General Visual Novel discussion/recommend me some VN's (possible spoilers)

So, I've been on a visual novel stint lately. I started reading visual novels about a year and a half ago after I decided I wanted to continue the story of Clannad (ie. read stuff that was left out of the anime). Ever since then I've been reading/playing VN's pretty voraciously. Can't decide what I want to read next, so let's talk about some Visual Novels and maybe I can get some ideas on what to read.

Also, as for recommendations, I'll take any, but tbh I really enjoy romance in my Visual Novels, it's not a deal breaker if it doesn't have it, but I do enjoy it.

Visual novels I've read. (this is not every one I've read, but it's the most memorable of the bunch.)

Clannad - Key

Little Busters! - Key

Cross Channel

Yume Miru Kisuri: A Drug that Makes you Dream

Osananajimi wa Daitouryou: My Girlfriend is the President

Hoshizora no Memoria: Wish Upon a Shooting Star

Katawa Shoujo

Fate/Stay Night

Tsukihime

These are not all the visual novels I've read, but I've been typing for a good 90 minutes now and it's nearing 7 AM.

If this thread get's any kind of traffic, I'll gladly update later, feel free to post recommendations/mini reviews of your own, please add spoiler tags for anyone who hasn't read them/may want to read them in the future.

Have you read Symphonic Rain yet? If not I'd highly recommend it.

It features some great characters, a great soundtrack and one of the only player choices in a game that actually left me confused and torn about what to do.

Monster Girl Quest Part 1 and 2 (part 3 will be released this year) is another one of my favourites.

Despite the initial impressions it may give the story is quite good, the combat is pretty good and the characters are surprisingly very likeable and entertaining. It also pokes fun at jrpg/rpg tropes and cliches and has a good sense of humour. Just be warned that there are a lot of "NOPE" moments that may turn some people off.

If you liked Clannad then you'll most likely enjoy Planetarian too.

It's very short (less than 4 hours) but provides a rather unique setting and situation as far as romance stories go.

kanna little sister,

yes i know it sounds like one of those weird games, but there's only about 1 or 2 h scenes in it, and well i cried.

Narcissu, its a kn but its a tearjerker. I seriously cant bring myself to play it again, not because its bad, because it made me cry manly tears.
http://narcissu.insani.org/
And as a plus its free, seriously go play it, theres also the prequel, but i prefer this one.

Kanon (play the all ages version seriously)
if you can get past the key art style its good.

rewrite, its good

chaos head if you can get the translation patch for it. If i remember rightly it was a pain to get and worse to get working.

most of the infinity series ever 17 ,remember 11 ect.

theres alot of other ones but i cant remember the names.

oh and before i forget
HERES THE BEST ONE IN THE WORLD

SHIRA OKA

why?

ChupathingyX:
Have you read Symphonic Rain yet? If not I'd highly recommend it.

It features some great characters, a great soundtrack and one of the only player choices in a game that actually left me confused and torn about what to do.

Monster Girl Quest Part 1 and 2 (part 3 will be released this year) is another one of my favourites.

Despite the initial impressions it may give the story is quite good, the combat is pretty good and the characters are surprisingly very likeable and entertaining. It also pokes fun at jrpg/rpg tropes and cliches and has a good sense of humour. Just be warned that there are a lot of "NOPE" moments that may turn some people off.

If you liked Clannad then you'll most likely enjoy Planetarian too.

It's very short (less than 4 hours) but provides a rather unique setting and situation as far as romance stories go.

zidine100:
kanna little sister,

yes i know it sounds like one of those weird games, but there's only about 1 or 2 h scenes in it, and well i cried.

Narcissu, its a kn but its a tearjerker. I seriously cant bring myself to play it again, not because its bad, because it made me cry manly tears.
http://narcissu.insani.org/
And as a plus its free, seriously go play it, theres also the prequel, but i prefer this one.

Kanon (play the all ages version seriously)
if you can get past the key art style its good.

rewrite, its good

chaos head if you can get the translation patch for it. If i remember rightly it was a pain to get and worse to get working.

most of the infinity series ever 17 ,remember 11 ect.

theres alot of other ones but i cant remember the names.

oh and before i forget
HERES THE BEST ONE IN THE WORLD

SHIRA OKA

why?

I made 2 posts by accident, the other thread has a lot more traffic, so feel free to head to that one http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.404396-General-Visual-Novel-discussion-recommend-me-some-VNs-possible-spoilers#16753885. I have read both of your posts, and I'm going to attempt to delete this thread so I don't get in trouble from the mods.

Visual Novels/Dating Sims are something I'd like to get into but I can't read Japanese, and few of them ever get translated.

That said I recently played through Analogue - A Hate Story (available and on sale until the 29th on Steam), really interesting, non-linear storytelling (I think it also counts as epistolary too), and requires a bit more input at points on your part than a typical Visual Novel.

don't take it personally, babe, it just ain't your story (weird title, I know) from the same dev is also pretty good.

Diddy_King:
snip

You should play the muv luv trilogy

You might actually like the first game cuz its a rom com, but it turns into a mecha game in the latter installments and its all tied in together.

Each game goes through the characters progression as a person and it is pretty interesting.

Be warned that it is a very long game and it will suck around 100 hours if you decide to go through the whole trilogy

Also theres Kamidori which is a strategy RPG with visual novel elements. The story routes are kinda there for the sake of context, but it has fantastic gameplay as well as awesome artwork

Gatx:
Visual Novels/Dating Sims are something I'd like to get into but I can't read Japanese, and few of them ever get translated.

That said I recently played through Analogue - A Hate Story (available and on sale until the 29th on Steam), really interesting, non-linear storytelling (I think it also counts as epistolary too), and requires a bit more input at points on your part than a typical Visual Novel.

don't take it personally, babe, it just ain't your story (weird title, I know) from the same dev is also pretty good.

There are a ton of Visual Novels that have been translated, and quite a few good quality ones. If you've watched Clannad (anime) I started with the Clannad VN myself, and even though I already *knew* what was going to happen it was a fun experience. There are a ton of them out there that are well worth a read, what are your "interests", ie. romance, action, drama, etc.?

Diddy_King:
Also, as for recommendations, I'll take any, but tbh I really enjoy romance in my Visual Novels, it's not a deal breaker if it doesn't have it, but I do enjoy it.

I came to recommend Fate Stay Night, but you already played that one. Bravo.

So instead I'll recommend these: Fate Hollow Atraxia. It's WAY sillier than Stay Night, but it does answer some unanswered questions including:

And School Days. It has a reputation. It deserves it. However, it is also one of THE best visual novels I have ever played.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked