Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate: A Smashing Success in the UK

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate is 7th in UK Sales Charts. 55% Of Sales come from the 3DS, but more importantly, 45% Come from the WiiU, and it makes up nearly 50% of the value of WiiU software sales across the board. MH3U also is number 2 on the WiiU's UK eShop. What does everyone think? Is the WiiU Starting to make a turnaround, at least in Europe? Or is this only temporary?

I think it's a turnaround. Nintendo needed Good games to be launched on the System, and since 3 really good games (This, Lego City and Need For Speed) are released, the system will finally start seeing sales.

Also, share your thoughts on the success of the game!

Well I didn't expect that. That's good news! I personally bought a Wii U a few days ago, to play Monster Hunter. Really enjoying it.

This could be the start of a turnaround, but it's only one game so far. One that's fairly obscure and niche too. It's good that something like that can find success, but I don't see it being a long-term system seller. I would expect Lego City would be better for drawing more people in than Monster Hunter.

That's great news. Planning on getting my Wii U this weekend, thinking of getting this title with it. Apparently Wii U sales in the UK got a decent sales spike because of this game, so hopefully the worst is now over. Let's see if Lego City and Need For Speed contribute towards sales as well.

However, let's not break out the joy lube just yet. Nintendo have still got themselves an uphill battle. There's a few third-party games slated for April (Injustice, Toki Tori 2), but right now the biggest problem is still a lack of games, particularly first party games. Right now, they need to focus all their efforts on mainlining Pikmin 3 and Wonderful 101 and getting them out there. Even if they're not quite done, at least get some fucking release dates going. The fact that these were both supposed to release near launch, and we still don't have any release dates, is unacceptable. I know Nintendo don't like to rush their games, but they've fallen into the bad habit of delaying games, then announcing a release date at the last minute and pushing them out the door with little fanfare.

People won't get excited for a game when they've got no fucking clue when it's coming out.

They also need to start giving us more pre-release info. Back in February, they made a blindsider of a Nintendo Direct, announcing killer games left, right and centre. Since then, they've given us nothing. Come on Iwata! You want people to be excited for the Wii U? Release a video showing some Shin Megami Tensei x Fire Emblem gameplay. Show us some gameplay for Bayonetta 2. Give us a proper look at this 'X' game Monolith Soft are working on. Show us Wind Waker HD footage. Yes, we've seen photos. Now show us how that game looks in motion.

I'm not expecting any Mario or Smash Bros footage before E3, but it's still laughable that Nintendo is sitting on killer titles like those, and actively killing hype for them by not showing them. I get that they're particular about pre-release info, but right now, they need to be throwing everything they've got at gamers. When we're seeing footage for Battlefield 4 and The Last Of Us and Watchdogs, a "We're working on these awesome games, trust us" simply can't compete.

On the plus side, hopefully Monster Hunter 3's success will encourage Capcom to stick with Nintendo. Right now, they need every third party publisher they can get. But in order to win this uphill struggle, Nintendo is going to have to stop sitting on their hands, and start showing off the games they're working on. The fact that we've still not seen any new Pikmin 3 footage, and the game is supposed to be fucking out now... the mind boggles.

The only thing I can think is that they're deliberately keeping the first part of 2013 quiet so that they can go into the holiday season against the PS4 and Nextbox bringing the thunder. Which is all well and good, but that's not going to help when the system is barely surviving now.

Hopefully this might convince them to port the HD version for the PS3 over here since i don't want to buy a 3DS or a WIIU.

Spacewolf:
Hopefully this might convince them to port the HD version for the PS3 over here since i don't want to buy a 3DS or a WIIU.

And the Vita! Please the Vita.

Awesome sales anyway, hopefully this shows them that the western world loves the game just as much as some of the eastern markets leading them to give faster western releases for Monster Hunter 4 and other MH games.

...is there no advertising for this game or am I blind?

I had no clue this was coming out on the 3DS! I always wanted to give the series a shot since it looked freaking sweet but I don't own a Wii/WiiU.

So I can't contribute to the UK sales since I'm from 'Merica (U-S-A! U-S-A!) but I certainly will have to give this game a look-over.

Yeah, hoping this gets a PS3 release or something because of these sales. It's not really enough for me to get a WiiU for yet and I haven't seen much else coming out that generates interest.

Spacewolf:

The PS3 is region free. You could definitely import a copy of Portable 3rd HD.
Only downside is that it's all in japanese.

x-Tomfoolery-x:

Spacewolf:

That would just get confusing for armours and weapons, plus i like reading the mission briefs it gives you. At least i did in the first one.

Still waiting for my 3DS copy to arrive in the mail, looking forward to it! I haven't played a Monster Hunter game before so I trust that this will be a great introduction into the series.

Well, I wouldn't say it was a 'smashing success', only hitting 7th despite being on 2 platforms, but it has done fairly good in the UK.

Mr.Mattress:
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate is 7th in UK Sales Charts. 55% Of Sales come from the 3DS, but more importantly, 45% Come from the WiiU, and it makes up nearly 50% of the value of WiiU software sales across the board. MH3U also is number 2 on the WiiU's UK eShop. What does everyone think? Is the WiiU Starting to make a turnaround, at least in Europe? Or is this only temporary?

I think it's a turnaround. Nintendo needed Good games to be launched on the System, and since 3 really good games (This, Lego City and Need For Speed) are released, the system will finally start seeing sales.

Also, share your thoughts on the success of the game!

I'm confused.

Number 7 on the chart. Is that the 3DS and Wii U version combined or separate? If it is separate, how many units sold on the Wii U?

hazabaza1:
Yeah, hoping this gets a PS3 release or something because of these sales. It's not really enough for me to get a WiiU for yet and I haven't seen much else coming out that generates interest.

Pretty much my reaction right here.

Great to see that Monster Hunter is doing well, but it's not going to be enough for me to warrant buying a new console and there really isn't much else on the WiiU that I'm interested in.

Spacewolf:

x-Tomfoolery-x:

Spacewolf:

That would just get confusing for armours and weapons, plus i like reading the mission briefs it gives you. At least i did in the first one.

Nah. Portable 3rd HD in Japanese is one of the easiest games to play. It's always very obvious based on the monster pictures in the quest what you will be fighting and there is many guides that tell you what the English translations are. Soon enough from playing it you will forget it's Japanese and be going on a pluthora of quests.

Maxtro:

I'm confused.

Number 7 on the chart. Is that the 3DS and Wii U version combined or separate? If it is separate, how many units sold on the Wii U?

Versions combined, with the 3DS version accumulating 55% of the sales, and the WiiU accumulating 45% lf the sales.

Terramax:
Well, I wouldn't say it was a 'smashing success', only hitting 7th despite being on 2 platforms, but it has done fairly good in the UK.

True true. I consider charting though a very successful thing, especially for a niche title like Monster Hunter.

SlaveNumber23:
Still waiting for my 3DS copy to arrive in the mail, looking forward to it! I haven't played a Monster Hunter game before so I trust that this will be a great introduction into the series.

It's a fantastic addition to the series, and although the WiiU version looks better, MH3U I'd say is the definitive version of the 3rd generation of Monster Hunter games (The 3 games being Tri, Portable 3rd, and Tri Ultimate). I recommend a Circle Pad Pro, but you can do just fine without it with practice. It's a great game with lots to do! I'm loving it on my XL <3~

Does this mean they'll release the game on anything other than Nintendo consoles at any point in the next hundred years?

I hope more people get the 3DS version. So we can get more local groups together.

Well that is fantastic! I got my 3DS version of Monster Hunter myself and I am loving it thus far, plus I can feel slightly smug in the fact that I am contributing to the effort of trying to get Capcom to realize that releasing Monster Hunter games in the West is ultimately worth it. But....What about my country? The United States? How well is it doing over here? I haven't seen any sale charts or anything of the sort to indicate whether or not MH3U is doing any good.

I originally got the 3DS in anticipation for Pokemon X and Y. Then I heard about Fire Emblem: Awakening form here and Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate from my brother.

Almost needless to say, I have much to occupy my time, happily, as I await the coming of Pokemon X and Y.

Thank you Professor Oak for that shiny Charmander you game me in SoulSilver ^.^

Yeah saw MH3U running at the local game store and it looked pretty sweet still not enough for me to consider getting a WiiU though. Personally I am waiting for Bayonetta 2 and X from Monolith those two could tempt me.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked