Why is the Wii U not selling as well as expected?

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

The Wii U sales haven't been steller. And I mean in terms of most Nintendo hardware. Saying the Nintendo product "isn't selling as expected" is like saying that Donald Trump is losing money. There is no real reason to worry.

However, this is a pattern that has emmerged in the youth of the eighth console generation. The 3DS had similar sales issues, and the Vita had them in spades. If what Sony says about PS4 specs is any indicator, this selling issue will hit it like a wrecking ball. Microsoft will fair no better than Nintendo. As for the fabled Steambox...er...we can download Steam onto our computers, so Valve will need to throw one hell of a sales pitch at E3.

I think what happened was that gamers in general have gotten wise to this ploy. Developers long believed they always needed to be on the cutting edge of inovation. New graphics, new control mods, new features, ect. But thanks to the development of technology, inovation can take the back seat. We certainly still need inovation, just not in the form of new tech every seven years. Sure Nintendo needed a new console, but do Sony and Microsoft really need it? Nope.

The bad news is that the console providors will be in denial of this fact for quite a while. We might indeed, have to watch Sony go bankrupt. We my have to suffer through more of Microsoft struggling to come up with "hip" names for new consoles. We can only hope EA makes a botched console that we all comfortably laugh at.

The good news is that, once they figured this out, we won't be seeing new consoles for a long time. A console generation will last for an average of 12 years, instead of 8. We might see a few upgrade parts, like the ROM addaptor for the N64, but not as much new consoles. Game devs will clue in soon after and step in line, focusing on just making good games rather than being on the cutting edge 100% of the time.

A man can dream...a man can dream...

I question who's the one doing the "expecting" about the sales of the Wii U.

If anyone expected the Wii U to have the same success as that of the Wii, then that's why they fail. The Wii was able to do something that no console has been able to do prior, and I doubt any console will ever to do again, it appealed to the mass market, well beyond the usual suspects.

Wii had marketing. Remember how many morning news/talk shows that had their anchors play the Wii Sports on and rave about it?
Wii had stupidly simple controls. You flail around and the game does stuff, so simple your grand-parents could figure it out... Eventually.
Wii had the price point. It cost well less than 360 and PS3.

Because games...

Seriously, there are very few games out for it at the moment, it would have had Rayman Legends (may have shifted some units) But that was pushed back to September for a multi-platform release. Even now, I won't be getting one until down the line because there aren't enough games to warrant a purchase from me (once Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem comes out, you can bet a Wii-U will be in my house all ready for it)

Yet there aren't that many games, I have 5 and enjoying all of them but so far there's one more out that I think I'm going to get, I think when the prise drops and Metroid and Zelda get their games out I think there will be a slight boost.

Also the fact that they haven't advertised it nearly at all. Many of my friends still have no idea that Nintendo have come out with a new console. I think they have lost a great deal of buyers in not advertising enough.

The WiiU isn't selling well (57k in January, 64k in Feb) because it has nothing to offer. The Wii had motion controls and even though they weren't 1:1, they excited people. This tablet controller doesn't excite people and the games aren't really exciting people either.

I think Nintendo should have made a more powerful system with a standard controller but there is no fixing that now.

http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/151079-only-64000-wii-u-consoles-sold-in-february-is-it-time-for-nintendo-to-leave-the-console-market

No good games, I know people don't want to talk about it but their launch titles were a mix of piss and old games you get elsewhere... so why would you buy their console then.

Until Nintendo pulls out their big franchises WiiU is a pointless object.

I would like to first point out that the Wii U is still doing no worse than the PS3 did in the months following it's launch.

I would then like to point out that the Wii U is suffering from the same issue the PS3 did. That is, it has very few worthwhile games. There are a few, a couple of which will probably be high sellers, but there aren't any console movers out yet. With slim pickings, most of which are ports of last-gen games, there's very little incentive yet to buy a Wii-U for most people.

With the PS4's announcement, Nintendo could do with getting into gear and getting some games out on their new system, because come E3, I have a feeling Sony is going to come out swinging.

-Few interesting games
-Lots of the "Casual" gamers didn't even know it was a new thing
-If these people did know it was a new thing they just thought it was an expansion
-The reputation Ninty earned with the Wii dissuaded a lot of people.

wintercoat:
I would like to first point out that the Wii U is still doing no worse than the PS3 did in the months following it's launch.

I would then like to point out that the Wii U is suffering from the same issue the PS3 did.

Well, yeah... exactly. Wasn't the PS3 considered to be a pretty lacklustre sort of launch?

It had hardly any worthwhile games, the competition outsold it by miles and even the PS2 was selling better for quite a while.

Saying a platform is doing no worse than the PS3 after its launch isn't exactly reassuring.

PS. Jeffers, it's the N signal!

The Wii-U doesn't have many games. It is like the PS3 has no games meme again.

I'm not worried about it. Once a zelda or new mario gets here the Wii U will sell like hotcakes.

The biggest reason for me and i think a lot of people is that the Wii U really doesn't have any games that justify spended a lot of money buy the think.

Too little too late. That's why.
They're basically offering the same hardware we've had for 7 years without the expansive video game library that is available on Xbox 360 and PS3.

Shiiiiiiit, man.

It no longer does anything different.

The draw for the WiiU was supposed to be: "You can play games on it from this generation! With a controller!"
I mean, come on.

There is the obvious reason that the Wii U doesn't really have the big must-have 1st party games on it yet, but we all know that. I think there's more than that to it though.

The reason the Wii was such a massive success is because it gained popularity among non-gamers. But as has already been mentioned, most of them don't even know that the Wii U exists, or what it is. But I think there's also the fact that those who do know what it is simply aren't interested. They don't care about the latest games and HD graphics. They think to themselves, "Why do I want another Wii? I've already got one", and I think the controller is putting some of them off too. While motion controls are very simple to understand, the gamepad of the Wii U could look very daunting to non-gamers.

But the Wii U is having trouble among gamers too, because of how early it was released. I think many gamers are looking at the Wii U as being a secondary console. They want it for their nostalgic Ninty favourites, and maybe whatever quirky things catch their eye, but it'll usually be supplementary to the "main" console of either the PS4 or whatever MS is bringing out. While there are some people for which the Wii U will probably be their main machine, most people are waiting to see what Sony and MS have to offer before considering a Wii U. But once it's established what those companies have to offer and people have decided which they will go for, and the Wii U starts getting the big games, gamers will start buying it more.

I'm pretty sure the Wii U will be secondary for me too, but that said I did order one the other day for Monster Hunter. I'm getting pretty tired of this generation, and I felt like something new. And come to think of it, it may become my primary next generation after all if Sony and MS don't start impressing me soon. The PS4 look okay at best, and the rumours about the next xBox sound like a nightmare. Like 1984 in a box.

Forlong:
However, this is a pattern that has emmerged in the youth of the eighth console generation. The 3DS had similar sales issues, and the Vita had them in spades.

The Vita was pretty doomed to begin with, but then again, that seems to be the pattern.

If what Sony says about PS4 specs is any indicator, this selling issue will hit it like a wrecking ball.

Are you kidding? Dudebros will hear about how shiny the turds on the next gen systems can be and jump all over it.

As for the fabled Steambox...er...we can download Steam onto our computers, so Valve will need to throw one hell of a sales pitch at E3.

They're Valve. They have the super power to do things that other evil corporations do and be rewarded with love and praise.

Developers long believed they always needed to be on the cutting edge of inovation.

Not really, no.

but do Sony and Microsoft really need it?

If you look at the millions of people who have been begging for one for years, then yes.

We might indeed, have to watch Sony go bankrupt.

Is this the gamer equivalent of a violent revenge fantasy or something? Because that's completely unrealistic.

The good news is that, once they figured this out, we won't be seeing new consoles for a long time.

That too.

It's fine to want these things, but to state them as though they have any place in reality is inane.

Game devs will clue in soon after and step in line, focusing on just making good games rather than being on the cutting edge 100% of the time.

And they'll start making 400 hour long games and giving them out for free. With candy, and ice cream, and....

A man can dream...a man can dream...

Doesn't really sound like a dream, per se.

Though it is interesting you segued from statements of "fact" to that.

Hades:
I'm not worried about it. Once a zelda or new mario gets here the Wii U will sell like hotcakes.

This is why the Gamecube was a veritable titan in its day.

People have finally learned their lesson to NOT buy any console as soon as its released.

- Barely any games are available for it
- The price for it (as well as the few games that ARE available) is the highest it will likely ever be
- There could be unanticipated problems with the console itself that calls for fixing and releasing a newer model
- In the WiiU's case, it doesn't seem to offer much of anything new in terms of innovation.

There are other reasons I'm sure but if Nintendo are expecting it to do better so soon after release, then they haven't learned this lesson yet. Sales will eventually soar when they release a library of decent titles.

Scrustle:

The reason the Wii was such a massive success is because it gained popularity among non-gamers. But as has already been mentioned, most of them don't even know that the Wii U exists, or what it is.

I disagree.

The problem is that non-gamers are a bad audience for a game console. They latched onto something shiny and new, bought no games for it, had fun with the pack-ins, and moved on. While the Wii is the undisputed leader of this generation, it remains it only because it took off so fast early on. They don't need a new console to not play.

I think Nintendo is even hip to this issue, which is why they have opted to try and court back the core gamer. It turns out that non-gamers are a bad long-term investment.

Auron225:
People have finally learned their lesson to NOT buy any console as soon as its released.

I see what you're saying, but it's only one console. Also, I just watched the SimCity fiasco live and in HD, so I'm not inclined to believe that gamers have learned their lesson.

Zachary Amaranth:

Scrustle:

The reason the Wii was such a massive success is because it gained popularity among non-gamers. But as has already been mentioned, most of them don't even know that the Wii U exists, or what it is.

I disagree.

The problem is that non-gamers are a bad audience for a game console. They latched onto something shiny and new, bought no games for it, had fun with the pack-ins, and moved on. While the Wii is the undisputed leader of this generation, it remains it only because it took off so fast early on. They don't need a new console to not play.

I think that's certainly as aspect of it. I talked about that in my post too, but I do think that the Wii U is generally not known anywhere near as much as the Wii was by the wider public.

Sales will pick up when the Next Zelda games comes out, obviously.

I'd be skipping the big boys this round & going for the Steam Box & Ouya...Well, I suppose I COULD get a Wii U & a Vita in 2 years & the 3DS & PSVita for christmas.... >_> But I prefer to wait until consoles are out of production. Buying a console still in production will be something I haven't done since the old SNES/Genesis days.

To this day, the Nintendo DS is my favorite because I have more games for it than any other, including ports & remakes.

Akratus:
The draw for the WiiU was supposed to be: "You can play games on it from this generation! With a controller!"

Exactly. "Current-gen graphics, just like a real console!" isn't much of a unique selling point.

It's a combination of things. Many gamers don't want next-gen consoles yet, and would rather see more new IP for existing consoles. Nintendo has also backed itself into an awkward position - a lot of the casual market it wooed so successfully with Wii and DS have either gotten bored, or grown up and moved onto PC/Xbox/PS3 - or, in the case of youngsters, are still happily playing on their WiiPlus or 3DS and lack the inclination or the funds to upgrade so soon.

The lack of games doesn't help, the silly peripheral that solves a problem that never existed doesn't help, and the traditional lack of 3rd party games doesn't help.

Batou667:

Akratus:

Exactly. "Current-gen graphics, just like a real console!" isn't much of a unique selling point.

It's a combination of things. Many gamers don't want next-gen consoles yet, and would rather see more new IP for existing consoles. Nintendo has also backed itself into an awkward position - a lot of the casual market it wooed so successfully with Wii and DS have either gotten bored, or grown up and moved onto PC/Xbox/PS3 - or, in the case of youngsters, are still happily playing on their WiiPlus or 3DS and lack the inclination or the funds to upgrade so soon.

The lack of games doesn't help, the silly peripheral that solves a problem that never existed doesn't help, and the traditional lack of 3rd party games doesn't help.

Agreed. Except I think that current gamers do want a new generation. Except they would like one that is something other than the current one with better hardware and some gimmicks.

When you release videos of the next gen, consisting of old franchises with the same old shtick then everyone will question why this needed a new generation of hardware in the first place.

Personally I would, if I were the CEO of Sony/Microsoft/Nintendo, go for dual support of both generations. And try to make the newer one, one with games not possible on the last generation, gameplay wise.

Auron225:

- Barely any games are available for it
- The price for it (as well as the few games that ARE available) is the highest it will likely ever be
- There could be unanticipated problems with the console itself that calls for fixing and releasing a newer model
- In the WiiU's case, it doesn't seem to offer much of anything new in terms of innovation.

There are other reasons I'm sure but if Nintendo are expecting it to do better so soon after release, then they haven't learned this lesson yet. Sales will eventually soar when they release a library of decent titles.

Just like a game....Wait a half or a whole year & the price plummets, things get added, & the kinks are all worked out.

The main problem is that it just doesn't have enough games. I like the console but there's only so many times I can play Nintendoland, Sonic & SEGA All Stars Racing Transformed and the Rayman Legends Demo, before getting bored with it.

There will be more for it eventually though and hopefully sales will pick up then.

I just hope the WiiU does'nt become Nintendo's "Dreamcast".

Well there's apparently few games and what I suspect to also be a big culprit is people (ie, people who don't look at gaming news) see "WiiU" and just assume it's an add-on for the Wii, that thing they don't play anything on anymore, and just keep walking.

They really should have named it something different.

I will wait for 12 months after the PS4 release and decide weather to buy the console or make a PC or both.

Price is a big factor.

Currently with my ps3 and low end laptop I have only experienced games like fallout and skyrim with low graphics. I want to play that stuff with very high graphics at 120fps

How cool would it be if you could buy a backward compatible next gen console. Put in your old games and download a patch that improves textures, improves graphics and increases the frame rate.

Actually, we do need new technology. 8 years of the same consoles, you reach limits. You can't go further. New technology allows devs to innovate further, do more and get more from their games. Basically, we get better games.

There's nothing on it.

I mean, the only game I'm remotely interested in is Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, and even then, I'm not buying a console for what is essentially an expansion pack for a game I already own.

Our economy isn't in as good a position as it was back when the Wii / 360 / ps3 were released. People have less money to spend on free time en-devours, at least if we are talking about the United States, so they are less willing to take risks on newer products.

On a side note, the industry itself has also somewhat battered itself with over abuse of preorder fanfare, where it's had to steadily increase the preorder incentives just to keep people doing it. Originally preorders just came with bonus ingame items or decals: now it's preorder a game to get access to the DLC content free and sometimes additional products.

Zhukov:

Funny, that was actually my first thought upon seeing the thread title. "Oh, boy! Time for more Nintendefense: Jeffers!"

Honestly, I couldn't say anything that hasn't been said. Not many game and all that yadda. It'll push more sales when the heavy hitters are out.

Honestly I think it'd be pretty cool if people stopped ramming it in our face that the Wii U isn't selling well. We heard you the first 20 times, we're not going to forget in 5 minutes.

Because all Nintendo has to offer their Fanboys...er...consumers is Zelda, Mario, and Metroid. Until one of those drops I doubt WiiU will have many sales at all, as you can get better libraries of games, at the same looks, on older consoles or PC.

The WiiU is too close to this generation in terms of tech to make it a killer item to buy, and once the better next gen consoles drop it will be in the same position the Wii was, using shitty older tech, without the benefit of having a huge casual install base.

Exius Xavarus:

Zhukov:

Funny, that was actually my first thought upon seeing the thread title. "Oh, boy! Time for more Nintendefense: Jeffers!"

Mine as well, I was really shocked he wasnt here already.

Zachary Amaranth:

Forlong:
If what Sony says about PS4 specs is any indicator, this selling issue will hit it like a wrecking ball.

Are you kidding? Dudebros will hear about how shiny the turds on the next gen systems can be and jump all over it.

They've gone down the same rout as the PS3. It's a powerful system that they're going to have to lose money on for X amount of years. And it's still going to be expensive if they do that.

The console crowd doesn't care that the PS3 will have twice as much memory as the nextbox. They just care whether it can play the new CoD. (bit of a generalisation, but meh).

You'll obviously get the hardcore Sony fans that would buy it at whatever price. But I think it'll see the same pattern as the Ps3. Lose a lot money over the first few years and then begin to crawl ahead as the generation is coming to an end and people realise it's a better machine than Microsoft's.

Abandon4093:

Zachary Amaranth:

Forlong:

They've gone down the same rout as the PS3. It's a powerful system that they're going to have to lose money on for X amount of years. And it's still going to be expensive if they do that.

The console crowd doesn't care that the PS3 will have twice as much memory as the nextbox. They just care whether it can play the new CoD. (bit of a generalisation, but meh).

You'll obviously get the hardcore Sony fans that would buy it at whatever price. But I think it'll see the same pattern as the Ps3. Lose a lot money over the first few years and then begin to crawl ahead as the generation is coming to an end and people realise it's a better machine than Microsoft's.

Actually, if you think about it they might stand to gain more sales away from Microsoft.

People may ask themselves if an extra 50-100-200 dollars or what have you is worth the ability to play their games without worrying about an internet connection, having to install your games to play them, ect.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked