs to have good gameplay and then a story is second (or even optional).

I'm a bit of a fence-sitter with regards to this. I'm not bothered with plot in a fighting game, but I do like them to at least have context. I like knowing why the evil looking dudes look so evil, precisely what divine protection is in place for the girls to feel confident wearing so little, what tragic backstory has got the broody ninja so broody.

A lot of people have already mentioned Soul Calibur, and for me it's pretty much the perfect blend. At least, up until 4. The introduction of Star Wars characters was so cringey precisely because it blew that context out of the water. When your paint-clad ninja is running round Feudal Japan, when suddenly Yoda, and the essentially naked ninja beats the most powerful Jedi in the galaxy with two sharpened steak knives, I really struggle for a sense of reality. Having my ass handed to me mercilessly online for two weeks however many years ago left me not caring to pick up 5, so no comment there. But people have also mentioned 2's Weapon Master, which I thought was friggin' brilliant.

It was a great way to string some challenging, out of the ordinary scenarios together with a sense of progression and compulsion to finish. Plus, the rewards you picked up through it were both worthwhile and well paced. SC4's habit of throwing either static artwork (that I can find on the internet) or clothes (with +0.1 chance to not die if one character does a certain move) at you was a little... lacklustre. Yes, I've already customised Seong Mi-Na to be dressed like a stripper, I don't need another entry in the World's Skimpiest Top contest, thanks.

Uhh, what were we talking about again?

I'm fine either way to be honest, I'd much rather have a well developed tutorial (cause I'm terrible at fighting games) than a story.

Pretty much every game should have a story these days, no matter what Shigeru Miyamoto says to the contrary. Puzzle games can get away with not having one because there don't have to be characters in a puzzle game, but if you have characters, then there needs to be a story.

Regarding fighting games specifically, I've only ever seen two games do it right in the story department. BlazBlue has an intricate story with a concrete answer to most questions regarding where the characters are and what they do over the course of the story, with much less ambiguity than is typically seen in the genre(looking at you, Street Fighter). The two most recent installments of the Mortal Kombat series do the same thing, although 2011's Mortal Kombat was slightly inferior to the subtly brilliant and roll-on-the-floor hilarious Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe of 2008. All Mortal Kombat needs to do in order to take the gold medal of story in the fighting genre is to stop restraining itself and just go full-on camp. That series is at its best when it's taking the piss out of itself.

Oh, and as for what could make BlazBlue better... honestly, just get rid of Hazama and you'll be fine. That's got to be the worst fighting game character in recent memory.

Really, any game with a best-of-three-rounds fighting tournament as the framework is likely to be at least a tiny bit ridiculous in the story area.

"We fight for the fate of the world! There will be no quarter asked, and none given...! Now, once you are fully recovered, we can begin round two!"

Still, I have to admit that I kind of like fighting game stories- and honestly, following a character's story is a significant part of the reason why I play through fighting games with different characters.

I do care! Story modes are always a blast! It's nice to learn about your favourite characters and how they matter in the plot. It's a big plus if we get to try as many characters as possible in the story mode, because picking a character who suits your style in a huge cast of fighters may feel very overwhelming at first.

Plus story lengthens the singleplayer content, I admit I do buy fighting games for the singleplayer only.

In b4 wykytron talks about haza....

The Wykydtron:
I freaking ADORE the BlazBlue story arcs. I once said that all fighting games have shit stories but I guess Arcsys can actually write. The fact that they don't force random fights into every single story mode helps, one character never has to fight the entire cast in a single story arc. If even if everything devolves into a sea of plot words that just confuse me.

Oh and I love the characters. Hazama is my new favourite villian ever, Mu-12 has a fun playstyle (complete with weird and frightening keepaway) and her hatred for everything and everyone is somehow refreshing, Makoto is Makoto and so on. The soundtrack is one of the best in gaming.

Like so:

Spoiler'd the rest because I hate clogging up posts with videos

Dammit!

OT : not needed for me . My main game is Marvel , and there is no story . I play for the fighting and multiplayer .

When it comes to fighting games, I'll care about the plot so long as the game allows me to.

With a game like BlazBlue which has a full story campaign for each playable character giving insight to their motivations, their relationships to eachother and what part they play in the grand scheme of things aswell as having unique character dialogue for when certain characters fight eachother or defeat opponents in the Arcade mode, then I will care about the story.

On the other side of the spectrum we have something like Marvel VS Capcom 3 where outside of a comic book skit which explains how the two universes collided, it doesn't give any insight as to why you've got people like say Captain America, Deadpool and Rocket Raccoon are fighting against Chun-Li, Pheonix Wright and Viewtiful Joe instead of the actual villains.

Callate:
Really, any game with a best-of-three-rounds fighting tournament as the framework is likely to be at least a tiny bit ridiculous in the story area.

"We fight for the fate of the world! There will be no quarter asked, and none given...! Now, once you are fully recovered, we can begin round two!"

Still, I have to admit that I kind of like fighting game stories- and honestly, following a character's story is a significant part of the reason why I play through fighting games with different characters.

To be fair, in Vampire Savior, you retain damage in the next round, so rounds are really more like lives that you have until the match is over.

But like another poster said, context matters. Story, meh. But context is good. Frankly, though, I'd be fine if the story for a fighter was "They all dislike each other," tell me a bit of backstory for each character, then have flavor text for when the characters face off. I get more of a kick out of special intro sequences before a match than the plot of fighters.

The Wykydtron:
I freaking ADORE the BlazBlue story arcs. I once said that all fighting games have shit stories but I guess Arcsys can actually write. The fact that they don't force random fights into every single story mode helps, one character never has to fight the entire cast in a single story arc. If even if everything devolves into a sea of plot words that just confuse me.

Oh and I love the characters. Hazama is my new favourite villian ever, Mu-12 has a fun playstyle (complete with weird and frightening keepaway) and her hatred for everything and everyone is somehow refreshing, Makoto is Makoto and so on. The soundtrack is one of the best in gaming.

Like so:

Spoiler'd the rest because I hate clogging up posts with videos

You and me should create a thread. The only purpose of which would be to praise BlazBlue and guff on and on about how Hazama is the greatest thing on two legs.

Since i mostly play fighting games with some of my online friends and most of my RL firends and family aren't interested too mcuh in them, i tend to prefer to have a decent single player mode as well. This includes a good story. SC 2+3 were pretty good in that regard, so were the old Tekken games and Blazblue.

It helps me train a bit from time to time and not get bored while doing it.

i really like the Tekken story.
Heihachi is so incredibly cool it's unbelievable.
Seriously, the guy caught a throwing axe with his mouth and ate it.

I don't really care, partially because I don't play that many, and partially because they largely don't care themselves enough to provide a decent plot, or even fleshed out characters. I'd say Blazblue is one of the last fighting games that even bother to put some effort in. Admittedly, I'm not into them in the first place, so if there are any with great stories that have come out recently, I may be mistaken. But in my experience, fighting games are generally to cash in on existing characters without having to add much, and/or have plainly contrived plots because everyone has to fight everyone.

Kyber:
i really like the Tekken story.
Heihachi is so incredibly cool it's unbelievable.
Seriously, the guy caught a throwing axe with his mouth and ate it.

and he managed to monologue for seven minutes without saying anything! though that was in an anime spinoff, which is a whole different kind of bad compared to game plots. XD

Regarding the topic at hand, yes, I do care about the plot in a fighting game. I'm never entirely sure why, afterward, but I can't imagine getting involved in a fighter without giving its story mode a run-through.

Blazblue is probably my UR example as well, since it was the first 2D fighter I got into since the peak of Street Fighter 3rd strike. I love the plot. I love the characters. I'm never sure why. the story of BlazBlue holds the distinction for me of being on one hand nigh-incomprehensible and on the other hand completely bogged down with cliches, but I adore it to the point of analyzing it far more than it was probably designed to withstand, and actively fanboying every spoiler we get of developments in future games in the series.

Baron von Blitztank:
When it comes to fighting games, I'll care about the plot so long as the game allows me to.

This about sums up my thoughts on most games in general. It just so happens that with regards to fighting games I come in at between zero and .5 fucks to give about the story because that's clearly about how little the actual developers cared. Even BlazBlue with it's nigh impenetrable miasma of a "story" is something I'll pass on because watching incredibly long scenes of paper cutouts vomiting text at one another doesn't do it for me. Seriously it's like the writers for that series are Hideo Kojimas understudies. Why say in ten words what can be said in a thousand. Why show when you can tell...over and over again. Would I like a fighting game to have a robust, coherent and well developed stories with oh I don't know actual characters? Yes, I would. I was actually just thinking that something like 'Bastion' (well narrated minimalist storytelling) could probably work for a fighting game.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked