Let's talk about Killing Floor

Pages 1 2 NEXT

If you know what Killing Floor is, and don't lie, you do, then you know that the prospect of squad based survival has hardly an equal in the sense of execution. It has a massive sense of appeal to me, because once I was introduced to the with-friend survival Zombie mode as an extra in the Call of Duty Franchise, there was only one thing left that I wanted from the experience, the ability to actually win. Unfortunately for Call of Duty Zombies, there was no actual end (That I know of), and the sheer lack of variety in the type of zombies one fought (Though it has been improved) is still less than remarkable. So where would one go if they had the wish to spend even more money on a game that focuses solely on that mechanic in general? Of course, Killing Floor. In addition to the wide variety of experiments one faces in the more than broad selection of stages, there is an actual ending. A climax, a boss, the Patriarch. You can actually attain some sad semblance of a sense of accomplishment from finally watching him tumble around after you and your friends struggle to kill him. That's only the tip of the advantages that the game will give you though. In addition to an actual ending there are tons of stages, with customization in the factors of the difficulty in length ranging from Short-Easy, To Long-Hell, making each and every stage even more. Adding on the this already fantastic improvement, each person can choose a perk that they want to go into the battle as, Engineer, Medic, Sharpshooter, Berserker, Demolitions, Firebug, or Assault. Each of these perks has a set of goals to meet that will increase the effectiveness up to 6 levels as you play, making your favorite way to play that much more enjoyable. Even with all this though, the best part would undoubtedly be the integration of the Steam Workshop utility. Any and all modders can and do update their own weapons, skins, levels, enemies, and my personal favorite, more complex AI for the enemies so they are much more aggressive and dangerous.

If you haven't tried this game in the past, or haven't hear of it at all, you are at a loss, and it is definitely worth your time if you are into that sort of thing. I recommend that you have some friends to play with, but it isn't necessary, you will rarely find yourself unable to find a lobby online to join and play. At least put this game into consideration for it's replay ability.

It's a good game. 248 hours on record for me. Granted I haven't played it in a long while.
The community for it is a little strange, but better than most online shooters.

If you have Steam (who doesn't) and your looking for a good co-op zombie FPS (which are really mutants), then by all means buy this game.

That is impressive. Have you peaked out all of the perks yet? I am sitting level 1 on all aside from a level 3 berserker, and a level 5 sharpshooter.
Also, I find that the community for that game has a lot of people who lack the tactical sense to do what make sense, I hope to set up an actual squad and tackle each map one by one until I've finished them all.

DTH1337:
If you have Steam (who doesn't) and your looking for a good co-op zombie FPS (which are really mutants), then by all means buy this game.

Exactly, couldn't have said it better myself, my good man.

It's a great game, had troubles with it in the past though.

There just isn't enough enemies, I mean you have the weak guys, the stronger guys, rocket dudes, screamers and the berserkers, there is the patriarch but it's just the boss.

Also, while the voice acting is quite funny 'cos that type of accent just doesn't exist anymore. It gets repeated so. Fucking. Much! I end up muting it and putting a podcast on.

Very good game - it's pure fun, mowing down hordes of enemies. It's even better with friends, especially on LAN, where you can shout at each other. But I also play a lot of solo - it's OK. I manage Normal difficulty most of the time, on Hard...I have a hard time, although I usually finish KF-Farm (it's my favourite map - it's quite open, so there is a lot of room for running and manoeuvrability). Very Hard...tends to be a problem. Although I think I need to level up my perks a bit more.

Oh, and the strategy I found quite good when dealing with the Patriarch is to pick up a Flare Revolver, even if you're not a Firebug - just shoot the big baddie until he kneels and then quickly switch to the revolver and light him on fire - that way when he runs away, you can still keep track of his location. Heck, I just go hunting for him rather than wait until he pops out.

Also - playing Berserker is pure madness. Especially if you pick up the Dwarfs?! Axe - it's the most hilarious weapon I've seen.

Indeed it is a good game. Steam says I've invested 118 hours in it so far, and that number would be significantly higher if my friends who I'd play it with weren't all at university with bad internet.

I like how uncoordinated teams will definitely get their asses kicked, and proper teamwork is almost always rewarded. The last two times I went on it (without my usual teammates) I had to carry my team through the whole game because they'd all die very early on from being shit. Even then though, I got lots of enjoyment out of being the lone survivor who took down 120 specimens solo before the next round.

I have it. Played it for a bit, but haven't committed to multiplayer yet on account of time.

I have the game, bought it during a steam winter sale on a whim because mowing down mutant christmas elves seemed worth the $5. Haven't played it extensively. I played it maybe 3 times total, then completely ignored it. Part of it is because I've never been able to get a full team of friends playing it, and I don't enjoy playing with randoms, and part of it is that I just don't like the aesthetics of the game at all, everything in it just looks so damn ugly and dreary. It seemed pretty decent fun though, the few times I did play it, and I definitely understand why people would like the game.

WHO NEED SOME DOSH?

It's a great game to play with friends, yeah. Me and my friends laugh all the way to wave 10 most of the times. Except when we die horrible cause one of us messed up horribly and we end with 2 fleshpounders....pounding us.

Wonderful game. I love how its still supported even when it came out in 2009? I think. I enjoy the Berserker the most, followed by demo. Very few first person shooters have decent melee combat as well and Killing floor is one of the few I know of that do

Ok now Im going to go redownload killing floor and play it a bit, havnt done so in probably 6 months so this should be fun

omega 616:
It's a great game, had troubles with it in the past though.

There just isn't enough enemies, I mean you have the weak guys, the stronger guys, rocket dudes, screamers and the berserkers, there is the patriarch but it's just the boss.

Also, while the voice acting is quite funny 'cos that type of accent just doesn't exist anymore. It gets repeated so. Fucking. Much! I end up muting it and putting a podcast on.

You should link me the Podcast,
Enemy types are:
Clot - Main bulk of the horde, tiny, slow, weak, but grab you. Deadly in groups.
Gorefasts - Faster, stronger, way deadlier in groups, big sword hand.
Bloats - The chubby slow, resilient, they vomit on you similar to the boomer from Left 4 Dead, but only do damage.
Sirens - Screamers, I call them Witches, they get close and just yell your ears off, they ignore armor when dealing damage.
Husks - The Rocket launcher enemies, decently resilient, shoot flaming rockets at you from far away.
Scrakes - More resilient than husks they carry a chainsaw and sprint after taking so much damage.
Fleshpounds - Huge, extremely powerful, extremely resilient, and go into rage after seeing the character for too long or taking enough damage.
Crawlers - I hate these buggers. Weak, but fast, crawl out of every kind of place, and most of the time you don't notice them until they are close enough to pounce at you.
Stalkers - Invisible or cloaked until they attack, you can sort of see them, but they are pretty strong when they hit you, low health though.
Patriarch - Boss, super strong, fast, cloaks, heals after taking enough damage, has a Gatling gun, lobs grenades, and runs away sometimes just to annoy you.

The variety can get a little dull after a while, but I like to think that the modding of the behaviors of the enemies, and the included varying difficulties can make up for the stale experience, I have accumulated a long while on the game (Though not as much as anyone has said on here) just recently by picking up some new levels on the Workshop. I think the mass appeal is about getting a good squad together that you have fun playing with, not necessarily one that wins all the time. That would be like refining your strategy to the point where the game gets more and more dull, unfortunately that is the path that most other players take.

DoPo:
Very good game - it's pure fun, mowing down hordes of enemies. It's even better with friends, especially on LAN, where you can shout at each other. But I also play a lot of solo - it's OK. I manage Normal difficulty most of the time, on Hard...I have a hard time, although I usually finish KF-Farm (it's my favourite map - it's quite open, so there is a lot of room for running and manoeuvrability). Very Hard...tends to be a problem. Although I think I need to level up my perks a bit more.

Oh, and the strategy I found quite good when dealing with the Patriarch is to pick up a Flare Revolver, even if you're not a Firebug - just shoot the big baddie until he kneels and then quickly switch to the revolver and light him on fire - that way when he runs away, you can still keep track of his location. Heck, I just go hunting for him rather than wait until he pops out.

Also - playing Berserker is pure madness. Especially if you pick up the Dwarfs?! Axe - it's the most hilarious weapon I've seen.

I've had good luck with FlameBugs on my team lighting the Patriarch up and being able to follow him to kill him. Then there have been other ways now with the addition of the Zed Eradicator in the game. I absolutely adore being a berserker, I play on it so that I can slice the heads off of everyone for the fun of it, I am having trouble getting the axe, as I don't have the attention span to play a game of Dwarves?! F2P and try to get the score so that I can get it for free, nor the money to just buy it. It's good that I'm not the only one still playing the game, but I feel like the game is still going to be going for a long time, though not a lot of people talk about this game. I just feel there should be more talking about it.

bojackx:
Indeed it is a good game. Steam says I've invested 118 hours in it so far, and that number would be significantly higher if my friends who I'd play it with weren't all at university with bad internet.

I like how uncoordinated teams will definitely get their asses kicked, and proper teamwork is almost always rewarded. The last two times I went on it (without my usual teammates) I had to carry my team through the whole game because they'd all die very early on from being shit. Even then though, I got lots of enjoyment out of being the lone survivor who took down 120 specimens solo.

Depending on the game length I play I can get anywhere between 200 kills (Medium) to 500 (Long) I almost 100% of the time will carry the team, even if I come in up to 3 rounds late. The best part of the game is feeling like Billy Bad A$$ and crossbowing a Fleshpound in slow motion while the rest of your team watches in amazement. It's a jolly feeling. I recommend it.

Atmos Duality:
I have it. Played it for a bit, but haven't committed to multiplayer yet on account of time.

I am sorry to hear that, I hope that you have the time to play in the future as it is a great experience.

Dirty Hipsters:
I have the game, bought it during a steam winter sale on a whim because mowing down mutant christmas elves seemed worth the $5. Haven't played it extensively. I played it maybe 3 times total, then completely ignored it. Part of it is because I've never been able to get a full team of friends playing it, and I don't enjoy playing with randoms, and part of it is that I just don't like the aesthetics of the game at all, everything in it just looks so damn ugly and dreary. It seemed pretty decent fun though, the few times I did play it, and I definitely understand why people would like the game.

The aesthetics of the game are reminiscent of a gritty old English horror film. Especially when you are in a spectator camera. Getting together a group of people to play is nearly impossible, I have been trying for months and have managed to get two individuals to play with me separately on two completely unrelated occasions. Sometimes randoms can be alright, but I find myself feeling a bit annoyed when they aren't quite up to par with the friends that I have gotten to play with. I think some of the best appeal that comes with assembling a troupe of people you know are the stories that you will be able to share in the future, whereas sharing those moments with strangers is just as empty as playing the game solo is for me.

Agente L:
WHO NEED SOME DOSH?

It's a great game to play with friends, yeah. Me and my friends laugh all the way to wave 10 most of the times. Except when we die horrible cause one of us messed up horribly and we end with 2 fleshpounders....pounding us.

The enemies are extremely accurate for their names aren't they?
Clot - Tons of them that slow you down
Gorefast - Gore. Fast.
Siren - Loud screamy annoyence.
Stalker - Stalks.
Crawler - Crawls.
Husk - Actually not so much.
Scrake - Not sure about this one either.
Fleshpound - Pounds flesh.

The game is pretty straightforward in that sense. Which adds a degree of humor in my opinion.

Windcaler:
Wonderful game. I love how its still supported even when it came out in 2009? I think. I enjoy the Berserker the most, followed by demo. Very few first person shooters have decent melee combat as well and Killing floor is one of the few I know of that do

Ok now Im going to go redownload killing floor and play it a bit, havnt done so in probably 6 months so this should be fun

I'm glad that it was as easy as that to convince you to do so. The only issue I can find with playing as a Berserker, is that when you are playing with people who either don't know your style, or haven't designated an area for you to guard, there really isn't much killing to get. What I mean by that are the individuals with guns making the life of a berserker more reminiscent of a scarecrow.

I've put nearly 100 hours into the game but my internet isn't stable enough to play it any more; getting disconnected two or three times a match kills any enjoyment. Wonderful fun when my internet is working fine and I can get a couple of my buddies playing though.

Killing Floor is great, but it can get pretty stale playing by yourself.

There are dedicated communities that do the higher difficulties well, but for the most part if you just click a random server and play, you're going to have anywhere between 1 - 5 deadweight players who dont know what they're doing and wont listen to help :P

I bought Killing Floor on a whim when it first launched, but it quickly became one of my favorite co-op games and favorite "zombie" shooter. Personally, I find it more enjoyable than the Left 4 Dead games (I'm not saying they're bad, mind you).

One of my favorite weapons is actually the basic Lever Action Rifle. It's cheap, light, accurate, reasonably powerful (provided you aim for the head) and has a large ammo supply. It makes short work of just about anything except the big bruisers. Plus, it just feels supremely satisfying to use. Actually, most of the guns have a nice, weighty feel to them.

Vlunce Crociata:

Depending on the game length I play I can get anywhere between 200 kills (Medium) to 500 (Long) I almost 100% of the time will carry the team, even if I come in up to 3 rounds late. The best part of the game is feeling like Billy Bad A$$ and crossbowing a Fleshpound in slow motion while the rest of your team watches in amazement. It's a jolly feeling. I recommend it.

I know the feeling quite well. I tend to play on Normal difficulty, so I usually end up with at least two or three inexperienced players. I try to help them out as best I can, but I often find myself soloing waves when the Fleshpounds show up (focus fire, people). I just roll with it and treat it as a personal challenge. KF is one of those rare games where it's actually fun to carry a team instead of being a chore.

I love this game. One of the best zombie shooters I have ever played. Great time with friends, tons of maps, tons of guns, teamwork is a necessity, and it is one of the most satisfying feelings in the world to take out he patriarch.

For those wondering what the patriarch is, imagine the tank from Left 4 Dead. Now give him about 3-4 times more health. Give him the ability to move very fast. Give him a chain-gun. A cloaking device. A rocket launcher. And the ability to heal himself three times.

Everyone on the team really needs to coordinate to take this guy down. ESPECIALLY on higher difficulties. One mistake on Hell On Earth... ouch. But when the slow-mo hits and you see him blown to bits... best feeling in the world.

porous_shield:
I've put nearly 100 hours into the game but my internet isn't stable enough to play it any more; getting disconnected two or three times a match kills any enjoyment. Wonderful fun when my internet is working fine and I can get a couple of my buddies playing though.

It's unfortunate to hear that your internet has lost its luster, and I know that it is hard to get a few good friends to play, especially when schedules change. It's just one of those games that you have around and if you know that another of your friends isn't busy and has the game is something that you can always suggest. As for moderate dis-connectivity, maybe you should look into joining private lobbies where one of your friends is the host, I believe that you can enact host based game pausing, just as though you were in single player, and if you were to get lost, you could jump back into the game and keep it going. I know it isn't ideal, but sometimes you just want to play a game that badly. It's one of the only two games in my Steam Favorites, the other being Star Wars Knights of The Old Republic II.

Elijin:
Killing Floor is great, but it can get pretty stale playing by yourself.

There are dedicated communities that do the higher difficulties well, but for the most part if you just click a random server and play, you're going to have anywhere between 1 - 5 deadweight players who dont know what they're doing and wont listen to help :P

Playing by yourself can actually be quite fun if you challenge yourself. Consider this, as I have done it on more than a few occasions, get a few people who aren't familiar with the game to play single player on your computer (Or in my case, laptop) while an external monitor allows the others to watch, judge, comment, cheer, or pick on them. It actually leads to a lot of fun times among the group, and if you are as lucky as I am, one of your friends will buy the game and you can play with them.

As for dead weight players, it's tough to teach them how to work in a squad environment. The worst part isn't the people who aren't doing well, it's the people who are doing exceedingly well, and refuse to share any of the glory. There is no shame in being the person to top the team, but when you start to treat your team like an encumbrance, then the entire experience is robbed from everyone. With the boosted amount of infected because of the multiplayer setting, it's unlikely that one lone wolf will be able to take on the entirety of the horde, but if you can get everyone to work together, you might just make those friends that you need to build your squad with.

Killing Floor is an absolute blast, especially with mates. One of the best co-op experiences you can have IMO.

Plus it runs on my piece of shit laptop which is a bonus :D

Neverhoodian:
I bought Killing Floor on a whim when it first launched, but it quickly became one of my favorite co-op games and favorite "zombie" shooter. Personally, I find it more enjoyable than the Left 4 Dead games (I'm not saying they're bad, mind you).

One of my favorite weapons is actually the basic Lever Action Rifle. It's cheap, light, accurate, reasonably powerful (provided you aim for the head) and has a large ammo supply. It makes short work of just about anything except the big bruisers. Plus, it just feels supremely satisfying to use. Actually, most of the guns have a nice, weighty feel to them.

Vlunce Crociata:

I know the feeling quite well. I tend to play on Normal difficulty, so I usually end up with at least two or three inexperienced players. I try to help them out as best I can, but I often find myself soloing waves when the Fleshpounds show up (focus fire, people). I just roll with it and treat it as a personal challenge. KF is one of those rare games where it's actually fun to carry a team instead of being a chore.

There is nothing wrong with the Left 4 Dead series, it's actually an exceptional set, the only problem would be with the lack of variety, though they sought to remedy that with the installment of the second game, personally, I thought it felt more like an extensive expansion pack rather than a game of it's own. And the animations and feel of the weapons is actually quite good, you've made an excellent point in that. The clunky weaponry feels clunky, and the recoil of such weapons is adequate without being overwhelming. As well as the perk based reduction systems, I never find myself complaining about the amount of recoil, rather subconsciously compensating for it, which is a good sign. I think that the fascination coupled with carrying the team is so gratifying in this game because in order for the entire team to last, you have to have that person on the top of the team who was just a keystone factor in that success. While in other games the top person on the team literally made it, and is more like a stand alone entity of his/her own, on Killing floor, they all support each other to an extent that makes your victory more shared with the team, other people don't comment on "Kill Stealing" or things of the like, because each kill is against overwhelming odds, that as a whole are ultimately good for everyone.

I know that there hasn't been one time that I was on the bottom of the team and thinking "This sucks", and instead found myself thinking, "So long as they are dead, then who cares?". Which for a person of competitive nature such as myself, says a lot.

Valkrex:
I love this game. One of the best zombie shooters I have ever played. Great time with friends, tons of maps, tons of guns, teamwork is a necessity, and it is one of the most satisfying feelings in the world to take out he patriarch.

For those wondering what the patriarch is, imagine the tank from Left 4 Dead. Now give him about 3-4 times more health. Give him the ability to move very fast. Give him a chain-gun. A cloaking device. A rocket launcher. And the ability to heal himself three times.

Everyone on the team really needs to coordinate to take this guy down. ESPECIALLY on higher difficulties. One mistake on Hell On Earth... ouch. But when the slow-mo hits and you see him blown to bits... best feeling in the world.

Instant gratification! I like when the Patriarch gets finished off with a sniper or similar bullet based weapon, so he slow motion tumbles around.

Hazy992:
Killing Floor is an absolute blast, especially with mates. One of the best co-op experiences you can have IMO.

Plus it runs on my piece of shit laptop which is a bonus :D

The graphical intensity of the game is fantastic for the amount of hardware it takes to run it. I swear this game looks fantastic on it's lowest settings, and would run on a potato and a few wires.

I have about 173 hours on Killing Floor here (probably more from when I played it back when it was just another UT2004 mod) Haven't played it in about a year or two though, maybe I should change that.

Don't forget mod servers. Self-sacrifice via the holy hand grenade on a 35-man server against hundreds of zeds at once can be a lot of fun. Also, planning turret setup... always nicely chaotic.

Great game but what bothers me about it is that if you play in low numbers and don't have all the corners watched, zombies can literally spawn right behind your back which sometimes feels really unfair.

Aeshi:
I have about 173 hours on Killing Floor here (probably more from when I played it back when it was just another UT2004 mod) Haven't played it in about a year or two though, maybe I should change that.

I know at least one person who thinks that you should change that.

loc978:
Don't forget mod servers. Self-sacrifice via the holy hand grenade on a 35-man server against hundreds of zeds at once can be a lot of fun. Also, planning turret setup... always nicely chaotic.

While that sounds like loads of fun it sounds a bit bandwidth intensive, I have a decent laptop, I don't know if it would be capable. I think I would need a friend on the inside to get me into such a lobby. Does sound like fun though.

Vhite:
Great game but what bothers me about it is that if you play in low numbers and don't have all the corners watched, zombies can literally spawn right behind your back which sometimes feels really unfair.

I know the feeling quite well. It has lead to some extremely funny moments in my own personal experience, there have been quite a few times when I have shouted while I ended up going into Zed time and slow motion spun around to find myself literally flooded in Gore fasts.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here