Have you ever refused to play because of crappy controls?

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

I personally had never given up on a game before because of lousy controls. I've always found some other reason not to play something like bad game mechanics, general lameness of the story or repetitiveness, but a few days ago I've had my first ragequit over bad controls (not so much rage more than 'wtf is this shit, what monkey programmed this')

This particular game was Fatal Frame III (you take pictures of ghosts with a special cam to exorcise them) for the PS2. After having played II remake and IV (English patch) on the Wii and finding them generally enjoyable, I wonder how people actually enjoy III. The character walks like a wooden puppet, the camera controls are terrible or forced into fixed-camera and the capturing ghosts timing is horribly inaccurate (I'd sometimes hit a ghost for full points after they had vanished and flashing them right in the kisser would miss?!). From the horrible viewpoint control to the non-intuitive layout of all the action buttons I put this game down for good. I'm glad they learned with the remake of II and IV.

Yup. It's why I've stayed the hell away from the Wii.
Not that it's a bad system, I just can't stand motion control.

I bought Twilight Princess on the gamecube so I could use a regular controller.

Nope. I man through it if it's a good game like Dark souls. I own the PC port which was a nightmare at first. Still I've got used to it and it's now one of my favourite games of all time.

Bad controls are why I never play my Wii, and why I refuse to get a Kinect or Wii U.

Not being able to invert the camera almost made me stop playing the Walking Dead too, but I managed to deal with it.

Yes. Silent Hill Homecoming.

I play with inverted Y axis. The game offered the option, and it went smoothly, until I tried to aim once. Turns out, in aiming mode, the inversion isn't active.

I've contacted Konami, and they said, it was intended.

Konami. Never again.

tme:
Yes. Silent Hill Homecoming.

I play with inverted Y axis. The game offered the option, and it went smoothly, until I tried to aim once. Turns out, in aiming mode, the inversion isn't active.

I've contacted Konami, and they said, it was intended.

Konami. Never again.

This is funny , because i play 3rd person games with normal controls and First person games inverted y . I don't know why , i blame Turok on the N64 .

OT: nope , iv'e never had problems with " learning " the controls of a game , no matter how clunky it is . It's why i can still play old games with tank controls , like Resident evil , dino crisis and fear effect.

x-Tomfoolery-x:

Same here. I gave Skyward Sword a chance but let's just say there's a reason it's the only console Zelda game I dislike. Granted it isn't just the buggy controls that need to be re-calibrated after each slash-attack but that is my biggest complaint against Skyward Sword.

Genocidicles:
Bad controls are why I never play my Wii, and why I refuse to get a Kinect or Wii U.

In defense of the Wii U, you may be playing on an Etch-e-Sketch but it has the same 2-stick-4-button-2-trigger-two-shoulder button layout as any other console controller. Just putting that out there and totally agree about refusing to buy a Kinect. Speaking of Kinect...

---

I would play Gun-Stringer and, Nightmare something-or-other if I could do so on a controller. I would have also played a new Steel Battalion if it was released with the giant-fucking controller made out of 2 million buttons. I'm sure it's got a nightmarish learning curve but I can't tell you how much I fucking want Steel Battalion on the Xbox with the giant-fucking controller!

x-Tomfoolery-x:

For Metroid Prime I actually found it quite intuitive and for the other two Fatal Frames it wasn't bad either. It beats fiddling with a second stick to do any other movement besides walking. I'm glad Nintendo realised motion controls aren't for everyone and a lot of their games support using GC controllers (and the Wii comes with many slots to plug them into) like SSBB, Kirby, Mario Kart etc.

I put down Overlord 2 for good after spending a half hour trying to get through the (relatively short) elevator sequence.
I bought Assassin's Creed when it came out for PC. I took one look at the controls in the manual and promptly lost all desire to play. Aborted the installation and never touched it again. Still don't know if I was justified in that decision.

I've been invited to play console splitscreen FPS games(MoH, CoD) by acquintances a couple of times. Usually get disgusted with the controls within half an hour and stop playing.

Well I was about to say almost never, but then I was reminded of all that waggle and touchscreen shit... just nope.
Other then that I can't handle FPS with controllers so on consoles those are a no go for me.

Yes, with Dwarf Fortress. I can tell there's a really cool game under there, especially with what I've read about what people have done in it, but the controls and interface are so non-intuitive that I just can't get into it. And this is coming from someone who enjoys Nethack.

Yep: Dark Void PC. Everything up until the flight controls was really good--and then *bam* flight controls that might have made sense to a stoned bat. Seriously, who designs M+K flight to register displacement from a central position, instead of velocity change of the laser, as turning? And then makes it extremely sensitive to the DPI of the mouse? Ugh.

Can't think of a game that I gave up on due to bad controls, but if the camera in the game is fighting against me then I might eventually give up on it from annoyance alone of it always staring at a wall. <.<

I like how many people instantly start moaning about the Wii. I found the Metroid Prime trilogy to control far better with the Wiimote than any regular console FPS I've played.

Anyways... I'm a big fan of action hack-and-slash games, and those tend to require very slick controls in order to work. Ninja Gaiden Black was as phenomenal as it was simply because Team Ninja mapped out the controller perfectly, and had next to no input lag. If a hack-and-slash doesn't have buttery smooth controls, then it's going to have to work damn hard to impress me otherwise.

I actually stopped playing Halo 4 because of the controls. There was terrible input lag whenever I played, despite other games like COD responding fine. Honestly, I'd twitch the analogue stick, and the reticule wouldn't move until around a quarter of a second later, sometimes even half a second. It doesn't sound like a lot, but it completely threw off my aim, and ruined the feel of the game for me.

Legend of Zelda: The Phantom Hourglass (DS)
I think to attack you had to drag the stylus on the touchscreen, alongside with using the touchscreen for pretty much everything else in that game. I absolutely hated not having "use/attack" mapped to a button, so much that I said "nope" after about twenty minutes of playing and immediately went to A Link to the Past instead. Haven't played since. Might play it again one day, though. Just to beat the sucker.

A lot of Wii games
I'm not sure if it was the motion controls or the fact that I couldn't use the Gamecube controller. Looking back, it's probably both because using batteries was annoying and I can't recall Nintendo ever making a rechargeable battery pack for the Wii (that wasn't third party garbage).

Condemned
I heard a lot of praise for this game.
Eventually, years later, I get it for almost literally nothing. Right off the bat I notice the controls...or rather, what the game felt like, was horrible. In fact, I'm almost at a loss of adjectives to describe it. It was like if somebody cut off your hands and you were using prosthetics for the first time. An action that was simple and mundane before has now become something that was slower, less accurate and artificial feeling. I think I played it for an hour. It's another game that I would want to play again one day.

Dark souls on pc.

On a side note, i dont play on consoles because i suck three ways into sunday with a controller.

lRookiel:
Nope. I man through it if it's a good game like Dark souls. I own the PC port which was a nightmare at first. Still I've got used to it and it's now one of my favourite games of all time.

The default K&M controls are atrocious, awful things, glad I had invested in a wired 360 controller for indie games.

OT: Umm, honestly not really, I find old horror tank controls tough to get into if forced to use an anologue stick though, those controls fare better on a dpad where you can't fuck up by going slightly diagonal.

When I got bad company 2 gifted to me on PC (500ish hours of time racked up on PS3) I swore to never fly a helicopter on the PC version again because of the control being awkward to me, they were simple and intuitive on the console version.

Oh! The goldeneye remake on Wii. Awful terrible controls that somehow were not fixed for the PS360 version.

NightmareExpress:

A lot of Wii games
I'm not sure if it was the motion controls or the fact that I couldn't use the Gamecube controller. Looking back, it's probably both because using batteries was annoying and I can't recall Nintendo ever making a rechargeable battery pack for the Wii (that wasn't third party garbage).

The battery thing isn't bad controls but man I hear you, I swear almost every Wii game I own isn't full completed just because I don't have a giant stock of AA batteries in this day and age.

Any PFS that requires analogue stick aiming. I want either motion controls (Metroid Prime trilogy, Red Steel 2) or a mouse and keyboard. Outside of that I'm not generally too picky.

Stopped playing Shadow of the Colossus by the third boss. Maybe it was because I was playing the HD remake but that game had terrible input lag, unresponsive controls and a broken camera. Dark Souls on keyboard and mouse wasn't as bad. That's not an exaggeration, I've beaten it using K&M.

I actually can't play the PC versions of the Mass Effect games because I can't stand the controls. The games feel so much more comfortable on a controller.

I started playing soul reaver on the PC, i like it a lot but the control are difficult to handle, its manly the camera controls.

Resident Evil 5 and 6.

I couldn't actually complete Jake's section of the demo because I found the controls so unplayable.

Most Wii games.

Dark Souls, the interest is there, but, I really can't be bothered with the effort.

Skyward Sword is the only console Zelda game I didn't finish and I've played the all, except for Link's Awakening.

The controls were just so frustratingly annoying.

The original System Shock's controls were pretty abysmal, and I rebound them to the best of my abilities.
Still couldn't get more than an hour into the game before getting frustrated.
Oh, and don't get me started on the cyber space sections, they're what made me rage quit.

More recently, Spelunky on PC's controls contributed to me dropping it, too.
They're not the worst controls ever, but they're certainly not the best either.

captcha: half done. Not even, captcha, that's how bad it was.

I kind of having a problem with Mass Effect at the moment due to that driving aspect of the game. Yes I know that make up the small part of the game but the awful driving control is really putting me off!

Controls are the main reason I couldn't get into Monster Hunter on my psp. Most of the controls were not bad, but dear lord that camera control.

And that was even after trying the claw method. After about 15 minutes I would get finger cramps. It is a shame to because it seems like the kind of game I would be all over.

Hmm of games I've actually tried earnestly to play? Mass Effect. Just the first one because the controls and the combat were so bad especially if you were more of a caster was just clunky, and terrible. Couldn't really get into the series because of just how BAD the controls and interface and combat was for an intro.

The worst part was that I knew it was going to be a terrible experience because I always read the instruction booklet when available first and while I'm sure it would work for the PC having read the controls for the 360 just made me scratch my head how that went gold.

EDIT: Wait I just thought of a second one. Metroid Prime. Sorry just couldn't get used to controlling an FPS with a Gamecube controller. It just didn't work no matter how much I tried to fiddle with it. But then again I don't think that it fits for "crappy controls".

Absolutely. I simply don't play most console shooters due to lack of mouse&keyboard support. I've also hated the Resident Evil series from day one for the reason of controls. Ooh, also Metal Gear Solid 2. Never made it off the ship at the start. Fuck those controls.

games for the Wii that force you to waggle play. im a huge Zelda fan and have been for years but i just cant play Skyward Sword with the waggling and swinging your arm like a retard. its so ...ughk! it makes me sad and angry and left out from an amazing game. why couldnt it be like Smash Bros Brawl? you can use your kitchen sink to play THAT game! you could use the stupid wii mote, the classic controller, the on the side wii mote, and best of all YOU COULD USE THE GAME CUBE CONTROLLER! * rages at Skyward sword *

x-Tomfoolery-x:

You know what's funny though is that controller is pretty amazing for Resident Evil 4. For that one specific game it works really well (I never miss my headshots). Otherwise, yes I tend to agree. It took me a long time to adjust to that new controller. It felt weird.. like way back when the Nintendo was new and I didn't know how to use the first digital pad type.

I don't recall playing a game with controls so bad that they pushed me to give up the game, so lucky me.

While I didn't give up, I did, however, get extremely pissed at Sly Cooper 2, during the tank-driving sequence. I REALLY hate poorly implemented tank controls that try to be "realistic", and out of the games I've played, Sly 2 is the king of that particularly smelly hill It's a shame, since I love the game, aside from that sequence.

Mirror's Edge, Fable (360 port), and AC III have all suffered because of either crappy controls or mechanics that weren't intuitive enough. There's nothing wrong with giving up if the controls are just completely broken, it's the sensible thing to do for the sake of your sanity.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked