I'll wait to see what the rest of 2013 has to offer
53.8% (49)
53.8% (49)
No
16.5% (15)
16.5% (15)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: Bioshock Infinite might be my game of the year

I've only played about 3 or 4 hours, but I love this game. It's one of the most enthralling adventures in any medium. The jaw dropping art, the underlining themes of race, religion, salvation, est., The Combat System, Sky-Lines, and so much more. I don't care if it's just March, I'm might as well call it Game of the Year already.
Thoughts to share?

I like it. I like it a lot. But I can't help feeling it lacks the charm of Bioshock, probably because the ruined city of Rapture seems much more of an iconic location to me. I've only really just started and met Elizabeth so I'll see.

So far GOTY? No. That goes to Tomb Raider!

As great as Infinite is we aren't even past the first quarter of the year yet. And even if you disregard all the very promising incoming titles gameplay wise it already doesn't come even close to the distilled fun of Revengeance (for me at least). The game does have a good chance of ending up as the best looking game this year, though.

Bioshock Infinite is a great game but it's ending for me leaves too much to be desired for GOTY. I want a real ending to a story, not ones that at worst leave me entirely bored and at best, grasping at straws.

My game of the year thus far is also Tomb Raider. Lara Croft is the best character I have played this year.

So far i disagree. 2013 might surprise me, but MGS:Rising Revengeance is by far the best game ive played this year.

As a game, I think the gameplay of Bioshock Infinite itself has evolved at a very, very slow pace from the original.

But yes, the underlying themes and motifs and relationship with Elizabeth makes this an incredibly intelligent and fulfilling game so far.

Good game, but I consider this *already* the most overrated game of 2013.

Tons of sites are just gushing over this because it's a Leftist's dream game. Absolutely nothing wrong with that, however it is no perfect 10 in my humble opinion; So many sites are giving it a perfect "10 out of 10" due to the liberal coalition fap-fest. It's like an insane caricature of Rightists as imagined by unhinged Leftists.

Again, inherently nothing wrong with that.. variety is the spice of life and we've had our fair share of right-wing trash fests. Perfect 10's across the board though? Nah, sorry. Creepy bias, I know it when I see it. I've already seen people degrading those who don't think the game is perfect as being racist or ignorant of "real America". Several news sites ran the non-story of Stormfront neo-Nazis claiming the game is "anti-white"... which is what Stormfront does ON A DAILY BASIS TO EVERYTHING. Why run the non-story before the game is even released? - Because anyone that doesn't join in on the liberal fap-fest is lumped with neo-Nazis.

I'm 8-9 hours in, I personally give it a generous 8/10. Great art direction, smooth play, good writing and dialogue. Combat gets to be a grind though, and the gameplay itself is pretty generic. Sky-hooking is great, and so are the "tears" but they are both underused. The checkpoint system is lolbad & NPC assets are reused ad-nauseam Great game, but could be better.

nexus:

Tons of sites are just gushing over this because it's a Leftist's dream game. Absolutely nothing wrong with that, however it is no perfect 10 in my humble opinion; So many sites are giving it a perfect "10 out of 10" due to the liberal coalition fap-fest. It's like an insane caricature of Rightists as imagined by unhinged Leftists.

Again, inherently nothing wrong with that.. variety is the spice of life and we've had our fair share of right-wing trash fests. Perfect 10's across the board though? Nah, sorry. Creepy bias, I know it when I see it. I've already seen people degrading those who don't think the game is perfect as being racist or ignorant of "real America". Several news sites ran the non-story of Stormfront neo-Nazis claiming the game is "anti-white"... which is what Stormfront does ON A DAILY BASIS TO EVERYTHING. Why run the non-story before the game is even released? - Because anyone that doesn't join in on the liberal fap-fest is lumped with neo-Nazis.

I'm 8-9 hours in, I personally give it a generous 8/10. Great art direction, smooth play, good writing and dialogue. Combat gets to be a grind though, and the gameplay itself is pretty generic. Sky-hooking is great, and so are the "tears" but they are both underused. The checkpoint system is lolbad & NPC assets are reused ad-nauseam Great game, but could be better.

This is the game that portrays a leader of a minorities/worker's rights movement as a cold blooded killer, someone who has no qualms with murdering children? The game shows how radical beliefs whether they be liberal,conservative, or religious, are detrimental to the society we live in as a whole. The game does not attack personal beliefs at all. This is coming from someone who is quite conservative on certain topics

Even though BioShock Infinite is fun there are still games that are coming like GTA5,MGS5,DA3 and many others that could be contenders for GOTY.

ShadowRatchet92:
I've only played about 3 or 4 hours, but I love this game. It's one of the most enthralling adventures in any medium. The jaw dropping art, the underlining themes of race, religion, salvation, est., The Combat System, Sky-Lines, and so much more. I don't care if it's just March, I'm might as well call it Game of the Year already.
Thoughts to share?

Wait until you've played through it once, and try playing through it again before saying it is GOTY material consider that Wasteland 2 is coming. The double fine adventure game? Planetary annihilation? This will be a great year for gaming. The winner for goty is not decided. Not by a long shot.

Just finished it a few hours ago. I think it's up there for best game ending ever (although that's coming from someone who liked ME3's ending, so depending on your perspective I'm either okay with open ends or dumb and wrong). I just replayed the first game earlier this week, and coming from all this I'd say Infinite is miles above it (literally). As great as 1's mystery and atmosphere is, and as good as the twist was at the time, the way Infinite is paced and how spectacularly it pays off combined with how much more realized Columbia is make it a better game narratively, and all the technical improvements are obvious.

This is definitely my front runner for game of the year, but there's so many other promising looking games that are scheduled to come out this year still. To name a few:

The Elder Scrolls Online
Metro- Last Light
South Park- The Stick of Truth
The Walking Dead- Season 2
Broken Age

So while I really, REALLY enjoyed Bioshock Infinite, I'm not quite ready to call it my absolute pick for GOTY

GOTY is debatable, however, I will say it's most likely won 'prettiest game of the year'.

The aesthetics and atmosphere of the game blew my mind (for reference, I was playing on max settings on PC).

Dat lighting engine...

nexus:

Coming from a highly liberal perspective, I really, really don't think that this game praises leftists any more than they do the right... Both sides in this conflict commit unspeakable atrocities, and there are numerous points where Booker literally says something akin to:

The Vox Populi are anarchistic rebels who want nothing more than petty vengeance on Comstock for what he did to the minorities of Columbia. Sure, early on in the game they may appear to be glorified as the protectors of justice, but you will see that they are anything but by the end.

Arguably, the Vox Populi may even be portrayed worse than Comstock. They don't appear to have any plans after they regain the city than to simply kill all the white people/loyalists. Both sides make HEAVY use of dishonest propaganda and group control techniques. Comstock managed to create a fairly prosperous if highly racist and corrupt city, whereas all the Vox Populi seem to be able to do is destroy things.

Daystar Clarion:
GOTY is debatable, however, I will say it's most likely won 'prettiest game of the year'.

The aesthetics and atmosphere of the game blew my mind (for reference, I was playing on max settings on PC).

Dat lighting engine...

I envy you Daystar. The only way I could keep my game at a stable 60 FPS without horrible horrible screen tearing was to put the game on high settings with VSync on. I could play high or ultra but then I only managed 30-50 FPS. And my computer is only a year or two old.

So where is the competition? Thus far in 2013 we have almost had more fails than hits. A:CM and Simcity have bombed hard, we've had a couple of console exclusives in gears of war and god of war, but what else? MGS? But what do I know since I've stopped buying games until I get my finals out of the way this summer. There will be a fair binge when that happens folks.

nexus:
Snip

Wow... Did we play the same game or what? The city and its politics are nothing but the backdrop to Elizabeth and Booker's story.

Did you think it was "Leftist" because it depicts white people being racist or what? That's how things were in 1912.
Booker's past as a Pinkerton and the massacre at Wounded Knee? They didn't even have to make that up.
Was it the Vox Populi? Did you seriously get the impression that they were depicted as righteous heroes?? 'Cause they sure as hell weren't.

I'll wait to see what the rest of the year has to offer, and then probably say no later on.
I think it was an excellent title that had some questionable choices that left certain things to be desired.
A solid 8/10, but definitely not perfection.

FINISH THE GAME.

Seriously I see so many people discussing the game without finishing it and it's like watching children discuss politics about entire nations.

If 2013 were to end right now, yeah, GOTY right there. However, it would be really foolish to just disregard everything 2013 still has to offer. Heck, last year I've changed my GOTY 2 times. First, there was Mass Effect 3, then it got overshadowed by The Walking Dead, and then, a little bit more than month before 2013 came along I bought Persona 4: Golden.

Yeah, looks like it will be my GOTY. (I hate that acronym. "Gotty". Ick.)

The only thing I can think of that might give it a challenge is The Last of Us. Nothing else is even remotely close to being in the same league.

I'd say so, yes. I think it deserves it. Seems like we get so many games that try to pull of what Bioshock and Infinite did but end up failing. Nothing is perfect, and this game sure isn't but its damn close.

What they did with Elizabeth was ground breaking. Honestly if you step back an examine the game after 1 or 2 playthroughs you'll see that they could have REALLY fucked up in a few places (Liz and the skylines being the biggest examples) but they didn't. The story was pretty impressive and could have tripped over itself but continued smoothly if bit ( and I mean a bit) sudden conclusion.

Looking at the competitors all I see is The Last of Us and the new GTA game.

GTA... ugh

It's already my personal Game Of The Year.
The only other games coming out that I could picture coming close are Watch Dogs and The Last Of Us but those don't look like they're going to change my mind.

Why are people so quick to get up in arms about someone declaring that they personally think a game might not be surpassed even though it's still so early in the year?

I've been pretty intently watching the other big game releases this year, and honestly the only thing that interests me to the same point as Infinite did would be Watch Dogs, and that doesn't even have a release date yet. Having just finished Infinite myself, I have to say that while I don't discount the possibility, it'll take something damn impressive to knock it off my Game of the Year platform.

Absolutely my Game Of The Year so far.

And I feel fairly confident I will be saying the same thing come 2014. The game just was so perfect for my tastes, I don't think anything could beat it in my book.

As other people have already stated, the only thing that could be better is The Last of Us, but I don't think it will sweep me away like Bioshock Infinite did.

Easily game of the year for me already. I'm not even finished, though I think I'm close. What will stand up to this? Watchdogs? GTA5? Destiny? I can't imagine any of those impressing me more than this. I like it more than the first Bioshock.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked