Gripes About Bioshock Infinite

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Just finished up my first playthrough and felt like voicing some complaints. I'll get the spoiler ones out of the way first.

Now for some non-spoiler, basic mechanic gripes. For starters, I didn't like the fact that you couldn't save your game at any point. This means that if you're part-way between checkpoints and have to leave, you've got to start over from the last checkpoint you reached. I liked being able to save where I wanted and when I wanted, like in the first two games.

Also...what the hell happened to the map? One of those would have come quite in handy...especially when trying to find all the locked chests and Vox Secrets.

Maybe it was just that I was playing on Medium, but it seemed like you pretty much have infinite ammo during combat. I was able to take the first sniper rifle and first RPG you find in the game all the way to the end. I only changed my sniper rifle for the shotgun in Comstock house because I discovered the joys of Charge-Shotgunning people, up until then I had been using the Bronco and easily sniping the helpless fools out of the air. But no matter what gun you're using, whenever you get low, Elizabeth is there - for the most part - to throw you some more ammo. Same thing with health, though it doesn't necessarily save you if you're getting your ass handed to you, but if you're hurting here comes a free medkit out of nowhere. Just seemed that it made the combat a little easier to deal with than it was in the first two games.

And finally, I miss Booze Hound and having an ice power. :(

All in all, I loved the game. As most people rave, it's got absolutely fantastic story telling and the world is truly beautiful. My favorite thing about the game is that it's a living, breathing world, and a damn beautiful one at that. You get to see the city BEFORE the shit hits the fan, unlike arriving in Rapture to find an already dead and destroyed world. The funny thing about the ending is that I feel like I don't understand it...and yet at the same time I do. If you've beat the game you should know what I'm talking about...I think my nose is bleeding...

P.S. The most money Elizabeth flipped to me in a single coin was $275...that's a big coin.

P.S.S. Fucking hate those god damn Sirens.....

RJ 17:

RJ 17:
Maybe it was just that I was playing on Medium, but it seemed like you pretty much have infinite ammo during combat. I was able to take the first sniper rifle and first RPG you find in the game all the way to the end. I only changed my sniper rifle for the shotgun in Comstock house because I discovered the joys of Charge-Shotgunning people, up until then I had been using the Bronco and easily sniping the helpless fools out of the air. But no matter what gun you're using, whenever you get low, Elizabeth is there - for the most part - to throw you some more ammo. Same thing with health, though it doesn't necessarily save you if you're getting your ass handed to you, but if you're hurting here comes a free medkit out of nowhere. Just seemed that it made the combat a little easier to deal with than it was in the first two games.

On Hard I had to abandon my weapons midfight during every large battle, especially if there was no vendor around. I couldn't rely on Elizabeth and her supplies, since the enemies hit too hard and are seemingly everywhere.

I was afraid in the beginning that Elizabeth's ability is too OP, but honestly, it barely makes a dent (although it is a life-saver in many cases).

Okies, from the top.

As for the rest:

I'm neutral on the game saves. God knows I played it long enough that I only had to leave it a few times... >_>

A map would've been... nice. Very nice, actually. Especially if I could mark shit down on it. Why do they never include the ability to mark the map? I forget easily, damnit.

Feeling that the game is too easy? Play on hard mode. Pretty much the only way I won was hunkering down behind a piece of cover and hoping they either didn't try to flank me or stayed still long enough for me to draw a bead on them with my rifle. And god forbid if they had Hailfires. Fucking indirect weapons with explosive rounds... Rendered half my hiding spots useless, and the other half increasingly perilous. Playing on hard mode? You'll run out of ammo. You'll be constantly harassed down to no shields, you're usually half health, and god forbid you run out of ammo when you're facing a patriot or a handyman. Elizabeth saved my ass more times than I can remember, and to top it off, I don't have to look after her! Such a blessing. Be glad for that free medkit, because the rest of them are in a tear on the other side of the battlefield.

And the ending left me bouncing up and down and swearing with excitement and sadness. I wanted them to go to Paris... :(

Averant:
Snip

I got the voxophones in the Finkton area talking about how his brother was finding tears and writing great music and how Fink was going to try to use them to make hismelf rich and famous too, but apparently I missed the one that talked about studying a biologist because yeah, I had no idea.

:P But that's one of the things I didn't get about the game. In one of the pre-release videos, they said they liked making it in the Sky because they noticed fans of the other games rarely looked up, and so putting it in the sky definitely encouraged that. Yeeeeeeeeet I spent the majority of the game with my nose to the ground, searching for those damn voxophones.

And I half-figured that had to be the case on Hard, because Medium was just too easy (I like to start out there with all games so I can get a feel for the gameplay before putting myself to the test on Hard), Elizabeth literally never lets you run out of ammo and I'd say a good 80% of the time she's there with a health-pack in case of emergencies, but only one ever minute or so.

But Elizabeth is the source of another gripe of mine that I forgot to mention....her face gets stuck with whatever emotional response the last story-bit you pass through ends with. Now it makes sense that she'd be pouting and scowling for a good long while after the bits where you say something that pisses her off. But if it ends with something confusing or strange, she gets this brow-cocked, mouth partly open "wtf?" kinda look that sticks on her face until you get to the next story bit. It's just awkward having her be all pissed-off pouty or stuck in "wtf" mode as she's still happily flipping you coins or leaning against/sitting on something.

Well now that I know (mostly) all the secrets of the plot, time to play through with a guide to help me find the voxophones, think I missed a good solid 20 of the damn things...and apparently a lot of the answers I seek are hidden in those.

Averant:
Okies, from the top.

As for the rest:

I'm neutral on the game saves. God knows I played it long enough that I only had to leave it a few times... >_>

A map would've been... nice. Very nice, actually. Especially if I could mark shit down on it. Why do they never include the ability to mark the map? I forget easily, damnit.

Feeling that the game is too easy? Play on hard mode. Pretty much the only way I won was hunkering down behind a piece of cover and hoping they either didn't try to flank me or stayed still long enough for me to draw a bead on them with my rifle. And god forbid if they had Hailfires. Fucking indirect weapons with explosive rounds... Rendered half my hiding spots useless, and the other half increasingly perilous. Playing on hard mode? You'll run out of ammo. You'll be constantly harassed down to no shields, you're usually half health, and god forbid you run out of ammo when you're facing a patriot or a handyman. Elizabeth saved my ass more times than I can remember, and to top it off, I don't have to look after her! Such a blessing. Be glad for that free medkit, because the rest of them are in a tear on the other side of the battlefield.

And the ending left me bouncing up and down and swearing with excitement and sadness. I wanted them to go to Paris... :(

I wouldn't sweat it man, literally everything except the Avengers gets called cliche on the Escapist.

Also while we've got this thread going, what the hell did the post-credits scene mean?

I absolutely loved the story but I felt that the gameplay itself was somewhat of a step down from the first two games. The shooting was solid and smooth but the gameplay felt a little shallow to me compared to what I was expecting/hoping for.

Vigors for example felt like a get out of jail free card rather than a tactical weapon, most of them were simple, just hit a single button and all your troubles go away.

Another problem I had was with the weapon upgrades. They were all just boring standard upgrades, like damage improvement, recoil reduction or clip size increases. It would have been nice to see some upgrades which offer more utility to a weapon or just do something a little more interesting. Also some of the less conventional novelty weapons like the RPG, Heater or Hail Fire felt a little useless.

The handymen were a particularly big disappoint for me, they didn't live up to the big daddies in the previous games at all. Because they were not optional they didn't really offer much of a challenge or a reward, also there were a very small number of them in the entire game[1]. I found that you could pretty much outrun them and deal with them by running away, turning around and shooting for a short time before turning your back to them and running away again, repeating this process until they died. This and the fact that there was no variety between individual handymen[2] always made my encounters with them feel rather underwhelming.

Don't get me wrong, I really loved playing the game, the story aspect was wonderful but I felt like there was room for improvement in the gameplay aspect.

[1] Four if my memory is correct.
[2] At least in Bioshock 1 the Big Daddies had Rosies, Bioshock 2 had even more variety.

Sexy Devil:

Averant:
Okies, from the top.

As for the rest:

I wouldn't sweat it man, literally everything except the Avengers gets called cliche on the Escapist.

Also while we've got this thread going, what the hell did the post-credits scene mean?

That was another gripe that I had.

Okay, I just finished the game literally an hour or so ago.

Gripes? Yeah, I have a couple.
I agree with your points about not having manual saves, and no map. Those would've been really useful.

I'd also like to add the 2 weapon limit as a bit of a gripe. I mean, come on! This is a Bioshock game! We're supposed to be able to carry an entire arsenal around with us! (No matter how unrealistic that might actually be)

These three things (no manual saves, no map, and 2 weapons at a time maximum) were all gripes that the previous games didn't have. So I guess that's why I missed them.

Did NOT miss the lack of a hacking mechanic this time though.

Oh, another thing, though not really a gripe.

Elizabeth trapped me in the corner of a room once.
She wouldn't get out of the way, I couldn't PUSH her out of the way, and I couldn't jump over her.
I had to reload from the last checkpoint save, and lose a whole lot of gameplay. I wasn't too happy about that.

Another time, going up an elevator, Elizabeth didn't get in. She got left behind.
Booker then had a conversation with her, despite her not even being there at all! (She warped-in correctly after the elevator's loading screen however)

ugh, companion AI eh? It's never perfect.

RJ 17:

What do you mean?

SlaveNumber23:
The handymen were a particularly big disappoint for me, they didn't live up to the big daddies in the previous games at all. Because they were not optional they didn't really offer much of a challenge or a reward, also there were a very small number of them in the entire game. I found that you could pretty much outrun them and deal with them by running away, turning around and shooting for a short time before turning your back to them and running away again, repeating this process until they died. This and the fact that there was no variety between individual handymen always made my encounters with them feel rather underwhelming.

I think you may be looking at it the wrong way. Yeah there weren't any variety when it came to the Handyman, but that was just one enemy in a class of "heavy hitters". You also have the Patriot, the Boy of Silence, and the Siren. Not to mention all of the variety that exists in the normal enemies. You have your heavy, armored enemies with rpgs or volley guns, your sniper enemies, your machine gunners, and your guys that try to club you to death (for some reason). Then you have the crow people and the firemen mixed in to muck stuff up. I actually liked the enemy variety in this game.

I second the absence of a normal save function. It's just stupid not to have that. I suppose I could blame it on the consoles as I always do in situations like this one, but there's a lot of console games that allow the player to save or load at any point.

Also, the final encounter is boring as hell. Instead of a good old-fashioned bossfight you get some stupid "protect the objective" sequence.

Also, I believe that limiting the amount of weapons carried by the player impacted the game negatively. All the guns feel the same, there are no interesting or unique ones. This makes the gameplay a bit stale in my opinion.

Oh, and the Siren. That thing made me bite my keyboard in frustration. If you have an enemy that is capable of endlessly resurrecting lesser fallen enemies, then these lesser enemies shoud drop bullets every time they are killed. The player should also have multiple ways of preventing the enemies from being resurrected. I thought that maybe popping their heads with the revolver would stop them from rising again, but nope, their heads just regrow as they rise. Also, the song that plays whenever she's around starts to grate after about five seconds.

TopazFusion:

She wouldn't get out of the way, I couldn't PUSH her out of the way, and I couldn't jump over her.
I had to reload from the last checkpoint save, and lose a whole lot of gameplay. I wasn't too happy about that.

Another time, going up an elevator, Elizabeth didn't get in. She got left behind.
Booker then had a conversation with her, despite her not even being there at all! (She warped-in correctly after the elevator's loading screen however)

RJ 17:

What do you mean?

You.. you're a mod now?!!?

Well shit... :)

I wondered if other folks had problems with Elizabeth's pathing, she also trapped me in a room. Also, in the Shantytown skylines she jumped on right in front of me and I bumped into her enough to slow me down and get killed :/

But those are minor hiccups at best.

Yeah, I hate the checkpoint system. If I want to replay the Handymen fights or much of the Skyhook arenas, I have to replay... maybe four hours of the game, just to get to one point that I like.

And gunplay felt really easy. The only games with drawbacks were the Repeaters, Burst Guns, the Pistol, and the Bird's Eye/Sniper Rifle, because at least they chewed through ammo or didn't have enough bang. The Shotgun and Heater absolutely destroyed everything in the general direction you aimed at. Weapons like the Volley Gun and Crank Gun gave you too much fire power and little drawbacks. The Handcannon was, without a doubt, the best gun for being super accurate and almost no reload time. At least in Bioshock, weapons were rather powerful, but you hardly found more than maybe ten shots instead of Infinite's entire magazines, and money was a lot more scarce and you couldn't hold as much money.

And holding two weapons. Really, I just rocked the Handcannon and some other heavy hitter (Shotgun, Carbine, RPG) for the whole game.

And the weapons in general got boring! What happened to Bioshock's Chemical Thrower, or Crossbow, or Grenade Launcher that could shoot Heatseekers and Proximity Mines? All weapons in Infinite are either hitscan or explosive.

I also miss the unique models for giving upgrades to your weapons. It at least gave a feeling of steampunk and customization to your weapon.

And I miss First Aid Kits and Eve Hypos. Nothing was as hardcore in battle as stabbing yourself with a Hypo. Now if you're low, Elizabeth will toss you one for no drawbacks, and you find them everywhere.

Still. Really fun game, but it just wasn't as much of a Bioshock game.

TopazFusion:

RJ 17:

What do you mean?

I think it's the Boys of Silence, easily the coolest thing in the game.

TopazFusion:

RJ 17:

What do you mean?

Heh I see you understand my pain of "No Saving Whenever You Want."

Really the only graphic glitch I ran into was Elizabeth warping to a wall or bench or something when she wanted to sit or lean on something. She'd be standing next to me, then just zip right over to said wall or bench.

As for the Sirens, what's not to like about a flying enemy that's incredibly tough to kill that can summon up an entire army of the dead in a matter of moments? /sarcasm :P

With the weapons, yeah, it definitely slowed me down only being able to carry 2 at a time. However they made it so that you always keep all the ammo you find for any given gun, even if you're not currently carrying it, so no matter which gun you pick up you'll pretty much always have full ammo for it. So that wasn't too bad.

I did, however, miss the hacking mechanic. That was another one of my gripes. For starters I didn't like how god damn expensive Possession was (that's what kept me from using it more, even with the upgrade that cuts its "casting cost"), but beyond that hacking turrets is only temporary (except the flying ones, those seem to stay hacked permanently). I can understand not being able to perma-charm a Patriot since those things are walking death machines, but come on, let me at least keep the damn turrets without worrying about clearing out a battlefield and then having the turret suddenly turn hostile again and start shooting at me.

I'd take hacking over possession any day.

TheYellowCellPhone:

TopazFusion:

RJ 17:

What do you mean?

I think it's the Boys of Silence, easily the coolest thing in the game.

Come on, fellas! Was I the only one that watched the "Beware the Sirens" Heavy Hitter trailer? Sirens aren't the guys with the horns on their heads, they're the ghosts that go around conjuring armies of pissed of nazi zombies in a matter of 3 seconds. You know the ones, hard to point out when you've got 20 angry guys with guns shooting at you, constantly bouncing around the field, take damn near forever to kill...

RJ 17:
Come on, fellas! Was I the only one that watched the "Beware the Sirens" Heavy Hitter trailer? Sirens aren't the guys with the horns on their heads, they're the ghosts that go around conjuring armies of pissed of nazi zombies in a matter of 3 seconds. You know the ones, hard to point out when you've got 20 angry guys with guns shooting at you, constantly bouncing around the field, take damn near forever to kill...

Meh, why do trailers count for anything?

The fact is that the final game doesn't have Sirens, only

RJ 17:
Really the only graphic glitch I ran into was Elizabeth warping to a wall or bench or something when she wanted to sit or lean on something. She'd be standing next to me, then just zip right over to said wall or bench.

Reminds me of a rather hilarious and creepy time when Elizabeth suddenly appeared behind a locked gate in a cemetery and stood staring out at me until I moved far enough away for her to warp out of there. It also felt like I had quite a few moments of "Hey, where'd Elizabeth go?" only for her to appear right next to me a second later.

My biggest gripe right now? Well I'm stuck very near the end of the game in which you're supposed to stop what is essentially an army from destroying something you're supposed to be protecting. On Hard it made me want to snap my controller in half. I turned it down to Medium after about seven failed attempts and it didn't seem to make much of a difference, but I ragequit after two tries of that. I hear the ending is incredible, but I honestly doubt it'll be worth continuing to put myself through this torture. Christ, and people thought the Little Sister escort mission near the end of the first BioShock was bullshit.

If there is one single complaint about the narrative, its that the vigors make little sense in this game.
don't get me wrong, from a gameplay standpoint its extremely fun, and no one would consider making a "Bioshock" game without them, but from a narrative viewpoint, they don't make as much sense as the Plasmids did in the first Bioshock.
the Plasmids, were a large part of the whole "ADAM","Splicer" and "Little Sisters/Big Daddy" angle that played a very large part in the world of Rapture and its downfall as a whole.
and much of the point of Bioshock was about how you can make great advances in science in the absence of moral limitations of the research (stem-cell research taken to its "fear mongering" conclusion).

there was nothing in Colombia that justifies having "super powers in a bottle" to that extent.
and since there doesn't seem to be the same level of mental decay that splicing causes, there is no logic to having most of the population being "baseline" humans despite ready access to such powers.

Mr.Tea:

RJ 17:

Meh, why do trailers count for anything?

The fact is that the final game doesn't have Sirens, only

Well in this case they at least count for giving you the proper name of the enemies.

You need to play on hard difficulty.

There's a lot less ammo. I frequently ran out during the bigger fights, leading to some desperate moments.

Also, on hard, Elizabeth doesn't throw you stuff anywhere near as frequently as what you're describing on medium. She'll sling you ammo now and again and save you with timely health kits or salts, but she certainly won't keep you in ammo for the whole game.

The enemies are a lot beefier. Handymen in particular are kind of terrifying. They'll kill you in 2-3 hits and soak bullets something fierce. Even the motorized patriots are tough enough o be scary if they get close. Regular enemies are tough enough that I stopped using the shotgun because it wasn't killing fast enough, even with upgrades.

Maybe I'm a lot worse at FPSs than you, but I found playing on hard to be downright frantic.

There weren't any manual saves? I didn't notice.

bladeofdarkness:
If there is one single complaint about the narrative, its that the vigors make little sense in this game.
don't get me wrong, from a gameplay standpoint its extremely fun, and no one would consider making a "Bioshock" game without them, but from a narrative viewpoint, they don't make as much sense as the Plasmids did in the first Bioshock.
the Plasmids, were a large part of the whole "ADAM","Splicer" and "Little Sisters/Big Daddy" angle that played a very large part in the world of Rapture and its downfall as a whole.
and much of the point of Bioshock was about how you can make great advances in science in the absence of moral limitations of the research (stem-cell research taken to its "fear mongering" conclusion).

there was nothing in Colombia that justifies having "super powers in a bottle" to that extent.
and since there doesn't seem to be the same level of mental decay that splicing causes, there is no logic to having most of the population being "baseline" humans despite ready access to such powers.

Actually...

EDIT: Most of the enemies in the game aren't using vigors at all, there are only two enemy types that use them (Crows and Firemen), and I believe that they are sufficiently weird.

With regards to the sirens: If you use Shock Jockey (which you should never not be using since it's the single most useful Vigor in the game after the chain lightning upgrade) the enemies disintegrate into piles of ash. Unfortunately, this just makes the fight with the siren harder because she won't stand still long enough to hit. The real strategy is to just focus fire on her while she's resurrecting and then play with the little guys while she's goofing around.

My game was glitch-free, but maybe that's just me. I was playing on an Xbox 360, for reference, because I wasn't sure my aging graphics card could handle a game that new.

@ Where the vigors come from

@ Gameplay
I'm still sore about adding a shield to a Bioshock game, but there was more cover in this one, so I'll give it a pass. What I won't give a pass is only being able to carry TWO FRIGGING WEAPONS. At least Duke Nukem Forever let me have FOUR. Yes, that's right, I'm comparing Bioshock Infinite gameplay to Duke Nukem Forever gameplay, and the DNF gameplay is winning. I don't care if you want to add weapon restriction, but the option to carry four weapons would have been a godsend.

@ Ending

@ The Final Battle
I didn't really have an issue with it. Once again, though, I used almost entirely Shock Jockey, and I was relying pretty heavily on the Hand Cannon because achieveables. Just use the rails to move quickly and be sure to get the Motorized Patriots before they get the generator, and you should be fine. Then again, I played on normal so...

I will say that I'm happy they didn't have another boss battle like in Bioshock 1. The Bioshock 1 boss wasn't really a challenge of your skills so much as a war of attrition. This battle took full advantage of all the skills you had acquired and put them together into a massive battle. I liked how

uncanny474:
@ Where the vigors come from

Yeah I feel like they explained it in a throwaway line just so they could justify having as part of the gameplay again. Like Plasmids before it, this game's focus was firmly on the tears, so it chose to weave that into the narrative and gameplay.

RJ 17:

Ohhh, okay. I never knew the names of the enemies, so I wasn't quite sure which ones you were referring to.

But yeah, you do have a point about the Possession not being permanent.

In the previous games, I made a point NOT to destroy the security devices where possible, and hack them all instead.
Mainly because the splicers often respawn when you leave the room. It's nice to hear the security get set off in a room behind you, and know that its got your back.

So yeah, it felt like a waste destroying turrets and such in Infinite, simply because they cannot be permanently converted.

Gripes? Yeah, I have a few. 1999 mode is kicking my ass. The shotgun guy... that first one at the ticket station, took forever to die. He just stood and ate an entire clip of machine gun rounds while he loaded me with buckshot. And then, when I finally got his shotgun, I pointblank loaded it into someone and they didn't die. I died because they melee'd me which took away nearly everything I had... 100% of my shield and 80% of my health. This makes the shotgun pretty worthless in 1999, as far as I'm concerned. And I think it's quite enough to just have enemies as tanks and me as a creme brulee without taking 100+ dollars everytime I die. I've played System Shock 2 and it wasn't this unforgiving.

Anyway, while I don't miss the mini game of hacking... I miss the hacking. I liked being able to permanently take care of machinery without wasting a gobshite amount of my precious ammo.

I miss the special ammo because it allowed me to save up for specialized enemies.

The vigors in this game are all but useless because the effects don't last more than 10 seconds. And the trap versions cost more, are just as aoe as the targeted version and do just as much damage, which is pointless. You don't get a good stun until well into the game. And finally, the costs of upgrading these powers are through the roof. They don't need to cost that much. Weapon upgrades cost less and you can get more of them. Vigors are pointless.

And I miss the utility plasmids. The gear is alright but it's friggin random. I want to choose what load-outs I get. And none of them ups my defensive abilities. I wish I could get more opportunity to survive the NPCs that know they can just run up on me and survive full clips of ammo.

I miss being able to set up strategic points of defense. There is none of that in Infinite. No corner has good cover and most defensive areas have a second entrance so you can get flanked. Okay okay, there are a few places like hallways that open into rooms. But the enemies can soak up so much damage that they can successfully rush you and you can't set anything up besides what you could just throw at them anyway. I thought I was going to be alright playing super offensive in 1999 mode until SOMEONE TOOK A SHOTGUN BLAST AT POINT BLANK RANGE WITHOUT FLINCHING.

In Bioshock and Bioshock 2, you could find a loadout that works for most situations except for special enemies and tough situations. I have yet to find any combination of anything that is useful for most combat in Infinite. I'm sure once I get Bucking Bronco I'll have an easier time... but until then, I'm not having any fun. If we don't specialize we die, but we can't specialize in the good stuff until way late. Which means we'll die a lot until we get there. And dying takes all of our money so we can't specialize on the good stuff when we get to the good stuff. Either we spent our money specializing on lesser stuff or we lost it because we died.

Also, I wish they had a list of what was left in a chapter to gather. Y'know... sightseeing spots... infusions... voxphones. Maybe only seen from the chapter select after you beat the game, but still. I'm down to 3 sightseeing and I really, really, don't want to have to randomly explore every chapter over again just to find them, I'd like the ability to narrow my searches. If they aren't going to let us manually save... or explore areas we've already been... then they have to give us something else we can do.

</rant>

...the two weapons thing didn't actually bother me all that much. I mostly just use my favorites anyway. The rpg didn't hit any harder than any other gun but carried less ammo, I didn't care to use it except to get the achievement. The flack cannon had the same problem but is harder to aim. The shotgun seems to be as useful as a pretty wet sneeze because I have to get in close, it doesn't kill when I'm close, and no matter what enemy it is, one melee and I'm nearly dead. The carbine is pretty good put replaceable by the hand cannon. The sniper is great and I'm going to use it a lot. In fact, I'm probably going to use the sniper for long range and carbine (until I get the hand cannon) for less long range. I'll need the shirt that gives me ammo, the hat that can make me invincible for getting a health item, the pants that give health when I'm low and kill an enemy and maybe those boots that up the damage when aiming. Then a little Bucking Bronco for crowd control and the occasional shock or crows for the heavy hitters that are immune to everything else. Not sure which infusions I should focus on, the shield is pretty useful as long as I'm not being melee'd so I might stick with that first. Then the salt infusions. I might just make it through. Money will be an issue though, because dying is on the menu. Yeah, I need that hat first.

...even if I have to constantly reload the second chapter.

Ishal:

I wondered if other folks had problems with Elizabeth's pathing, she also trapped me in a room. Also, in the Shantytown skylines she jumped on right in front of me and I bumped into her enough to slow me down and get killed :/

But those are minor hiccups at best.

Oh, definitely, but I can't say I was surprised. AI pathing is never perfect. From what I'm hearing, though ,there's a surprising amount of bugs that people run into for a triple A game that isn't made by Bethesda. I got trapped in a barge cabin, and couldn't get out because I couldn't move far enough away. And then there was that time

RJ 17:

As for the Sirens, what's not to like about a flying enemy that's incredibly tough to kill that can summon up an entire army of the dead in a matter of moments? /sarcasm :P

The Siren was one of those enemies where I hid behind a wall and hoped to god they didn't flank me. The first couple battles, they did, but they were easily taken care of. The last time they didn't, but they had a hailfire heavy, so I'm getting constantly bombarded. The siren was bullshit, really. -_- Infinite lackeys that hit just as hard as the regular ones, and just as much health as a handyman.

FootloosePhoenix:

My biggest gripe right now? Well I'm stuck very near the end of the game in which you're supposed to stop what is essentially an army from destroying something you're supposed to be protecting. On Hard it made me want to snap my controller in half. I turned it down to Medium after about seven failed attempts and it didn't seem to make much of a difference, but I ragequit after two tries of that. I hear the ending is incredible, but I honestly doubt it'll be worth continuing to put myself through this torture. Christ, and people thought the Little Sister escort mission near the end of the first BioShock was bullshit.

That scene is actually fairly easy, tactically. You use the songbird to take down the heavy hitters, such as the blimps or the rocket barges. If you've got a spare Songbird, you can even use it to take down the patriots, once they move to certain areas. If you can't, then just pack a shotgun and Return to sender, and go take out the infantry. The patriots actually half ignore you, so once you take care of the men, you can focus on the patriots, especially because they turn their backs on you. Just pack a handcannon or a carbine, something with a lot of damage. Don't waste your shotgun ammo, I've found that doesn't do much to them.

I finished that on hard, so it's not impossible. Chin up, mate! You'll get through it!

I've got a few small ones, the first one is the fact that Staltonstall and Charles don't make an appearance! I was looking forward to kickin' their butts. Also, the vigors, maybe it's just me but compared to the Plasmids from Bioshock they feel kinda... worthless, the only one I really enjoy is Devil's Kiss because FIRE IS OUR FRIEND!

RJ 17:
Just finished up my first playthrough and felt like voicing some complaints. I'll get the spoiler ones out of the way first.

Now for some non-spoiler, basic mechanic gripes. For starters, I didn't like the fact that you couldn't save your game at any point. This means that if you're part-way between checkpoints and have to leave, you've got to start over from the last checkpoint you reached. I liked being able to save where I wanted and when I wanted, like in the first two games.

Also...what the hell happened to the map? One of those would have come quite in handy...especially when trying to find all the locked chests and Vox Secrets.

And finally, I miss Booze Hound and having an ice power. :(

All in all, I loved the game. As most people rave, it's got absolutely fantastic story telling and the world is truly beautiful. My favorite thing about the game is that it's a living, breathing world, and a damn beautiful one at that. You get to see the city BEFORE the shit hits the fan, unlike arriving in Rapture to find an already dead and destroyed world. The funny thing about the ending is that I feel like I don't understand it...and yet at the same time I do. If you've beat the game you should know what I'm talking about...I think my nose is bleeding...

P.S. The most money Elizabeth flipped to me in a single coin was $275...that's a big coin.

I pretty much agree with all your gameplay gripes. I hated having to rely exclusively on an autosave system!

As for the ending...

P.S.

FootloosePhoenix:

RJ 17:

Reminds me of a rather hilarious and creepy time when Elizabeth suddenly appeared behind a locked gate in a cemetery and stood staring out at me until I moved far enough away for her to warp out of there. It also felt like I had quite a few moments of "Hey, where'd Elizabeth go?" only for her to appear right next to me a second later.

A hint that worked well for me

TopazFusion:
Snip

And see, that's one of the reasons I liked the hacking mechanic, so you could perma-hack turrets and cameras to be on your side. I think one of the reasons they didn't do that in Infinite is because every now and then you'd have another battle in a place where you'd already fought, so if you already had turrets in place they could wipe out the ambush before it begins. I think a good way around that, though, would to have had them be perma-hacked for the battle at hand, but if once you leave that battlefield, the turrets become hostile again.

Dreadman75:
Snip

I have another problem: The bit on the airship when you can control Songbird and have to protect this energy core thingy from the Vox might be kinda awesome but annoying as hell. It's basically an escort quest, in which the escorted party cannot move or defend itself and has all the health of a Big Mac.

One of my gripes of the game was how combat oriented it was combined with the two-weapon system.
I'm completely fine with the earlier given the setting and the turmoils that Columbia faces, but the later was just tedious.

You should have been able to pick up all the weapons and had a wheel like you did with plasmids.
Tactics and realism went out the door the second that you went to a flying city, were able to hold a chaingun alongside an RPG and had access to a majority of the weapons in any given area at any given time.

The upgrade system was also scrubbed out, meaning that your weapons no longer change visually when you spend the dosh to make them better. The upgrade system is still there, only you buy them from a vending machine and it seems rather hollow in comparison to the original Bioshock where each upgrade was monumental and amazing.

There are also a few points in the game that I feel were bullshit.
Mainly *spoilers for the latter half and last spot of gameplay*

Goddamn were those annoying.

Oh, and the saving system. Complete shite. You can't save on a whim like you could the other titles, instead you have to rely on "auto-saving checkpoints" which appear every so often. Sometimes they appear a lot in a short time and sometimes you have a good 20 minutes plus gameplay in between them. So if you want to quit you have to essentially keep playing until you see the symbol in the upper right lest you wish to lose a varying amount of progress.

There are my complaints.
Other than that, it's quite enjoyable.

Pebkio:

snip

I LOVE 1999 mode.

Its so relentlessly unforgiving... and in the cheap ways like you described. Just like it was in 1999. Its perfect.

Like you said, you need to get the good stuff and the only way to do that is to not die all the time. I suggest using shock jockey or devils kiss and getting that gear that chains the effects to enemies around the ones you initially hit. So far its really helping me out.

Its just painstakingly slow avoiding dying like that.

Though I admit, I am quite concerned about the guys with the burst guns/flak cannons. I see a lot of deaths in my future.

Ishal:

Though I admit, I am quite concerned about the guys with the burst guns/flak cannons. I see a lot of deaths in my future.

Burst guns aren't that bad.
It's the snipers and volley/flak guns that really mess you up.
The earlier instantly shatters your shield and takes a bit of your health away (a second shot will kill you or bring you to the brink of death), the latter takes about two/three hits to accomplish the same effect and people who use them are much more common and durable than snipers.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here