Have you ever refused to play because of crappy controls?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Steel Battalion: Heavy Armor, all the way. Having played and thoroughly enjoyed the original Steel Battalion and its absurdly sized yet incredibly engaging controller, being unable to actually accurately control my VT or myself in Heavy Armor is beyond frustrating and I will admit I disgust-quit the game as a result. It's especially distressing since they might have well killed Steel Battalion as a franchise as a result.

krazykidd:

tme:
Yes. Silent Hill Homecoming.

I play with inverted Y axis. The game offered the option, and it went smoothly, until I tried to aim once. Turns out, in aiming mode, the inversion isn't active.

I've contacted Konami, and they said, it was intended.

Konami. Never again.

This is funny , because i play 3rd person games with normal controls and First person games inverted y . I don't know why , i blame Turok on the N64 .

OT: nope , iv'e never had problems with " learning " the controls of a game , no matter how clunky it is . It's why i can still play old games with tank controls , like Resident evil , dino crisis and fear effect.

Dino Crisis ftw. Also, I still play tank control games, and it's a totally valid control scheme (rationalization? What's that?). SH2 has tank controls. Therefore your argument is invalid.

Aside from really dumb control systems (like the Wii and Kinect ect.), most of the games I've played that have fucking awful controls are on the PC. So it's not a big issue as I can remap them.

Not so much refused but I was unable to play the earlier pre resi 4 games because of the controls I just could not use them effectively.

The other one is Fur Fighters now I will forgive it because I dont think the controls were standard when this was released but usually its left analogue to move and right to turn but here its the opposite and cant be changed which I just could not get my head around after playing for so many years the other way. There is another gimped control method which uses one analogue stick like back in the N64 days but its so inferior I just had to give up in the end.

Phantom hourglass, and some metroid game for the DS, too much touchscreen for me.
and while i didn't quite i am going through MGRR at a snails pace because you kinda need to aim precisely in order to grab the candy bar embedded into every single enemy and can't aim for shit with a controller.

I really hated the GTA 3 and Vice City controls on console but I found them great for PC with the exception of the flight controls which are the opposite. For San Andreas on PC, I absolutely hated the controls. You can rebind them but I never found a setup that I was completely comfortable with and this was particularly true for the flying missions where I could have made use of an extra arm; I hate that blasted helicopter!

Most games on the N64 I hated the controls for. I'd rather not play games at all then have to use that clunky thing.

Oh god yes I have. I'm picky about controls. And if they're not properly responsive and logical, it gets old very fast. It's the main reason I stay away from motion controls. Though I will deal with bad controls if the storytelling or gameplay is extremely good.

I don't 'refuse' to play games because of poor controls. I 'refuse' to play games because of things like DRM and Online Passes. I'm not against poor controls, I'm not making a stand, and I'm not going to forgo anything that isn't worth forgoing. Controls are something I can live with if I like the game. But the worst I've had to do so far is claw for Monster Hunter/Armored Core on the PSP.

Oh wait, no actually there was a Tom Clancy somethingorother game for the PSP I got at some point, and it's controls were so ridiculous I didn't bother continuing. But that's the only one with actually obtrusive controls that I couldn't remap.

Castlevania on the 360. Whoever decided to make block and roll away the SAME BUTTON ruined the game entirely just by that. So to block you got to be sure you stop moving completely or boom you roll away and get hit by a massive attack simply due to poor controls.

... I hate that game JUST because of that. 20 year Franchise ruined, no way will I ever buy a castlevania product ever again because I will be forever reminded of this and think of it as a big joke.

Nope. Never. I'm flexible and open minded like that, I adjust to any control scheme pretty quickly (or change it whenever possible), doesn't matter how crappy or convoluted it is.

I've played many Wii games and I just don't seem to be bothered by it, I've finished Okami, Metroid Prime Trilogy, Resident Evil 4 and Super Mario Galaxy 1/2 without much trouble (I haven't gotten to finish Skyward Sword due to lack of interest and NOT for the control scheme).

What sometimes turn me off is an unintuitive or archaic UI or gameplay mechanics, like many older PC RPGs, that's exactly why Baldur's Gate is nearly unplayable for me

EDIT: Although... well, Hammerfight for the PC absolutely has one of the worst control schemes ever devised for any platform, seriously, you need to move the frickin' mouse in circles with precise timing to control a clunky ship thingy, without taking into consideration the absolutely brutal and unforgiving AI. Fuck that game.

I couldn't get into Shadow of the Colossus because the controls were to wonky for me to get into, which was a bummer because I really wanted to like that game =(

Uncharted Golden Abyss. Also I won't play Wii games that require the Wiimote. I can't stand how imprecise they are. And I grease up my Vita's screen when I touch it and GA has some really stupid mini games. Like the balancing one, I usually am laying down, so it pisses me off when I have to use the gyroscope.

I don't "refuse" so much as "give up on".
Seriously, if Monster Hunter on the PSP had another control stick and two extra triggers I would be all over that shit.

Hoo boy...
Let me introduce you to a game called Eternity's Child. Slow, fiddly controls; overly-precise platforming; and mouse aiming with insane required precision. Game wore out its welcome after five minutes. Literally - I uninstalled it, put it in a Steam category box marked "Not very good", and haven't touched it since.

hazabaza1:
Seriously, if Monster Hunter on the PSP had another control stick and two extra triggers I would be all over that shit.

Ooh, ooh, try it on Vita! You can map the directional buttons to the second control stick, and voila! (Although, still just two triggers)

omicron1:

hazabaza1:

Ooh, ooh, try it on Vita! You can map the directional buttons to the second control stick, and voila! (Although, still just two triggers)

I ain't getting a Vita just for Monster Hunter. If I do pick one up I certainly will, but... that'l be a while.

I was hearing good things and bad things about Crisis Core on the PSP so I decided I wanted to try it out. After about a second with the store demo, I'd had enough.

That game is just so bad with it's movement and controls, I couldn't even walk a few feet from where the last player had given up. People really like the story but I don't think it's even worth it to try and play that mess.

GTA IV.
I just don't like driving in that game, I don't care if it is "realistic", it just felt like a pain. I would continue on about the Motorcycle and the Helicopters, however I feel I would end up enfringing on Yahtzee if I spoke about them.

I remember years ago I quit Rome: Total War because I hated the battle-cam controls. It was only recently after getting back into pc gaming that I realised you could change key binds in pretty much any pc game. That has made things a LOT easier.

Lair with those forced six axis controls. I somehow managed to get into them but i wasn`t able to play any other game. Everytime i took a break and played something different it took time and practice to get into Lairs controls again. It was a bit to anoying and since i couldn`t beat a certain boss later in the game i just stopped. I`m glad that this trend died fast. Six axis might be ok for a title like Flower but it really killed a otherwise promising game called Lair (medieval fantasy setting, dragon riding, huge air battles, nice graphics, it had everything besides good controls, damn shame)

Yep, there were several Wii games I could not play despite wanting too,same with the DS. Oh and GTA4,never could get into it for some reason, the controls just felt sloppy.

I haven't touched Halo because I can't stand console-based FPS even though I think I would enjoy it as a 'popcorn' shooter.

Same for all the Resident Evil games where they introduced 3rd person cameras rather than fixed position. The fact that enemies will charge at you then SLOW DOWN when they get close to compensate for poor controls is something I will never stand.

"Crappy" is subjective, of course. I never got into Halo due to the sluggish and awful controls. People may disagree, but coming from the background of a keyboard+mouse, the console shooter controls were unbearable and I clearly was not having fun. Considering nobody really heralds the story as being worthwhile, I wasn't missing much.

It somewhat does make sense that people new to gaming in general would try out a console shooter for the first time and learn on that. It's not not for me.

I play games for fun. Bad controls are not fun. On the rare day I DO play a game with bad controls, it has to have something really good going for it elsewhere.

j-e-f-f-e-r-s:
I like how many people instantly start moaning about the Wii. I found the Metroid Prime trilogy to control far better with the Wiimote than any regular console FPS I've played.

And here we go, pointing out exceptions to try and disprove the rule.

Scarim Coral:
I kind of having a problem with Mass Effect at the moment due to that driving aspect of the game. Yes I know that make up the small part of the game but the awful driving control is really putting me off!

What. What are you talking about? I always hear that the Mako had bad controls but I bossed that thing. If I wasn't ramming armatures and colossi to death I was taking it on stunt drives around the mountains. The controls were easy, and the amusingly low gravity made me a weaponised brick.

Throwing in another Skyward Sword here...along with most other Wii games. Sorry, motion controls are not for me. Thank God Twilight Princess was released on the Gamecube...would've missed out on my favorite Zelda game and one of my favorite games period!

I couldn't play that Metroid Prime game on the Wii with that controller. I really hoped they had alternate Gamecube controls, but nope. Any Wii game that has you aiming the controller or doing a lot of motion is off limits for me because I have an unstable right wrist with torn ligaments and it gets very uncomfortable very quick.

The Walking Dead on the 360 has no option to invert the Y-axis, which made it pretty much unplayable. Someone from work gave me a Steam key, so I was able to play it on the computer, but ugh.

Geometry Wars. I can move, and I can shoot, but when I try to move and shoot, I just move towards the enemies instead of away from them. I volunteered to participate in some academic study once that involved me having to play the game for a half hour, and I wanted to kill myself and it was pretty embarrassing that I couldn't break like 10,000 points per game over when everyone else was in the 100,000s.

Also, I could never play Super Mario 64 for the life of me. I played Super Mario Sunshine first, and had no trouble with any of the controls, even got all but one shine sprite (missing one blue coin somewhere), but I think I never got more than 20 stars on Mario 64.

I'm not sure if this fits the topic, but a while ago I tried Bioshock (PC), because it's supposed to be great game and I've never played it. The problem was the movement. It felt so stiff and so bad that I quit after the first 15 minutes. Weird...

I did not finish a tomb raider game because of the controls once, also I can't do FPS games on a console, I need a keyboard and mouse.

I almost gave up on Assassin's creed 2 because of its awful PC controls. It also lagged terribly for me, although that was less because of the game and more because of my crap computer.

I actually did give up on dead space 1.

Kirby: Mass Attack.
Things were going fine, up until the halfway point of the game, when they started demanding precision from the inherently imprecise controls.

Genocidicles:
Bad controls are why I never play my Wii, and why I refuse to get a Kinect or Wii U.

Not being able to invert the camera almost made me stop playing the Walking Dead too, but I managed to deal with it.

wait maybe i don't remember..but what do you mean by "invert the camera" in the walking dead? i don't remember having much control over the camera..if at all?

OT: Eh all these people reminded me of the wii, so yeahh i'll say because of crappy controls i refuse to play some games.

HOWEVER

there are quite a few games that people say have "bad controls" but i play just fine or actually end up liking (such as the first mass effect)

so generally i chug through games with "crappy controls" regardless.

i'm sure there are more i'm not thinking of at the moment, especially if the game were to force me into inverted (i generally get used to it, but i am heavily annoyed by it, my brain constantly is telling me "what.the.fuck.are.you.doing.")

Edl01:
GTA IV.
I just don't like driving in that game, I don't care if it is "realistic", it just felt like a pain. I would continue on about the Motorcycle and the Helicopters, however I feel I would end up enfringing on Yahtzee if I spoke about them.

Very much an eye of the beholder thing there, I thought the vehicle handling was the best thing about GTA IV. My favorite moments were car chases and drifting around corners, I'm a driving game fan though.

I hated the controls for Bully and could play it until was I remapped them, then it was fine. Saint 's Row 2 had terrible controls on the PC, but then again that particular port has no redeeming features.

Every Resident Evil game ever, I tried them when the first one came out back in ancient times & I still can't stand them because of the craptastic controls. Never tried 6 because I can't look at the box art without laughing thanks to Yahtzee.

Zachary Amaranth:
I play games for fun. Bad controls are not fun. On the rare day I DO play a game with bad controls, it has to have something really good going for it elsewhere.

j-e-f-f-e-r-s:
I like how many people instantly start moaning about the Wii. I found the Metroid Prime trilogy to control far better with the Wiimote than any regular console FPS I've played.

And here we go, pointing out exceptions to try and disprove the rule.

How is that an exception? I've always felt that FPS games on consoles have been crippled by the need to use thumbsticks. The Prime trilogy were hardly the only good FPS games to grace the Wii. Red Steel 2, even the COD games they ported, I'd argue any of them control better than your average console shooter, by virtue of actually being able to aim in 1:1, rather than trying to convert little circular thumb movements into larger aiming movements.

I found other games on the Wii controlled perfectly fine as well: Skyward Sword, Mario Galaxy, Sin And Punishment 2, Xenoblade... never had a problem with any of them.

If you want to argue that there were more games that controlled badly than controlled well on the Wii, guess what? Sturgeon's Law applies to all consoles. Any console you pick up, 90% of the games will be crap, either due to poor controls, or other reasons.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked