Why is the Wii U not selling as well as expected?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Mr.Mattress:

GloatingSwine:

When the Wii came out it didn't matter that the hardware was gash compared to the competition, because it was doing something they weren't. The Wii U isn't doing anything particularly unique, and even when it starts to build a good exclusive library that will only attract a certain market segment (vastly more people care about the big multiplatform releases than exclusives, which is why Nintendo was so vocal about this console being not shit at running the same games the others are running), the umpty billion CoD, FIFA, Madden, whatevers players will see virtually indistinguishable performance to the box they already have and not be tempted.

While I agree there will probably be some minor graphical differences between the WiiU and the PS4/Nextbox, It won't be as bad as the Wii to PS3/360, I can guarentee that. I'm pretty positive we're reaching the point where Graphics can get much better, and companies will have to start focusing on other fronts (AI, Environments, Etc.) instead.

But your statement that Multiplatforms are more important then Exclusives, I'm gonna have to strongly disagree. Here is a list of Wii Best Selling Video Games: As you can see, all of the games that have reached over 5 Million Copies are Exclusives. Meanwhile, over at the Xbox 360, the top selling game for the Xbox is an Exclusive Title: Kinectimals. Of the 7 Games that have reached over 5 Million copies on the Xbox, only 3 are Multiplatformers (2 Call of Duties and MineCraft). All 3 of the PS3's games that have sold over 5 Million are Sony Exclusives. Also, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 only sold around 10 Million Units. Both Kinectimals and Wii Sports sold way more then that (24 Million and 81 Million respectively), while Gran Turismo 5 is also around the 10 Million Unit mark. Based on this information, I can only gather that, sure Multiplatformers might sell, but Exclusives almost always sell better then Multiplatformers.

Not only that, but Nintendo simply had the best selling games this gen, exclusive or not. We talk about the blockbuster success of things like COD, but NSMBWii, Mario Kart and others handily outsold them all.

It lacks the games at the moment, and it probably will remain that way due to many of the big publishers (such as EA nd UbiSoft) stating that they no longer be making games for the Wii U platform because it's not really "next gen" (which honestly, it isn't).

I don't think the Wii U is a bad system, but I don't see it lasting long in the market honestly. The Wii was successful because of a gimmick, that gimmick crowd is gone now, it was a passing fad that no longer exists. Now look at the PS4, that is what next gen is going to be all about, now look at the Wii U.

I know I'm not the only one seeing the problem here.

Dunno, only thing i can say why I'M not buying WiiU.

Games. What Nintendo had released on wiiu to this point and promised in future just not interesting to me. 3 party games are just ports of current gen games. With next gen PlayStation and Xbox coming soon there is no way i'm spending money on this console.

j-e-f-f-e-r-s:

I know opinions and stuff, but really? You think the Galaxy games were just a rehash of Mario 64? Or 3D Land? Or that the Metroid Prime trilogy was a rehash of Super Metroid? Or that Skyward Sword was a rehash of Ocarina? Kirby's Epic Yarn? Animal Crossing?

Hi, j-e-f-f-e-r-s.
First of all, I don't recall even mentioning most of the games you mentioned. When I said "rehashes of the same stories" I meant just the story in and of itself. For example I would like to see Super Mario WORLD, not just some enclosed areas for me to collect stars/shines/brights which in turn will allow me to save the princess. I'm not expecting a whole sweeping epic, I'd just like to see Nintendo to give us something more than the same exercise as we have had since 1996.

Since you brought it up, The Metroid Prime Trilogy IMO is an example of a game series expanding right. Obvious play mechanics change notwithstanding, they use an existing universe and actually expand upon it, giving us the continuing adventures of Samus Aran. The joy in those games is to continue exploring as Samus and learn of all of these ancient alien races and cultures.

I never understand this double-logic. Nintendo makes games that constantly reinvent themselves in the best way possible (Prime, Galaxy, Skyward Sword, etc), and people complain that they focus too much on rehashing older games. They stop focusing on some of their older franchises to focus on new things like Wii Fit or Wii Play (which, despite what 'core' gamers may grumble about, were huge successes for Nintendo), and people then complain that Nintendo doesn't do enough with their old-school series.

Either you want Nintendo to keep making Star Fox, F-Zero, Zelda and Mario games, or you don't. Why people feel the need to complain about something like Mario Galaxy 2 simply because it's part of a thirty year old franchise, despite the fact it's also the highest reviewed game of all time... there's just no pleasing people.

Again, I have no problem with the franchises in and of themselves, but what I would like them to do is expand upon them, much like they did with the Zelda and Metroid mythos. Again, I don't expect a massive character overhaul or some melodramatic storyline, but what I'm saying is that I feel Nintendo is more than happy with just applying another coat of paint to the same model, changing a few things around and saying it's something brand new when it's only a revision.

Also, good for Wii Fit and Wii Play being huge successes, but that doesn't really add anything to your point. Personally, I would love it if Nintendo invested the time and effort to create new IPs and become a huge success over a longer period of time.

What boggles me even more is that something like The Last Of Us to me just looks like Uncharted with zombies, but apparently I'm wrong and it's "omg originality!"

And... I didn't even mention "The Last of Us," so I don't even know why you brought this up at all. But for the record, no, I'm not really all that impressed by this game, nor did I ever care much about Uncharted either. So... yeah.

I didnt but it for the same reason i didn't buy the Wii, its less a console and more a gimmick. I like to play games laying on the sofa which a beer and a snack. Anything where the controls get in the way of that feels like peddling backwards to me.

Was anyone not expecting Wii U sales to suck? You know, besides the game companies with their heads up their asses. I mean... just look at it. There are plenty of other reasons why sales suck but really, just look at it.

It's not really that complicated.

At least that's why I haven't bought one yet. Without having a bunch of games I want what's my incentive to hand over my money for one? I'm an ardent Nintendo fan btw, so I'm definitely not biased against the console.

TheLycanKing144:
It lacks the games at the moment, and it probably will remain that way due to many of the big publishers (such as EA nd UbiSoft) stating that they no longer be making games for the Wii U platform because it's not really "next gen" (which honestly, it isn't).

Did they really say that?

Crono1973:

TheLycanKing144:

Yes. Here:

www.forbes.com/.../ea-ceo-doesnt-think-wii-u-is-a-next-ge...

www.nintendolife.com/.../ubisoft_ceo_not_satisfied_with_wii_u

However UbiSoft is apparently still making a Wii-Exclusive, so they may not be fully out of the system yet. But they don't show much interest in porting their newer games over to it (such as the new AC game).

EA on the other hand is not going to be supporting the Wii-U at all anymore, hence why the Wii U version of Need for Speed won't be getting any DLC. They stated they are going to focus on next gen systems (PS4 and 720) instead.

Because *Grabs Megaphone* A CONSOLE IS ONLY AS GOOD AS IT'S GAME LIBRARY!

Let's take a look at some of the WiiU's big releases shall we...
New Super Mario Bros. U - Good game, but not necessarily any better then the other 3 New Super Mario Bros. games, and certainly not a system seller.
ZombiU - A decent survival horror game, but again, not good enough to move units.
Nintendo Land - A really great party game, but that's still what it is, a party game. People don't buy consoles for party games (granted Wii Sports proved you can sell a console with a tech demo however, so I guess this one could be debated).
PORTS - Ports ports ports! Assassin's Creed III, Mass Effect 3, Arkham City, the list goes on! These are all great games, don't get me wrong, but you buy a console for it's exclusives not it's ports.
And that's about it really.

Granted, some big exclusives are coming for it; Bayonetta 2, Monster Hunter 4, Pikmin 3 (which I am SUPER excited for, being a massive fan of the other Pikmins) and of coarse all your first party Nintendo stuff is coming as well, your Mario, your Zelda, your Metroid, etc. But the promise of potential greatness in the future doesn't do any good if you aren't picking up any major third party support in the meantime.

Nintendo need to BRING IT for E3, because they need to get this console some games if it's ever going to sell.

TheLycanKing144:

Crono1973:

TheLycanKing144:

Yes. Here:

However UbiSoft is apparently still making a Wii-Exclusive, so they may not be fully out of the system yet. But they don't show much interest in porting their newer games over to it (such as the new AC game).

EA on the other hand is not going to be supporting the Wii-U at all anymore, hence why the Wii U version of Need for Speed won't be getting any DLC. They stated they are going to focus on next gen systems (PS4 and 720) instead.

That is pretty damning, I wonder what jeffers has to say about this. This is also interesting:

What he's essentially saying here is that he's seen what the Wii U is capable, of, and he's seen what the upcoming versions of the Playstation and Xbox are capable of, and the gulf is sizable enough that we'll be classifying the Wii U as "last gen" once the other two are released.

I don't see where Ubisoft said they wouldn't make any more WiiU game though.

Crono1973:

TheLycanKing144:

Crono1973:

Yes. Here:

That is pretty damning, I wonder what jeffers has to say about this. This is also interesting:

What he's essentially saying here is that he's seen what the Wii U is capable, of, and he's seen what the upcoming versions of the Playstation and Xbox are capable of, and the gulf is sizable enough that we'll be classifying the Wii U as "last gen" once the other two are released.

Honestly, I love Nintendo and all but they really need to do something about this. I don't think the Wii-U is going to last in the market, even with Nintendo's great 1st party games, consumers don't care about gimmicks anymore. That money ship has sailed, now they need to spruce their game up.

I think they may end up coming out with another console later that will compete with the other real next gen systems.

As for Ubisoft, maybe the link I posted wasn't correct. But I remember reading an interview with them where they stated that the future of AC is looking "bleak" on the Wii U due to it's lack of power. I'll try to find it again.

j-e-f-f-e-r-s:

rob_simple:

Cool story bro, I'm just saying what I'd like to happen, not that I think it ever would. I have no interest in Nintendo's new consoles because they always seem to be pushing new gimmicks or other stuff I'm not interested in but I still like their games, so they'd personally get a lot more of my custom if they were selling titles on consoles I actually want to play.

What's gimmicky about the Wii U? The fact it's got a touchscreen? Well gee, that sure is some new out-there technology. It's not like the DS and pretty much every phone out there have spent the last decade making touchscreens standard or anything... And it's certainly not as if the Wii U controller also has a full set of perfectly normal buttons as well.

Also worth pointing out that the N64 and Gamecube didn't exactly set the world on fire, either; in fact I'm sure I read somewhere that the head boy at Nintendo said if the Wii had failed it would have finished them. Or maybe it was the DS, I forget.

Nope. Nintendo made a profit off both. Even the Gamecube. Also, while the Gamecube didn't sell as well as the other consoles, the Gameboy Advance sold a shitload of units and kept Nintendo swimming in the money. Likewise, Nintendo had the Gameboy and Gameboy Colour at the same time as the N64, and those things were a license to print money.

It probably was the DS, actually, since if it wasn't for their dominance in the handheld market, Nintendo would probably have ceased to exist a long time ago.

Nintendo's handhelds have often eclipsed their console brethren, but as far as I can tell, they've always made a profit from their consoles.

I never said that other consoles didn't use gimmicks like touchscreens, but as the Wii proved, generally developers only implement it in tokenistic ways. I lost count of the times I was forced to do an awkward Wiimote waggle for an action that would have been more simply accomplished by just pressing a button; playing the majority of third party titles you could always tell when they'd only incorporated the ineffective motion controls because they were the Wii's USP.

I never said that they didn't make a profit, I just said that, compared to both the Playstation 1 selling three times the number of units the N64 did and the PS2 selling a massive eight times more than the Gamecube, it doesn't suggest they weren't particularly well received.

And while you seem to be basing a consoles success on profits, I look at it from a more basic point of view: how many games were worth playing? The N64 had some of my favourite games of all time, but they only released about two good games a year. While I was waiting for Ocarina of Time to come out, all my friends with Playstations had a shitload of cool games coming out on a monthly basis. It was the exact same with the Gamecube and the PS2; my GC library is probably limited to a single shelf whereas I have about 60 PS2 games and most of them are winners.

All I'm saying is if I'd ever been given the choice between having a Nintendo console or another console I could play Nintendo's games on, I would pick the latter every single time.

j-e-f-f-e-r-s:

Not only that, but Nintendo simply had the best selling games this gen, exclusive or not. We talk about the blockbuster success of things like COD, but NSMBWii, Mario Kart and others handily outsold them all.

I don't understand your obsession with sales figures. Sales =/= good games. As my father is fond of reminding me, The Sun is the best-selling newspaper in Britain, but do you think that makes it the best newspaper?

TheLycanKing144:

Crono1973:

TheLycanKing144:

Yes. Here:

Honestly, I love Nintendo and all but they really need to do something about this. I don't think the Wii-U is going to last in the market, even with Nintendo's great 1st party games, consumers don't care about gimmicks anymore. That money ship has sailed, now they need to spruce their game up.

I think they may end up coming out with another console later that will compete with the other real next gen systems.

As for Ubisoft, maybe the link I posted wasn't correct. But I remember reading an interview with them where they stated that the future of AC is looking "bleak" on the Wii U due to it's lack of power. I'll try to find it again.

Nintendo needs new leadership. As likeable as Iwata is, he just isn't leading the company to success. He did well with the DS and the Wii but he should have known that it was time to stop with criminally underpowered hardware and gimmicks. Minus the $150 Upad, they could have made a beefier system for $300-$350. He also should have learned from the 3DS that a product name that is too similar to it's predecessor confuses consumers.

Also, let's get someone in NOA who WANTS to release games.

Crono1973:

TheLycanKing144:

Crono1973:

Nintendo needs new leadership. As likeable as Iwata is, he just isn't leading the company to success. He did well with the DS and the Wii but he should have known that it was time to stop with criminally underpowered hardware and gimmicks. Minus the $150 Upad, they could have made a beefier system for $300-$350. He also should have learned from the 3DS that a product name that is too similar to it's predecessor confuses consumers.

I think Nintendo is just kind of stuck in the past, they don't want to really embrace new tech or push the industry forward in that aspect, if it were up to them we would just now be getting HD gaming and decent console online experiences.

I love their first party, that's what makes me buy their systems, but at this moment it doesn't seem like the Wii-U will win me over with that alone. The other systems are going to offer deeper and more impressive experiences that the Wii U simply won't be worth my time.

As for the 3DS, it seems to be doing fine at the moment. But the reason I haven't picked one up is because the device gives me headaches, I hate the 3D effect. Even though you can turn it off I don't see the point, especially as it only has one analog stick. These are the things I am talking about, Nintendo refusing to get with the times.

If they continue this they will become a niche market for just the Nintendo brand alone, or if it got really bad they would go 3rd party (which I don't think would be a bad thing in and of it's self). Imagine having a Zelda game on PS4 or 720? Amazing possibilities that Nintendo could do themselves if they made a more powerful system.

The 3DS is actually doing fine now, it just had a bumpy launch.
The reason the WiiU isn't selling well is because of the Wii.

Souplex:
The 3DS is actually doing fine now, it just had a bumpy launch.
The reason the WiiU isn't selling well is because of the Wii.

The price drop of the Vita is very encouraging though. I wouldn't be surprised if we see price cuts in Europe and North America and the Vita takes off.

Crono1973:

TheLycanKing144:

EA isn't supporting the WiiU because Nintendo refused to force Origin down people's throats. EA demanded the WiiU's internet be Origin Based, and Nintendo Refused, because then EA would pretty much own Nintendo. Crysis 3 could run beautifully on the WiiU, but because EA didn't have it it's way, it didn't bother porting it.

Ubisoft, however, is not on the same boat as EA at all. Ubisoft is actually very supportive to the WiiU, only having minor complaints with Nintendo. That's why Watch_Dogs is coming to the WiiU, the exact same day as it's launched on the PS3, PS4, Xbox 360 and Nextbox.

Activision is a bit more critical of Nintendo than Ubisoft, but they are also fully supporting the WiiU. That's why it's heavily rumored that Bungie's next Game, Destiny, is coming to the WiiU.

So out of all the big 3rd Party publishers, only EA is against Nintendo and the WiiU. The Way EA behaves and acts, and forces people to do things that make absolutely no sense, though, would you honestly want EA to support Nintendo?

The way I see it is there are mainly three main issues with it:

One is the price, it costs a little more than most people are willing to spend right now. That's the issue they avoided by making the Wii really cheap. But most people don't want to pay the full console price for a new console because we're still not fully out of the recession yet so they're sticking with what they have now.

The main one though is marketing. The Wii was exceptionally well marketed. When it first came out everyone knew what the Wii was and everyone wanted one. The Wii was sold out everywhere when it first came out. Nintendo didn't do as good a job with marketing this time around. A good number of people aren't even aware of the Wii U, I've met a few people who thought it was an add on for the Wii, and for those that are Nintendo didn't really make it look as appealing as they did the Wii, the Wii's advertizing really benefited from the very visual appeal of motion control something that the Wii U's controller can't imitate.

And of course there's always the omnipresent new console paradox: "it has no games so no one wants to buy it, but no one wants to make games for it because no one is buying it." This tend to happen with most new console releases, it happened with the Wii (to a tiny extent, people complained about the lack of games at first but it didn't really affect sales), this happened with the 3DS, this happened with the 3DS. It'll get better as more games are released but Nintendo really could have prevented this if they had more games out at launch.

I, ever the optimist, think that sales will eventually go up as more games are released for it and word of mouth starts going around and people begin to learn more about it. Of course sales won't go up too far until the economy improves some more. But all this is just my opinion on things, I'm no expert.

TheLycanKing144:

I think Nintendo is just kind of stuck in the past, they don't want to really embrace new tech or push the industry forward in that aspect, if it were up to them we would just now be getting HD gaming and decent console online experiences.

I love their first party, that's what makes me buy their systems, but at this moment it doesn't seem like the Wii-U will win me over with that alone. The other systems are going to offer deeper and more impressive experiences that the Wii U simply won't be worth my time.

As for the 3DS, it seems to be doing fine at the moment. But the reason I haven't picked one up is because the device gives me headaches, I hate the 3D effect. Even though you can turn it off I don't see the point, especially as it only has one analog stick. These are the things I am talking about, Nintendo refusing to get with the times.

If they continue this they will become a niche market for just the Nintendo brand alone, or if it got really bad they would go 3rd party (which I don't think would be a bad thing in and of it's self). Imagine having a Zelda game on PS4 or 720? Amazing possibilities that Nintendo could do themselves if they made a more powerful system.

I rarely use the 3D and when I do it's for less than a minute each time. The implementation is poor, you have to find the sweet spot. I can't see how Nintendo thought that was ready for market but I point the finger at the leadership with Iwata as Captain. I also don't appreciate the design flaw that scratches the top screen, this is simply unacceptable. I keep my handhelds in mint condition but I can't prevent a design flaw and now my shiny red 3DS has that scratch.

I don't want Nintendo to go third party, I want to buy Nintendo consoles and handhelds but I want those consoles and handhelds to be both desirable to me and durable.

Crono1973:
Kupo!

I think you got off lucky with just a scratch. My special edition Zelda 3DS has two dead pixels. They're only visible on a black backdrop, but they are most definitely there. Which upsets me greatly because Nintendo can't really do anything about that, short of giving me a new device, which I'm 80% sure wouldn't be the Zelda version I have now. And the existence of a dead pixel has a possibility of spreading and causing more dead pixels. I'll trade my two dead pixels for your scratch any day. :{

Note: I do actually understand what you're saying, too. I've always got lines on my top screen from when I had it closed, that I have to wipe off or they bother me. Who thought it was a good idea to make the bottom screen protrude so far out that it outdoes the rubbers on the corners and touches the top screen?

Extra side-note: My Wii U Game Pad also has a freaking dead pixel. >_> I don't know if I'm cursed or if Nintendo's doing an increasingly sloppier job with their screens.

Exius Xavarus:

Crono1973:
Kupo!

I think you got off lucky with just a scratch. My special edition Zelda 3DS has two dead pixels. They're only visible on a black backdrop, but they are most definitely there. Which upsets me greatly because Nintendo can't really do anything about that, short of giving me a new device, which I'm 80% sure wouldn't be the Zelda version I have now. And the existence of a dead pixel has a possibility of spreading and causing more dead pixels. I'll trade my two dead pixels for your scratch any day. :{

Note: I do actually understand what you're saying, too. I've always got lines on my top screen from when I had it closed, that I have to wipe off or they bother me. Who thought it was a good idea to make the bottom screen protrude so far out that it outdoes the rubbers on the corners and touches the top screen?

I agree that dead pixels are worse than this scratch. I think it's obvious that Nintendo no longer makes their products out of Nintendium and for that too, I point my finger to the top. Nintendo needs new leadership, the reputation they built for years is in danger. I also can't say I am satisfied with some of their first party games like Skyward Sword and Sticker Star.

Crono1973:

TheLycanKing144:

Crono1973:

Yes. Here:

I don't see where Ubisoft said they wouldn't make any more WiiU game though.

Ubisoft won't abandon Nintendo for quite a while yet. To quote Brokeback Mountain, they just can't quit U. They sold more games on the Wii this gen than on any other platform. They were the publisher to make the most money off the console after Nintendo. For them, it was a huge money maker, and they're not going to give up on that potential audience after a couple of months.

Sure, they're not happy with the initial sales. No-one is, not even Nintendo. But they're not going to give up on them yet, because there's too much money to be made in things like Just Dance and Rabbids, much as we traditional gamers might hate those games.

As for EA... they're dicks? Sorry if that doesn't sound all that analytical, but what more is there to say? EA have never really had much love for Nintendo. The minute they got hold of the Burnout series, which had always sold well on the Gamecube, they made it an Xbox and PS2 exclusive. They admitted fucking up this gen by not getting on the Wii bandwagon, then refused to get onboard the Wii bandwagon. And yeah, apparently they wanted to force Origin into Nintendo's online infrastructure, and Nintendo told them to go do one.

You'd be amazed how much corporate behaviour is done out of nothing more than spite or pig-headedness.

EA saying the Wii U isn't next-gen doesn't make it so. Firstly, next-gen has never been denominated by class, it's simply a reference to time. When we talk about the sixth generation, we talk about the console period prior to this one, from 2000-2006 (roughly). The fifth generation was the one prior to that, 1994-2000 (again, roughly). The Wii was a seventh generation console. Therefore the Wii U, being released at the start of a new generation, is an eigth generation console, and therefore next-gen.

Secondly, the Wii U may not be as powerful as the PS4, but it's still a step up from current gen. Crytek have said that it can run Cryengine 3 perfectly. Criterion have confirmed they're using the PC textures, lighting and draw distances for the Wii U version of Most Wanted. Trine 2 on the Wii U is a graphical step up from the other console versions.

Quite simply, just because EA says something, doesn't make it so. That statement was made by a CEO who's now had to step down because under his run the company has gone down the shitter, and alienated huge swathes of its fanbase. I'd take whatever they have to say on anything with a huge grain of salt. Even if it was just "Hello".

Crono1973:
Kweh!

I didn't mind Skyward Sword but it wasn't particularly all that great. I wish the whole game area was more than one massive puzzle. I liked exploring the massive world of Hyrule. Also, I didn't care much about the art for it. I just don't personally think that Wind Waker and Twilight Princess mesh well. Overall, it was okay but not their finest title.

Sticker Star, on the other hand...I actually had a hard time playing it. It's ridiculous how badly that game flares up symptoms of Pack Rat Syndrome. I never wanted to use anything because I might need it later. Those giant ass world stickers? Nope, I might need them later. But they take up SO much space!. I was very disappoint with Sticker Star, being a fan of the Paper Mario series.

EA may be hated but they aren't irrelevant. Also, do you doubt that EA has had access to dev kits for the PS4 and 720? I guess they probably know their shit. EA develops games for many platforms. This isn't some indie dev talking shit.

As for EA's CEO stepping down, I think we'll be seeing that from Iwata soon.

Forlong:
The Wii U sales haven't been steller. And I mean in terms of most Nintendo hardware. Saying the Nintendo product "isn't selling as expected" is like saying that Donald Trump is losing money. There is no real reason to worry.

However, this is a pattern that has emmerged in the youth of the eighth console generation. The 3DS had similar sales issues, and the Vita had them in spades. If what Sony says about PS4 specs is any indicator, this selling issue will hit it like a wrecking ball. Microsoft will fair no better than Nintendo. As for the fabled Steambox...er...we can download Steam onto our computers, so Valve will need to throw one hell of a sales pitch at E3.

I think what happened was that gamers in general have gotten wise to this ploy. Developers long believed they always needed to be on the cutting edge of inovation. New graphics, new control mods, new features, ect. But thanks to the development of technology, inovation can take the back seat. We certainly still need inovation, just not in the form of new tech every seven years. Sure Nintendo needed a new console, but do Sony and Microsoft really need it? Nope.

The bad news is that the console providors will be in denial of this fact for quite a while. We might indeed, have to watch Sony go bankrupt. We my have to suffer through more of Microsoft struggling to come up with "hip" names for new consoles. We can only hope EA makes a botched console that we all comfortably laugh at.

The good news is that, once they figured this out, we won't be seeing new consoles for a long time. A console generation will last for an average of 12 years, instead of 8. We might see a few upgrade parts, like the ROM addaptor for the N64, but not as much new consoles. Game devs will clue in soon after and step in line, focusing on just making good games rather than being on the cutting edge 100% of the time.

A man can dream...a man can dream...

I agree rather then having new consoles every x years why don't they focus on making games that are actually good

Crono1973:

You don't seem to understand yet: Nintendo doesn't do cutting edge hardware. Their entire company motto, ever since the stratospheric success of the Gameboy, has been to utilise slightly older tech in a way that's easier to work with, easier to tweak for their own purposes, and easier to profit from. The only time they deviated from that philosophy with the N64, was when they lost the most marketshare and money.

The Wii U is underpowered compared to the PS4, perhaps, but it isn't criminally so. Nintendo wanted to make a console capable of HD visuals, and they've done so. It supports modern engines from other developers. As far as they're concerned, that's fine. How would Mario benefit from having an extra 6GB of RAM? How would the latest ambient occlusion features help Zelda? Those do nothing for actual gameplay. If anything, the current gen has shown that all those latest toys just get developers bogged down in trying to make the prettiest visuals, rather than focusing on gameplay.

Iwata's fine. He's a former developer, he understands good game design, he knows how important it is to focus on good software first and foremost. Under him, Nintendo have avoided the same bullshit anti-consumer policies that have polluted other companies. I'd much rather have an actual gamer in charge of Nintendo than another business type like Kotick or Riciticiticiticello.

Reggie can go though. Dude's worn out his welcome, and at this point he isn't doing Nintendo any favours. Get him out, and get this guy in. He's approachable, he actually sounds like he knows what he's talking about, and he seems to understand the importance of getting games from Japan to the west.

TheLycanKing144:

Graphically intensive games which require the funding of a small country to get made, focus on visuals over gameplay, and could put Nintendo under if they don't sell well? Sounds swell...

Crono1973:
EA may be hated but they aren't irrelevant. Also, do you doubt that EA has had access to dev kits for the PS4 and 720? I guess they probably know their shit. EA develops games for many platforms. This isn't some indie dev talking shit.

Again, whether they've got devkits for Nextbox/PS4 or not, they're talking shit if they think pure specs are enough to make a console next-gen or not.

Power has never won a console war, not since the SNES days. I don't see any fundamental change in the gaming industry which would change that now. If EA are going to ignore the Wii U because of specs, that only shows how ignorant they are of industry trends, and how willing they are to go along with the "herp derp polygonspolygonspolygons!" argument that is currently bankrupting the industry.

Iwata isn't going anywhere. He's the man who took over Nintendo when it was losing marketshare with the Gamecube, and turned them into a company with two of the most succesful consoles of all time (in the case of the DS, the most successful console in history). He's overseen a turnaround for the 3DS, and managed to turn Nintendo around when they made one annual loss.

I've no doubt he's under pressure, but I don't see him stepping down anytime soon. Not unless the Wii U well and truly bombs, which is still unlikely at this point. Yamuichi is a majority shareholder in Nintendo, and he personally appointed Iwata as his successor. He's not going to throw his protege under the bus.

j-e-f-f-e-r-s:

Crono1973:

Again, whether they've got devkits for Nextbox/PS4 or not, they're talking shit if they think pure specs are enough to make a console next-gen or not.

Power has never won a console war, not since the SNES days. I don't see any fundamental change in the gaming industry which would change that now. If EA are going to ignore the Wii U because of specs, that only shows how ignorant they are of industry trends, and how willing they are to go along with the "herp derp polygonspolygonspolygons!" argument that is currently bankrupting the industry.

Iwata isn't going anywhere. He's the man who took over Nintendo when it was losing marketshare with the Gamecube, and turned them into a company with two of the most succesful consoles of all time (in the case of the DS, the most successful console in history). He's overseen a turnaround for the 3DS, and managed to turn Nintendo around when they made one annual loss.

I've no doubt he's under pressure, but I don't see him stepping down anytime soon. Not unless the Wii U well and truly bombs, which is still unlikely at this point. Yamuichi is a majority shareholder in Nintendo, and he personally appointed Iwata as his successor. He's not going to throw his protege under the bus.

Yes, because EA knows nothing about making games, right?

I doubt they are ignoring the WiiU over specs, more than likely they simply have little faith in it to sell third party games.

Iwata was successful with one handheld and one console but that won't help keep him employed if the WiiU fails. He already took a paycut over the 3DS mess and here we are again with the WiiU which isn't likely to meet expectations. He even implied he would resign over poor business performance.

Nintendo president Satoru Iwata has implied to investors at the recent analysts meeting that there is a chance that he may resign if he is unable to achieve 100 billion yen (US$1.09963 billion) in operating income for the next fiscal year.

http://mynintendonews.com/2013/01/31/iwata-implies-he-may-resign-over-poor-business-performance/

Because the WiiU is a peripheral, not a system and I don't care what Nintendo claims to the contrary. I'm sure I'm not alone in thinking this way. So yeah, I've already got a few dust gathering wii peripherals, I don't really need another. I will admit, I'm tempted to get a 3ds, some good games are starting to come out. That said, I hate the 3D, so it's still hard to justify a purchase, particularly when I can buy and play perfectly capable and fun little hand held time killers for $1 a piece on my phone.

Crono1973:

I doubt they are ignoring the WiiU over specs, more than likely they simply have little faith in it to sell third party games.

I think EA are just continuing being EA, and having as little to do with Nintendo as possible. They never had a strong presence on the Gameboy, the DS, the Gamecube, the Wii or the 3DS. This is just the latest in a long-line of anti-Nintendo behaviour. Nintendo survived without them before, I doubt they're losing much sleep over EA now.

And EA may know about making games, but they seem to know very little at actually developing and marketing them in a cost effective manner at the moment. 500 million dollars to make an market The Old Republic? 100 million dollar marketing campaign just for Battlefield 3? 700 million spent on purchasing Zynga? 800 million just to purchase Bioware and Pandemic, only to then close Pandemic down a year later?

EA's been posting losses for a long time, and behaviour like that is the reason why. I'm amazed it took them this long to get rid of their CEO.

Iwata was successful with one handheld and one console but that won't help keep him employed if the WiiU fails. He already took a paycut over the 3DS mess and here we are again with the WiiU which isn't likely to meet expectations. He even implied he would resign over poor business performance.

Nintendo president Satoru Iwata has implied to investors at the recent analysts meeting that there is a chance that he may resign if he is unable to achieve 100 billion yen (US$1.09963 billion) in operating income for the next fiscal year.

http://mynintendonews.com/2013/01/31/iwata-implies-he-may-resign-over-poor-business-performance/

Implied nothing. All he did was confirm that he was committing to making a profit for Nintendo. Nowhere did he say anything that would suggest resignation. That's just speculation without much evidence.

Probably because it doesn't have enough exclusive titles to warrant buying it, at its current pricetag, when it doesn't have any features to set it apart from the PS3 and 360.

I wouldn't buy the system for the added feature of being able to play on a tablet. It could have its uses but when I play a game I'd rather see it on a widescreen TV than stare at a tablet in my lap. Even if it gives me more features I'd probably be a little annoyed with having to divide my attention between two screens.

On top of the lack of marketing I can vouch for not being able to find one in any major retailer (Best Buy, Walmart, Target, etc) this past holiday season. I finally found a display in a Target some time after the launch date with no playable demo games which seems like an utter waste of having it there.

And for the people who knew it existed and heard of all the missteps of the launch did it really make you want to go out and buy one?

I remember the past system releases having strong 1st party releases either on launch day or right around the corner. Maybe things will pick up with a serious Mario, Zelda, Metroid, SSB, Starfox, or Mario Kart release.

j-e-f-f-e-r-s:

Crono1973:

I think EA are just continuing being EA, and having as little to do with Nintendo as possible. They never had a strong presence on the Gameboy, the DS, the Gamecube, the Wii or the 3DS. This is just the latest in a long-line of anti-Nintendo behaviour. Nintendo survived without them before, I doubt they're losing much sleep over EA now.

And EA may know about making games, but they seem to know very little at actually developing and marketing them in a cost effective manner at the moment. 500 million dollars to make an market The Old Republic? 100 million dollar marketing campaign just for Battlefield 3? 700 million spent on purchasing Zynga? 800 million just to purchase Bioware and Pandemic, only to then close Pandemic down a year later?

EA's been posting losses for a long time, and behaviour like that is the reason why. I'm amazed it took them this long to get rid of their CEO.

Implied nothing. All he did was confirm that he was committing to making a profit for Nintendo. Nowhere did he say anything that would suggest resignation. That's just speculation without much evidence.

You really are as fanatical as your reputation suggests. Carry on. I am sure we will both be here if Iwata does resign.

Crono1973:

You really are as fanatical as your reputation suggests. Carry on. I am sure we will both be here if Iwata does resign.

Fanatical? I'm just responding to your points with info I currently have. If having a debate is fanatical, then the entire purpose of this discussion board is to provoke fanaticism.

Are my claims wrong? Have EA not been posting big losses. Have they not been spending huge money on games and studios, only to squander that money spent? Did Iwata actually outright say in that article that he was going to resign. I didn't see it, and it's a second hand article with only one direct quote from the man himself. I'd be reluctant to use it to argue anything with so little info directly sourced.

j-e-f-f-e-r-s:

Crono1973:

Fanatical? I'm just responding to your points with info I currently have. If having a debate is fanatical, then the entire purpose of this discussion board is to provoke fanaticism.

Are my claims wrong? Have EA not been posting big losses. Have they not been spending huge money on games and studios, only to squander that money spent? Did Iwata actually outright say in that article that he was going to resign. I didn't see it, and it's a second hand article with only one direct quote from the man himself. I'd be reluctant to use it to argue anything with so little info directly sourced.

Iwata implied that he would resign if things didn't drastically improve. What makes you fanatical is that you want to pretend he said nothing like that.

As for EA, if they were in Nintendo's camp, I suspect you would be saying "even if they are losing money, they still know the business they are in".

It doesn't matter to me, you are famous for being a Nintendo defender and I expect nothing less from you. I am genuinely curious what you will have to say IF the WiiU fails and/or Iwata resigns.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked