So, my PS3 just died.

Pages PREV 1 2

Baron von Blitztank:
Sorry to hear about that.

Goddammit, I didn't need to remember that scene, man!
All this damned rain...

OT: Mine kicked the bucket last summer. It got to the point where it would overheat in about 10 minutes, forcing me to switch it off. It was the original 40Gb model which had served me well since '08. I traded it in for a slim 140Gb model that's nice and quiet, but I still miss the old beast.

Mine stopped reading blu ray disks last month. I was going to get a new one, but I don't really miss it. I might get a Wii U instead...

Johnny Novgorod:

rhizhim:

Johnny Novgorod:

That sucks. I had every intention of picking up Pokemon Gold again :(
Oh well, I'll have to find a job I guess.

or you could just try to change the battery in the cardiges if it doesnt save properly..

or like others said, clean it with "pure" alcohol.

There's a YouTube video for specifically fixing a Pokemon Gold cartridge for the GameBoy? INCONCEIVABLE.

or so you think! bwhaahahahahahahaha.

you fell into my trap of infinite procrastination!

uahaha uahaha uhahaha uhahahahahahahaha!

I'm on my fifth or sixth Xbox 360. One of them broke two or three days after I bought Fallout 3. At least the slim model seems to be holding up. My PS2 is over 10 years old, and it still works perfectly. If I ever join the next console generation, it will not be before the redesigned models are available. Fool me seven times...

Oh man, my condolences. I don't know what I'd do if my consoles start breaking down... all the save files, memories, efforts.
When my Xbox got RROD I almost broke down, thankfully after I sent it to Microsoft, it's going strong ever since.

Leemaster777:
That sucks, dude. My first PS3 died on me a couple years after buying it... but that was totally my fault.

See, apparently, I didn't realize that leaving my PS3 running all day, every day, and leaving the same game (and sometimes the same SCREEN) running all day would EVENTUALLY cause the darn thing to fail. That was spectacularly dumb of me. But the thing is, it never really broke COMPLETELY. I'm not sure exactly why, but games with 3-D graphics, like Borderlands and Batman: Arkham Asylum, started spazzing out and getting weird graphical problems involving characters models getting stretched out to wonky proportions. Eventually, it got so bad, that certain games just flat-out froze at certain points (Borderlands was the worst offender). But games that used 2-D sprites, like BlazBlue, seemed unaffected.

So I can't really fault my PS3 for my dumbness, and if anything, I think it's pretty impressive how long it lasted considering the stress I put the thing under.

Sounds like a rendering error (Software issue). Wouldn't say something physically broke, but given there aren't exactly user downloadable drivers that can be installed manually it might as well be.

Loss of saves is caused by a battery, which can be replaced to be fine? It's unbelievable (Jeff)! Gonna fix up my Pokemon Yellow and Silver (Red still works fine, suspiciously...).

My PS3 broke last year. It made it all the way to the credits of Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter (cracking film, not surprised it held on) before giving up. I keep wanting to try a home fix, even if it's just long enough to back up saves and deactivate the account, but since it's just a 'turn straight off' problem, advice is divided on what's wrong with it.

ItsNotRudy:

Johnny Novgorod:
Sorry for your loss. My GameBoy passed away recently (well, it got Alzheimer's, since it can't remember save files).
How old was your PS3, by the way?

Save files are stored in the game cartridge, not the device...

You'd be surprised, My Zelda game doesn't save on normal Gameboy, but it does save on my Game Boy Advance.

Don't know why, but it does.

chiefohara:

ItsNotRudy:

Johnny Novgorod:
Sorry for your loss. My GameBoy passed away recently (well, it got Alzheimer's, since it can't remember save files).
How old was your PS3, by the way?

You'd be surprised, My Zelda game doesn't save on normal Gameboy, but it does save on my Game Boy Advance.

Why would I be surprised? The save is still saved on the cartridge. Your other GameBoy has simply lost the capability to write to the game flash.

That sucks, I still have mine from about 4 or 5 years ago and it still works fine, but granted I have the Slim model. My 360 on the other hand has had more than enough problems (I have the original 20GB launch model).

ItsNotRudy:

chiefohara:

ItsNotRudy:

Why would I be surprised? The save is still saved on the cartridge. Your other GameBoy has simply lost the capability to write to the game flash.

'You'd be surprised' is just a colloquialism where im from.

It wasn't meant literally :)

SanAndreasSmoke:
I've owned an Xbox 360 for over 3 years.

Mine got RROD about 2 years 11 months in. MS fixed it free. It lived another 3.5 years when the disc drive stopped working. Knowing the 720 and PS4 are coming, I sold games and working parts for PS3 games and will live with the PS3 only till the next big thing.

I am bummed that I missed out on Halo 4. Rats.

ITMT: good to know thermal paste may resolve yellow light. My PS3 collection is large enough I hope it holds me over till the bugs are worked out on gen 8 and there is a library of must have games for gen 8 (if they're coming at all... marketing guy predicted, linked to this site, that there wouldn't even be a gen 8. He was wrong. But how wrong? Gen 8 can flop and be replaced by gaming devices sold in our TVs.)

Might get Bioshock Infinite. I don't need it but the reviews have been so crazy.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here