Good music that came from bad games.

I was going to put this in Off-Topic and label it as "Good music that came from bad [ANYTHING]" but I'd rather just simplify it like this.
So I went back and I listened to Super Sonic Racing (which I haven't listened to since I played the game when I was like, 8) and I realized that the song is actually pretty good. The game is crap but that song is COOL. Well, I like it, at least.
SO!
Ever heard a good song come out of a bad game?

/thread ggwp

So bad it's good. SO BAD!

I would also say Deadly Premonition but that game wasn't *bad.* Just really freaking weird and unpolished. No idea which bits were intentional or not either.

The XBLA version of Centipede and Millipede has some good techno, for some reason the genre is barely used in games and I'm struggling to think of another recent one which has featured it. Poor video incoming but until I can get back and make one myself it's the best I could find on my phone;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yivLLHhEu7Q

I try not to drag up Mass Effect 3 as it is talked about so damn much, but in my honest opinion, the game was a bad one. What it did have though, was a fantastic soundtrack. It seems to be a speciality of Bioware's to make amazing music for their games (as well as quality voice acting).

I can't really pick out one individual song as being above the rest, because so many of them need the context of the scene they are in, but they fit the mood perfectly.

Sonic '06 had some lovely music. Like this:

The final boss variation on the theme was really good, too. The vocal version was just awful, however. All the vocal music in the game was, imo, but your mileage may vary.

Damn, I was hoping to post Sonic 06 first. >:(

Well, I actually liked some of the vocal songs in the game. For example:

Probably the only good thing that has come out of Silver's story line.

Well as my colleagues have pointed out, modern sonic sucks except for the music.

Jeez. So much... "Love"? for Sonic here in this thread.

LMAO at the Sonic... love/hate here XD. Well, we know Sonic games suck but at least their music is good lol.

EVERYBODY DO THE TRASH COMPACTOR!

WET's entire soundtrack is freaking awesome. Also, Anarchy Reigns isn't a "bad" game, persay, but it's soundtrack far outstrips it's gameplay.

Fester's Quest for the NES was probably the worst game ever to have an awesome soundtrack.

Wow, that is a LOT of Sonic games.
I honestly can't think of any examples. It's been a while since I played an absolute crap game, and all the videogame music I own comes from games I loved.

Silver Surfer sucks hard because of how unreasonably difficult it is, but anything on the soundtrack is right up there with Ducktales Moon Theme.

Courtesy of Tim Follin. He and his brother Geoff were masters at creating awesome tunes despite the limited hardware they had to work with.

OMG.. that Kinect Star Wars shit is everything that is wrong with the world and the entire Star Wars franchise.. uber fail

Ordinaryundone:
WET's entire soundtrack is freaking awesome.

Same here. I even put in the disc after completing it just to listen to the tracks. Good choice sir.

Ordinaryundone:
Anarchy Reigns isn't a "bad" game, persay, but it's soundtrack far outstrips it's gameplay.

Yeah this.
If they sorted out a lot of the multiplayer bullshit and connectivity problems this wouldn't stand true, but as it is, the soundtrack is by far the best thing to come out of AR.

Also Kinect Star Wars, of course.

sextus the crazy:
Well as my colleagues have pointed out, modern sonic sucks except for the music.

Someone hasn't played Sonic Colours, which even Yahtzee admitted was a great game.
Plus Sonic Generations was a great game in the eyes of...well everyone who wasn't Yahtzee, but thats Yahtzee, it would be wierd if he didn't point out everything bad about a game.

I Wanna Be The Guy. That game is pain, but the soundtrack is great to listen to.
Wait...does that count?

Advent Rising. Mediocre-meh game, but goram, that soundtrack.
Google it if you get a chance. Can't embed 'cause of this phone. :(

While easily one of my favorite games to come out that year, and certainly up there (for me) in the series, a lot of people believed it was horrible. But one of the best experiences in it is definitely the soundtrack. Combined with the speed (I fly cockpit, 'original' controls), radio chatter and sound effects, it just blew my mind flying in the MiG 31 Foxhound:

Edl01:

sextus the crazy:

Someone hasn't played Sonic Colours, which even Yahtzee admitted was a great game.
Plus Sonic Generations was a great game in the eyes of...well everyone who wasn't Yahtzee, but thats Yahtzee, it would be wierd if he didn't point out everything bad about a game.

Whoops. Forgot about those ones. Okay, sonic up until those games.

I quite liked the soundtrack from Sonic Unleashed and the daytime levels themselves but the night time levels were not as fun as I'd hoped.

World Map theme happens to be my favourite since it reminds me of Disney/Universal theme park entry themes.

Probably the soundtracks to Modern Warfare 2 and 3, Hans Zimmer is a legendary conductor.

Fire Emblem: Sword of Seals is a pretty mediocre game, but it's got some good'uns.

Right, this might be cheating as it's the 8 bit theme orchestrated, but...come on! Doesn't it get you pumped?

don't know if this counts as bad, but I've herd more negative things then good.

http://youtu.be/78bj6ebUVqA

I'd have to nominate Tommy Tallirico's soundtrack to Advent Rising.
here's a couple of tracks from it

There's an awful lot of Sonic stuff, so I'd like to add an entry (even though I have no idea if its from one of the bad Sonic games). Though while not from a game directly, it *is* an OCRemix.

Freaking love the hell out of this thing. You really have no idea.

leethal:
don't know if this counts as bad, but I've herd more negative things then good.

http://youtu.be/78bj6ebUVqA

It funny, because in the story that song is Sam B's single hit that he never manages to top and eventually comes to hate because it's all people ever want him to sing.

Drakengard is an ugly game with godawful gameplay, but its soundtrack does "descent into homicidal mania" really well.

I never did play it, so I can't judge the quality of the game, but the soundtrack was the only thing I wanted from DMC: Devil May Cry.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked