The Mass Effect 3 Breakdown (spoilers)

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

So today, during the Mass Effect retrospective panel, Bioware released some interesting stats about how people have played Mass Effect 3.

First of all...

How could 3.8% of you shoot Mordin!?

Anyway one stat that interested me was that Vega, of all people, was the third most popular squad member. Whilst didn't surprise me at all that Liara and Garrus were one and two respectively, I never thought someone I'd always thought that he was one of the least popular people would beat out someone seen as a fan favourite, like Tali.

A couple that didn't surprise me at all were the soldier coming out on top as the most used class and about two-thirds of people playing Paragon Shep.

So how do you stack up against these stats? Are you, like me, one of the 4% that completed it on Insanity? Were you Male or Fem Shep? And are you one of the heartless bastards that killed Mordin?!

64% of people never meeting Wrex is surprising. A lot of people must have just jumped into the series late.

I haven't completed it on insanity, female Shepherd, naturally. And of course I didn't kill Mordin. I miss him so.

As of right now, I stack up like so:
- Cured the Genophage
- Met Wrex
- Have not completed on Insanity yet
- Have earned "Long Service" Medal
- Have not achieved 100% Readiness
- Male Shepard once, Female Shepard once
- Saved both
- I'm not sure what the "survival rate" is supposed to mean?
- Most popular squad mates were Garrus, Liara, and Tali
- Let Garrus win the first time, didn't the second
- How could I shoot Mordin? That's just evil. D:
- Soldier and Adept, Paragon both times.

I'm not sure if I could do a Renegade run, really. I still haven't even managed to finish Mass Effect 2 with a Renegade Shepard, it just feels wrong.

The video they released alongside it is actually really touching, or I'm going soft. They've wrapped up the trilogy, then polished it, put a bow on it, set it in cement and dropped it into the ocean. No way they are milking that trilogy any more.

Only 35.5% Renegade? What fun is that?

Andy Shandy:
So how do you stack up against these stats? Are you, like me, one of the 4% that completed it on Insanity? Were you Male or Fem Shep? And are you one of the heartless bastards that killed Mordin?!

Yup, I'm one of the 3.8% who shot Mordin! *insert evil laugh here* Only in 2 out of 7 games though.

It always kills me that Engineer and Adept are the least popular classes - those are my favourites! And the low popularity for Tali and Kaidan - if they hadn't been unavailable for the first third of the game I would have used them for everything(aside from my original game where I'd saved Ashley, of course). Unpopular choices=me, apparently (alhtough 6/7 of my games are maleShep, so I'm with the marjority on that one at least).

ReadyAmyFire:
64% of people never meeting Wrex is surprising. A lot of people must have just jumped into the series late.

Prior to the Genesis comic, everyone who started ME2 without an import had a dead-Wrex scenario, and when they released numbers after ME2, I think fewer than half had played the first one, so that makes sense to me.

Those poor 64%, they really missed something in Wrex.

Can't believe Vega of all people is that popular. Meh.

At what point can Liara/Vega die? I don't remember any situation like that.

How the ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffuck did nearly half these people play as soldier? It's so dull!

That's not the breakdown of Mass Effect 3. This is, man:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iiN8gL40d84

Man, people really don't like Kaidan.

GiantRaven:

Don't know either? Maybe they get killed by Harbingers shots during the final charge if your EMS is really low?

The survival rate one has me a bit confused. I mean, what do they mean about that? How often they get shot down in battle? Killed by Harbinger during the run for the beam if your EMS is too low? If it's the first, then how the hell is Kaidan ranked so low? He's the second tank! And why isn't he more popular?

Anyway, for me the stats are:

- 40 hours or so for the single player for my playthrough (I think)
- Cured the genophage
- Wrex was my bro
- I think I achieved 100% galactic readiness
- Did not beat ME3 (or ME2 for that matter) on insanity
- Got the Long Service medal (if you didn't in your first playthrough then you're playing wrong)
- Again, don't get what they mean by survival rate
- Of the squaddies, Kaidan is my fave.
- FemShep
- Saved both
- Didn't shoot Mordin
- Let Garrus win
- Soldier
- Killed less than 5,000 enemies total (single and multiplayer both)
- Paragon

Keep in mind that the reason Kaiden is so unpopular is because the vast majority of players are male, and chances are if you are male that means you let Ashley live (or if you're ps3 you didn't even have a choice in the matter).

Speaking of, I'm shocked at the percentages for the maleshep:femshep ratio. I mean, I knew that male Shepard was going to be more popular, but only 18% for female Shepard? Really???

Vega seems to only be unpopular on this site. I've talked to a lot of people who loved him. I'm surprised Tali is so low--oh, wait, no I'm not. You get her when you're over half way done with the game! I hate it when developers do this. They did the same thing with Legion. Grrr. Give me all my squadmates within the first few hours please! I want to use them.

As for everything else:

Insanity yes
No one dies, EVER! I refuse to let that happen, unless it's scripted.
Liara is my favorite, and whoever I feel like at the time.
Met Wrex
Saved both races
Cured Genophage
Max readiness
Garrus always wins
Paragon all the way, all playthroughs
First Infiltrator, then Engineer
Always play as Female Shepard (can't stand the male voice)
Always pick Ashley because she has a family that will miss her, so Kaiden always dies.

I hated how they made me half the game to get Tali and Legion.

You would think for a series that relied so heavily on player relations, they would make the majority of squad mates available pretty quickly.

Sniper Team 4:
Always pick Ashley because she has a family that will miss her, so Kaiden always dies.

Heh, I've heard a lot of the standard reasons for picking the same VS (Kaidan is boring/whines, Ashley is racist/bitchy) but this is the first time I've heard this one! I don't really get it, since they both talk about their families, but interesting reason!

chimpzy:
Man, people really don't like Kaidan.

GiantRaven:

Don't know either? Maybe they get killed by Harbingers shots during the final charge if your EMS is really low?

That's true, they do. Still surprising to see the difference between Vega and Liara - although I guess that's down to the difference in their popularity (which I assume means how often people use them).

This just proves that the target audience for ME3 weren't ME fans and RPG fans, but rather CoD fans. Why else would SO MANY players not meet Wrex and play with soldier class? There's nothing wrong with soldier class, don't get me wrong. But look at the statistics. If it didn't include casual shooter crowd you can bet the statistical difference between soldier and other classes wouldn't be that great.

Adam Jensen:
This just proves that the target audience for ME3 weren't ME fans and RPG fans, but rather CoD fans. Why else would so many people play not meet Wrex and play with soldier class?

Eh, I think that's actually lower than it was for ME and ME2 - wasn't it a full 50% soldier the last time they released the numbers? I think that's squarely on the shoulders of people being lazy and just going with the default rather than sitting there and thinking "This will make the game closer to CoD".

And again: you don't meet Wrex if you play the "numerous" dead option for a new game in 3, or if you played a pre-Genesis non-import in 2.

I just wish they would tell us who the most popular romance was once and for all. I know it's probably Tali judging by the sheer amount of people who have said so but I can still hope that Traynor and her toothbrush will shine through.

Stats because people are doing that.

- Like a billion hours across a great many playthroughs (around 300 for my me3 playthroughs)
- Cured the genophage every time
- Met Wrex, and used him in every mission in Citadel.
- Got 100% readiness before I ever started the main story because I just didn't want it to end.
- Beat all three on Insanity as Inflitrator and Engineer.
- Long service? Try FOREVER. I think I have like, at least a month of playtime across all 3.
- I think survival rate means how much they die in combat? Insanity makes sure they do.
- My favorite squadmate in 3 was probably Javik the Sass Master or EDI.
- Female Shepard on all finished playthroughs. Tried a dudeshep once in 2, quit before even getting Mordin.
- Saved both. I don't know how you can't unless you try.
- Didn't shoot Mordin, but did cry twelve rivers.
- Let Garrus win every time, but one where I felt bad and reloaded.
- My killcount currently is like 27000
- Saved Ashley because I didn't want Kirrahe (spelling?) to die and she was with him. Kaiden reminded me too much of Carth anyway.
- Paragon, and I have a renegade shepard too, but I just can't bring myself to finish it.
- AND BECAUSE IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN A STAT: I romanced Traynor and I don't even care what you think she is the best one. Thane is 2nd. Garrus 3rd. And if Wrex, Grunt, or Zaeed had been options, well, panties on the floor.

Edit: Everyone seems completely confused at Vega's popularity, and I would like to say that, other than is combat effectiveness, I did like him a lot. He added quite a bit of stupid humor, and is just a silly guy to look at anyway. Plus I like his voice, and his conversations with other party members are hilarious. So it is possible to think he's cool!

Holy crap, only 4% completed the game on Insanity? That makes me feel all kinds of special.

Played as a male paragon infiltrator, and saved pretty much everyone ever. Except Ashley. She died on Virmire. That aside, I'm a veritable space Jesus.

LOL - that puts me in a few minorities then. I finished the game on Insanity with an Engineer (though I've also had Soldier and Infiltrator playthroughs). FWIW my first playthrough on all three games has been with a Soldier, and I'm definitely not one of the CoD fanboy crowd.

Tali's relative unpopularity doesn't necessarily surprise me with the changes they made to the gameplay. They made tech/biotic combos a huge part of the gameplay in ME3, and Tali's really not much help with them. Also her previous strengths (fighting synthetics) are negated by the fact that you only do a few missions against synthetic enemies. So I'd read that as an indictment against her usefulness in combat rather than how well 'liked' the character is.

Only problem with that theory is it does nothing to explain Vega's popularity... :P

Ha! Take that Talimancers, she only lived 39% of the time! >:)

That leaves you with like the torso and leg to the knee. You can pick the leg. I'm assuming you'll take the lower torso for...um...obvious reasons.

I don't know why I'm proud of that.

Adam Jensen:
This just proves that the target audience for ME3 weren't ME fans and RPG fans, but rather CoD fans. Why else would SO MANY players not meet Wrex and play with soldier class? There's nothing wrong with soldier class, don't get me wrong. But look at the statistics. If it didn't include casual shooter crowd you can bet the statistical difference between soldier and other classes wouldn't be that great.

Yeah, this is 100% wrong, and ill elaborate.

First off, please stop roping CoD players into something as a bad thing. We have already seen there are many people who enjoy CoD as well as ME.

Now, the soldier class... I played the soldier class, why? Because I like to focus on heavy damage from weapons. I dont want to worry about my biotics or techs, so it fits perfectly. I usually have a biotic and a tech on my team though to balance it out. Being able to focus fire on an enemy, without worry about techs/biotics is a very good strategy, and it is EXCITING. You dont have to have tech/biotics for it to be exciting. So maybe people like the simplicity of it? Maybe some people played through only once, and playing as a soldier has a relatively low learning curve?

Also, the soldier class has been in sine ME1, so that invalidates your statement, since ME1 was for sure not built for CoD players.

EDIT: Also, with people making multiple playthroughs, im guessing more people will pick up at least 1 playthrough of Soldier, unlike Tech or Vanguard.

Now, Wrex, as people have said before, many of the players probably came in at ME2 or ME3, and if they didnt get the Genesis pack for ME2, then dead wrex. Mix that in with the renegades, and tada.

How did the people playing manshep stand it? His voice acting is soooooo bad next to femshep.

Also the 3.8 % of people who shot Mordin are dead inside.

And I think that the only reason that Vega is popular is because he has the most health out of all the team and he really helps on insanity. I hate the guy but he is a great bullet shield.

how about you give as Tali at beginning? the writing is really easy?
Oh hi tali, what are you doing here? me? just dropped Kaiden of at the hospital. Oh you wanna help fuck up the guys who did it? sure hop on. Oh you can't tell me why you are here? no problem i do trust you(or alternative freak out).

and how the fuck is vega so popular? it's not like i actively disliked the guy, he was just less useful than others in combat and his lines were neither insightful nor funny. i guess if he was around longer i might have grown to like him (since the only other new crew member is Javik and he is really useful and funny and everything he says is interesting because his perspective is so vastly different).

and i guess survival is how often people die in combat and how like they are to be revived(which i never do since i get xp for not using medi-gel), since the character with higher health and shields live longer.

wow only 4% of players finished it on insanity. ME3 was never that hard guys geeeeeeeeeez.

LetalisK:
Ha! Take that Talimancers, she only lived 39% of the time! >:)

That leaves you with like the torso and leg to the knee. You can pick the leg. I'm assuming you'll take the lower torso for...um...obvious reasons.

I don't know why I'm proud of that.

I'll take the upper torso and head, so I can listen to that sweet, sexy accent of hers. We'll fill the rest with some cyborg shit.

Gizmo1990:
How did the people playing manshep stand it? His voice acting is soooooo bad next to femshep.

Because femshep is even more irritating. So monotone and... breathy.

ReadyAmyFire:

I haven't completed it on insanity, female Shepherd, naturally. And of course I didn't kill Mordin. I miss him so.

I think that this means that a large number of players, if not the majority of players, didn't play ME1 or didn't import their ME1 saves.

OT:

I'm surprised about there being that many more paragons than renegades. It's always tempting to just punch your way through people's faces.
As for Vega being popular - I think many players just took him on a lot of missions for his power, not his personality. Personally, I preferred Javik (though I guess not everyone got the DLC).
Lastly, I'm surprised about most people choosing the Geth over the Quarians: In the first game they help the reapers, in the second you can make them work against the reapers by eliminating or converting the Heretics, and in the third game they apparently lied to you, because they're still working for the reapers.

Gizmo1990:

The best way I've heard it put is that while Mark Meer can be pretty brick-like in his recitations, he improves throughout the series. Compare some of his ME1 lines with some ME3 lines and you'll see the difference. Jennifer Hale, on the other hand, stays at about the same level of quality throughout the series. She's better in ME1, about the same overall in ME2, and worse in ME3.

Then again, I've only played through the series once, with MShep, so grains of salt and such.

OT:

I feel like I'm the only person who actually likes Kaiden, and apparently I am indeed part of the 1.5 per cent. Take that, plebs!

Surprised that Tali was so low on the popularity list, since so many people like her oh wait you have to play for twenty hours to even get to her and Legion goddammit.

norashepard:

- I think survival rate means how much they die in combat? Insanity makes sure they do.

I cant see how that could be it since Liara and Tali survive more than Kaidan, and with Barrier maxed out, he's a tank. It must mean story-deaths.

- Saved both. I don't know how you can't unless you try.

If Legion or Tali is dead (or either one wasn't loyal at the end of ME2), it's impossible to save both. You could call not keeping them loyal not trying, but Tali died on the suicide mission really easily - even when loyal. So it's not that unusual to have an import with her dead, I which case you're not making peace no matter how hard you try.

Tom_green_day:
The video they released alongside it is actually really touching, or I'm going soft. They've wrapped up the trilogy, then polished it, put a bow on it, set it in cement and dropped it into the ocean. No way they are milking that trilogy any more.

Eh heh heh. There's no way the Mass Effect IP is going away without pulling either a Dead Space or a Tony Hawk. Probably a mix of both.

Besides, I doubt you're going soft; Bioware's just really good at fan service. That's probably the only reason most people didn't call 2 and 3 out on their bullshit).

Also, your second sentence is completely wrong. No, bad DBD! No more bitching about Post-ME2 Bioware!

Soldier is a horrible class. Mark Mears is a horrible voice actor! (okay, not horrible, but femshep is voiced a ton better) Renegade is a much more satisfying game in most cases (not all, but most)... No wonder so many people had the game ruined for them by the ending. We didn't play the same game.

Adam Jensen:

How does the fact that people played the soldier class make the target audience CoD players? And..just for ME3? They didn't change anything for the classes in ME3 from the other games so Im not sure why it suddenly made the third game targeted at CoD players. If Bioware was targeting CoD players soldier would be the ONLY class. In fact, Bioware went out of their way to make all the other classes better in the sequels.

If ME3 was targeted at CoD players there wouldn't be half as much dialog and references to the previous games. (Seriously, play Priority Sur'kesh with Garrus and Liara and count how many references there are the the first games in the first 10 minutes)

If ME3 was targeted at CoD players there would be full-health regen instead of the health pack system

If ME3 was targeted at CoD players the game would be about fighting the reapers the entire game instead of bringing together allies and exploring the galaxy

Like, I hate CoD too, but the shear fact that the majority of people played the semi-canon class for Shepard doesn't mean the "target audience" was CoD players.

And the Wrex thing? Well, if you add up the people who joined in at ME2 before the comic (or..on the PC) which gave you a wrex-dead scenario

the people who killed him because they thought he was going to kill you

The people who let ashley kill him

and the people who either didn't have a high enough para/renegade score, or didnt do his armor quest

That's a lot of people. And again...has really nothing to do with CoD.

27% of people saved the Quarians? That should probably read "27% of people weren't paying attention when it turned out that the Quarians were the bad guys in that conflict.".

Hades:
Those poor 64%, they really missed something in Wrex.

Can't believe Vega of all people is that popular. Meh.

Gotta say, I think those 2 might be linked... Those who already had a "Wrex is dead" senario, are those who've jumped on late, you meet Vega right from the start and he's a big solider man, many probably just kept playing with him not really knowing anything else... That's my theory at least.

Shocksplicer:
27% of people saved the Quarians? That should probably read "27% of people weren't paying attention when it turned out that the Quarians were the bad guys in that conflict.".

Aside from the robots who have been shooting at you for three games, and jumped into bed with the main antagonists at the first sign of trouble?

Sarcasm aside, the only reason the Quarians were the 'bad guys' was because Bioware beat the player so hard with the Geth sympathy stick that they could be sued for assault.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked